• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

MisterM

Running at a rock solid 30fps at high preset (no chromatic aberration) @ 1080p on my setup. I'm using RadeonPro to limit to 30fps and double vsync then unlimited fps ingame. It feels much smoother that way.

i5-3570 (Non-K)
7870XT 2Gb (1100MHz core) 15.4 beta drivers
16gb ram
Windows 8.1

Currently using between 75 and 80% of the GPU.

SURGEdude

Have:
i7 4770K @4.4Ghz
GTX 980
8Gb RAM

Manage to maintain around 50-60 fps at 1080p with foliage and shadows at high but it's not really satisfying. Would an upgrade in RAM from 8 to 16Gb would change anything?

Doubtful. Unless you are one of those people who runs tons of shit in the background. The game isn't particularly RAM hungry.

centracore

I've got a 970 with the latest drivers, and I'm getting very similar crashes. Usually mine entail the video frame freezing, but sound continues to play. I need to bring up the task manager and kill the process to get out of it.

It sounds to me like it's either an issue with the game or with the newest drivers... or both.

Everything else works flawlessly on my system.

I'm running into the exact same issue but with a GTX 660 Ti, haven't been able to make it past the tutorial because it happens so frequently.

That sounds like a typical "nvlddmkm" display driver crash, id 13 or 14. Have a look at the event viewer in the control panel and you'll most certainly confirm that's the case.

I checked the system log and found "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered." numerous times that coincide with the aforementioned video frame freezing - any thoughts on how to prevent this from occurring?

ValfarHL

So.

Hairworks is a fps killer for me. It cost me about 10-15fps, and not worth it, imo.

And damn you guys who think 30 fps looks fine, I am envy. :p
I find it a stuttery mess, and almost unplayable (compared to 60). :(

Aeana

So.

Hairworks is a fps killer for me. It cost me about 10-15fps, and not worth it, imo.

Do you have an AMD card? It seems that the frame times on AMD cards are much worse than on nVidia: http://t.co/nY0tmtMvyk

It's buttery smooth for me at 30 FPS using Riva Tuner to cap the framerate rather than the built-in one.

harz-marz

I have had the game freeze and had to ctrl+alt+del approx 6 times now. It is really annoying. Sometimes it won't even let me do that and I have to manually switch my whole PC off.

Guessing this is a common issue? Specs are:

GTX 970
i5 2500
8 GIG RAM
SSD

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I opted to cap the game to 30fps for the sake of framerate consistency in Hairworks-intensive scenes. I have vsync disabled and haven't noticed any tearing, so I assume the framerate is stable.

2600K @ 4.4GHz
12GB DDR3-1600
GTX 980

shandy706

So.

If you haven't done it, put Shadows and Foliage to high. (Or a step below wherever you have it).

It should counter the hairworks changes some.

I have had the game freeze and had to ctrl+alt+del approx 6 times now. It is really annoying. Sometimes it won't even let me do that and I have to manually switch my whole PC off.

GTX 970
i5 2500
8 GIG RAM
SSD

I have had two crashes in my relatively short play time. They seemed to coincide with a lot of graphic menu fiddling. Have you been going in-and-out of the settings near to the time of the crash/freeze?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
how do I get the game to go back to the auto-detect graphical settings?

Deleting the two user.settings files in My Docs\The Witcher 3 should force the game back to default settings, but it is a odd there's no such function in the game. I found myself wondering whether or not "Off" was the default setting for "Show witcher senses on mini-map" as all of the other HUD options default to "On".

mdsfx

I have had two crashes in my relatively short play time. They seemed to coincide with a lot of graphic menu fiddling. Have you been going in-and-out of the settings?
Hmmm. That's what I was doing around the time I had issues. Then I kept doing it to resolve the problem and it kept happening

Zimbardo

Toggle triple buffering in your control panel and restart. It should stick then

It's mostly likely due to the fact that your windows desktop resolution is different than the one you have chosen in game. It could also be that you might have more than one display connected.. I haven't really done any testing yet. But what worked for me is:

I had my desktop res at 1440p and when I tried to run the game at 4K it would always be in BWM... switch your desktop to the res you want to run the game in and it should let you run fullscreen.

thanks for the replies (and whoever else did) ...i did have the correct desktop/in game resolution and the triple buffer trick didn't work ... but i appreciate the help.

to update, tho ...i think i found out whats causing it to revert back to borderless window each time. i'm running the game from the GOG Galaxy client, and each time i'd hit the 'play' button, i'd manually minimize the client to the taskbar just before the game would start ...after the game loaded, it would be set to 'borderless window' and there would be some hassle getting it to switch over to fullscreen ...which it would eventually do, but the next time i'd load the game, it'd revert back.

so anyway, i tried running the game from a desktop shortcut (no GOG client at all) and full screen worked perfectly fine on multiple launches. i also tried running it again from the GOG client, without minimizing it to the taskbar ...and fullscreen would stay applied.

so the fact that i was minimizing the GOG client to the taskbar each time i'd launch it seems to be the root cause of the borderless window showing up over and over. hopefully that's it.

