• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

Kamina

Golden Boy
Here's a video of where the screenshots were took. MSI Afterburner video capture makes me lose 10-15 fps so went with foliage range to high. 70-77fps in video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1UVkgL4t-s&feature=youtu.be

Without recording its high as 87-90.

Frame rate I'm referencing are in relation to the screens I posted and talk with others general performance which some are getting the same and some aren't. No bog was talked about but I'll keep a look out for crookback bog
Thanks!

I see you have quite an agressive OC.
No wonder you get these results.

What's your power level set to, 125%?
Are you overvolting?

berval

The game keeps minimizing and it's now unplayable for me. Is anyone else having this issue? I can't seem to find a fix for this.

edit: It's fixed now. It wasn't a driver issue. A loose optical cable was cutting out the audio and for some reason it was making the game minimize.

Thanks!

I see you have quite an agressive OC.
No wonder you get these results.

What's your power level set to, 125%?
Are you overvolting?

It's a 138mhz OC. I see others getting 150-200-250, not sure it's aggressive. Do you mean power limit, its at 110 if so.
Without OC still get good frames
2Ixb.jpg

Fighting a swarm of drowners with OC on.

Kamina

Golden Boy
It's a 138mhz OC. I see others getting 150-200-250, not sure it's aggressive. Do you mean power limit, its at 110 if so.
My 980 has 1127 base clock and 1216 boost.
I OCed to 1311 base and 1400 boost.
Don't know about max boost but it should be somewhere at ~1480
OCed Memory clock from 7010 to 7800.

What made you stop and not go higher on power limit?

Fighting a swarm of drowners with OC on.

Your card must have a significant factory OC. 1480 is a very good clock speed for a 970 and playing the Witcher 3 for a long period is good stress test for any OC, so it must be pretty stable.

I recommend everyone playing the game with downsampling. I have a GTX 970 and I can play the entire game on 4K downsampling on a stable 30fps. It only becomes unstable in areas with with a lot of fog and the like (strangely). I essentially treat the game like RE2 on the N64. 4K DS during most of the game and then I lower it to 2K DS during the few demanding moments. Going from 4K DS to 1080p is like going from 1080p to sub-HD. The difference is that big.

MSI afterburner, the power limit has a max of 110

Card is the launch red MSI gaming 970 4G
1140MHz Core (Boost Clock:1279MHz) (OC Mode)
1114MHz Core (Boost Clock:1253MHz) (Gaming Mode)
http://uk.msi.com/product/vga/GTX-970-GAMING-4G.html#hero-specification

Not really tried for more yet, quite happy with the temps and perf.

Zakalwe

Banned
You said

You did reply to my post which contained the screenshot of an area and seem to ask for a video, hence the video in that same area. Now I have to be in Novigrad or this specific swamp.

I did state from the outset I haven't got to Novigrad when initially replying to someone else, which was more about general performance, not a specific area and I get the same in Oxenfurt. Is Oxenfurt no good either?

The whole thing was about what you're mostly getting.

How about you fast travel to Oxenfurt and Mulbrydale and compare. Do you get 50-60 with the same settings. T'was what the video is, info to compare.

Not to start a argument, but the entire point of testing frame rates this way is to see how the game handles in various situations. Claiming 70-80 fps then only showing a very brief snippet of a low demand area isn't really helpful.

The frame rates you mention for stock speeds seem very high, too, which is why I'd really like to see a detailed and comprehensive video of stock speeds achieving those results.

I hope this doesn't imply I think you're being dishonest, I'm just very interested as I own the card (well, the MSI 970) and I'm not getting the same kind of performance. In fact, I'm about 10-20 frames below (stock speed comparison) what you have and I'd like to know why.

A more comprehensive video would be really helpful.

Kamina

Golden Boy

I mimiced your ingame settings now and saw what performance my OC would give me. (All Ultra - Shadows High)
Truns out I'm somwhere between mid 70's and 90's, except in Crookback bog where the FPS start dropping into the mid 60's when just running around and ~60 when fighting Foglets there.
That's why I initially asked you to make a video there. From my experience it is the regeion that is most demanding in the whole game.

The 1.05 patch seems improve my performance a little, especially in Novigrad. My fps might dip to 26-27 in these areas, and now it seems a little better. The game is capped at 31 fps via RTTS. Ultra settings + hbao + reshade with high foliage on HD 7870 Ghz edition.
Still no crash so far.

spuckthew

Not sure if it was just a placebo, but having disabled RTSS (turning on the 30fps in-game cap instead) the game feels a tad smoother and just seems more stable overall.

