• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 03•04-06•16 - Deadpool has fallen, Disney's animated animal kingdom reigns

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Not really. Disney Animation's films are hardly lacking in merchandising.

Sure, every animated film will have merch, but new IPs are always a risk. Frozen is the only thing from the new WDAS that has really blown up. What I mean is that Pixar has been focusing on easy money this decade, something that they never did in the 15 years prior.

I am sure it will still be decent to good, but does Toy Story really need a fourth film other than to sell more Toy Story toys to the next batch of 4-9 year olds? Even if you were one of the people who loved TS3 (I was pretty neutral on it), that was already the perfect send off to the series.

Cars 3 is even more transparent. So much so that Pixar/Disney bring up that $10B+ in merch whenever people start grumbling about the films.

In regards to the "this proves march is a blockbuster month" blurb toward the end... given how well American Sniper performed in January, how well Star Wars performed in December, how well Deadpool performed in February, how well films do in May, June, July... maybe the time of year really isn't that important and the box office folks just have a tinge of superstition in them? I think releasing a film people want to see is really all that matters.

kswiston

In regards to the "this proves march is a blockbuster month" blurb toward the end... given how well American Sniper performed in January, how well Star Wars performed in December, how well Deadpool performed in February, how well films do in May, June, July... maybe the time of year really isn't that important and the box office folks just have a tinge of superstition in them? I think releasing a film people want to see is really all that matters.

There are still advantages to releasing in the Summer or late Nov/Dec that you can't benefit from in other portions of the year (school and work holidays).

That said, there's not really anything intrinsically special about May, other than Memorial Day Weekend being good for films. Kids are mostly still in school, most people tend to take their vacations later in the year. I am surprised the spread to March and April has taken so long.

Inside Out alone is better than anything Disney has put out since Princess and the Frog. I'm not sure if I'll see Zootopia in theaters or just wait until it's on Netflix.

No it is not. Inside out has a creative great idea, but the execution was shit. Tangled, Wreck it Ralph, BH6, Frozen all are better than Inside out, and by a large margin. Tangled, with the exception of Ratatouille, is the best animated Disney corp movie made since the Lion King and that include Pixar animation.

Magwik

Banned
No it is not. Inside out has a creative great idea, but the execution was shit. Tangled, Wreck it Ralph, BH6, Frozen all are better than Inside out, and by a large margin. Tangled, with the exception of Ratatouille, is the best animated Disney corp movie made since the Lion King and that include Pixar animation.

Big Hero 6 better than Inside Out?
ItGvhXc.gif

GhaleonEB

I thought Inside Out was wonderful, and straight up hated Ratatouille. Opinions. :p

Movies have always had the ability to make money in any month, if the content is viable. The problem is, most bean counters look at historic performances and look to maximize earning potential. It's why movies were so packed in summer and until Cameron mined gold in December with big budgeted films like 'Titanic'. Then you had movies like LOTR and SW seek those pastures as well.

February will be no different and with big tent movies like BvS coming out in March (and March/April already having films like 'The Matrix' and the 'Fast and Furious' setting up shop there) we will likely see a year round calendar...except September. Studios really seem to hate that month for some reason... :p

GhaleonEB

Despite being a family film on the surface, I think Inside Out resonates better if you have had children.

I can't speak to seeing it without kids obviously, but that was a large part of its resonance. It really captured the bitter sweetness of seeing your kids grow up, and the temporal nature of childhood memories - and childhood - from the parental point of view.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Rise Gods of Egypt, rise.

$70 million in the bank, more is coming.

Toxi

Banned
LOL fucking BH6?

I feel like Disney's CG animated content in the past few years, while solid, isn't anything special. They're stock stories with stock characters. They tend to lack the layers of other animated movies. Something like Wreck-It Ralph with an incredible concept ends up being an incredibly typical story. Zootopia might be the first exception for me.

My problem with Inside out is that the journey inside was not well done, and the reflection on the outside was really disappointing.

My problem with Inside Out is I had someone super excited about it gush and ruin a major plot point/surprise. Then when they realized I hadn't seent (yeah, said "seent") it yet, they sheepishly apologized. :|

Now I really have no interest in seeing it. Zootopia is on my list of things to see though.

kswiston

My problem with Inside Out is I had someone super excited about it gush and ruin a major plot point/surprise. Then when they realized I hadn't seent (yeah, said "seent") it yet, they sheepishly apologized. :|

Now I really have no interest in seeing it. Zootopia is on my list of things to see though.

I cant really think of any plot points in Inside Out that ruin the experience if known ahead of time. Most of the stuff is fairly telecasted.

Its on (Canada) Netflix so its not exaxtly breaking the bank to check it out now.

