• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

CHC

Honestly I prefer the way grass density looks set to low, there's less visible repetition and you can actually see the ground here and there. Looks more natural to my eye, and is still very dense regardless.

Use the extra performance to bump up the foliage distance instead.

Gbraga

first game ever where im considering locking to 30fps and going nuts

feelsweirdman

I blame the fact that I cannot get steady 60 no matter what and fps fluctuation grinds my gears

Just do it, man. 60fps is not possible for us 680 peasants.

I'm running at a so far locked 30 using shadows on medium, everything else on high, textures on ultra and HBAO+

ref

I'm getting a lot of crashes/lockups as well but only if I OC my 980s. They can usually go up to at least ~1480 to 1500s but with TW3 even 1460 is unstable.

Sounds like those overclocks weren't 100% stable then.

I know I could get through stress tests with 1480 on my 980's, but then randomly in games it'd crash.

Games are really the best way of testing stable GPU overclocks, Heaven and other stuff isn't accurate.

Brakus

Banned
Running well here, no crashes
980 @ 1500
3770K 4.6
8 GB Ram
All ultra with Hairworks on, except foliage and grass which are high. Constant 60 fps with no drops outside cutscenes

Ini tweaks: 60 fps cutscenes
Hairworks AA=4
Ubersampling cutscene=false

Zakalwe

Banned

feelsweirdman

I blame the fact that I cannot get steady 60 no matter what and fps fluctuation grinds my gears

What's your system?

Edit: Ah, 680 according to a post above. Yeh, the 30fps lock is the best idea imo. I know it hurts but the game looks pretty great still at the settings you'll be able to choose.

paskowitz

I'm getting a lot of crashes/lockups as well but only if I OC my 980s. They can usually go up to at least ~1480 to 1500s but with TW3 even 1460 is unstable.

Even if heat is not an issue, try durning your GPU fans to 100%. For some reason this worked for me.

MSI GTX 980 4G. 1500/4000, +45v, 122% pwr lmt, 85 temp limit.

kazinova

Well, shit, you get this game AND Arkham Knight for buying a 970 or 980? That makes the purchase ~$210 if you were already planning on getting those games...

Now where's my MicroCenter card?

CHC

feelsweirdman

30 FPS feels decently smooth, the game just doesn't have great feeling controls either way. I'm normally a nut for framerate above all else, but in this game I did like you said and just cranked the settings, locked it to 30 and forgot about it.

Ok, I finally managed to lock my FPS to 30 with an external solution (since 30FPS lock in-game when full-screen had horrible jitters).

RadeonPro finally did the trick. I have it set to Double Vsync. Should I force triple buffering if I have it locked to 30?

Got my Titan X in today and immediately put everything up to Ultra except Shadow Quality and Foliage Density (left it to High) and enabling Hairworks. I now have a locked 30fps @ 4k. My GTX 980 wasn't cutting it.. First game this gen to make the 980 obsolete with 4k gaming and all features enabled.

Aeana

Ok, I finally managed to lock my FPS to 30 with an external solution (since 30FPS lock in-game when full-screen had horrible jitters).

RadeonPro finally did the trick. I have it set to Double Vsync. Should I force triple buffering if I have it locked to 30?

If you're using borderless windowed mode then you don't need to force it, it's already provided.

finalflame

Asked a few pages back but didn't get a response: has anyone found a way to use custom resolutions? Have to use some gimped resolution on my TV, because 1080p overscans.

Changing it in user.settings didn't seem to "stick" :/

If you're using borderless windowed mode then you don't need to force it, it's already provided.

So I do want it, then?

I'm in fullscreen, not borderless windowed.

When I run games in borderless windowed, I get a horrible horizontal line that kind of looks like a constant static tear.

Beers

Neo Member
I'm nervous about buying the game for PC now after looking at some of the benchmarks. I have an i5 4690k at 4.6 ghz, 8gb RAM, and AMD HD 7950 at 1050/1500. My other option is to just grab the game on PS4 if its better optimized. If anyone has a similar setup and can report how performance is / about what settings you use that would be great.