Does using the debug camera console mod affect GOG achievements and such?

Also what are people using to take these amazing shots with the debug camera? Fraps?

Edit: Oh and damn I feel for you 900 series users. After upgrading to a 970 I've had 2 driver crashes lol. Anybody know which driver to rollback to avoid these crashes?

Not sure if it was just a placebo, but having disabled RTSS (turning on the 30fps in-game cap instead) the game feels a tad smoother and just seems more stable overall.

I can't seem to feel the difference.
Tried in-game cap, fullscreen with rtts cap, Durante's borderless with rtts cap trick, all feel the same for me. I ended up using fullscreen with rtts cap so I can easily take screenshots on my gamepad.

Yoda

I'm on a Titan X @ 1440p so I don't normally have FPS issues but I was getting that occasional dip so I did some tweaking. Removing APEX_ClothCPU_x64.dll gave me about 3-4 frames ontop of what I'd been getting. From what I gather this "fix" is targeted toward Kepler users, but it helped me out too.

I'm on a Titan X @ 1440p so I don't normally have FPS issues but I was getting that occasional dip so I did some tweaking. Removing APEX_ClothCPU_x64.dll gave me about 3-4 frames ontop of what I'd been getting. From what I gather this "fix" is targeted toward Kepler users, but it helped me out too.

Hrmmm.... I may try that later.. I am curious.

Kamina

Golden Boy
But that .dll has something to do with the Physics and particle effects, not sure this is something that should be removed.

Blitzhex

Fullscreen+ingame 30 fps lock + half refresh rate adaptive vsync makes this game look so smooth at 30 fps on a 60hz monitor and I'm coming from a 144hz monitor and used to 80+ fps.
It's smoother than console 30 fps. There's still that vsync input lag though and there's tearing because of adaptive vsync and fps actually being 29.95 or something. If you change to borderless windowed you get rid of the tearing, but the game doesn't seem as smooth as fullscreen. If you cap at 31 fps instead of 30 you don't get tearing either but double the amount of input lag.

Salaadin

Looks like it was the RTSS OSD that was causing my crashes. I can leave MSI AB and RTSS up as long as I create a TW3 profile and disable to OSD for it.

Thats good. Sucks that there was an issue but at least its a simple solution.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like it was the RTSS OSD that was causing my crashes. I can leave MSI AB and RTSS up as long as I create a TW3 profile and disable to OSD for it.

Thats good. Sucks that there was an issue but at least its a simple solution.

You're welcome!

Fullscreen+ingame 30 fps lock + half refresh rate adaptive vsync makes this game look so smooth at 30 fps on a 60hz monitor and I'm coming from a 144hz monitor and used to 80+ fps.
It's smoother than console 30 fps. There's still that vsync input lag though and there's tearing because of adaptive vsync and fps actually being 29.95 or something. If you change to borderless windowed you get rid of the tearing, but the game doesn't seem as smooth as fullscreen. If you cap at 31 fps instead of 30 you don't get tearing either but double the amount of input lag.

Wouldn't a 36fps cap be better for a 144hz monitor?

Try this: cap fps at 36 in RTSS
Vsync: Off
Maximum Frames Per Second: Unlimited
Display Mode: Borderless Window

Don't mess with vsync in NCP, most (if any) doesn't work in windowed mode anyways iirc.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Ok this is something that will probably seem silly to many of you but it's bugging the shit out of me: there are water effects completely missing from the PC version on the beginning cut scene when Geralt is in the bath. When he takes out the crab animal from the water, there are supposed to be water splashes but they do not appear. You can see the effects on the console version. All settings are maxed out. It actually worked properly one time but I couldn't reproduce it no matter what I tried.

UnrealEck

Check the frame times. The in-game cap has really wild variations of frame latency compared to rivatuner's cap. With Rivatuner it sticks perfectly at the desired frame time

Ok this is something that will probably seem silly to many of you but it's bugging the shit out of me: there are water effects completely missing from the PC version on the beginning cut scene when Geralt is in the bath. When he takes out the crab animal from the water, there are supposed to be water splashes but they do not appear. You can see the effects on the console version. All settings are maxed out. It actually worked properly one time but I couldn't reproduce it no matter what I tried.

Yes people have mentioned the opening scene has weird graphical glitches and issues. Apparently they don't reappear after that one scene though.

s_mirage

Check the frame times. The in-game cap has really wild variations of frame latency compared to rivatuner's cap. With Rivatuner it sticks perfectly at the desired frame time

That's what the case is supposed to be but it doesn't seem to be that way for everyone. In my case, using RTSS is decidedly stuttery if used to lock to 30fps, no better than the in game limiter I'd say. On the other hand, no in game framerate lock + half rate adaptive vsync is pretty much perfect.

viveks86

The opening scene seems to have issues with hairworks on. Check if turning it off fixes it

I mimiced your ingame settings now and saw what performance my OC would give me. (All Ultra - Shadows High)
Truns out I'm somwhere between mid 70's and 90's, except in Crookback bog where the FPS start dropping into the mid 60's when just running around and ~60 when fighting Foglets there.
That's why I initially asked you to make a video there. From my experience it is the regeion that is most demanding in the whole game.

I have my 970 oced to 1501mhz/1900mhz with the new patch and the Byways area in velen easily takes the worst performance hit even over Crookback bog with less going on, especially around 7pm. I set my shadows and foliage to medium and now both areas never go below 60fps during encounters while running 70-90 everywhere else.

I don't remember the game getting drops like this prior to this patch and shadows and foliage were on high.

I can't seem to feel the difference.
Tried in-game cap, fullscreen with rtts cap, Durante's borderless with rtts cap trick, all feel the same for me. I ended up using fullscreen with rtts cap so I can easily take screenshots on my gamepad.

Game felt noticeably smoother for me after following Durante's PC Gamer article... odd.

Your card must have a significant factory OC. 1480 is a very good clock speed for a 970 and playing the Witcher 3 for a long period is good stress test for any OC, so it must be pretty stable.

Maximum OT

GTX 970's factory OC boost clocks usually hover around 1300-1350 (even higher sometimes) and after overclocking, a 1480MHz core clock would be a rather average OC. A good way to get even more out of the GPU is to flash a bios with 1.3v voltage combined with a higher power limit. Those MSI 4G cards have a default power limit of 110% but it can be raised pretty nicely with a modded bios. Using a custom bios like this is also known to possibly fix throttling caused by power limit or thermals. My 970 could reach 1550MHz core and 8GHz memory out of the box, with a modded bios I'm running 1650MHz core and 8400MHz memory and max temp ever reached is 71. Even though my card clocked so well some are only getting 30MHz more with a custom bios so this might not do much for every card, I'd still recommend trying this just to see how much you can get out of your card and if it doesn't do much you can always flash back to your stock bios. I'm using the same card as chromatic9.

Xyber

I tried this, did absolutely nothing on my 970. Did a ~1 minute test where I took the exact same route with it on and removed. The difference in my average FPS was less than 1FPS, 1FPS more in max and 2FPS more in minimum. Those differences are more likely because of small differences in the world between my tests and not really because of the fix.

Results may of course vary depending on hardware. This was with a 970@1450MHz and i7 4770K@4.3GHz.

Okay so twice today I've run into the same weird problem:

After I turned off the Witcher when I was playing earlier today, I noticed the time on my computer was like two hours off, it pretty much seemed to have froze when I started playing for the day. I also was not connected online to my steam friends list, and I couldn't get on the internet when I clicked on a browser. So i restarted my router and everything seemed to work okay and I manually changed the time to what it should be.

Played again just now for two hours, and basically the same exact thing happened. I realized this time the internet is totally fine outside of this specific computer. I also got some kind of nvidia pop up about a crash, but it didn't effect me playing the game at all while i was playing.

What is annoying is that the timestamps on my saves are all weird now, so I have to manually find the save I want because clicking restart or continue will take me to not my most recent save.

Anyone have any idea what the hell is going on?

Could the crashes be related to GoG Galaxy client? I've been playing w/o the client for a few days and no crashes.

RTSS and Afterburner still being utilized.

Mononoke

Banned
I'm thinking my CPU is bottlenecking my performance. I'm away from my computer and on mobile, so I can post my specs later. But I have a GTX 980 Galaxy OC edition, and with all Ultra Settings on except Shadows and Foiliage Distance High, I get 45-50 (up to 55) FPS. What's strange is, even if I turn off Hairworks, I'm not reaching 60 FPS. I'll make other tweaks and can't seem to get it to budge. I'm at 2560x1080p.

I'll post back later when I can give my exact specs. I probably should have waited, my apologies.

Gartooth

I really want to play this game, but I'm not sure what version to buy. I was hoping I could get some help about the technical requirements for the PC version here.

Basically, as far as I know I should be able to run Witcher 3 on PC, but it won't be max settings and I was wondering which would look better between PS4 and PC on my current rig.

I believe these are all the relevant PC specs:

Processor: Intel i5 CPU -- 650 @ 3.20 GHz
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 560 Ti
Memory: 8192MB RAM

Zakalwe

Banned
Just tried a modest stock voltage OC on my MSI 970. +220/+500.

After a couple of hours of stress testing and benchmarking in Heaven, I only had a few minutes before bed to test in game.

Solid 60 running through Novigrad at 1080, no hairworks, everything max but shadows, foliage, grass on high. This game looks incredible when 60 is locked at (almost) max setings. At sock I was dropping to 45-50 regularly in the town.

Will turn off the fps limit and test the high/low numbers tomorrow, and see if I can max it without needing to OC it more.

The card wasn't even clipping 70, max temp was 67. Didn't test temps in game.

Great piece of hardware.

Mononoke

Banned
Just tried a modest stock voltage OC on my MSI 970. +220/+500.

After a couple of hours of stress testing and benchmarking in Heaven, I only had a few minutes before bed to test in game.

Solid 60 running through Novigrad at 1080, no hairworks, everything max but shadows, foliage, grass on high. This game looks incredible when 60 is locked at (almost) max setings. At sock I was dropping to 45-50 regularly in the town.

Will turn off the fps limit and test the high/low numbers tomorrow, and see if I can max it without needing to OC it more.

The card wasn't even clipping 70, max temp was 67. Didn't test temps in game.

Great piece of hardware.

Sounds almost exactly like my situation with my 980 (FPS wise). Need to use MSI and OC it better I guess.

Flandy

I'm thinking my CPU is bottlenecking my performance. I'm away from my computer and on mobile, so I can post my specs later. But I have a GTX 980 Galaxy OC edition, and with all Ultra Settings on except Shadows and Foiliage Distance High, I get 45-50 (up to 55) FPS. What's strange is, even if I turn off Hairworks, I'm not reaching 60 FPS. I'll make other tweaks and can't seem to get it to budge. I'm at 2560x1080p.

I'll post back later when I can give my exact specs. I probably should have waited, my apologies.

I doubt it's your CPU. From all I've heard this game is pretty lax with the CPU. As long as it's a quad core you should be fine. My i7 2600k at stock speeds is giving me no problems.

I'd assume it's your higher resoultion that's giving you issues but I could be wrong. Maybe you could try turning off Ambient Occlusion?
Also, try this.
>Nvidia control Panel
>Manage 3D settings
>Global or Program Settings (make sure to specify witcher3.exe)
>Change Power management mode to Prefer Maximum Performance

Also go check your power management settings in Windows.If you have it set to Power Saver or Balanced it might be throttling your performance.

Mononoke

Banned
I doubt it's your CPU. From all I've heard this game is pretty lax with the CPU. As long as it's a quad core you should be fine. My i7 2600k at stock speeds is giving me no problems.

I'd assume it's your higher resoultion that's giving you issues but I could be wrong. Maybe you could try turning off Ambient Occlusion?
Also, try this.
>Nvidia control Panel
>Manage 3D settings
>Global or Program Settings (make sure to specify witcher3.exe)
>Change Power management mode to Prefer Maximum Performance

Also go check your power management settings in Windows.If you have it set to Power Saver or Balanced it might be throttling your performance.

Thanks for the tips. I already set Maximum Performance in the Nvidia control panel, but haven't checked my Windows power saving options. Other then that, I have no idea why my FPS is where it's at right now.

Cerity

yeah the game can be taxing on processors, especially in cities. I started tracking it after those benchmarks were posted somewhere earlier in this thread.

While out and about my 2500k (@4.5ghz) sits about 40-50%, in novigrad in particular it sits at 95-100%.

M.J. Doja

Banned
Hi. I have an i3 4130. How big of a jump did you get from that CPU? I'm thinking of getting i5 4590.

I can't say in numbers because I didn't log anything but with the same settings, random cutscenes used to chug a little and overall it never hit 60. It was a significant jump and seemed to solve the bottleneck between visual fidelity from my video card and the smoothness from the CPU.

Game felt noticeably smoother for me after following Durante's PC Gamer article... odd.

What's the most noticeable effect that you can feel?
My game is hovering in 35-ish fps without cap, so perhaps it's the reason.

yeah the game can be taxing on processors, especially in cities. I started tracking it after those benchmarks were posted somewhere earlier in this thread.

While out and about my 2500k (@4.5ghz) sits about 40-50%, in novigrad in particular it sits at 95-100%.

Yeah, my CPU (PhenomII x4 3.2ghz) sits about 80-90% in novigrad. GPU is also at 90% in certain areas.
I'm glad I'm finally done with Novigrad.

Top Bottom