• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•02-04•17 - Amazon princess crowned box office Queen and saves DCEU

I'm calling it, JL is beating Avengers box office.

Not by a lot, but it's topping it. And they're going to market the shit out of WW to do it. Advertising already suggests her and Bruce are the two leads as it is.

Long as they keep to Gal's strengths and have a similar heroic tint, it's gonna be huge.

Not a chance unless reviews and word-of-mouth are incredibly positive. If the public perception of Justice League is that it's BvS part 2, that's going to be a problem for DC despite Wonder Woman.

Anth0ny

I'm calling it, JL is beating Avengers box office.

Not by a lot, but it's topping it. And they're going to market the shit out of WW to do it. Advertising already suggests her and Bruce are the two leads as it is.

Long as they keep to Gal's strengths and have a similar heroic tint, it's gonna be huge.

hmmm

Director: Zack Snyder

nope that's not gonna happen. the 30% RT score will be too hard to overcome.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Not a chance unless reviews and word-of-mouth are incredibly positive. If the public perception of Justice League is that it's BvS part 2, that's going to be a problem for DC despite Wonder Woman.

Well, yeah, I'm assuming decent reviews and WOM. But I'm also assuming it's fun and has one "good God" team up moment.

If it has something as batshit awesome as the last stretch of Jurassic World that gets people talking, it'll clean up with ease and do repeat business.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
At the least the bright side with the Dark Universe, Warner Bros are going to be looking at the results there as motivation to make sure to not fuck up the film in the editing and final process. They must be putting all stops with this film to be a hit no matter what.

Would people agree that Justice League is WB most important film to be a critical hit in recent years?

DeathyBoy

Banned
At the least the bright side with the Dark Universe, Warner Bros are going to be looking at the results there as motivation to make sure to not fuck up the film in the editing and final process. They must be putting all stops with this film to be a hit no matter what.

Would people agree that Justice League is WB most important film to be a critical hit in recent years?

I think there's a case that WW was. JL can probably scrape by regardless of RT, but if WW was a terrible film it'd likely have killed the character off for a long time cinematically.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
I think there's a case that WW was. JL can probably scrape by regardless of RT, but if WW was a terrible film it'd likely have killed the character off for a long time cinematically.

That's rather true, especially the first actual female super hero that's a big hit and reaching a modern audience and getting universal appraisal. WB beat Marvel to the punch there, but I am going to be honest and say that DC has an incredible rich amount of female characters they have where Marvel is going to struggle with. I am very happy for Patty though, this is the best feel good story to see in filming over the past two years for me.

That's rather true, especially the first actual female super hero that's a big hit and reaching a modern audience and getting universal appraisal. WB beat Marvel to the punch there, but I am going to be honest and say that DC has an incredible rich amount of female characters they have where Marvel is going to struggle with. I am very happy for Patty though, this is the best feel good story to see in filming over the past two years for me.
And WB seems to understand the potential they have with their female characters based on their upcoming projects. I think I remember reading that Deborah Snyder said Whedon's Batgirl would be the next female led movie after WW.

In updated ComScore/Screen Engine PostTrak audience polls this weekend, women continue to lead the charge into Wonder Woman screenings at 55% with women over 25 numbering 32%, and women under 25 repping 23% of all moviegoers. Thirty-two percent of those under 25 are watching Wonder Woman in a group — with two to four friends.

Almost like there's an audience Hollywood has been ignoring for this type of movie.

DeathyBoy

Banned

Even the best Marvel ones are primarily team based. Like even if they had the rights to X-Men, chances of Storm, Jean or Emma solo films are unlikely. We might get an X-23 one someday. But past Widow, She-Hulk and the Marvel's, there ain't much that screams solo film.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Even the best Marvel ones are primarily team based. Like even if they had the rights to X-Men, chances of Storm, Jean or Emma solo films are unlikely. We might get an X-23 one someday. But past Widow, She-Hulk and the Marvel's, there ain't much that screams solo film.

For Solo Films/female team ups with DC I can already name over a dozen characters easily alone that would hit well. It's a shame that Marvels rich female characters, a fair majority of them come from the X-Men roster which now belongs to Fox.

Awesome news for Wonder Woman. Nice to see her in the spotlight.

Still skeptical on Justice League tho.

By the way, weren't their hints from Ayer or someone about a Gotham sirens movie?

Certainly, since I imagine the budget is quite ridiculous. But I think now with the success of Wonder Woman, the DCEU is already in the clear. They have had four successful movies in a row, including one who disappointed slightly (BvS) and another one who is probably exceeding their expectations. We have Aquaman, The Batman, Sirens, Batgirl and Wonder Woman 2 on the horizon. Even if JL doesn't do all that well, the DCEU will be fine. They'll just push back JL2, cancel Cyborg and greenlight more Batman movies.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Certainly, since I imagine the budget is quite ridiculous. But I think now with the success of Wonder Woman, the DCEU is already in the clear. They have had four successful movies in a row, including one who disappointed slightly (BvS) and another one who is probably exceeding their expectations. We have Aquaman, The Batman, Sirens, Batgirl and Wonder Woman 2 on the horizon. Even if JL doesn't do all that well, the DCEU will be fine. They'll just push back JL2, cancel Cyborg and greenlight more Batman movies.

I am sure with the budget WB is willing to spend as much to try and have it so it does well at the box office and is well reviewed, even if it could mean less profits from a huge production cost. If they succeed there then they have the DCEU in a good position for future films and reap in the profits that way (Merchandise, further films and characters, etc). That's the way I am looking at things here.

Wonder Woman shows that the DCEU can be something great and worth investing with the right people steering this. I do want the Synders to stay as producers.