ValfarHL

At least for the time being, you can't. There's a reason why the tavern is heavier on FPS than the outside - Hairworks. It tanks the FPS as closer as you get from Geralt. Seems to be a tesselation bug, no additional geometry is rendered up close (it seems), so it's a safe bet to wait for NVIDIA or CDPK and see, I guess.

Haha, that kind of sucks. My framerate is pretty much halfed when using the camera against a wall to zoom in on Geralts hair..

I don't know if it's fixable, but I'm gonna disable it for the time being.

Deadstar

I'm nervous about buying the game for PC now after looking at some of the benchmarks. I have an i5 4690k at 4.6 ghz, 8gb RAM, and AMD HD 7950 at 1050/1500. My other option is to just grab the game on PS4 if its better optimized. If anyone has a similar setup and can report how performance is / about what settings you use that would be great.

You can be sure that CDPR is going to fix these issues, we just aren't sure how long it will take. CDPR always supports their games.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Yeah after some quick alt tabbing I saw that my issue is also the nvidia driver stopped responding thing. Tried re installing drivers with no luck. Gonna leave it alone until something gets said.

Desaan

Foliage distance wrecks my FPS, low looks terrible with pop-in any higher and I suffer horrible issues, guess my 7970 isn't good enough.

Rosur

Getting crashes every hour or so and not in demanding scenes (game is running well at 30fps on my system (i3 & 970)) any ideas whats causing it? Thinking of seeing if its a driver issue or not by reverting back to the older one, though thought I'd ask here first.

Read a suggestion on reddit to change power management mode to Prefer maximum performance (in manage 3D setting in the Nvida control panel) and set game to full screen seem to have fixed the issues I was getting and now haven't had a crash since changing them.

Static Jak

They have a Geralt only option, it should be easy enough for them to implement a monsters only option. I'd bet on it in a future update.
I hope so, I love the fur and feathers on monsters but not a fan of Geralt or other peoples hair flopping about.

Salsa

Just do it, man. 60fps is not possible for us 680 peasants.

I'm running at a so far locked 30 using shadows on medium, everything else on high, textures on ultra and HBAO+

dude you might wanna fiddle a bit more. If I go for solid 30 I can have most things on Ultra with a 2gig 680 without framerate drops

only have shadows on Medium and foliage visibility / background people on High

everything else Ultra and stays at 30

the bummer about locking it is that the framerate gets super smooth when in the actual open world (reaches 60 and almost stays) but once you hit a town yeah.. you realize it might just be better to lock at 30

Serick

Married Member
Read a suggestion on reddit to change power management mode to Prefer maximum performance (in manage 3D setting in the Nvida control panel) and set game to full screen seem to have fixed the issues I was getting and now haven't had a crash since changing them.

I see this fix working for a lot of different games. I honestly don't know why it's not set to prefer maximum as the default. I hate having to go remember to go in and change it every time I install new drivers.

feelsweirdman

680 here as well. I put everything on max, except put shadows and foliage distance to high, turned off ingame vsync and forced 30fps through RivaTuner. Also turned off motion blur cause its way too much imo. Turned off in-game AA, and forced FXAA through nvidia CP.
Getting smooth 30fps.
Now time to go and enjoy this game!

Zero Hero

AMD 8350
R9 270X 4GB
8GB

Everything on high. Everything looked great. Then I turned off blur and set shadows to low and my FPS soared.

So smooth. So fun.
axU2cpL.png

Gbraga

dude you might wanna fiddle a bit more. If I go for solid 30 I can have most things on Ultra with a 2gig 680 without framerate drops

only have shadows on Medium and foliage visibility / background people on High

everything else Ultra and stays at 30

Hmmm, you're probably right, didn't even test settings higher than ultra. I'll give it a shot.

blado

I saw people saying on the official forums that limiting your FPS is one of the main causes of most of the crashes. I disabled the 30 fps cap and set it to unlimited, and I had no crashing. I didn't play for a long enough period of time to be certain that it worked, but at least it's something.

Not surprised shadows, grass and foliage distance are the things to tone down from ultra for good FPS boosts.

I really need to bunker down and play through the first two games, I'm still not out of Chapter 1 of the first one... Dammit. At least by the time I'm though (should've played through them after I bought them in 2013) another patch or two and updated drivers will probably be out.

