• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

This. I am using Nvidia's FXAA but with LOD bias set to allow instead of clamp, and its value is -0.5. There is minor shimmering but the image quality is good and without excessive blur. On the other hand, The Witcher 3's Temporal AA misses a lot of distant jaggies (5+ meters) and still leaves a lot of shimmering; it has a medium performance impact as well.

I have always hated blurry AA methods, but I might switch to FXAA permanently instead of SweetFX's SMAA solely because of the shimmering reduction. Lumasharpen+LOD bias seems to make FXAA tremendously viable and more well-rounded AA method.

Excuse the ignorance: How do I set a value for the LOD? I have just gone into the control panel and set it to allow but I cannot enter a value. Thanks.

BNGames

There my dual 980's at it, averaged 90fps on Ultra. Video below with OSD using MSI Afterburner

Link: https://youtu.be/5iLyqlUltnM

PC Specs:
COOLER MASTER HAF X Blue Edition
COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series RS800-80GAD3-US 800W
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO
Intel Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) - Overclocked to 4.3Ghz
(SLI) EVGA 04G-2983-KR GeForce GTX 980 Superclocked 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 ACX 2.0 PCI Express 3.0
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77
G.SKILL Sniper Gaming Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900)
Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" ASUS Black Blu-ray Drive SATA Model BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS
(Shadowplay Dump Drive) SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE120BW 2.5" 120GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
(OS Drive) SAMSUNG 850 Pro Series MZ-7KE512BW 2.5" 512GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Played with the game for around 2hours or so. Zero crashes so far. With an i5 4690k ( reverted to stock frequencies ), GTX 970, 16gb ram, it's holding 60fps perfectly running around and in combat with everything on Ultra except grass density and foliage distance which are on High. And with hairworks off of course. Without vsync, it seems to play around 70-90fps.

But i have issues with the cutscenes, they run at 30fps, seem really stuttery, and the audio is really low compared to the game audio. I remember seing a fix for the cutscenes in previous pages, some .ini changes i think ?

I officially give up for the day. That's my fourth time trying to install the game from the game disks and I keep getting an error each time. Gah. Might just try and download overnight from the GoG site with the code I have from the game. Still annoyed though....

Static Jak

So I locked the game at 30FPS, turned everything to Ultra and turned on Hairorks and I think I'll stick with it. After a while I got used to it and there's no real stutter as far as I notice anymore. And hairworks is too nice to not keep now, I spoiled myself using it. I'm actually really happy with these settings, never thought I'd be happy with 30FPS.

any fix for the random 30fps cutscenes?
Some cutscenes are pre-rendered (like the one straight after the tutorial), locked at 25FPS as far as FRAPs seems to indicate.

Bumping up motion blur should help aswell.

I hate that motion blur is only a toggle in the menus, rather than a slider. There's a setting in the user config file to change the speed and intensity of the effect, but that's not really something that should be hidden in a config file. Default motion blur is smear city, especially radial blur.

I cant seem to get my controller to work with the game, I am using DS4Tool but it just isn't working. I have tried hiding it and all that jazz and the controller works with everything else so I don't know what to do.

BraXzy

Something feels really off about the graphics in my game atm.. I played it briefly yesterday and it looked fine. I just booted it up now and everything looks like it is on less than low. Jaggies that weren't there yesterday, really poor looking geometry and textures. Everything is either on medium or high.. Does this look right? o_O

N7RUNFI.jpg

ValfarHL

Getting 50-60 fps with SSAO and everything on ultra @ 1080p.

2500k @ 4.5Ghz
970 @ 1550/7900Mhz
8GB of RAM

Gonna drop shadows and maybe something else to high, for constant 60.

Game plays smooooooth!

can someone test something? turn on hardware cursor and see if it's reducing input lag slightly for the controller. I'm wondering if it's placebo on my end.

SOLDIER

How are the console versions holding up? Real curious if anyone has done any analysis to determine if the PS4 version is equal to Medium settings on PC, or something higher.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Didn't they say the game would support the dualshock4 natively ? Or did i dream it. Because mine isn't recognized in game, and i have been playing with kb/mouse so far.

OG10

Neo Member
i7 3770K @ 4.2ghz
8GB 1600
2 x 780ti
Monitor Asus Rog Swift

Yield around 65-80fps @ 1440p on high

Hairworks kills my fps. Clearly not designed for Kepler :(

Well, so far it's all been good news for me.
Firstly the game is at 1080p and everything at Ultra except foilage and shadows which are high. Sharpening and CA are off. Hairworks on. Fullscreen.
Yet to get an accurate frame rate but I can tell it's 60 or very, very close. Only issue is cutscenes which stutter a little and the fight with the griffin where for some reason I got frame drops when zooming in with the crossbow. Generally everything is fine. Only graphic issues are rocks appearing on the road a few feet ahead of me and some pop-in on trees.
No crashes after a good 6hrs play. Also I believe V-sync is off and I get no tearing at all, even in fullscreen. But I'll need to check this.
i73770k@4.5ghz
GTX980 WINDFORCE 3X OC
8GBRAM@2400mhz
Pretty happy with performnce so far. I don't seem to be suffering from a jerky camera or anything untowards. Pleasently surprised.
I did try 1440p but I was definately at or near 30fps then. But it looks pretty good at 1080p. May try to change the AA option as posted above.

