• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•07-09•17 - Minions cede dominion over box office, Homecoming KING

John Wick 2 made $28M in the week following its second weekend. Baby Driver made $27.5M. John Wick 2 was a bit more than $1M ahead of Baby Driver after its second weekend.

John Wick 2 finished at $92M.

It is possible that Baby Driver has better legs in its later run. John Wick's weekly drops weren't amazing. It only had one week that was down less than 45% in its first two months.

EDIT: Also, my somewhat local drive-in theatre has Baby Driver as the second feature to Spider-Man starting this Thursday. If that was the case elsewhere, Spider-man could actually be helping Baby Driver some.

Man, still - considering I was thinking $60 mil was best case scenario, I'm pretty happy dude finally got his.

I wholeheartedly love Mulan. Including the music and mushu. But yeah. They should scrap that for the movie for sure and just focus more pointedly on the story and drama.

And hopefully some kick ass action.
Yeah, I'm with you, I love Mulan too. I think they should avoid the formula of a (more or less) straight up live action remake of the animated films and just do their own thing.

kswiston

So Rough Night fell 78.6% this weekend. I guess my estimated $25M total from last weekend was too optimistic. It will have a hard time hitting higher than $23M.

Man, still - considering I was thinking $60 mil was best case scenario, I'm pretty happy dude finally got his.

If Baby Driver hits $95M, it will have over half of the domestic take of Edgar Wright's full filmography.

Slayven

So Rough Night fell 78.6% this weekend. I guess my estimated $25M total from last weekend was too optimistic. It will have a hard time hitting higher than $23M.

If Baby Driver hits $95M, it will have over half of the domestic take of Edgar Wright's full filmography.

Did they have 78% to lose?

3N16MA

Banned
My heart wants Apes to open big and surpass the previous film but my head tells me it might not.

Show times seem limited around here as it has to share premium screens with Homecoming or simply does not get them at all. It also seems to be lacking 2D showings.

I'm still recovering from Vegas, so I'll get the contest results done tomorrow. I *think* we avoided the nightmare scenario of a 5 way tie with the $120M predictions.

War of the Apes has a pretty amazing short ad that runs before videos. It was pretty awesome and sold the movie for me. I have enjoyed the last 2 films so it is not like I was hesistant to see it.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Remind me not to start review threads in the future

Didn't even know I could have an agenda for Valerian

Why do you (and the movie critic elites) want to destroy European sci-fi?!

kswiston

2.5 months ago, I ran a summer prediction thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1362503

My ranking order was completely wrong, but this weekend will largely determine if I have a shot of at least naming the top 5 domestic films for the summer. I picked GotG2, Spider-Man, Despicable Me 3, Wonder Woman, and War for the Planet of the Apes.

The three comic flicks have their place locked up. Despicable Me 3 should finish around $220M, which should be good for a top 5 finish, but isn't quite a lock yet. Apes will need to clear Pirates 5 (~$170M), and avoid having Dunkirk leg past it later this summer. I really don't see any of the other releases later this summer breaking $150M domestic.

Wonder Woman and Transformers already teamed up to sink my Worldwide top 5. I will probably get 4 out of the 5 on that list.

EDIT: TDLink is the only person who picked GotG2, Spider-Man Homecoming, DM3, Wonder Woman, and Pirates 5 as their top 5 worldwide. So he will likely win that half of the predictions (ignoring ranking of course).

kswiston

We just got it out of the way early with Beauty and the Beast and F8 of the Furious.

We'll get 1-2 in the fall as well, so this year isn't nearly as bad overall as 2014. Especially since 2014 overseas grosses had about a 20% bump over current films thanks to favorable exchange rates.

kswiston

$12.3M for Spider-Man Homecoming on Monday

EDIT: For now, I am going to guess $210-215M domestic for Spider-Man by next Sunday.

kswiston

That would already be higher than Amazing Spider-Man-Man 2's domestic total.

I think that it would be pretty hard for Homecoming to miss ASM2's total this weekend.

Being pessimistic:

Mon: $12.3M
Tues: $13.5M (+10%)
Wed: $9.4M (-30%)
Thurs: $8.5 (-10%)

Fri: $12.8M (+50%)
Sat: $16.6M (+30%)
Sun: $12.5M (-25%)

Second weekend = $41.9M (-64%)
10-day total = $202.6M

That's about $250k under Amazing Spider-Man 2's domestic total, and I gave SM:H a Man of Steel second weekend drop in that pessimistic scenario.

I believed the same thing, but I was expecting a BvS light, not a competent movie.

Also a lack of everybody suddenly realizing that liking nonsense has consequences. Thanks Trump?

I was more bullish on WW actually being a good movie, but I didn't think it would do as well as it has. I expected more of a Batman Begins kind of result-- solid, but dampened by history.

WW surprised everybody in that thread, it appears.

This quote is amusing in retrospect:

I expected WW to land somewhere between Ant-Man and Doctor Strange, about average for where superhero origins land. That it topped Deadpool and most superhero sequels is way beyond those expectations.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

Italian Lira

mjcry1.png

kswiston

Monday Numbers:

1) Spider-Man Homecoming - $12.3M - $129M total
2) Despicable Me 3 - $4.4M - $153M total
3) Baby Driver - $1.7M - $59M total
4) Wonder Woman - $1.2M - $370M total

Top Bottom