Peterthumpa

how do I get the game to go back to the auto-detect graphical settings?

Rename the rendering.ini file to .old or something similar? Just a guess though.

EDIT:

JaseC said:
Deleting the two user.settings file in My Docs\The Witcher 3 should force the game back to default settings, but it is a odd there's no button to set the defaults in-game.

Even better.

harz-marz

I have had two crashes in my relatively short play time. They seemed to coincide with a lot of graphic menu fiddling. Have you been going in-and-out of the settings?

Not really. I haven't tweaked any INI files (as I have no clue how to do this)

I used geforce experience to auto tweak the graphics... runs at a stable 60 mostly, with small drops to 55-57 on occasion.

epmode

Any fixes for micro stutter? Sli 970 shouldn't stutter so much. Otherwise it would run like a dream.

My framerate was having some massive stutters for a while. The strange thing is that it was intermittent. I'd walk around with everything maxed at ~45 FPS (G-Sync) but then I'd start getting big stutters every two seconds for a few minutes, even when walking around the same area where everything was working properly a minute earlier

Disabling hairworks seems to have corrected it.

Denton

I love that this game has properly implemented triple buffering, while at the same time also sporting borderless windowed and locks to 30/60.
Every game should be equipped like this on PC.

thanks for the replies (and whoever else did) ...i did have the correct desktop/in game resolution and the triple buffer trick didn't work ... but i appreciate the help.

to update, tho ...i think i found out whats causing it to revert back to borderless window each time. i'm running the game from the GOG Galaxy client, and each time i'd hit the 'play' button, i'd manually minimize the client to the taskbar just before the game would start ...after the game loaded, it would be set to 'borderless window' and there would be some hassle getting it to switch over to fullscreen ...which it would eventually do, but the next time i'd load the game, it'd revert back.

so anyway, i tried running the game from a desktop shortcut (no GOG client at all) and full screen worked perfectly fine on multiple launches. i also tried running it again from the GOG client, without minimizing it to the taskbar ...and fullscreen would stay applied.

so the fact that i was minimizing the GOG client to the taskbar each time i'd launch it seems to be the root cause of the borderless window showing up over and over. hopefully that's it.

Hmm, interesting. I dunno, I have the steam version and it does the same thing for me if my desktop res is different from the in game res. Who knows tho? lol Glad you found a fix that works for you tho :)

I got freezes that keeps playing the music every 20 mins or so seems in the cdr forums and gog that many people has the same issues its makes the game unplayable for me.

Does this always occur in the menus/inventory? I, and a bunch of others have been having the same issue, and the only thing that has worked for me (so far) has been changing the frame limiting in the game's options menu to Unlimited (had it set to 60). This seems to have fixed it for me.

Gojeran

Count me in for the crashes. 2500k,gtx970,8gb ram, newest drivers and Windows 8.1. Ran perfectly in the intro area but now that I'm into the real world or whatever it's crashed 4 fucking times. I've no idea what to do about it. I'll try running stock clocks later on my 970 but my over clock is rock solid normally and I've already lowered it a bit. This sucks.

GTX 970
i5 2500
8 GIG RAM
SSD

Does the freeze only happen when in the inventory/menus?

Leb

I love that this game has properly implemented triple buffering, while at the same time also sporting borderless windowed and locks to 30/60.
Every game should be equipped like this on PC.

It kind of boggles the mind that they included stuff like that but somehow neglected to allow users to rebind basic movement keys. I mean, really, how does that happen?

unfuckingreal how this game insists on going with Borderless Window every damn time.

i change it over and over ...even changed it in the user config file and made it read only ...yet the thing keeps going back to borderless windows instead of fullscreen.

If you run GeForce Experience, it could be its automatic optimalisation messing with your config files at every reboot and undoing all your changes to the settings - you can turn it off in its settings panel.

I don't have a particularly super great PC, i5 3.4/GTX 660ti/8GB RAM but I've been able to run it at pretty high specs with no real problems. It does have some issues with higher hair and shadow/water stuff obviously. But I actually noticed something funny that I wasn't sure if others saw too.

During the game my frames drop lower which I fully expected so I don't much care. But amusingly enough during cutscenes, even when I pushed settings higher and turned on the hair and such, I get absolutely perfect scenes with no drops at all at full 60FPS.

Are the cutscenes less strenuous for some reason? Seemed unrealistic and a bit silly but it happens consistently for me, tried a bunch of different settings for the same scenes.

Anyone else see the cutscenes run better than the game?

Buburibon

I checked the system log and found "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered." numerous times that coincide with the aforementioned video frame freezing - any thoughts on how to prevent this from occurring?

Overclocks are often the cause of these errors, as well as overlays such as RTSS. I'd start with resetting your card to factory settings if you haven't done so already, and disabling all overlays you can think of including Steam's very own. In the case of RTSS, you'll need to uninstall it completely to be safe. Might as well be thorough and uninstall MSI Afterburner/EVGA Precision X too if you're using those, and run "Display Driver Uninstaller."

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Zakalwe

Banned
Nothing from CDPR (comments wise) on the crashes yet?