DeathyBoy

Banned
For Solo Films/female team ups with DC I can already name over a dozen characters easily alone that would hit well. It's a shame that Marvels rich female characters, a fair majority of them come from the X-Men roster which now belongs to Fox.

DC is absurd.

Even after WW and BOP and Batgirl and Sirens, you've got Hawkgirl, Supergirl, Power Girl, Huntress, Worlds Finest with PG/Huntress, Batwoman...

I mean then you fall onto Black Canary and Katana level who you'd have to put effort into really launching, but even then you're talking distinctive in terms of power sets and villain bases.

DC really did win out by all being under the same umbrella. And having a history of their timeline being altered when sales dropped.

On an unrelated note: I suddenly remembered to check something, and it turns out Fifty Shades Darker made 379m versus 571m on the first one, with 55m and 40m respective budgets. So 571 on 40 and 379 on 55, chronologically.

The RT versus audience response is interesting though:
RT- audience- imdb
Fifty Shades: 25% - 41% - 4,1
FS Darker: 9% - 51% - 4,6

The first one being directed by Sam Taylor-Johnson and the second by James Foley, the director of Glengarry Glenn Ross. He's also up for the third movie, slated for next year, apparently. Already in post too, according to imdb.

I know this is like suddenly bringing up Twilight.. because that's exactly what it is, but I was actually interested in the response versus BO.

Then again, that King Arthur bomb has an RT of 28% and yet an audience rating of the 75%, despite several people here on gaf and elsewhere called it, and I quote, "unwatchable".

So on the bright side of things, at least critics are still more important than the fans, so "made it for the fans, not critics" can shove it. Maybe audiences are easier to impress with style?

witness

Holy shit! This is amazing and so well deserved. We went again yesterday afternoon and it was sold out like the first weekend, lots of children and little girls, excited audience, theater was jumping, and we liked it even more the second time. This all makes me so happy. Now, can it pass SS and/or BvS domestically with a drop like this? I would think it can and should.

Dinda

Just imagine how much would BvS (or SS) have done if it was as great as WW ?

It's killing me not to know the real potential of an awesome DC film like Batman v Superman which opened > $150M

Thing is they weren't...so the real question is how much Wonder Woman would have made Opening Weekend with those great Reviews but without those movies making people wary of watching the next DC Movie.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Thing is they weren't...so the real question is how much Wonder Woman would have made Opening Weekend with those great Reviews but without those movies making people wary of watching the next DC Movie.

They weren't wary though.

Suicide Squad would've died a death if they were. Audiences are just prepared to give DC more leeway than they are Marvel.

kswiston

Deadline's $60m 2nd weekend estimate is going to end up being the closest forecast after all.

It is going to get a lot closer than expected. WB's estimate will be $56M and change. Maybe $57M if the Sat is slightly over $23.8M.

Best second weekend drop for a superhero film since Spider-man I believe. At least out of the larger Friday openers. A distant second though. Spider-man was crazy.

gamz

It is going to get a lot closer than expected. WB's estimate will be $56M and change. Maybe $57M if the Sat is slightly over $23.8M.

Best second weekend drop for a superhero film since Spider-man I believe. At least out of the larger Friday openers. A distant second though. Spider-man was crazy.

So hitting 300M dom is a given?

Damn Wonder Woman is slaying. Fantastic news. 2017 doing a repeat of 2014 with a solid line-up of fantastic CBMs performing well from multiple studios.

And Wondy having the best legs since Spider-Man is so fitting. Both landmark films in the superhero subgenre.

Justice League is going to be the Amazing Spider-Man 2 of 2017

Damn Wonder Woman is slaying. Fantastic news. 2017 doing a repeat of 2014 with a solid line-up of fantastic CBMs performing well from multiple studios.

And Wondy having the best legs since Spider-Man is so fitting. Both landmark films in the superhero subgenre.

Justice League is going to be the Amazing Spider-Man 2 of 2017

Expect JL trailers to feature Diana front and center.

TyrantII

Batman sounds like it's in production hell between the suits and the creative guys. It be rather amusing if WWII starts shooting before Batman even gets a script.

Batman sounds like it's in production hell between the suits and the creative guys. It be rather amusing if WWII starts shooting before Batman even gets a script.

Not at all? Matt Reeves is doing it. He's just finishing up post on Apes before diving in, in full. Nothing is holding it up aside from his schedule. Where'd you get this info?

TyrantII

Not at all? Matt Reeves is doing it. He's just finishing up post on Apes before diving in, in full. Nothing is holding it up aside from his schedule. Where'd you get this info?

Guess I've been out of the loop. Last I heard scripts were being rewritten and Batfleck was stepping down from the chair (which probably was for the better in pure logistics terms).

Guess I've been out of the loop. Last I heard scripts were being rewritten and Batfleck was stepping down from the chair (which probably was for the better in pure logistics terms).

I suspect that he only agreed to direct The Batman on the terms that he was allowed to do Live By Night the way he wanted with the budget he wanted. That turning out to be a nuclear bomba probably gave him an out that he took. Was probably mentally and emotionally drained by then too.

But we're getting Reeves out of it, who I wouldn't consider a step down and is arguably even a step up.

DeathyBoy

Banned

Yeah. Much as I was for Affleck doing it, writing/directing/starring in a film that big is a lot of work. I remember Nolan advised JGL not to do all three, and that was on a much smaller film.

Plus Reeves is an awesome director.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Now watch Justice League post an absolutely monster opening off the goodwill of Wonder Woman, just to shit the bed and have an epic cratering on second weekend.
fwiw JL isnt going to be as dark and oppresive as BvS. It'll probably be much better received.

Top Bottom