• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

On the 980, the frame buffer never went higher than 63% for me last night. So I'm thinking of increasing the following (is this the right setting?) to around 1200 to start off?

[Rendering]
TextureMemoryBudget= [Ultra Value: 800]

I have a 970, have it on 1800 atm and have no problems, I'm sure you could go higher (idk how much memory your card has) but for now I at least know that 1800 works and probably will for you too :)

Exentryk

I have a 970, have it on 1800 atm and have no problems, I'm sure you could go higher (idk how much memory your card has) but for now I at least know that 1800 works and probably will for you too :)

980 has 4 GB memory. How much memory use were you getting with that setting?

Also, can you please link me to that skills mod? Or tell me what changes I have to make in files?

Salsa

after 15 hours of smooth sailin im getting freezes like crazy

changed nvidia profile to maximum performance, doubt it'll help

980 has 4 GB memory. How much memory use were you getting with that setting?

Also, can you please link me to that skills mod? Or tell me what changes I have to make in files?

Does the 980 have the same issue with the last 500MB of memory that the 970 does?

Regardless, I just did some running around (with Chrome open, Skype open, a few folders and Sublime text) and had max 1448MB memory usage according to GPU-Z. That's with my setting at 1800 (though YMMV because of your other in-game settings).

The mod is linked below but I didn't upload the one that gives you extra skillpoints just yet. So far I've only done the one that makes the XP curve more forgiving as you climb to level 20.

Link: http://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/comments/36oylk/level_up_system_too_slow_fear_not_witchers_made_a/

Exentryk was referring to the TextureMemoryBudget setting, not your GPU usage :p

In other news, I found the potion config file I was looking for so now I can tweak the potion durations and effects :)

The indoor lighting in this game is ass. The lighting is so flat and drab. It also bugs me that there are no natural shadows most times for characters indoors either

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
From Reddit:

Go to your Witcher 3 folder location and go into this folder:
"...\The Witcher 3\bin\config\base"
Open up "hidden.ini" with notepad.
Change "LockControlScheme=0" to "LockControlScheme=2"
This will get rid of the annoying message box and will always show the controls for the controller. You still can switch to your KB/M whenever you want, but it won't display the KB/M controls on the hud.

re: This Controller pop-up fix from reddit - it only half fixes it and you lose the mouse cursor in menus if you so wish to use it there....

I'm thinking CDPR are fixing this in the big patch, but even if they don't.. meh, it's all good now for me (once I got over how annoying it was lol)

Exentryk

Does the 980 have the same issue with the last 500MB of memory that the 970 does?

Regardless, I just did some running around (with Chrome open, Skype open, a few folders and Sublime text) and had max 1448MB memory usage according to GPU-Z. That's with my setting at 1800 (though YMMV because of your other in-game settings).

The mod is linked below but I didn't upload the one that gives you extra skillpoints just yet. So far I've only done the one that makes the XP curve more forgiving as you climb to level 20.

Link: http://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/comments/36oylk/level_up_system_too_slow_fear_not_witchers_made_a/

980 doesn't have the 500MB problem. But only 1448MB usage seems really low. Not that I'd complain if the game still works amazingly. Does increase that budget actually reduce pop in though? I might try to increase that to 2000 or something and see later.

Thanks for that link. I am okay with the exp, but would love if you could upload that skills one ^^

The indoor lighting in this game is ass. The lighting is so flat and drab. It also bugs me that there are no natural shadows most times for characters indoors either

That's one of the game's/engine's weak points for sure. The indoor scenes don't look good at all, especially compared to those in, say, AC: Unity.

Shadownet

Banned
How many fps are you getting with this setup? Is it possible to do 1080p and a solid 60fps?

The hair works in Witcher 3 is amazing.

zmwb.jpg

Vitor711

So, no more inventory crash, but I still get a hard crash after 2 hours or more of gametime.

Using unlimited FPS ingame and then locking my FPS to 60 with RS has solved the first problem at least it seems.

EDIT: Just had the latest Nvidia driver crash on me for no reason, outside of the game. I'm starting to think that this is the culprit here.

Shadownet

Banned
So I have a GTX 970 and a i5-4670K, 8GB of RAMS.

I just want to be able to run the game at 1080p and a solid 60fps. Is there any tweak or configuration that I can do to make the game look as good as possible while still maintaining that framerate? (Beside the normal stuff I can do in the setting menu)

Vitor711

I just want to be able to run the game at 1080p and a solid 60fps. Is there any tweak or configuration that I can do to make the game look as good as possible while still maintaining that framerate? (Beside the normal stuff I can do in the setting menu)

The tweak stuff makes things run worse, not better.

As for the main settings - Grass Density down to high adds a few frames and isn't much of a difference from Ultra. Same with shadows.

Dropping foliage down to high helps too. Everything else can be on Ultra and you should be good (hairworks off).

Exentryk

You should be able to do everything ultra except high foliage density and high shadows, and turn off Hairworks. That should get you fairly close to 1080p60. You can change HDAO+ to SSAO to get more frames if you are short. To be honest, there isn't much difference with low shadow quality and ultra, so you can reduce that more if you want.

That's one of the game's/engine's weak points for sure. The indoor scenes don't look good at all, especially compared to those in, say, AC: Unity.
Yep, hard beat AC:U's lighting though but TW3 just isnt good in general. Outside has lots of dynamic lights and shadows going on but indoors its all flat

Corpekata

Banned
Annnnnd just got the same crash again that I thought was fixed by underclocking my card. Doing that seemed to have made them less frequent but not gone. Guess it's time to try older drivers.

daninthemix

Briefly considered waiting for the patch to drop (why isn't it on GOG already? There's no certification wait on their own platform...) but I'm going to keep playing and enjoying it, unless I get another crash. I've had one so far - a GPU driver crash, as reported in event viewer - and after that I switched from borderless to fullscreen w/adaptive v-sync.

As PC gamers we could spend our entire lives waiting rather than simply playing - waiting for the next round of GPUs, the next patch etc.

EDIT: Ah who am I kidding? Gonna play Far Cry 4 while I wait for the patch.

Foxix Von

Amd users don't even have crossfire yet, that should be causing a bloody rabble.

As above, I would be even more pissed if I owned a 7990 and it ran like a 7970 for this game ATM. Dang!

Wait, what? It works for me...? I have to fidget with it a bit at the start, but setting it to AFR works. I mean it scales like a hot plate of ass but it works. Gets me ultra on everything at 2560x1440 w/ hairworks tweaked down in CCC at 30fps. If I disable crossfire the game takes a huge dump.

JUST FINISHED BUILDING MY FIRST EVER PC FOR THIS GAME!!!

Whoops, sorry about capslock guys. Anyways , I decided to run this game at ultra settings (everything is maxed out all the stuff in post-processing and everything else, hairworks on etc etc etc) @ 1440p. I am getting minimum of 30 fps usually average 34.

My specs:

GTX 970
core i5 4690k
16gb 2133 ram
1440p monitor

From what I'm seeing, i seem to be around the same as everyone else witha similar configuration.

I'll probably turn down the settings from ultra because I want 40 fps minimum (thats when you first start feeling that smooth feeling). But man I'm impressed with my 970 for maxxing out this game on a 1440p monitor with 30fps. Not bad.

Evo X

JUST FINISHED BUILDING MY FIRST EVER PC FOR THIS GAME!!!

Congrats and welcome! You are gonna be hooked. Built my first PC 10 years ago. :D

You could probably achieve your performance goals by turning off hairworks and turning foliage down one notch to High instead of Ultra. If that doesn't work, turn Shadows and Grass Density down one notch as well.

Corpekata

Banned
What are the fixes for crash to desktop? I have seen a few crashes now that I am out of the prologue.

Nuking overclocks on GPU, using "unlimited" frame rate cap (you can cap it via outside program if you want) and putting power management to Prefer Max performance in control panel are reportedly fixing it for some.

Nuking my OC made them much rarer but still happens.

Congrats and welcome! You are gonna be hooked. Built my first PC 10 years ago. :D

You could probably achieve your performance goals by turning off hairworks and turning foliage down one notch to High instead of Ultra. If that doesn't work, turn Shadows and Grass Density down one notch as well.

Thanks, exciting times are ahead!

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Nuking overclocks on GPU, using "unlimited" frame rate cap (you can cap it via outside program if you want) and putting power management to Prefer Max performance in control panel are reportedly fixing it for some.

Interesting. Played the prologue for 12+ hours, got out of it and got a crash within an hour. Not sure if that was coincidence or not.

Oh well. My time with the game is at it's end for now. Boarding a plane in a few hours, will be gone for 10 days. Should be nice to come back to whatever improvements the patch makes.

x3sphere

The controls in this game felt somewhat laggy to me so I did some digging and found that changing Maximum Prerendered Frames in the Nvidia CP can reduce input lag. I set this to 1 and the game controls feel a lot better now. Single GPU only though - the setting has no effect for SLI apparently.

hwateber

Used the steam fps counter for my playthrough tonight. Generally sat between 50-55 fps which was pretty good. 1440p, ultra everything except shadows and foliage. SSAO and no hairworks. Again this is with a r9 290 and 3570k. Both modestly overclocked

Played now for an hour with no freezes. Looks like the 60fps cap was the culprit? Fingers crossed. Before I was getting freezes all over the place, every 10 mins. Haven't spent too much time in inventory though....

Also, nvidia FXAA made it look better. I think.

hlhbk

I got all of those settings except power management settings. I will try that.

had 4 crashes in 6 hours of play yesterday.

0 crashes in 6 hours of play today.

think the game is just unstable and random, honestly.

i had the driver crash, the freeze but still sound/hear yourself responding to your inputs, and the inventory one twice. was like an appetizer sampler of sadness and frustration.

Serick

Married Member
So it seems I can hit 1080p/60 fps steady if I max everything and hair works off or hair works on and I have to turn grass, shadows, and foliage down to high. Everything maxed and I'm 50-55 fps with rare dips to high 40s.

I'm so torn!

I7 4790k 4.6Ghz
Evga Gtx 980 SC edition

Edit: might be able to get 60 with hairworks and only foliage on high, haven't tried that yet.

Spazznid

Windows 10 build 10122 came out. And then I couldn't start the game. Just Witcher. Reinstalled windows, and remembered GoG doesn't have cloud saves... I'M TRYING TO LOVE YOU WINDOWS BUT YOU MAKE IT SO FUCKING HARD.

Derp

I dunno. I think everyone just has way too much anxiety with this game. just play and enjoy as is
It has nothing to do with anxiety. No matter how good your game is, if you tell me that there's going to be a massive patch soon that adds/improves/changes a lot of stuff (like... 600 changes) and I haven't started the game yet, then I'm going to wait for that patch before starting properly.

How many fps are you getting with this setup? Is it possible to do 1080p and a solid 60fps?

Yes, absolutely.

I have a 4690k and a 970. I'm playing on Ultra everything except for shadows and foliage distance, which are on high. Getting a locked 60FPS and 1080p.

In fact, I was actually getting 70-80 FPS without vsync. I was even able to turn on hairworks and get about 55-60, somehow. I don't even understand how to be honest.

For me, it looks like the FPS limiter setting was the culprit for freezing. Turned it to unlimited and just played about 2 hours without any issues. Before I would freeze in 10-15 minutes. GPU only reached 65 deg Celsius as well in my session.

Serick

Married Member
Yes, absolutely.

I have a 4690k and a 970. I'm playing on Ultra everything except for shadows and foliage distance, which are on high. Getting a locked 60FPS and 1080p.

In fact, I was actually getting 70-80 FPS without vsync. I was even able to turn on hairworks and get about 55-60, somehow. I don't even understand how to be honest.

For me, it looks like the FPS limiter setting was the culprit for freezing. Turned it to unlimited and just played about 2 hours without any issues. Before I would freeze in 10-15 minutes. GPU only reached 65 deg Celsius as well in my session.

I think foliage is the biggest fps hit out of all the options. (After hairworks obviously)

arcoN

Neo Member
on my rig it runs really well:

i7 3770k
GTX 970 OC'd
16Gb GEIL 1833 Mhz
1440p

Mostly on Ultra, Hairworks Turned off (i would want to turn it on) :'(

With Hairworks ive got about 26-35 fps.
Without them im in between 38-50 fps.

without ini tweak - ill try that when i get home :)

FLAguy954

Just to be clear, Nvidia users don't have a way to reduce tessellation levels to enable Hairworks?

I'm asking because many here are recommending disabling Hairworks.

I think that is kind of backwards for AMD users to be able to use a graphical effect that would generally work better on Nvidia cards...

I have a i5 4460, GTX 960, 8 GB Ram and I am getting 31-42 FPS on Ultra @1920x1200 resolution, HBAO, no hair works. Average FPS 38. I have the GTX 960 OC at 1500. I am very happy with this performance. The game looks amazing!

Ilmyr

There is no way the BSOD is related to overheating, those temps are totally fine for both the CPU and GPU. The BSOD could be related to unstable overclock, although 4.0ghz is pretty minor.

This game really pushes GPUs though, mine has been creeping up to 80C, though my GPU (r9 290) is notorious for running hot as shit.

Ok thanks. I spent more time investigating the problem. The BSOD was not caused by overheat. But it only occured while i alt+tab'd to desktop (maybe a driver problem).
I could reproduce the temperature while alt+tab. It seems the game in background causes a much higher load for the CPU and GPU.

While i was ingame in fullscreen mode, i played 2 hours straight, no crash and i also monitored the temperature again:

CPU max. 55° C
GPU max. 68° C

@ i7 4790K, GTX 970 G1 Gaming, 1080p, Ultra preset, Postproc OFF, Hairworks OFF -> 60 fps

I won't alt+tab this game again...

ValfarHL

Ok thanks. I spent more time investigating the problem. The BSOD was not caused by overheat. But it only occured while i alt+tab'd to desktop (maybe a driver problem).
I could reproduce the temperature while alt+tab. It seems the game in background causes a much higher load for the CPU and GPU.

While i was ingame in fullscreen mode, i played 2 hours straight, no crash and i also monitored the temperature again:

CPU max. 55° C
GPU max. 68° C

@ i7 4790K, GTX 970 G1 Gaming, 1080p, Ultra preset, Postproc OFF, Hairworks OFF -> 60 fps

I won't alt+tab this game again...

GPU and CPU usage seems dependent on whether you have set it to windowed or fullscreen.

I have been running both, without any crashes in alt-tabbing. I have had a few crashes in game though. Did all the things recommended from the link I pasted above, and it sure seems more stable. Dunno which setting fixed it..

Top Bottom