It seems to be a massive problem for a TON of people. Definitely not a small # of unique events.

If you have an nvidia card (and others experiencing this) have you tried rolling back the drivers to the last set and setting power management mode to "prefer maximum performance" in nvidia control panel?

Apparently it fixes the issue. I've had four crashes in the last hour even after turning off all OC's. Trying this temp fix now, will report back after some extended play.

mdsfx

Downclocked my 980 some and I'm still getting crashes. Not really sure what is causing it at this point.
This is the only reason that I don't completely love pc gaming. So frustrating and high maintenance. Always worth it in the end though...

FlyingNorseman

Neo Member
No crashes so far but losing focus to desktop several times, which can be annoying. Thankfully the game pauses when it does that and I can alt/tab back in.

Paragon Pariah

Neo Member
I don't have The Witcher 3 yet, but I experienced similar crashes to what some people are describing in this thread with Far Cry 4 not long ago. It would crash to desktop and I would get an error about the driver not responding and recovering. The solution for it ended up being going into the 3D settings for the game in the Nvidia control panel and setting the option "Power management mode" to "Prefer maximum performance." Someone could give that a shot and see if it stops the game from crashing.

CHC

so any news on finding a real performance hog or anything?

gonna start actually playing the game today (barely got out the tutorial) but im bummed about having to play at 40+fps no matter what

Foliage distance and Hairworks are by far the biggest (like 10 FPS each). HBAO is also noticeable, like 3-4 FPS but it's probably worth keeping on since it looks great. Otherwise most settings (even shadows and textures) have a very small effect on FPS.

Orcastar

i5 2500k OC @ 4.2 GHz
GTX 680 2 GB
16 GB RAM

Getting a stable 30 FPS at 1200p with hairworks off and shadow quality, water quality and foliage visibility range set to high, everything else set to ultra. I really wasn't expecting it to run this nicely.

Yet I can't get a stable 60 FPS in Witcher 2 with all setting maxxed. Go figure...

ValfarHL

Do you have an AMD card? It seems that the frame times on AMD cards are much worse than on nVidia: http://t.co/nY0tmtMvyk

It's buttery smooth for me at 30 FPS using Riva Tuner to cap the framerate rather than the built-in one.

If you haven't done it, put Shadows and Foliage to high. (Or a step below wherever you have it).

It should counter the hairworks changes some.

Maybe stuttery isn't the right word, but it's faar from smooth when turning the camera around at 30 fps.

I have a gtx 970 @ 1550/1900-ish.

With shadows, foilage, background people to high, and hairworks on Geralt only, I get 55 to 62 fps in the first town. 45-55 inside the tavern.
The problem is I notice these small dips so much it takes from the immersion.

Guess I'll have to read Andrew's guide a bit, and play around with a few settings some more. Maybe I can get a stable 60 with hairworks enabled on Geralt.

Thanks!

Salsa

first game ever where im considering locking to 30fps and going nuts

feelsweirdman

I blame the fact that I cannot get steady 60 no matter what and fps fluctuation grinds my gears

Zeliard

So has anyone seen rain yet? I had the clouds darken pretty badly, Garalt even commented on it but no rain at all.

Haven't seen rain yet but I have had heavy winds at night, and that was very cool. Seeing trees and foliage swaying violently makes for a pretty neat sight, and the sound design is on point.

Faith

Well, I maxed everything out (tweaked some stuff in the ini file for better graphics) and now I'm getting 30-50fps with GTX970 SLI.

:(

Denton

It kind of boggles the mind that they included stuff like that but somehow neglected to allow users to rebind basic movement keys. I mean, really, how does that happen?

You can't rebind keys? That is weird. I am on controller so I wouldn't know.

Spazznid

My framerate was having some massive stutters for a while. The strange thing is that it was intermittent. I'd walk around with everything maxed at ~45 FPS (G-Sync) but then I'd start getting big stutters every two seconds for a few minutes, even when walking around the same area where everything was working properly a minute earlier

Disabling hairworks seems to have corrected it.
That's just not something I'm willing to disable lol.Too bad.

Peterthumpa

Maybe stuttery isn't the right word, but it's faar from smooth when turning the camera around at 30 fps.

I have a gtx 970 @ 1550/1900-ish.

With shadows, foilage, background people to high, and hairworks on Geralt only, I get 55 to 62 fps in the first town. 45-55 inside the tavern.
The problem is I notice these small dips so much it takes from the immersion.

Guess I'll have to read Andrew's guide a bit, and play around with a few settings some more. Maybe I can get a stable 60 with hairworks enabled on Geralt.

Thanks!
At least for the time being, you can't. There's a reason why the tavern is heavier on FPS than the outside - Hairworks. It tanks the FPS as closer as you get from Geralt. Seems to be a tesselation bug, no additional geometry is rendered up close (it seems), so it's a safe bet to wait for NVIDIA or CDPK and see, I guess.

Zornack

I'm getting a lot of crashes/lockups as well but only if I OC my 980s. They can usually go up to at least ~1480 to 1500s but with TW3 even 1460 is unstable.

Top Bottom