• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

Thanks for all the tips, guys.

I went to switch aa to fxaa, but since i have ati, i have to force it through radeonpro i think.

It doesn't just have fxaa off and on though. I've got like low, med, high, etc.

I guess I'll try medium?

Also don't know how to adjust the lod bias I've seen referenced in relation to this.

Personally, I think it looks just as good for much less performance, and I'm one of those people that get extremely bothered by jaggies.

At the same time, I've seen others say they think it looks much worse. I guess it just comes down to how keen your own eyes are to jaggies.

Hmm ok I'll give it a try. Anyone else notice a spike in TDP% while playing this? I had to drop my 970 back down to stock clocks since it was going over my 110% limit. Didn't get any crashes or notice any throttling but still backed off.

I wonder if it would go down if I locked the fps to 60 at 60hz instead of 144hz. Games like GTA 5 barely break 100% TDP.

In Witcher 2 you could just edit the input file to bind keyboard commands to the controller. Apparently things don't work like that so easy this time around with the game being built around consoles. Hopefully someone is working on a mod.

I had the sign switching keyboard command mapped to one of the pad directions. After having that, I'm having a hard time dealing with this slowing down gameplay crap just to switch signs.

This is exactly my problem.

Coming off Bloodborne it is really difficult to accept the combat in this game...

Acinixys

Turning off the ingame AA and using FXAA and Maximum Performance setting in Nvidia control panel stopped the crashes for me but I'm still saving like a madman just in case.

A lot of crashes are game engine related as well

Im running the game on a super low end PC with literally everything set to low or off and ive still had 3 crashes in 7 hours or so of game time

Tankshell

Why is it "better"?

Sorry thought that would have been obvious. It's better because:

- Keeps all of your own tweaks in one file/place so easier to keep track of what you have changed.
- Means you are not editing the games own config files in the games install directory (which can be lost/overwritten if game is re-installed, updated by Steam etc).

Kuro

Personally, I think it looks just as good for much less performance, and I'm one of those people that get extremely bothered by jaggies.

At the same time, I've seen others say they think it looks much worse. I guess it just comes down to how keen your own eyes are to jaggies.

Its a little bit blurrier to me and doesn't do as well with stuff like chain mail but I get better performance and possible less crashing with it.

this was happening to me, constantly, could play for 5 min or 30 min before it crashed. Last night I scaled back my GPUs overclock (even though it's the FTW model with a factory overclock) and it didn't crash once. Also noticed my temps were down 10-15 degrees C, which is kind of crazy imo

Thanks ! Helped for me too (at least for now). Weeeird bug.

Ganzor

Won't limiting tesselation to 8x or 16x on AMD cards for the increased hairworks performance lower the quality of other parts of the game? or is it mainly the hair using it?

Releasing LB should quit the menu, having to press A sucks.

Sucks on KBAM too. You have to press mouse 1 to select a spell to get out of the menu, but if you've already got the spell you want selected, you have to hit TAB again to back out. Very Unintuitive.

It was hold and release method in W2, not sure why they'd move to this inferior system here. It's supposed to be a "quick" access menu, not a ploughing radial minigame.

owasog

I did a bunch of testing on my machine:

I5 4670K @3.6 and @4.2
AMD 280X
8GB RAM

But the worst thing about this fucking game is the constant juddering, even when you're running at 60fps. Fucking hell, why. Someone needs to put some fire in CDPR's ass to fix this STAT.
On my Geforce setting max prerendered frames to 1 seems to remove most of the judder at 60fps. Try it with AMD's equivalent, Flip Queue Size.

Foliage distance and HBAO seem to be the big hits for performance with your card. Go to SSAO and turn foliage distance down to very high and you should receive a decent boost.

Hmn, I really like HBAO+ and thought it wouldn't cost much performance, but I'll try those out. Still planning on switching the settings around a fair bit anyway.

kinggroin

Banned
Just for fun I ran the game on an i3 dual core + 480m and at 720p everything low, I get 38fps in the menu, and 8-9 fps in the starting area.

:p

diablogod

Was suffering from crashes every 2-5 minutes regardless of what setting I had. I messed with this for 7+ hours and I think I finally got it stable. Havn't had a crash for 2+ hours.
Anyway hopefully this info helps some of you guys.
I have a GTX 760. I used the clean installation option and I rolled back my driver to: GeForce 341.44. In the Nvidia control panel under power management I set prefer maximum performance, also I turned threaded optimization on.
I unplugged my second monitor. Adjusted the computer for "best performance." in performance options.
In the Witcher 3 graphics options I have it set to fullscreen and the FPS slider is set to unlimited.
Lastly I have this GTX 760: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133498 It comes factory overclocked. So what I did was use MSI Afterburner and for my core clock and my memory clock I slid both sliders to -40 and hit apply.
After all this bullshit, I finally have been stable for 2+ hours. Good luck guys.

s_mirage

Game crashes every 5 mins so that the picture frozes but the audio still keeps going. Some have reported that they had this problem before they got to the first open area but it's going to take hours from me with this amount of crashing.... I have love-hate relationship with PC gaming depending on the day.

If you're using EVGA Precision X or similar, turn it off. I don't know if it's something peculiar to my system, a problem with the program, or a problem with recent drivers, but lately I'm finding Precision to be causing issues in quite a lot of software. That includes this game freezing as described. It's not my overclock either, I can apply that just fine as long as Precision is then shut down.

Hmn, I really like HBAO+ and thought it wouldn't cost much performance, but I'll try those out. Still planning on switching the settings around a fair bit anyway.

SSAO vs HBAO+.

See if you can tell which is which.

iO4xvl9.png

Yq8Jx39.png

Side by side 50/50 split below.. but which is which? Personally I find the difference to not be worth the fps so I'm going with SSAO atm

XgS78jw.png

Xeroblade

So... with a 2GB 760, how high can I push this game at 1080p and 30fps?

PC:
i7-2600K
8GB 1600 Ram
GTX 670
SSD

My settings are a mix between Ultra and High, with aliasing on, bloom on, ssao on and vsync on locked to 30 fps. I am getting a buttery smooth 30fps at 1080p. Good enough for me. Also is there a way to get out of borderless window mode? every time I change it to fullscreen it switches back to borderless.

Seriously guys just try it. Its not that taxing on your computers. I am very happy with my outdated card.

laxu

Does anybody feel like me and thinks that this game is very unresponsive and sometimes frustrating because of the controls ?

I play with a DS4 with DS4Windows.

Definitely. Also the way game requires your viewpoint to face things so you can loot them (or do any action) is really annoying. Jumping on the horse is rather difficult at times. It's such a far cry from Red Dead Redemption's ease. I gotta say that despite the slight movement lag, the GTA/RDR control system works really well.

I really hope they listen to feedback and keep patching the game.

Am I the only one who has the game running perfectly? Sure, I got plenty of hardware (970 SLI, 16 GB RAM, SSD, 4.5 GHz CPU...) but at 1440p I have yet to experience any hitches or crashes whatsoever with everything on max and Hairworks on.

AEREC

has anyone tried this yet?

Improve movement responsiveness when using a controller

To increase the responsiveness of in-game movement when using a controller, go to "The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt\bin\config\platform\pc\", open the "platformgameplay.ini" file with a text editor and find the "LeftStickSensitivity" variable, located at the top. This setting is defaulted to "0.7", but change it to "1.0" for more responsive analog movement!

Would this be any different than the analogue stick sensitivity setting in the options menu?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I have a 280x too, and without Hairworks it seems possible.

Well I have a FX 8320, so I'm not sure if my fps dips are caused by my CPU or my GPU, so I can't give you a certain answer

I hope it's not CPU ;). I'm on a 6300 :lol.

HABO+ isn't that big of a performance drain. The biggest culprits are Hairworks, foliage distance, and shadow quality.

Am I the only one who has the game running perfectly? Sure, I got plenty of hardware (970 SLI, 16 GB RAM, SSD, 4.5 GHz CPU...) but at 1440p I have yet to experience any hitches or crashes whatsoever with everything on max and Hairworks on.

I haven't had any crashes or technical issues. Been really good to me so far a brand new game. I'm on a 4930K/TitanX.

Barzul

Here are my NVCP settings:

http://i.imgur.com/8J4t2ds.png

http://i.imgur.com/M3aAf0b.png

Running with hairworks off, everything ultra in graphics apart from shadows high and foliage high.

Smooth as butter. i7 2600k 4.1 // Gig GTX 970 OC 120/225 // 8GB RAM // SSD

Off to reset my settings now and try and improve things even further.

I modeled my settings after yours and also used Adaptive Vsync and just tried it out of a little during my lunch break and I was getting steady framerates in the 50's to 60's above 60 mostly, I even turned up a few things like Shadows and some post-processing effects. I'll test it out more tonight but hopefully this means that majority of my issues have been sorted out. Thanks again!

Anon67

I reverted back to an older NVIDIA driver and I think I've found an optimal setup for 1080p30FPS for the GTX 660. I need to do some tests in certain areas, but from what I can tell, FPS drops only whenever I go near fire.

It's a mix of high+ultra settings + low foliage distance. I'll describe it later. "Full" report will be on the first page soon.

Vuze

Any one else experiencing major lags on the world map and when aiming with the crossbow? Both is pretty damn annoying. Apart from these two points it runs flawless for me so far.

New users should pretty much do two things when configuring the graphics:

1. Turn off Hairworks (completely)
2. Remove the framerate cap (Unlimited)

They are useless and can cause problems.

HABO+ isn't that big of a performance drain. The biggest culprits are Hairworks, foliage distance, and shadow quality.

Alright, yeah. I think at first I didn't change the foilage distance just the grass density. Now it's mostly 60 fps with a drops but I'll turn down something.

Might also be that my GPU is overclocked too much. It already couldn't seem to handle overclocks to well when I tried and I just noticed a graphics artifact for a moment. I'll see what happens when I clock it down a notch.

bee

managing to play 4k (gsync), hairworks (aa level tweak), mixture of settings on a single titan x (oc), runs mainly 40-45fps, dropped to 35fps with 4 hairworks wolves on screen, zero crashes so far on gta drivers

i only have one issue, anyway to get rid of the banding on the sun shafts at 4k??

Genio88

Maybe, just maybe i managed to fix the crashes problem, yesterday i had 3 crashes in about two hours, today none in three hours, i'm on a GTX 980 and latest drivers, game maxed out with HairWorks on and 30fps cap, here what i did:

1) Disabled Vsync, but i kept the frame rate capped to 30 and all the others video settings as they were before
2) Disinstalled Nvidia GeForce Experience(useless software for me)
3)Set "prefer maximum performance" in "Power Management Mode" from Nvidia panel settings
4) Played without overclock

Now i don't know which one did the trick(assuming that i really fixed it and wasn't just lucky for 3 hours straight), but i guess it is worth to try them all, in my next session i'll just re-apply the overclock on my GTX 980 and see what happens.
By the way, without crash the game is awesome in every aspect, i'm loving it so far.

mike6467

So, this is more curiosity then anything, and I'm probably overlooking some major reason that'll make me look stupid....but why is it the only two options available for locking FPS are 30 and 60?

I'm getting 55-60 with occasional drops to 45 so I guess i'm wondering why I couldn't lock to something in around there. Is this some programming voodoo that's too much of a pain to implement? Or just something that doesn't provide value to most people?

Aeana

New users should pretty much do two things when configuring the graphics:

1. Turn off Hairworks (completely)
2. Remove the framerate cap (Unlimited)

They are useless and can cause problems.

The framerate cap is certainly not useless. For some people, myself included, a stable framerate is crucial to avoid motion sickness.

WIth that said, I recommend limiting the framerate with an outside utility rather than the built-in one, such as RTSS or nVidia's driver option.

Barely playable on my laptop (20-30fps at 720p and under - default LOW settings)

i7 2760qm @2.4ghz
gtx 560m 1.5gb gddr5
8gb ram

If I unthrottle the CPU to 3.2ghz it improves cutscene framerate but gameplay is still bottlenecked by GPU
If nothing else helps, you can overclock with NvidiaInspector.
I did a 135 MHz core overclock (which is the maximum), set refresh rate to 50 Hz instead of 60,
and used RTSS to limit fps to 25 in 800x600 borderless windowed mode.

Does anybody feel like me and thinks that this game is very unresponsive and sometimes frustrating because of the controls ?

