• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•02-04•17 - Amazon princess crowned box office Queen and saves DCEU

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
A star is born. Can't think of a time I've been this happy for a movies success. I'm going again today and I've been telling everyone who will listen to go see it. Your welcome WB. lol

How is my favorite movie, The Mummy doing?

ss6pMzn.gif

$31 million, maybe.

kswiston

Slightly optimistic but realistic path for Wonder Woman

First weekend: $103M
First set of weekdays: $45M

Second Weekend: $57M (-45%)
Second set of weekdays: $25M (-44%)

Third Weekend: $34M (-40%)
Third set of weekdays: $14M (-44%. Lower drops during the start of the week. but Transformers 5 launches Wednesday)

Total after 3 weeks = 148 + 82 + 48 = $278M

With 45% drops in the following 3 weeks (weeks 4-6), you get another $48.5M, for $326M total. Maybe another $20M for the rest of its run.

With 50% drops in the following 3 weeks (weeks 4-6), you get another $42M, for a total of $320M. Rest of run from that would be $15-20.

Either way, I think that BvS is done unless WW gets hit harder than expected next weekend or the one after. $320M is probably the floor

Dinda

Third set of weekdays: $14M (-44%. Lower drops during the start of the week. but Transformers 5 launches Wednesday)

With 45% drops in the following 3 weeks (weeks 4-6), you get another $48.5M, for $326M total. Maybe another $20M for the rest of its run.

With 50% drops in the following 3 weeks (weeks 4-6), you get another $42M, for a total of $320M. Rest of run from that would be $15-20.

Either way, I think that BvS is done unless WW gets hit harder than expected next weekend or the one after.

Oh man it would be so great if it actually beat BvS. Let's hope your predictions stay as good as they were in the last days.

Cooter

Either way, I think that BvS is done unless WW gets hit harder than expected next weekend or the one after. $320M is probably the floor
No man's land owned!

A star is born. Can't think of a time I've been this happy for a movies success. I'm going again today and I've been telling everyone who will listen to go see it. Your welcome WB. lol

Regardless of the legitimate movie quality or even Wonder Woman as a character, that movie absolutely made the Gal & Wonder Woman combo my favorite iteration of a superhero.

I'll always love Batman and crew more, but man she was just perfect.

Cooter

Regardless of the legitimate movie quality or even Wonder Woman as a character, that movie absolutely made the Gal & Wonder Woman combo my favorite iteration of a superhero.
100% with you. Can't wait to see what Patty comes up with for the sequel with no studio interference and a more confident Gal due to the success.

kswiston

Alien: Covenant wins its struggle to drop less than 60% in a weekend, hitting a 56% drop this frame, for $1.8M. Total is now $71.2M. Only $1.1M to go to cross the 2x opening weekend mark. Officially leggier than BvS!

$75M domestic is still looking like a best case scenario. I could see Covenant getting a hard dump from theatres next weekend. It is still hogging screens in 1800 venues.

kswiston

Pirates 5 crossed $600M this weekend. $10M domestic and $34M overseas in weekend #3.

Japan will help it cross $700M, but I think $800M is dead.

kswiston

Weekend Studio Estimates:

1) Wonder Woman - $57.2M (-45%) - $205M total
2) The Mummy - $32.2M
3) Captain Underpants - $12.3M (-48%) - $45M total
4) Pirates of the Caribbean 5 - $10.7M (-52%) - $136M total
5) Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - $6.2M (-37%) - $366M total
6) It Comes at Night - $6.0M
7) Baywatch - $4.6M (-48%) - $51M total
8) Megan Leavey - $3.7M
9) Alien Covenant - $1.8M (-56%) - $71M total
10) Everything, Everything - $1.6M (-51%) - $32M total

I wonder if It Comes at Night will miss a 2.0 multiplier. I thought it was great, but my audience last night was not having the ending. An old lady sitting next to me actually turned to me and said "that was bullshit!" in response.

Experien

I wonder if It Comes at Night will miss a 2.0 multiplier. I thought it was great, but my audience last night was not having the ending. An old lady sitting next to me actually turned to me and said "that was bullshit!" in response.

I have yet to hear a positive thing about that movie. From the bait and switch marketing/title, to just not enjoying it. I was planning on seeing it but will pass.

kswiston

The weekend internal multiplier is pretty terrible. Friday was 42% of the entire weekend. Given the genre and distributor, a sub 2x multi wouldn't be surprising.

Penguin

Weekend Studio Estimates:

1) Wonder Woman - $57.2M (-45%) - $205M total
2) The Mummy - $32M
3) Captain Underpants - $12.3M (-48%) - $45M total
4) Pirates of the Caribbean 5 - $10.7M (-52%) - $136M total
5) Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - $6.2M (-37%) - $366M
6) It Comes at Night - $6.0M
Solid hold for Captain Underpants

kswiston

Wonder Woman is at $435M worldwide now. That means that domestic and overseas earnings have been more or less equal since last weekend. The final domestic/OS split is going to be pretty close to 50/50.

I updated my weekend estimates post to include the full top 10.

Baywatch is having decent holds.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Wonder Woman is at $435M worldwide now. That means that domestic and overseas earnings have been more or less equal since last weekend. The final domestic/OS split is going to be pretty close to 50/50.

I updated my weekend estimates post to include the full top 10.

Baywatch is having decent holds.

Yup, Wonder Woman is going to reach the 700 mark if everything still goes good. Happy days!

kswiston

The Mummy opened to $174M worldwide. $52M in China.

Yup, Wonder Woman is going to reach the 700 mark if everything still goes good. Happy days!

$700M might be a bit of a stretch. This weekend was down 54% overseas (largely due to China). Transformers and Despicable Me 3 might be losing steam domestically, but they are going to be huge overseas. I expect domestic legs to be much better than worldwide legs for Wonder Woman.

$700M might be a bit of a stretch. This weekend was down 54% overseas (largely due to China). Transformers and Despicable Me 3 might be losing steam domestically, but they are going to be huge overseas. I expect domestic legs to be much better than worldwide legs for Wonder Woman.

Wouldn't the fact that there are still a few countries were the movie will be released in the next 2 weeks help?

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member

I think this film will be the best example of showing how much Word of mouth/RT critical reception can do for a films longevity. It will be in the 600+ range, no doubt. I want to see it do over 700 so WB can review the importance of expanding its roster of legacy heroes outside the usual lot and take further gambles.

I want my Boster Gold/Ted Kord film
I need my John Constantine and the beautiful Zatanna on screen, and bringing the world of the glorious Swamp Thing.

Man I felt optimistic with my 52 prediction for the weekend and it managed 57. Crazy. If this really passes BvS domestic that's insane. No one would have imagined such a thing being possible few years ago. A stand alone Wonder Woman beating the first on screen combo of Bats and Supes

Top Bottom