• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•07-09•17 - Minions cede dominion over box office, Homecoming KING

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
that bubble sure is taking its sweet time to burst you guys

Is Baby Driver a musical?

That honestly has me less excited for the movie than I was. I absolutely love the trailers and they make no hint whatsoever that it's a musical. :/
It's an action movie that cares about its choreography so much, it feels like a musical due to the way it's edited with the music in mind. Think like music videos. It doesn't have singing numbers or lyrics, more that Baby's life has a soundtrack that he likes to sometimes dance to. You have to see it to understand that it's not like anything you've ever seen.

samar11

Well foreign currency exchange is less than what it was a few years ago, which will effect it. Foreign audiences might not care that much for Spider-Man/won't recognize if it's quality or not. Iron Man 3 was only a year post-Avengers so people were still hyped for it. Civil-War was basically and Avengers-lite movie. Basically there are numerous reasons to doubt why Iron-Man being included could have an effect at all. As of right now, it's still only a little bit above Guardians 2 opening weekend, and its total gross so far is at 857 mil. Marvel movies as of lately have been very front-loaded, which means there could be some drop-offs in the coming weeks. We won't be able to predict accurately until next week.

I said somewhat realistic ¯_(ツ)_/¯

This movie could have long legs due to word of mouth.

Pachimari

How do I take inflation into account? Like, how would I know that Spider-Man's $114 would be $174 in today's market? Where do I go to check stuff like that?

How do I take inflation into account? Like, how would I know that Spider-Man's $114 would be $174 in today's market? Where do I go to check stuff like that?

Box Office Mojo has various adjusted charts, such as this one, and you can find similar charts elsewhere, and most pages on BOM have a drop-down that lets you adjust the values to a specific year. Alternatively, you could look up historical ticket prices and/or tickets sold and do the math yourself, or use general currency inflation calculators online (just search inflation calculator) and just enter in the values.

Be warned though, as it's an extremely imprecise "science" (especially as many older films have misleading grosses due numerous theatrical runs being grouped together, resulting in much of the top grossing adjusted films being kind of bullshit).

Busty

Banned
Filming to start in October to February, EON has been talking with multiple swedish(and some other scandinavian)agents about minor roles like henchmen etc+they wanted suggestions for the main actress from them as well and all to be free to start in October.

Interesting. If this is indeed the case I have to believe that MGM have already cut a deal with a studio to distribute this.

Word was months ago that this distribution deal was Warners to lose. But it would be interesting if MGM and Sony could put aside their differences for one last Daniel Craig film. I could see SPE bending over backwards to make a deal for this, the sort of deal no other studio in a half decent position would ever make.

Done in February/early March, add on reshoots, post-production and a big media tour and Fall 2018 makes much sense. What would it face off with next year if so?

Like Skyfall it could release at the end of the October where it's only competition would be that WW2-zombie thriller from Bad Robot/Paramount.

Will we see the first half billion dollar movie in our life times? I am sure it has already happened, but I mean one they will admit

Of course. I bet Avatar was close to that.

Avatar remains the most expensive film ever made by quiet some margin.

Avatar remains the most expensive film ever made by quiet some margin.

Not even close.

pai08uB.png

lol wtf On Stranger Tides, 400 million dollar movie and it looked like shit + had a lot of unknowns starring in it. I blame Depp

Carter deserved its' fate though it does suck that it didn't raise the profile of the main people in it

Did you seriously just use Wikipedia to back up your point?

I didn't even know where to being with that.

Breh, it's 2017, and this isn't s high school term paper, so we can stop trying to act like Wikipedia isn't trustworthy, especially when everything is cited.

Busty

Banned
Breh, it's 2017, and this isn't s high school term paper, so we can stop trying to act like Wikipedia isn't trustworthy, especially when everything is cited.

So since this isn't a high school term paper does that mean you're happy using this inaccurate info?

Cvie

i thought i remember Superman Returns was well over 250mil budget but that might include the failed startups with Burton et al.

Nev

Banned
Wonder Woman could hit $400M dom. That's damn good.

It surpassed Deadpool dom. The slayage is real.

We can only imagine if it was as succesful internationally as BvS but the brand name isn't (wasn't?) nearly as popular outside of the US.

BumRush

So since this isn't a high school term paper does that mean you're happy using this inaccurate info?

Just post something that says Avatar is the most expensive film ever. Definitely curious as I always thought it was Pirates as well.

ZgRcUjx.gif

Damn right, if Gunn nails the third one, we could honestly be looking at one of the best trilogies ever. Crazy how many people are sleeping on Vol. 2.

2 was solid, but was not close to 1 for me.

Plot is weaker
character moments largely feel forced
not as amusing

I really enjoyed it at the theater, but it felt like "good sequel" not "great flick."

Rocket and the Gamora/Nebula threads really bring it down for me.

Harmen

Did you seriously just use Wikipedia to back up your point?

I didn't even know where to being with that.

Well, you can begin with giving a source for your claims. And you can also follow the sources given on the Wiki page to verify if they are indeed (in)correct/plausible.

I agree Wiki isn't a source though, but it generally serves as a good overview.

Worldwide Updates:

Spider-Man Homecoming - $257M
Wonder Woman - $746M
Pirates 5 - $734M
Transformers 5 - $495M
Despicable Me 3 - $448M
The Mummy - $385M

Pirates 5 doing much better than I would have thought - do you have any expectations for what its total haul will be?

I hope Wonder Woman earns more than BvS, although I'd guess at this point it's very unlikely.

Busty

Banned
Just post something that says Avatar is the most expensive film ever. Definitely curious as I always thought it was Pirates as well.

Well, you can begin with giving a source for your claims. And you can also follow the sources given on the Wiki page to verify if they are indeed (in)correct/plausible.

That's fair. I wrote this up a couple of years ago. There's more but this is the gist of it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=116954573&postcount=90

Fun fact, Guy Ritchie made more of Avatar than he did off his Sherlock Holmes film that opened against it because he was an investor in the film co-financing vehicle that helped fund the film with Fox.

Slayven

That's fair. I wrote this up a couple of years ago. There's more but this is the gist of it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=116954573&postcount=90

Fun fact, Guy Ritchie made more of Avatar than he did off his Sherlock Holmes film that opened against it because he was an investor in the film co-financing vehicle that helped fund the film with Fox.

What happened to Avatar Guy Ritchie that turned him into King Arthur Guy Ritchie?

Busty

Banned
...literally everything on that list has a citation.

tenor.gif

I quoted a direct link to the source. He didn't provide a single link. He didn't even provide a link to the wiki page he 'quoted'.

I mean...., it's not hard to either provide links or take a moment to understand what's happening rather than just posting tired GIFs.

You know what I mean?

EGM1966

Its budget was $217 and world wide is at $495. What's wrong with that?
Because the budget is normally just production budget.

There's still marketing (which is normally huge cost he film like this globally) and distribution fees including cinema's cut etc.

So let's at total marketing was $100 million and distribution fees another $100 million.

Now we're at $495 - $417.

Now those are made up by numbers but general wisdom says the film is on track to make a pretty low profit when true cost is deducted from gross takings.

Factor in the really worrying drop from previous films from a straight business perspective and it's obvious this is a very bad performance vs expectations.

The franchise seemed untouchable. Now it's suddenly very touchable. That's the issue.

Studios don't invest over $200 million just on production budget for that WW gross. It doesn't stack up.

That said factoring in TV rights and media sales and the film will be profitable I'm sure but not hugely profitable: and generally studios are only interest in films this expensive being hugely profitable.

I had always heard that Avatar cost somewhere closer to $500 mil to make, yeah.

And screencapping Wiki pages isn't great citation, yeah.

I mean, especially in this thread where you got K-Swiss & BGE breaking shit down to the nth compound as the bar.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
So I saw Spiderman Sat and Baby Driver Sunday. I liked both but my buddy and I both enjoyed Baby Driver much more. Besides some stupidly unbelievable plot turns It was fantastic.

3N16MA

Banned
Homecoming came close enough to my 110M OW prediction. We will see how strong its legs are.

What happened to Avatar Guy Ritchie that turned him into King Arthur Guy Ritchie?

Disney gave him Aladdin. He gets to go back to BO hit Guy Ritchie.

Top Bottom