I play with a DS4 with DS4Windows.

I talked about his in the OT and got ignored. I don't like the animations or feel of Geralt himself sometimes. I never feel like I'm fully in control of him and have fallen off little cliff edges and died cos he didn't run the direction I wanted. Like he does a little running half circle to turn around instead of just running the opposite direction, hard explain.

I also don't like the combat at times, feels like each sword swing is sort of different or it doesn't happen immediately and I'm at the mercy of Geralt's movements. After coming out of like a hundred hours of Bloodborne though I guess anything would feel clumsy.

Still really like it though so I don't want to come off rambly or pessimistic

I modeled my settings after yours and also used Adaptive Vsync and just tried it out of a little during my lunch break and I was getting steady framerates in the 50's to 60's above 60 mostly, I even turned up a few things like Shadows and some post-processing effects. I'll test it out more tonight but hopefully this means that majority of my issues have been sorted out. Thanks again!

No problem! Any idea what was causing you to have such big drops before changing your settings?

Kinthalis

Banned

And shadow quality makes no noticeable difference from medium to ultra. At least none that I've seen, and the Nvidia tweak guides suggests the same.

Keby

Rig:

i5 - 3570 @3.4ghz can boost to 3.8
16gb of ram
GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0+ 4gb(lol)

Right now at 1080p I'm running almost everything on Ultra minus Hairworks, Shadow Quality, and Foliage distance. Getting a constant 55-60fps average, but for the most part its locked at 60 with the frame limiter. Sometimes weather effects can drop frames. Mainly when there is a storm. usually drops to about 56 in that so nothing too bad.

Haven't tried unlimited framerate. Does that really do anything even with v sync enabled?

Found a nice stable point in overclocking my card to keep the temp at 65C. So far the game has been running great other than random crashes like other people. Does anyone get crashes in cutscenes? Or does the game just randomly minimize to the desktop?

So, this is more curiosity then anything, and I'm probably overlooking some major reason that'll make me look stupid....but why is it the only two options available for locking FPS are 30 and 60?
You can lock it at wherever you want in the user.settings file (i.e. LimitFPS=30).
The best way - according to Durante - is to use borderless windowed mode, set it to unlimited in game and use RTSS to limit the frame rate instead

But remember that unless you have a A/F/GSync monitor, you should always set it to an integer fraction of your monitors refresh rate

e.g. 30/40/60/120 for a 120Hz monitor, 25/50 for a 50Hz monitor

LordAmused

Maybe try using a third party till to limit the fps and set it to unlimited in game and see if it fixes it. I'd be interested to know of it works (a few people have suggested it does). I may try it later, but I'm a bit dubious about messing with things now I finally seem to have it stable...

Try the other steps too. I did everything listed /except/ limit the fps and it seems to have fixed the issue for me.

I limited it with NCP and haven't had a crash in 2 hours.

mike6467

You can lock it at wherever you want in the user.settings file (i.e. LimitFPS=30).
The best way - according to Durante - is to use borderless windowed mode, set it to unlimited in game and use RTSS to limit the frame rate instead

But remember that unless you have a A/F/GSync monitor, you should always set it to an integer fraction of your monitors refresh rate

e.g. 30/40/60/120 for a 120Hz monitor, 25/50 for a 50Hz monitor

Ah, that makes much more sense, thanks!

I'm getting 55-60 with occasional drops to 45 so I guess i'm wondering why I couldn't lock to something in around there. Is this some programming voodoo that's too much of a pain to implement? Or just something that doesn't provide value to most people?

Refresh rates. Your monitor likely refreshes with 60 Hz. So it can show 60 frames per second. 30 is easy then too, just have an image twice. Somewhere in between gets difficult and you need to either have some double frame causing stuttering, or have the frames sort of merge together which is screen tearing.

G-Sync helps with that by having a dynamic refresh rate.

The framerate cap is certainly not useless. For some people, myself included, a stable framerate is crucial to avoid motion sickness.

WIth that said, I recommend limiting the framerate with an outside utility rather than the built-in one, such as RTSS or nVidia's driver option.

I think that is what he means. Just turn off the ingame one and if you need one use an external program to do it.

Top Bottom