• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•02-04•17 - Amazon princess crowned box office Queen and saves DCEU

BumRush

Overseas will prevent the Mummy from being a crater, but we're probably looking at $75M domestic. Maybe less. Not exactly a promising franchise start when the film was at the very least a $125M production.

Yeah, not the start you want from a Cruise-led film

At least with Pacific Rim one could make the case that it developed a fan following. With The Mummy, WOM seems pretty toxic, and that's a horrible foundation to build a franchise on. Audiences may literally roll their eyes if they see Russel Crowe pop up in the marketing for, say, The Wolfman.

Universal will probably still movie forward, but I highly doubt the next few Dark Universe (I'm already tired of typing that) films are the sort of big budget monstrosity The Mummy was.

Kusagari

They're going to continue but I bet everything will depend on the next one being better received in both facets.

Do we have an indication on what they have planned for the second film?

I haven't seen anyone here with anything nice to say about The Mummy :(

Usually there seems to be at least one or two people... Still going to check it out tomorrow.

Toa TAK

Banned
I haven't seen anyone here with anything nice to say about The Mummy :(

Usually there seems to be at least one or two people... Still going to check it out tomorrow.
There's some backhanded compliments and such in the OT.

I had, at least, TWO nice things to say about it.

Speaking of Pacific Rim, watching it tonight. So much fun. Funny enough, my wife loves the film more than I do. And Idris has nothing to do with that. I think.

I absolutely need the Dark Universe to survive until their crossover, because I can't - I CAN'T - even begin to imagine what that could possibly look like.

They'll fight Santa Claus and his Martian army.

"But Nicholas desired... power. And so he made a deal with evil and became... a monster.:

They'll fight Satan and his army of demons or some shit

Isn't technically
Tom Cruise Satan now? Or at least possessed by Satan?

Like I can grasp the premise, but would the poster really be Javier Bardem, Tom Cruise, Russel Crowe, Johnny Depp, The Rock and Angelina Jolie posing in a Monster Mash ready to take on evil? What would the title be (Monster Squad)?

I just want to live in a world where I can conceivably have The Avengers, Justice League, King Kong vs. Godzilla, and Dark Universe Team-Up all at the same caliber. It's a dream I never knew I wanted.

Holy shit. WW's 2nd weekend drop is among the best holds for superhero/cbm genre.

I know someone else explained the concept of holds somewhere...can you outline that again for me?

Is a strong hold another way of saying that the follow up days didn't drop as much as anticipated? i.e. 'the film has legs'

ERotIC

Banned
I know someone else explained the concept of holds somewhere...can you outline that again for me?

Is a strong hold another way of saying that the follow up days didn't drop as much as anticipated? i.e. 'the film has legs'

Yes. These days, big tentpole summer movies drop around 55-60 percent on average in its second weekend. More if WOM is extremely bad, less if it's extremely good.

WW is looking at around a 50 percent drop this weekend, which is exceptionally good for this type of movie these days. To put into context, BvS dropped almost 70 percent in its second weekend.

Yes. These days, big tentpole summer movies drop around 55-60 percent on average in its second weekend. More if WOM is extremely bad, less if it's extremely good.

WW is looking at around a 50 percent drop this weekend, which is exceptionally good for this type of movie these days. To put into context, BvS dropped almost 70 percent in its second weekend.

Awesome, and well deserved I think.

I absolutely need the Dark Universe to survive until their crossover, because I can't - I CAN'T - even begin to imagine what that could possibly look like.

Yes, I am the exact same way. If we have to slog through a half dozen shitty Dark Universe movies so be it god dammit, I need to see what their plans for all the monsters and over-all story arc is.

25cbb6c368b8dae71511b0854dbaed97.jpg

ArmGunar

Just imagine how much would BvS (or SS) have done if it was as great as WW ?

It's killing me not to know the real potential of an awesome DC film like Batman v Superman which opened > $150M

Now watch Justice League post an absolutely monster opening off the goodwill of Wonder Woman, just to shit the bed and have an epic cratering on second weekend.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Just imagine how much would BvS (or SS) have done if it was as great as WW ?

It's killing me not to know the real potential of an awesome DC film like Batman v Superman which opened > $150M

The bright side now is that WW has helped people gain interest in the DCEU and willing to see future films and there's still some good creative peeps within this overall team (Geoff, Patty, Synders as producers) that have the right synergy now to really nail the feel of DC's legacy with a solid direction.

Amusingly I can see WB willing to take risks with the above people and their vision on what to do. It makes me excited what to see. I am even more curious what Wheedon will bring with the reshoots and Supermans persona.

DeathyBoy

Banned
It would have done Avengers numbers, no doubt.

I'm calling it, JL is beating Avengers box office.

Not by a lot, but it's topping it. And they're going to market the shit out of WW to do it. Advertising already suggests her and Bruce are the two leads as it is.

Long as they keep to Gal's strengths and have a similar heroic tint, it's gonna be huge.

I'm calling it, JL is beating Avengers box office.

Not by a lot, but it's topping it. And they're going to market the shit out of WW to do it. Advertising already suggests her and Bruce are the two leads as it is.

Long as they keep to Gal's strengths and have a similar heroic tint, it's gonna be huge.
Domestic or worldwide total?
I will take an avatar bet on the worldwide total not matching Avengers.

Top Bottom