Now I really have no interest in seeing it.

the film isn't a single plot point. If you were interested, you should see it. Unless the only reason you were interested was due to that single plot point. And to echo K-Swiss, I can't even imagine what "single plot point" of Inside Out could ruin why that movie works anyway. It's not much of a "whodunit" at all.

It's worth the time.

I cant really think of any plot points in Inside Out that ruin the experience uf known ahead of time. Most of the stuff is fairly telecasted.

Apparently
the imaginary friend is sacrificed and hits you in the feels?

the film isn't a single plot point. If you were interested, you should see it. Unless the only reason you were interested was due to that single plot point. And to echo K-Swiss, I can't even imagine what "single plot point" of Inside Out could ruin why that movie works anyway. It's not much of a "whodunit" at all.

It's worth the time.

At some point I will see it. It's just that being told that kinda sucks because it changes your mindset going in if that is revealed.

At some point I will see it. It's just that being told that kinda sucks because it changes your mindset going in if that is revealed.

I was wondering if that's what you were talking about.

It doesn't really change the mindset at all. The instant that entire plot thread is introduced, you know it's coming. It's not a surprise. The moment works emotionally because it's inevitable, and universal.

but yeah, it does suck when someone slips up like that. I've done it before (once, like 8 years ago, about... I think it was The Dark Knight?) and I felt like a real shithead.

vinnygambini

Even Seventh Son managed $116M. It's hard for big budget action films to make less than that worldwide.

It will do even better than Seventh Son, just you watch!

The power of the Butler is unstoppable.

Great OW for Zootopia, really looking forward to seeing it next week

Tangled, Wreck it Ralph, BH6, Frozen all are better than Inside out, and by a large margin.

Preach it Calm.

Inside Out was worse than Dreamworks' Penguins for me.

vinnygambini

Congrats. You have convinced me to try and see Inside Out this week because there is no way I believe this is even close to true.

It's on Netflix Canada for those interested.

I really couldn't stand it personally and I'm a huge fan of Pixar films, it really didn't click with me. Oh well, hope you enjoy it at least.

Durock

Just finished watching Other Side of the Door. Thought was pretty good. DefInitely better than I was expecting it to be.

ZoddGutts

While I liked Inside Out it felt a bit emotionally manipulative at times. Like someone yelling at me "feel sorry for her!" "don't you feel sorry for her!?" but I was like "eh". Good film but a bit forceful on the emotions.

Anyways Deadpool should get close to 330mil by next weekend. Passing Day of Future Past X-Men film 750mil should be a lock. Still hasn't been released in Japan where it could do decent numbers too.

GhaleonEB

Apparently
the imaginary friend is sacrificed and hits you in the feels?
It's telegraphed very far in advance, both thematically and in the plot, so it's not so much a twist as a sad development you see coming but don't want to happen. It's also probably not what you think. Definitely not something ruinous.
It's worth seeing.

Among the things I liked about Inside Out: there's no bad guy. No villain to fight. It's just about growing up.

I actually look forward more to what Disney Animation is doing these days and not Pixar.

Seems weird, but they've been the better studio for awhile now.

I'm looking forward to Coco at least. Slightly less thrilled by the rest of Pixar's release calendar until I can see more of Incredibles 2.

Dominator

Just saw London Has Fallen, about to watch Zootopia. I liked London quite a bit, maybe not as much as Olympus I have to watch that again, but it thought it was good. Don't know what's up with the reviews for that.

The people have spoken, and the only Gerard Butler they want is the kind that stars in xenophobic action films where he spouts one-liners while savagely murdering brown people.

I hope this is the lesson the industry takes from this whole thing. The world needs less would be CGI filled franchise starters and generic romantic comedies, and more savage, jingoistic and xenophobic action movies. Butler has finally found his niche; stabbing evil foreigners in the head while wrapped in red, white and blue. He is the action hero the Trump era needs.

ohlawd

ah so that's the name of the movie with the sloths? the trailer was fun when it went played at the theater. mhm I gotta catch that

Pachimari

Big Hero 6 being better than Inside Out is the biggest laugh I have had in a while, but opinions are opinions and they're allowed.

If Deadpool reaches $700 million or even $800 million worldwide it'll be sick.

3N16MA

Banned
James-Franco-Drinking-Water-laughing-to-shock.gif

Briarios

Just got back from Zootopia with the family. Everyone loved it. My first thought at the end was I'd play the heck out of a AAA GTA-style open world game set in the city. Lego has shown it can be done.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Zootopia is an amazing movie. Everyone go see it now!

Toothless

Very happy for Zootopia. Going crazy this week before spring break, but next week, it, Cloverfield, Only Yesterday, The Witch, and a few other movies gladly await for me.

3N16MA

Banned
I like what Disney Animation is doing and I will agree that they have been closing the gap if not surpassing Pixar over the past few years with certain films. That being said this run is not touching peak Pixar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom