• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 03•04-06•16 - Deadpool has fallen, Disney's animated animal kingdom reigns

Status
Not open for further replies.

BumRush

Weekend Studio Estimates:

1) Zootopia - $50.0M - $143M total
2) 10 Cloverfield Lane - $25.2M
3) Deadpool - $10.8M - $328M total
4) London Has Fallen - $10.7M - $39M total

x) Whiskey Tango Foxtrot - $4.6M - $15M total
x) The Young Messiah - $3.4M
x) The Brothers Grimsby - $3.2M

Zootopia dropped 33% this weekend. Mojo is down or I would give a comparison to some of the other large March Animation openers.

Really excited to see zootopias international take.

kswiston

Damn, that's really really good.

Actually, it looks like Chinese numbers being reported by Western sources are underestimated by a few million, so actuals will likely go up a bit on Monday.

China's total is now $112M. ERC is reporting $109M.

Anyhow, extremely conservative estimate gives $200M more from Domestic + China. Add in the UK, Japan, and the rest of the markets left to open, plus holdovers, and I don't see how Zootopia misses $800M.

BumRush

Actually, it looks like Chinese numbers being reported by Western sources are underestimated by a few million, so actuals will likely go up a bit on Monday.

China's total is now $112M.

I thought it would do well but this is better than I expected. Quality aside (don't want to start that game), Disney Animation might be more of a box office draw than Pixar now.

kswiston

After 10 days, Zootopia is $21M ahead of The Lorax. Zootopia opened about $5M higher, but its second weekend was $11M higher.

The Lorax earned $214M domestic. Zootopia is set to zoom past $250M. If it gets a similar hold next week, $300M+ can happen.

Here are the other recent Disney Animation films after their second weekend.

Big Hero 6 - $110M ($34.7M second weekend)
Frozen - $134M ($31.6M second weekend)
Wreck it Ralph - $94M ($33M second weekend)
Tangled - $97M ($21.6M second weekend)

EDIT: Tangled and especially Frozen had really leggy runs through (and beyond) the winter holiday season. Tangled's remaining run was 4.76x its second weekend. Frozen's was 8.41x its second weekend. the others were in the 3x range.

Still, even 3x Zootopia's $50M second weekend would put it just under $300M.

Thinking Zootopia will just skim past $300m then after that post, Kswiston. There is no way it will get past Frozen though. That movie had ridiculous legs.

Pachimari

BvS making under a billion will cause half of DCGaf to get themselves banned I feel.

I don't see how any rational person thinks Civil War has a chance at beating AoE, but then, fanboys aren't exactly rational now are they? (I still remember people saying TFA wouldn't beat AoE at the box office, lmfao)
What is AoE? Apocalypse?

Deadpool at almost 700mil worldwide on a shoestring budget lol
I'm so happy about this. How has Deadpool compared to Thor, The First Avenger, The Dark World, The Winter Soldier and Ant-Man? Anyone have the MCU worldwide figures?

Ahasverus

lolwat? artistic value?! none of these movies will have much of that. xmen, as woeful as the marketing often is, can be counted on for good character stuff with singer behind it. he salvaged a shit franchise very well with dofp.

hopefully batman v superman and civil war contain some great back and forths too, especially now that they finally have an interesting conflict in both films. there's more to chew on here if they pull it off.
You should read the Chris Terrio intervew yo. He's really putting art behind this thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom