• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 03•04-06•16 - Deadpool has fallen, Disney's animated animal kingdom reigns

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
BH6 is like the epitome of animated averageness. Completely by the numbers. It's undoubtedly one of Disney's lesser efforts since their second renaissance began. There's no conceivable way it's better than Inside Out.

It's not surprising, but Christ alive is Wreck-It Ralph ever disproportionately loved on this forum.

that and big hero 6 are the weakest disney movies in recent memory. tangled and frozen were so much better imo.

haven't seen zootopia but it looks like something i would enjoy.

Jigorath

Banned
Were you never looking? It received overwhelming positive critical reception.

86 on RT, 72 on MC

Solid but unspectacular reviews. I guess we got different definitions of a critically acclaimed masterpiece.

For comparison, Inside Out scored 98 on RT, 94 on MC. Not saying Inside Out's a masterpiece but it certainly got a massive amount of acclaim.

You shut your mouth.

Nah.

Ralph sucked.

Violet_0

Banned
Did Ralph become some critically acclaimed masterpiece when I wasn't looking?

it's decisive
some people were disappointed that it didn't do more with the arcade setting. Some people probably also just wanted a non-stop onslaught of videogame references because that's the culture they identify with
these same people likely also think BH6 is a good movie, they are beyond help

kswiston

Ip Man 3 had a $71M opening in China this weekend. That's about as much as the first two films grossed worldwide combined.

Zootopia had a much better than expected start of $24M in China, especially since its first day on Friday was only a bit over $3M. People following the Chinese box office are suggesting it has a shot at $100M there if legs hold up. Inside Out made $15M total in China.

The Mermaid is now up to $504M in China. The Chinese government extended its run to June, but it will be making peanuts long before then.

Dalek

Zootopia is doing insane at my local theater. I was taking my daughter to meet up with her friends. While we were in line the 4:10 showing sold out. We got out of line to regroup with the other parents-we decided to go for the 4:30 showing. We got back in line and it immediately sold out too. We had to settle for an IMAX showing for 5:10-and that too sold out almost immediately afterward.

Dalek

Tangled, Wreck it Ralph, BH6, Frozen all are better than Inside out, and by a large margin.

dis3.gif

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Kind of sucks episode 7 will likely finish a few million short of grossing more than Episode 1 and 4 combined domestically

Rue

No it is not. Inside out has a creative great idea, but the execution was shit. Tangled, Wreck it Ralph, BH6, Frozen all are better than Inside out, and by a large margin.

A lot of people are (and have given) going to give you shit for this but I 100% agree. I don't know if it was just my expectations or what but Inside Out was just mediocre/average to me with some genuinely good scenes. The movie felt like 60% filler (I really didn't like the whole Joy/Sadness "subplot" trip). I was so completely underwhelmed after seeing it had received so much critical acclaim. :(

Magwik

Banned
60% filler?
Joy/Sadness' journey being a subplot?
Am I in crazy town or something, or did people just not pay any attention at all to Inside Out?

GhaleonEB

A lot of people are (and have given) going to give you shit for this but I 100% agree. I don't know if it was just my expectations or what but Inside Out was just mediocre/average to me with some genuinely good scenes. The movie felt like 60% filler (I really didn't like the whole Joy/Sadness "subplot" trip). I was so completely underwhelmed after seeing it had received so much critical acclaim. :(
Their learnings on that journey was the main message of the film.

Rue

Their learnings on that journey was the main message of the film.

I know it was, I just didn't enjoy it. I know I'm in the minority here and I know that is the point, it's why said 'subplot' like that. As I said, maybe it was the hype but it just felt like the movie would have worked better as a short to me.

Epcott

Bravo Zootopia. When people said it was great and progressive for a kids film, I laughed. And then I saw it today. I am a believer now.

BH6 is like the epitome of animated averageness. Completely by the numbers. It's undoubtedly one of Disney's lesser efforts since their second renaissance began. There's no conceivable way it's better than Inside Out.

Hard to find a character with more charisma than Baymax, though. Specially in disney's recent output.

86 on RT, 72 on MC

Solid but unspectacular reviews. I guess we got different definitions of a critically acclaimed masterpiece.

For comparison, Inside Out scored 98 on RT, 94 on MC. Not saying Inside Out's a masterpiece but it certainly got a massive amount of acclaim.

Nah.

Ralph sucked.

I guess if you want to hold onto a worldview where films are either critically acclaimed masterpieces or they suck then nothing is ever going to meet your standards. But your initial post expressed shock that critics loved Wreck It Ralph, which they unquestionably did by a big majority.

LevelNth

Banned
TFA per theatre average still pretty damn good. 3 more weekends til it gets squashed by the home release, so it'll probably finish just short of $935m or so.

Dalek

Zootopia was wonderful and deserves its success. A major Disney animated film with a
Breaking Bad
joke.

