• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With the announcements of the PS5 Pro and Switch Successor expected soon, which one do you expect will be a bigger reveal?

Which will be the bigger news?

• Total voters

LakeOf9

Assuming both of these are getting announced soon, I am curious what will be the bigger announcement. Among a lot of enthusiasts on GAF, I assume PS5 Pro is the bigger news, because it's a high end console with cutting edge (console) graphics. Do you think it will also be the bigger news in the mainstream?

DJ12

I care about power and the cutting edge so the ps5 pro is by far the most interesting for me.

I'll get a switch 2 as I like some Nintendo games (and it's not another Wii U) but that's about the extent of my excitement for it.

dottme

I'm really interested for the PS5 Pro, but globally I believe Switch 2 will be a bigger news. It's just from a tech point of view, I don't expect that much from switch 2. If it can do at least as good as a 2 or 3 years old phone, that's all I expect from it.

Robb

Gold Member
200w.gif

Not even the Ps6 would be bigger news than the next Switch. We’re talking the sequel to a platform that’ll likely outsell the Ps2.

Da1337Vinci

Neo Member
Switch 2 either people will complain why it's just a performance upgrade or Nintendo does Nintendo things and people will talk about that

Last edited:

Fess

???

Nintendo is about to show an all new platform, they’re starting a new console generation, they’ll unveil new games to sell the system, new features, new console design, new controllers, new UI.

Enthusiast gamer or not, an upgrade for an existing console can’t compete with that. Nor would a 5090 or 9800X3D or whatever else upgrade that could be unveiled.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
???

Nintendo is about to show an all new platform, they’re starting a new console generation, they’ll unveil new games to sell the system, new features, new console design, new controllers, new UI.

Enthusiast gamer or not, an upgrade for an existing console can’t compete with that. Nor would a 5090 or 9800X3D or whatever else upgrade that could be unveiled.
Its going to be the Switch with a new UI and this time, instead of targeting PS3 graphics, they will target PS4 graphics. Yay.

PS5 PRO is endlessly more exciting to me because now we get to see what this current gen can really do, and it will come with a slew of 1st Party Sony announcements

BlackTron

Assuming pro upgrade of existing console is bigger reveal for most people than new gen Nintendo system, LOL

The Switch 2 reveal will always be bigger. It's Nintendo's next console and not an upgrade. While of course I want to see what the PS5 Pro can do, it's not going to be as interesting as seeing what the next Mario will look like.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
midgen refresh of existing console vs brand new console ... :pie_thinking:

(But for me it's the PS5 Pro - already sold my PS5 in anticipation)

Last edited:

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
50% of Sony's base is still on PS4. Y'all kidding yourselves if you think a slightly better PS5 is somehow gonna turn more heads.
Imagine all those millions putting up with those load times today. Destiny 2 was pulling 3min plus load times way back when.

FeralEcho

Switch 2 easy,and I'm sure the mainstream feels the same...PS5 Pro will just be a better PS5...Which is the problem in itself as for me the PS5 is missing the software this gen compared to the Switch.

I've had way more favourites from Nintendo's console this gen compared to Sony. Sony dropped the ball hard on interesting games this generation.

Again...For me.I'm sure alot of other people are satisfied with their offerings this gen but compared to previous generations like PS3,PS2,PS1 where Sony was king for me in the software department as well as hardware they are a far cry this generation,mainly riding on the back of 2nd party games.

Yet this gen Nintendo was for me what Sony was back then and I'm more interested in seeing how they continue on that road.

Plus one thing to take into account for this comparisson,one is an upgrade to an already available console, the other is the start of a new console generation,which means big deals from the manufacturer to try and attract the hardcore gamers in the first 2 years with new exciting games yet with PS5 pro,while there will be new game announcements,most of the focus will be on how much better it can play games already announced,like it was with PS4Pro.

The excitement will be much higher seeing new interesting games than "well now you can play GTA 6 at 60fps."

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
How is this even a question? Successor to what is about to be the best selling console of all time vs a mid gen refresh.

SHA

Look at the software side, Sony just declared they don't know about their future ips, Nintendo does, duh!!!

Last edited:

Fess

Its going to be the Switch with a new UI and this time, instead of targeting PS3 graphics, they will target PS4 graphics. Yay.

PS5 PRO is endlessly more exciting to me because now we get to see what this current gen can really do, and it will come with a slew of 1st Party Sony announcements
It’s a new platform and new generation, Nintendo always have something new up their sleeves, and they’ll have a new wave of software they’ve been cooking for years. Can’t see how you can’t be excited about that.

PS5 Pro is going to be like PS4 Pro was. If you were excited then I guess you’ll be excited now as well.
I see no need for it, everything is already 60fps so the upgrade will be about higher resolution and ray-tracing, old news if you’re on PC.

cormack12

Gold Member
Sony easily. The new Switch is kind of expected, it will be an event when it gets announced but then pretty quickly the realisation of underpowered hardware again will deflate the hype.

The custom tech for the PS will impress more than FSR and have great examples imo

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Switch 2 for me to see how that chips handles DLSS
If we can get PS5 graphics at 360p upscaled to 720p or 1080p handheld

Markio128

Gold Member
The Switch needs an upgrade more than the PS5, so that’s my rationale for which will garner the most interest.

I think gamers/media will be expecting a more visible difference in graphics from the Switch to Switch 2, than PS5 to PS5 Pro.

I’m interested in both.

nnytk

Neo Member
PS5 Pro for me, since it's the first time in 20+ years that I'm not upgrading my PC and moving to console gaming for current gen graphics and gaming in general. I also haven't played Armored Core, BG3, Stellar Blade, FF16, Wukong, Astrobot, Demon Souls, etc.

The hype is real.

reinking

Gold Member
I get that the Switch 2 is a "new" console but is everyone expecting anything more than a more powerful Switch? I am expecting it to go back to LCD and hardware that is equivalent to current consoles even when docked. I am fine with that but I am more excited about the next console that pushes current/future games even further. I expect it to be great for Nintendo games but I do not expect either console to be the "next generation" of third-party games. I expect most games to be on par with the current generation with a strong push by DLSS and PSSR for added effeciency and effects. Personally, I am looking forward to seeing how much further the PS5 Pro and push current gen graphics with the improved hardware.

ManaByte

No one outside of hardcore enthusiasts are going to want to pay $600-700 for an upgraded PS5 because their current one plays Call of Duty, 2K, etc fine for them.

The Switch 2 is the successor to the most successful modern console and what will soon be the most successful console ever. So it's going to be a huge deal.

Nintendo by a mile. those switch ads from Nintendo are masterpieces of how to sell a device and games to a wider audience. Sony is trying to keep enthusiasts and lure ps4 consumers into their ecosystem. Unless we get path tracing goodness then it’s just ps5 games. Imagine if we get quake 2 updated rtx for older titles with new textures.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Nintendo having a massive launch in q2 will bring investment cash back to the industry.

I think Sony will limit console release this holiday (I still believe it will be a q1 2025 release) and they will push the rest of the units to 2025 for the YOY bottom line impact.

No WAY they want to blow out Q4 this year and face a tough holiday 2025.

Knightime_X

Switch 2 for me, easily.
Mostly because a lot of those games won't be on ps5 anything.
As far as Ps5 Pro, an RTX 5070 ti will easily cover that, and won't be limited to the ps5 environment.

//DEVIL//

lol at comparing a system with barely any power to make a difference in scale when it comes to big games VS a brand new generation of handheld gaming that is powered by an NVIDIA with dlss support in it .

I am not a big Nintendo fan outside of few games here and there and I still can’t wait to get my hands on the super switch 2.

Ps5 pro is a meh just the old the old one was . Oh they added a better ray tracing that still gonna suck on consoles . Wow it’s fucking nothing .

The only hope I have and want from PS5 pro is the pisser technology to be as good as dlss. Because if it’s FSR enhanced then it’s garbage

Sorcerer

Nintendo has to announce games specifc to it's new console. Sony does not have to do that. Whatever is coming for the vanilla PS5 will work on the Pro. That takes the edge of Sony's announcement to a certain extent.

Last edited:
Well, obviously the Switch 2. It's a new gen for Nintendo. Never is a mid-gen refresh going to beat a brand new piece of HW.

I don't really care about either, but the Pro won't really do anything (will be 'held back' by the PS5) and the Switch is long overdue a new version, so I voted Switch 2.

Zathalus

Switch 2 for the mainstream (obviously), and for me personally as well. I’m excited for the Pro but it’s just a mid-gen upgrade for the PS5. Switch 2 is a brand new console.

Last edited:

Matsuchezz

I think the last time I was excited by a Nintendo machine or game Was in the game cube era with the Zelda game. And I mean the realistic one no the cell shaded one. Nowadays neither excite me. So ps5 pro

Preseznik

Neo Member
A new gen or a Pro version of current gen, not really a contest.
I am looking forward to both, but I can't imagnie PS5 Pro upstaging Switch 2 in terms of reveal hype and delivery.

I imagine the majority of Switch owners are feverishly anticipating the next system, with many/most thinking it's long overdue. The conversation on PS5 Pro seems centered on whether it's even justified, and only a small percentage of vanilla PS5 owners are likely upgrading.

Top Bottom