• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With the announcements of the PS5 Pro and Switch Successor expected soon, which one do you expect will be a bigger reveal?

Which will be the bigger news?

• Total voters
BotW/TotK are running on a WiiU game engine ffs. Seeing first party Nintendo titles running on PS4+ level hardware is going to blow people's dicks off.

I bought a PS4 Pro day one but the PS5 Pro seems pointless right now, especially with rumors of a GTA6 delay, unless Naughty Dog's new IP is much farther along than we thought, which seems doubtful

Parazels

I'm 100% sure in two things:
1) Switch 2 will sweep out the other handhelds in terms of sales.
2) Switch 2 (finally!) will get tons of multiplatform titles like Fallout or Call of Duty.

It's going to be... perfect?

Hohenheim

Well, for the mainstream you can't really compare a new, almost identical version of a existing console with the reveal of a brand new console from Nintendo.

I'm most excited for the reveal of Nvidias 50-series and the upcoming 9000x3d chips from AMD, but will definitly watch the reveal of new Nintendo hardware too. Mostly to get a release date for Metroid Prime 4!

Maestr0

PS5 pro, my ass, why ?

The successor to the switch will be more watched than another iteration of a console who claimed to do 4k 60 fps, when a lot of games doesn't

Do you even have to ask?

Yes the PS5 Pro will be a big announcement, but it's an iteration of a system that's already been available since 2020, and in itself doesn't necessarily mean new games will be revealed or released with it in mind (although chances are high SIE'll reveal a new 1P game this month, and games will have PS5 Pro versions).

Switch 2 is a full-on successor to the original Switch, which was the biggest change in Nintendo's hardware platform since the introduction of the Game Boy. It merged their home console and portable markets together and now they're arguably more successful than ever. We also know Nintendo have several heavy hitters lined up for the Switch 2, at least one of them at launch.

Again, PS5 Pro will be a big deal in its own right, but the Switch 2 is legit a whole new system. The choice is pretty clear IMO.

Mobilemofo

For me personally, it's the launch of the Adidas SL72s, I mean, you only get iconic trainers in slightly different shades than what's been possible before once in the blue moon. Ps5pro a very close second.

Also, I don't care about the switch or it's sequel.

Last edited:
I am satisfied with the performance of PS5. So, PS5 Pro wont be on my radar. Instead I am rather looking forward to PS6.

Between Pro and Switch 2, I am more interested to see the latter and also its list of upcoming games. If the lineup is as good as Switch and the price is similar, I might buy it for my kid who plays Switch games for hours every day.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
PS5 is still doing a pretty good job, obviously a new Nintendo console will eliminate doubts.

GrouchyGamer

Neo Member
Switch 2 no question. Already own a PS5 with 2TB SSD expansion. Not excited to pay $600+ for a sloghtly upgraded system that will play the same games that the base PS5 already plays well enough.

Switch 2 will give me access to more content.

namenotfound

Neo Member
I know more people that bought a PS4 or Switch after the PS4 Pro released than than buying a PS4 Pro. PS5 Pro I don't think will draw more interest than the PS4 Pro. I'd be surprised if it matched PS4 Pro sales. I'm not upgrading the PS5. No games making me buy a PS5 Pro or launch PS6. After this gen I'm firmly in the waiting until a slim camp. Switch 2 is easily the bigger news for the mainstream and enthusiast gamer

Last edited:

Pelao

One is simply a mid-gen refresh, while the other is a completely new system. The answer is obviously the Switch's successor, and I say this as someone who will probably end up buying both.

Last edited:
Switch 2 announcement will have a much larger impact on the market/mainstream, given the vast difference in units sold versus PS5. I'm also more interested in the Switch 2 reveal because I expect it will be accompanied by more game announcements, which I care about far more than system specs.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I'm still not convinced that it's gonna happen yet. But Switch 2 of course.

ByWatterson

I mean if naughty dog or guerrilla shows off something ps5pro optimized nothing on switch 2 will even be in the same league

Graphically no.

But Nintendo squeezing every ounce of performance and fidelity out of a new device with those IP?

Biblical.

Last edited:
I'm more excited about the PS5 Pro because I know the hardware will be decent and Nintendo always disappoints on hardware.

That said, I mean - a new generation for Nintendo is obviously a much bigger deal, PS5 Pro is niche because it's not a PS6

And I'm looking forward to Nintendo revealing software for it.

LakeOf9

Correct me if I'm wrong but it's rumour and speculation, no? I'm mainly talking about Nintendo..
Either way we know an announcement is due within the next six months (because Nintendo has promised an announcement before March 31).

Current rumours peg it for late September/early October though, yes

Haint

Nintendo's likely to unveil teasing a Mario Kart or 3D Mario. Sony will probably unveil showing Black Lives Matter Man 3 swinging through the same New York asset for the 100th time.

Last edited:

Sentenza

My take is "I don't particularly care about either, but I'm betting the farm on Switch 2 being a far bigger success".

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
mmm... what would be more interesting the same Horizon now in 4K120FPS, or an open world Mario game....

a'la mode

Neo Member
I'll upgrade from PS5 to PS5 Pro for sure, but Switch 2 is still certainly bigger both for me and the mainstream. It'll be really interesting to see what the final hardware revision will look like and what games can be expected to land on it. If it looks good I'll get it too!

Stu_Hart

Neo Member
I highly doubt that the switch 2 would be powerful enough to run current gen games, don't care about nintendo games and the ps5 pro is not really needed. I highly doubt that sony is going to have a great showing with th ps5 pro reveal as they have a bad track record of presenting their hardware lately, so switch 2 might have a more interesting reveal, but meh...

I know I’ll end up using the PS5 Pro more in the long run. But just by principle, the answer is Nintendo.

The switch has sold a ridiculous amount of units and has been in the market for longer. Switch 2 is next gen for Nintendo and it’ll be huge news simply because people are interested in what they have been cooking for so long. New Mario? DLSS? Backwards compatibility? Even if the answers are “Not, nope and no” it’s still huge news “New Switch doesn’t have Backwards Compatibility”

PS5 Pro, on the other hand, it’s just a mid-gen refresh. It’s in gamers radars for sure, but only to know the price and if it’s really such a big deal to them.

Everyone, even my kids and my grandma, will be interested to see what’s next for the house of Mario.

Top Bottom