Jigorath

Banned
I guess if you want to hold onto a worldview where films are either critically acclaimed masterpieces or they suck then nothing is ever going to meet your standards.

That's obviously not what I was doing. You're projecting. I made that "masterpiece" comment because I'm surprised the film has such a rabid defense force. You'd think I was bashing Toy Story here.

But your initial post expressed shock that critics loved Wreck It Ralph

Except it didn't. Still projecting.

Big Hero 6 being better than Inside Out is the biggest laugh I have had in a while, but opinions are opinions and they're allowed.

If Deadpool reaches $700 million or even $800 million worldwide it'll be sick.

Deadpool will cross $700 million this week but $800 million though? i'm not too sure of

Exodust

Banned
Wreck it Ralph was alright, not great but alright up until they spent the rest of the movie stuck in the most uninteresting of the worlds they've explored.

BH6 is so average it kinda annoys me. Great animation and style wasted on a forgettable movie.

Tangled still reigns supreme as the best of this era of Disney animated movies. Will probably check out Zootopia when it's out on BluRay.

CassSept

Hard to find a character with more charisma than Baymax, though. Specially in disney's recent output.

Really? Baymax felt like the most generic animated comic character possible.

There was nothing particularly interesting about Big Hero 6. I know Ghibli movies got no shot at the award nowadays (well, had now that Ghibli's dead) but it felt particularly sad when BH6 won with Jaguya.

CassSept

Big Hero 6 is the shittiest Disney movie. Even the damn smurfs movie is better.

Hey hey hey, BH6 isn't anything special but let's not get ahead of ourselves, that's gaming side's "X is literally THE worst game ever and an affront to humanity" level of hyperbole

TasTokyo

Deadpool has out grossed Man of Steel worldwide. That's so strange to think about, Deadpool's origin story being more popular than Supermans. Super happy for Ryan Reynolds though. Guy has clearly wanted to get Deadpool made for so long. Now just the extremely long wait until it's out here.

kswiston

Boxoffice.com posted their initial domestic prediction for Civil War. Right now they have it at $163M OW and $425M total. That total seems a bit optimistic for a $160M opening given the film's genre, but I guess they are expecting good legs.

They currently have BvS pegged at $159M OW and $390M total.

Ratchet and Clank has a prediction of $7.5M OW and $19M total. Seems about right for a video game film.

In China news, Zootopia's second Friday was over 3X as high as its opening Friday. The film has already grossed $64M, and will be over $100M in China by the end of this weekend. Some of the posters on the China Box Office board of BOT are suggesting that Zootopia has a good shot $200M+ in China. Apparently it is getting explosive WOM. Even if it doesn't get that high, KFP3 will lose the top animation record in another week or two.

I bet Disney didn't expect Chinese audiences to prefer talking bunnies to Jedi, but here we are.

medrew

Has there been any developments in respect to China and the numbers being reliable? Suggestions were that the numbers (at least for domestic movies) are as reliable as government GDP numbers.

kswiston

Deadline and Variety are both putting Zootopia in the $11-12M range today. They disagree on Cloverfield Lane ($12M vs $8M), but either way, Zootopia will easily repeat in First Place.

Has there been any developments in respect to China and the numbers being reliable? Suggestions were that the numbers (at least for domestic movies) are as reliable as government GDP numbers.

Reliable in what way? Presale numbers aren't a good predictor of performance as we saw with Star Wars, but the daily numbers we get after a film comes out are official numbers. There is a chance that some theatres skim off the top though, or redirect revenue to films they have incentive deals for, as was rumored to have happened to Terminator last summer. However, it's not like a film reported to make $100M actually made $150M or anything.

How can anyone say brave was better than wreck it Ralph? No one even remembers brave. That won oscar. That year ralph was so much better or that stop motion movie.

I agree that inside out is so overrated as well.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I'm going to optimistically call 300m for zootopia

Deadline early predicting the weekend for Zootopia to be $49.1m and Cloverfield with $24.5. Looks like Cloverfield got a cinemascore of B, which is better than the C the original one got.

Oh, and funny how the Deadline article about the box office also casually gives away a major thing about the end of 10 Cloverfield Lane. It is just casually there in the middle of a sentence.

GhaleonEB

Deadline early predicting the weekend for Zootopia to be $49.1m and Cloverfield with $24.5. Looks like Cloverfield got a cinemascore of B, which is better than the C the original one got.

Oh, and funny how the Deadline article about the box office also casually gives away a major thing about the end of 10 Cloverfield Lane. It is just casually there in the middle of a sentence.

Thanks for the reminder not to check in on their write up, which I do most weekend. Good grief. (Seeing it tonight.)

Deadline plays favorites, most definitely.

That Ghostbusters reboot story broke the way it did because Fleming at Deadline didn't like the idea of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom