• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•07-09•17 - Minions cede dominion over box office, Homecoming KING

kswiston

I don't think that happened in that movie.

Wasn't that in Jurassic Park 3? The kid talks about it.

Oh you bet your ass it did.

Just that the scene was deleted. But someone wrote this. And was paid for it. And numerous people were paid to film it. And instruction was given to an actress as to how to do it.

And nobody stopped these people.

And there's that I guess! Deleted scenes don't count :p

Oh you bet your ass it did.

Just that the scene was deleted. But someone wrote this. And was paid for it. And numerous people were paid to film it. And instruction was given to an actress as to how to do it.

And nobody stopped these people.

"Because in Hollywood you just kinda fail upward"

At least they deleted it, but fucking hell that was a two-minute way to show everything that was wrong about that movie. And to boot it looks like a tiny ass soundstage.

Just got back from Spidey and it was damn good. My theatre seemed to really enjoy it as well though there weren't many people there.

It will be interesting to watch what word of mouth / legs will be like on it

kswiston

I'm not sure if I have shared these in the past, but MPAA has been including ethnicity breakdowns for the audiences of the biggest films of the year, each year since 2013.

QS7pXfz.png

mqgAUlR.png

c7Qmm40.png

Ptgtj6m.png

Yeah, first thing that pops out at me is Transformers having the largest non-white percentage, and not Furious 7, which is widely hailed for its diversity. Highest percentages are Catching Fire, The Lego Movie, and both Star Wars movies (also noted for being fairly diverse, though I imagine part of that is the perceived, if not actual, whiteness of the hardcore Star Wars fanbase in general).

kswiston

Older MPAA annual market reports actually did have some general data on movie watching by state (provided that you were in the big states that actually mattered)

Here are some stats from 2013.

A14Kccs.png

Moviegoers are defined as anyone who made at least 1 trip to the theatre in that year.

3D moviegoers are defined as anyone who saw at least 1 3D film in theatres that year.

Frequent moviegoers are defined as anyone who averaged a trip every month (so 12+ visits a year)

EDIT: I should probably also post this for context to the numbers above:

J04FPQg.png

California has by far the largest State Box Office

3N16MA

Banned
Older MPAA annual market reports actually did have some general data on movie watching by state (provided that you were in the big states that actually mattered)

Here are some stats from 2013.

A14Kccs.png

Moviegoers are defined as anyone who made at least 1 trip to the theatre in that year.

3D moviegoers are defined as anyone who saw at least 1 3D film in theatres that year.

Frequent moviegoers are defined as anyone who averaged a trip every month (so 12+ visits a year)

EDIT: I should probably also post this for context to the numbers above:

J04FPQg.png

California has by far the largest State Box Office

You actually found some data. You really are a BO encyclopedia.

An encyclopedia is a really big book with a vast amount of information. This is for the kids in the thread (Bronson).

If a movie featuring the three biggest superheroes of all time couldn't do it, I don't how adding Flash, Cyborg, & Aquaman will.

Justice League is an easy billion if it's good.

Seriously, Warner Bros would be making so much money if they made good movies and I finally have Wonder Woman to prove my point.

Explain why your state doesnt go to the movies.

We're all busy getting shot

There aren't really any movie theaters in downtown Philly. There's arthouse ones in Old City, a run-down Regal in South Philly, and some stuff on the outskirts, but that's it. We have Movie Taverns and some really good AMCs/Cinemarks/independent chains in the college districts/suburbs, but downtown is the key and it just ain't there.

Outside of Philly, it's just those loser Amish

FTF

So if Spidey only gets a 2.5x multiplier, my 290 domestic prediction is off by 2mil.

Question is whether 2.5 is too lowball

(probably is)

Yeah, I think it gets more of a 2.7 multi, but it's got decent competition the next few weeks so Sony/Marvel may need to push it little to get it safely over $300m.

MANUELF

Banned
If anything the graphs shows that Hispanics are bigger than ever at the boxoffice and star wars is a white only film

Jawmuncher

I'm so glad they deleted that scene from Jurassic World. One case where I can see why it was cut and can say it was for the better.

Top Bottom