Also need to RMA, RMA replacement Razer Naga (2014) number two even though I know number three will have the same annoying issue but I guess I'm getting replacement parts. >_<

Blackage

I saw people saying on the official forums that limiting your FPS is one of the main causes of most of the crashes. I disabled the 30 fps cap and set it to unlimited, and I had no crashing. I didn't play for a long enough period of time to be certain that it worked, but at least it's something.

Tried uncapping and turning off vsync, crashed 30 minutes in. =/

Been scouring the web all day at work looking for potential fixes for my crashes. I have a list of things I'm going to try when I get home, based of off number of times I've seen it recommended or similarities between setups.

-change power management mode to Prefer maximum performance
-disconnect 2nd monitor
-scale your GPUs overclock back to stock

Hoping something will work.

I'm now realizing that my setup of RadeonPro Double Vsync, Triple-buffering, and Dynamic Framerate Control at 30 has resulted in some mouse lag.

Did I do something wrong?

Vsync is off in-game, and uncapped.

Also need to RMA, RMA replacement Razer Naga (2014) number two even though I know number three will have the same annoying issue but I guess I'm getting replacement parts. >_<

I have an older version and was thinking I might need to replace it sometime. What's the deal with your new ones?

re-installing the game ready drivers after using DDU solved all of my crashing issues. I've also noticed that my overclock had to be dialed back a bit to prevent artifacts.

Salsa

680 here as well. I put everything on max, except put shadows and foliage distance to high, turned off ingame vsync and forced 30fps through RivaTuner. Also turned off motion blur cause its way too much imo. Turned off in-game AA, and forced FXAA through nvidia CP.
Getting smooth 30fps.

is the in-game 30fps lock bad?

since I honestly never played a PC game at 30fps I can't tell what's jitter and stuttering and what's just 30fps gameplay

fastmower

Getting smooth 30fps.

How come my FPS reads as 29-32 when I have a cap of 30 on Rivatuner?

Acinixys

Just coming here to say that you can play on lower end systems

GTX 460
i5 2300
12Gb of ram

The game looks like shit and I had to lock it to 30FPS

Vsync and all that junk turned off obviously

But at least I can play

ashot_rubick.gif

Does anyone have a good config for a old ass PC on the order of 560ti, Phenom II, running at 1050p? I have mostly low and medium settings running at 30fps but I think I can turn some more stuff up.

is the in-game 30fps lock bad?

since I honestly never played a PC game at 30fps I can't tell what's jitter and stuttering and what's just 30fps gameplay

It worked great for me on borderless window mode, but another issue with that mode on my setup forced me to use fullscreen. On fullscreen the cap gives me stuttering.

I have jitter and vsync problems all the time on my system though and have tried just about everything.

I'm pretty sure 30fps should look consistent, even if not "smooth" per-se. You shouldn't see little jerks of the camera if you're moving at a constant speed in-game. I'd try to auto-gallop, or just spin the camera half-pushing a right thumbstick if you have a gamepad.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Been scouring the web all day at work looking for potential fixes for my crashes. I have a list of things I'm going to try when I get home, based of off number of times I've seen it recommended or similarities between setups.

-change power management mode to Prefer maximum performance
-disconnect 2nd monitor
-scale your GPUs overclock back to stock

Hoping something will work.

Just saying for me personally that the prefer max performance thing did not work, and the other 2 don't apply to me.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
It worked great for me on borderless window mode, but another issue with that mode on my setup forced me to use fullscreen. On fullscreen the cap gives me stuttering.

I have jitter and vsync problems all the time on my system though and have tried just about everything.

I'm pretty sure 30fps should look consistent, even if not "smooth" per-se. You shouldn't see little jerks of the camera if you're moving at a constant speed in-game. I'd try to auto-gallop, or just spin the camera half-pushing a right thumbstick if you have a gamepad.

This is my EXACT problem. The stuttering when looking around while moving is driving me absolutely bonkers.

What are the other solutions to impose a 30fps cap externally when using an Nvidia card? I used to use DXTory, but now it causes every recent game to crash on start up...

Top Bottom