Zakalwe

Banned
Getting 50-60 fps with SSAO and everything on ultra @ 1080p.

2500k @ 4.5Ghz
970 @ 1550/7900Mhz
8GB of RAM

Gonna drop shadows and maybe something else to high, for constant 60.

Game plays smooooooth!

Recommend the following:

Grass detail: high
Foliage distance: high
Background characters: high
Shadows: high
Everything else: ultra

HBOA+
All other PP on

I get the same frames (constant 60 in the open world, 50-60 in populated towns) as you and HBAO+ is worth it.

longdi

Banned
Up to the very first village, everything on ultra except hairworks(off), SSAO, sharpening/CA (off), foilage on High, shadows on High. Its been pretty smooth on 290X at 1600p resolution. Smoother than MSGV..

Surprisingly, it uses only 2580mb of vram max, am i doing something wrong?

I'm getting to my wits end with v-sync, frame limiting, and stutter on my setup.

I just can't even get Rivatuner to limit to 30.

I just installed a new version of Afterburner (which now crashes sometimes) for the new version of MSI On-Screen Display Server / Rivatuner.

I had hoped that would result in Witcher 3 actually limiting to 30fps, as I read somewhere that updating to a 64bit Afterburner would help with that.

SURGEdude

How is performance on a 290??

Pretty good. Hairworks is the killer but with it off I'm having no issue with it above 50fps ultra at 1080p. Of course I just played around a little early this morning so likely it will dip later when I get to more complex areas.

knitoe

Up to the very first village, everything on ultra except hairworks(off), SSAO, sharpening/CA (off), foilage on High, shadows on High. Its been pretty smooth on 290X at 1600p resolution. Smoother than MSGV..

Surprisingly, it uses only 2580mb of vram max, am i doing something wrong?

Nope. This game doesn't use much vram. Even max 4K, it only uses around 3.5GB. That maybe the reason why I don't think this game looks that great. I wish there were better textures = more vram.

laxu

Didn't they say the game would support the dualshock4 natively ? Or did i dream it. Because mine isn't recognized in game, and i have been playing with kb/mouse so far.

I'm having the same issue, along with those pesky "control setup has changed" dialogs. Have to try with DS4Windows. I feel like this game might work best with a controller as there isn't all that much aiming.

Other than that the game runs really well at max detail on my 3570K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB, 970 SLI, SSD rig at 1440p. I capped framerate to 60 because I felt the game feels better to play that way. So far not a single stutter.

Having mostly played GTA V for the past month or so the movement in W3 feels odd, like it's too sensitive when on foot.

Matty8787

So getting 70+ fps during gameplay which drops to 30 during cutscenes.

My settings are all ultra and hairworks on with shadows and foliage distance set to high.

Using SLI 970's and an i5 2500k, very happy so far.

longdi

Banned
Nope. This game doesn't use much vram. Even max 4K, it only uses around 3.5GB. That maybe the reason why I don't think this game looks that great. I wish there were better textures = more vram.

I agree a lot of the world textures look murky even on Ultra....

Furthermore, i dont think the game is pushing my OC 290X harder than BF4.
With BF4 the fans go really loud faster and longer, and it even black screen of death my PC, i had to tune down my overclock.

scitek

I've been playing this on a Lenovo Y50 laptop at 1600x900 with a mix of Ultra (Water and Textures), High (just about everything else) and shadows on Medium, and it's sticking to a pretty solid 30fps. I initially copied the settings from my home PC over and was getting 10fps at 1080p with them lol

ValfarHL

Recommend the following:

Grass detail: high
Foliage distance: high
Background characters: high
Shadows: high
Everything else: ultra

HBOA+
All other PP on

I get the same frames (constant 60 in the open world, 50-60 in populated towns) as you and HBAO+ is worth it.

Thanks!

Wow, only 1700-1800MB vram usage with these settings. That's great, but also a little sad. :p

Denton

Question - is the starting area of White Orchard good benchmark for the rest of the game?

Or are Skellige/NML way more demanding ?

mr stroke

At 4k resolution- 35-40 fps maxed with hair using: 2xTitan X + i74770k
(hair doesn't seem to make much of a performance difference either way)

Salsa

so any news on finding a real performance hog or anything?

gonna start actually playing the game today (barely got out the tutorial) but im bummed about having to play at 40+fps no matter what

KaiserAlucard

Neo Member
Have:
i7 4770K @4.4Ghz
GTX 980
8Gb RAM

Manage to maintain around 50-60 fps at 1080p with foliage and shadows at high but it's not really satisfying. Would an upgrade in RAM from 8 to 16Gb would change anything?

SURGEdude

so any news on finding a real performance hog or anything?

gonna start actually playing the game today (barely got out the tutorial) but im bummed about having to play at 40+fps no matter what

On AMD hairworks seems to halve the framerate or worse. But that isn't really unexpected since it's nVidia supported and they obviously want to push people to their cards.

I'm getting a locked 30 FPS according to Afterburner but I'm noticing quite a lot of stuttering, everything is maxed out. I don't mind locking the framerate to 30 but my god the stuttering is awful.

2 X 4GB 680 Classifieds, 16GB RAM and a i7 3820 @ 4.4.

shandy706

Nothing from CDPR (comments wise) on the crashes yet?

It seems to be a massive problem for a TON of people. Definitely not a small # of unique events.

Top Bottom