• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•07-09•17 - Minions cede dominion over box office, Homecoming KING

Harold_%28film%29.jpg

Jesus, what was i doing in 2008 that i didn't know this existed

Featuring Nikki Blonsky from the movie Hairspray?
How could that have flopped?

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Spider-Man surprised me both quality-wise and performance-wise. Good job, Sony. Jumps right up to near the tops of my MCU list.
Yes, we should praise Sony for staying the fuck out of Marvel's way. If they have any functioning brain cells, the execs there would be best served not trying to fuck with this gold laying goose.

Welp, remember my Bond leak? Apparently Craig has signed on for one more and is set to start filming in that period I talked about. Probably won't be announced until we find out who signed on to make it with EON.

Buckle

Yes, we should praise Sony for staying the fuck out of Marvel's way. If they have any functioning brain cells, the execs there would be best served not trying to fuck with this gold laying goose.
God, I hope Feige can convince them to abort the Venom and Black/Silver shit.

Would prefer not to have a steaming pile of unrelated Sony garbage next to Marvel Studios' quality Spider-Man output.

kswiston

Welp, remember my Bond leak? Apparently Craig has signed on for one more and is set to start filming in that period I talked about. Probably won't be announced until we find out who signed on to make it with EON.

I wonder who they will get to direct. I have to imagine that Sam Mendes is done.

Did Sony have no creative input? Because that was fresher than the last many Marvel Studios movies.

CREMSteve

Just got back from Homecoming, fantastic flick, loved it! Been a loooong time coming waiting for another good Spidey flick!

kswiston

Boxoffice.com dropped their Dunkirk opening weekend prediction to $50M. They also dropped Valerian to $18.5M OW. They currently have Girl's Trip beating Valerian that weekend with $19m opening weekend.

Boxoffice.com dropped their Dunkirk opening weekend prediction to $50M. They also dropped Valerian to $18.5M OW. They currently have Girl's Trip beating Valerian that weekend with $19m opening weekend.

Girls Trip almost toping Rough Night's domestic haul in its opening weekend.

I wonder who they will get to direct. I have to imagine that Sam Mendes is done.
What I'm hearing from the agents is that if everything goes well the big press conference will be in August. There have been early talks with a "previous #1 Bond singer" to come back for the opening(probably Adele again?) and that the codename for the movie when talking is "The Rhythm Machine".

Boke1879

A question. When I went to go see Spider-man there was a Valerian trailer ahead of it. When it played it has some weird ass green filter applied to it. Like that footage has been corrupted or something. Did anybody experience that? It was probably just my theater.

I don't.

Refresh us!
Filming to start in October to February, EON has been talking with multiple swedish(and some other scandinavian)agents about minor roles like henchmen etc+they wanted suggestions for the main actress from them as well and all to be free to start in October.

Boke1879

As someone who wants good Spider-Man films with those characters in them instead of disconnected trash in Sony's desperate bid for cinematic universe money, I care quite abit.

But again. If it's bad. Just don't watch it. It won't impact you in any way. If it's good. Go see it.

kswiston

Filming to start in October to February, EON has been talking with multiple swedish(and some other scandinavian)agents about minor roles like henchmen etc+they wanted suggestions for the main actress from them as well and all to be free to start in October.

I wonder if they want the film out for Fall 2018. I think that Skyfall started filming about a year before its release. No doubt they will also make a big deal out of this next film being Bond 25.

As someone who wants good Spider-Man films with those characters in them instead of disconnected trash in Sony's desperate bid for cinematic universe money, I care quite abit.

Real talk: If Marvel were interested in using the proposed characters, then they would have asked Sony not to use them, and honestly Sony probably would have obliged. It's like Marvel TV, in that they get to use the characters that Feige has already decided he doesn't want/need to use in the MCU.

I wonder if they want the film out for Fall 2018. No doubt they will also make a big deal out of this next film being Bond 25.
Done in February/early March, add on reshoots, post-production and a big media tour and Fall 2018 makes much sense. What would it face off with next year if so?

kswiston

Done in February/early March, add on reshoots, post-production and a big media tour and Fall 2018 makes much sense. What would it face off with next year if so?

Late October
• The Girl in the Spider's Web (Sony) - 10/19
• Jungle Book: Origins (WB) - 10/19
• Overlord (Par.) - 10/26

November
• Dark Phoenix (Fox) - 11/2
• Mulan (Live Action) (BV) - 11/2
• Untitled Paramount Event Film (Par.) - 11/2
• Bad Boys for Life (Sony) - 11/9
• Dr. Seuss' The Grinch (2017) (Uni.) - 11/9
• Untitled Fantastic Beasts Sequel (WB) - 11/16
• Widows (Fox) - 11/16
• Ralph Breaks the Internet: Wreck-It Ralph 2 (BV) - 11/21
• Untitled Robert Zemeckis Project (Uni.) - 11/21

December
• Animated Spider-Man (Sony) - 12/14
• Mortal Engines (Uni.) - 12/14
• Aquaman (WB) - 12/21
• Untitled Fox / Lightstorm Film (Fox) - 12/21
• Bohemian Rhapsody (Fox) - 12/25
• Mary Poppins Returns (BV) - 12/25
• Untitled WB Event Film #2 (2018) (WB) - 12/25

We're far enough away that some of those can shift. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if Han Solo moves into December either given the issues they are having in production.

Mumei

I hope Homecoming has good legs domestically. It's the best version of Spider-Man I've seen since Spectacular's.

kswiston

Is this DCEU related?

Not with Aquaman 4 days before. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the placeholders amount to nothing. WB and Disney went crazy snapping up dates several years ahead, and then everyone else started following suit.

I hope Homecoming has good legs domestically. It's the best version of Spider-Man I've seen since Spectacular's.

I should be going to see Homecoming this Thursday. The opening weekend was large enough that $300M domestic could happen without invoking extraordinary superhero film legs.

Late October
• The Girl in the Spider's Web (Sony) - 10/19
• Jungle Book: Origins (WB) - 10/19
• Overlord (Par.) - 10/26

November
• Dark Phoenix (Fox) - 11/2
• Mulan (Live Action) (BV) - 11/2
• Untitled Paramount Event Film (Par.) - 11/2
• Bad Boys for Life (Sony) - 11/9
• Dr. Seuss' The Grinch (2017) (Uni.) - 11/9
• Untitled Fantastic Beasts Sequel (WB) - 11/16
• Widows (Fox) - 11/16
• Ralph Breaks the Internet: Wreck-It Ralph 2 (BV) - 11/21
• Untitled Robert Zemeckis Project (Uni.) - 11/21

December
• Animated Spider-Man (Sony) - 12/14
• Mortal Engines (Uni.) - 12/14
• Aquaman (WB) - 12/21
• Untitled Fox / Lightstorm Film (Fox) - 12/21
• Bohemian Rhapsody (Fox) - 12/25
• Mary Poppins Returns (BV) - 12/25
• Untitled WB Event Film #2 (2018) (WB) - 12/25

We're far enough away that some of those can shift. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if Han Solo moves into December either given the issues they are having in production.
Hmm, Bond has been a November franchise for a decade but I think it should try October or very early December this time. Mulan, Fantastic Beasts 2 and WIR2 makes the month a bit too crowded.

Edit: You know what, with how late Disney movies come out in Europe maybe they could take that date in November?

Prompto

Banned
Dark Phoenix is coming out the same day as the live action Mulan movie? It's going to do even worse than Apocalypse if that's the case.

Top Bottom