• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 03•04-06•16 - Deadpool has fallen, Disney's animated animal kingdom reigns

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaosslug

PehTXF3.jpg
pFrDMww.jpg
vSYTcEJ.jpg
gvPWbpk.jpg
Xr2hQZd.jpg

tomatometer:
Cfk79.gif
98% Zootopia
eptv7.gif
26% London Has Fallen
kavuF.gif
84% Deadpool
8vteV.gif
60% Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
5f4ew.gif
13% Gods of Egypt
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
aAS8X.gif
53% The Other Side of the Door

metacritic:
*click pic(s) for source*

Disney’s ‘Zootopia’ Opens Big With $73.7 Million Debut

Disney’s “Zootopia” scored the fourth biggest March opening, debuting to $73.7 million over the weekend.

The animated story about a rabbit who joins the police force ranks as the biggest Disney Animation launch (though not Pixar debut), outstripping “Frozen,” the 2012 blockbuster that bowed to $67.4 million. With no major family film opening until “The Jungle Book” lands on April 15, “Zootopia” is well positioned to be the defacto choice for moviegoers with children for the next month.

“There’s an absence of competition,” said Dave Hollis, Disney’s distribution chief. “We are set up to have a big, big run.”

Disney did not release a budget, but most animated films cost in excess of $100 million. “Zootopia” screened in 3,827 locations.Overseas, where “Zootopia” has been playing for three weeks, the film added another $63.4 million to its haul, pushing its global total to $232.5 million. The film continues a sterling comeback run for Disney Animation, which had reached a creative and commercial nadir with the likes of “Home on the Range.” Since Pixar’s Ed Catmull and John Lasseter took the reins following Disney’s 2006 acquisition of their company, the animation arm has roared back to life, fielding hits such as “Frozen,” “Tangled,” and “Wreck It Ralph,” and winning Oscars.

“They brought a focus on quality,” said Hollis. “They recognize that quality is the best business plan.”

Beyond the bunnies, Gerard Butler managed to wash out some of the sour taste in his mouth after “Gods of Egypt” flopped spectacularly. “London Has Fallen,” the Scottish actor’s followup to “Olympus Has Fallen,” opened solidly to $21.5 million from 3,490 locations for a second place finish. That does, however, trail the first film’s $30 million debut. Focus Features fielded the picture, which carried a $60 million price tag. It played older and male, with more than 76% of the audience over the age of 25.

“We’re really pleased with the opening and we think we’re going to leg out well from here,” said Jim Orr, Focus’ distribution chief. “That older demographic doesn’t necessarily rush out on opening weekend.”

Tina Fey was not as lucky as Butler. The actress’ “Whiskey Tango Foxtrot” stumbled with a $7.6 million launch from 2,374 venues. Paramount backed the $35 million dramedy about a war reporter who gets hooked on the adrenaline rush of covering Afghanistan. War films and political comedies can be tough sells — witness the financial failures of “Charlie Wilson’s War,” “Our Brand is Crisis,” and “Jarhead.” Paramount Vice Chairman Rob Moore said that he hoped the audience would build in the coming weeks, as it did for Fey’s recent hit “Sisters.”

“We were hoping for more,” he said. “But Tina’s last movie played to a good multiple and we had a good Saturday, so we have a chance of playing for a little while to a reasonable outcome.”

After four weeks in theaters, “Deadpool” barreled past the $300 million mark. The comic book movie finished in third place with $16.4 million, pushing its domestic haul to $311.1 million.

“Gods of Egypt” rounded out the top five, picking up $5 million. The $140 million action epic has earned a meagre $22.8 million domestically.

Fresh off its best picture win at last weekend’s Academy Awards, newspaper drama “Spotlight” capitalized on the Oscar love by pulling in $1.8 million. The film has netted $41.6 million during its theatrical run.

In limited release, Broad Green debuted “Knight of Cubs,” Terrence Malick’s lyrical portrait of the spiritual journey of a writer (Christian Bale), in four theaters where it earned $56,688 for a $14,172 per-screen average.

March was once seen as a dumping ground for movies, but the success of spring releases like “The Hunger Games,” “Alice in Wonderland,” “Cinderella,” and now “Zootopia” has shattered that prejudice.

“This proves March is now a blockbuster month,” said Paul Dergarabedian, senior media analyst at ComScore.

*click pic for full list/source*

*click pic for source*

strafer

That is a rather small budget on London Has Fallen. Nice.

And I still laugh at the Gods of Egypt master budget :p

GhaleonEB

Gods of Egypt will be lucky to inch to $30m - it's going to be dropped from theaters en masse next week.

Really happy to see Zootopia's success. Came out of left field with how excellent it turned out to be. Disney Animation is on a roll.

Gods of Egypt will be lucky to inch to $30m - it's going to be dropped from theaters en masse next week.

Really happy to see Zootopia's success. Came out of left field with how excellent it turned out to be. Disney Animation is on a roll.

For the past 4-5 years Disney has been much better than Pixar as far as i am concerned.

Ridley327

The people have spoken, and the only Gerard Butler they want is the kind that stars in xenophobic action films where he spouts one-liners while savagely murdering brown people.

Who wants to bet that a sequel is already internally greenlit at Disney?

Because after this fantastic box office performance the chances of a sequel shot up 200%.

Hopefully Zootopia's success also gets Wreck-It Ralph 2 finally greenlit.

Going to see London Has Fallen this afternoon. I expect a by the books Die Hard movie. Could've waited for the home release on it, but decided why not see it on the big screen.

YES YES YES ! Zootopia I'm so happy it did well ! AWESOME.
Loved the movie and really happy it did also do very well in the USA this movie has all the right things going for it.

Loved it 3 weeks ago when it launched here.

Kusagari

I always thought beating Passion wasn't happening outside of amazing legs.

I just hope it can eke past American Sniper.

Dai101

Banned
The people have spoken, and the only Gerard Butler they want is the kind that stars in xenophobic action films where he spouts one-liners while savagely murdering brown people.

American Sniper 2 starring Gerard Butler just got green litted

kswiston

Worldwide Updates:

Deadpool - $673M
The Revenant - $430M
Zootopia - $233M
Kung Fu Panda 3 - $324M
Star Wars the Force Awakens - $2.053B

Concept17

I actually look forward more to what Disney Animation is doing these days and not Pixar.

Seems weird, but they've been the better studio for awhile now.

I actually look forward more to what Disney Animation is doing these days and not Pixar.

As it should be. I grew up during the Disney Feature Animation renaissance, starting with Mermaid. At one point in my life, my idols were Glen Keane and Andreas Deja.

Glad to see things back to form, even if things aren't hand drawn anymore. :(

Yeah outside of inside out pixar hasn't been good in years.

Love seeing great movies come out of Disney animation again can't wait to see zootopia. Though I do wish they had something traditionally animated in the pipeline.

Loxley

For as much as folks like to shit on Lasseter for the Cars franchise, the guy absolutely deserves credit for bringing Walt Disney Animation Studios out of the post-Tarzan dark years. Ever since he was put in charge the quality of their output has increased dramatically.

For as much as folks like to shit on Lasseter for the Cars franchise, the guy absolutely deserves credit for bringing Walt Disney Animation Studios out of the post-Tarzan dark years. Ever since he was put in charge the quality of their output has increased dramatically.

Princess and the Frog didn't get nearly enough love.

kswiston

Pixar got turned into a merchandising machine to give Disney Animation Studios the breathing room to do that. Personally, I don't think anything we have seen out of post 2008 Disney has had the sophistication and artistry of Pixar's best, but they've done nothing but original films (and one Winnie the Pooh film) since then no? It's not hard to see why that would be more appealing than Pixar's sequel overload post Toy Story 3. It also doesn't help that two of Pixar's 3 original films this decade (Brave and The Good Dinosaur) were troubled productions.

Is this what you mean with "Pushing over"?

Pretty much. Skyfall's run ended March 10th, 2013. So if Spectre is in theatres next weekend, it would have had a longer run than Skyfall. Wonder why.

Quantum of Solace is probably the most comparable Bond film to Spectre in terms of front-loadedness and reception. That was pulled from screens in late January.

kewlmyc

Hoped that Deadpool would beat American Sniper domestically, but it doesn't seem like it anymore. Still a fantastic run.

Inside Out alone is better than anything Disney has put out since Princess and the Frog. I'm not sure if I'll see Zootopia in theaters or just wait until it's on Netflix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom