• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 0708-1016 - Pets shit on Efron & Kendrick, Dory roars past Lion King

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I would absolutely love more Mad Max, the bar was set exceptionally high, perhaps unrealistically high with Fury Road.

And as much as I loved Edge of Tomorrow, I don't know how well a sequel would work. It seemed pretty one and done.

Eh doesn't matter. More action movies from miller would be a godsend. Even a decline on the level of beyond Thunderdome would be welcome right now and be best blockbuster of the year easy.

I felt like Anna Kendrick was going to make shit happen after Up And Away and 50/50, but now it just seems like she gets really predictable roles in shit like Mike & Dave. Even Pitch Perfect (which I'm a fan of) is hardly a challenge.

Semi positive for BFG, it played stronger than expected on the weekdays... While underperforming it's hanging on. International take for the movie will be interesting...

With the right marketing I expect it will do very well in the UK - the book is well loved here. But I doubt that'll be enough to help out the huge shortfall. A big surprise that it isn't doing better.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I thought that first trailer for Pets looked okay, but the second one was pretty fucking terrible. Really surprised by it managing to rake in that much.

I felt like Anna Kendrick was going to make shit happen after Up And Away and 50/50, but now it just seems like she gets really predictable roles in shit like Mike & Dave. Even Pitch Perfect (which I'm a fan of) is hardly a challenge.

Keeps her asking price low for eventually getting cast as Squirrel Girl! Her or Alison Brie.

Sulik2

I finally got around to seeing ID4 and The Shallows yesterday. I wish I could get my money back for ID4, holy crap that movie was baaaaad. It deserved to bomb harder then it did. 20 years to make a sequel and that is the best they could do? Nothing could have saved that turd. I can unironically say I enjoyed Gods of Egypt more then ID4: R.

Everyone should go see The Shallows. Its a great little thriller that deserves to keep making money.

BumRush

I finally got around to seeing ID4 and The Shallows yesterday. I wish I could get my money back for ID4, holy crap that movie was baaaaad. It deserved to bomb harder then it did. 20 years to make a sequel and that is the best they could do? Nothing could have saved that turd. I can unironically say I enjoyed Gods of Egypt more then ID4: R.

Everyone should go see The Shallows. Its a great little thriller that deserves to keep making money.

My God...that bad?

Sulik2

My God...that bad?

Gerard Butler was comedy gold in Gods of Egypt. He was entertaining every time he was on screen. The same cannot be said for just about anything in ID4:R. I actually think Gods of Egypt may have had better action scenes then ID4: R. Which is just... The only entertaining part of ID4: R was the first ten minutes seeing all the production design for this alternate earth time line. Even Jeff Goldblum was wasted.

Slayven

Holy fuck, did Pets really make back its costs in one weekend?

Did anybody expect that, like, at all?

Why not Illumination prides itself on being cheap

Wasn't their total marketing spend on Minions somewhere north of $300 million? I doubt this film is already profitable.
No way they spent that much on Pets. Minions were fucking everywhere, you could not turn a station without seeing them

The Beard

Which one did you watch first?

I have zero interest in ID4 despite being a big Jeff Goldblum fan. Predictable as fuck "world destruction disaster flicks" bore me to tears.

Bizazedo

I liked it actually, I thought it was hilarious. I was laughing the entire time.

Agreed. I was surprised, but I thought it was really funny. I was a bit sad it isn't doing well, but the trailers didn't look great, so not too surprised....although it made me amused when stuff in the trailer was not in the movie.

SLOP is gonna drop 60% next week. Kristen Wiig will not be denied!

If anyone is not getting denied it's McCarthy, not Wiig. She is the Queen of the Multiplier. $50 million op plus her normal multiplier is a solid success for GB.

What's the barometer of success for GB? I'm talking in terms of opening weekend/domestic total/WW total.

I'm thinking 60M/150M/350M.

My guess for "success" is bumping worldwide up to $400 million. As I've said elsewhere, that's a hard road for a comedy.

My best guess is 50M/200M/400M.

When I went with my sister to see BFG on Saturday, the theater entrance was packed with parents taking their kids to the movies. Most of them seemed to be there for the Pets movie. Practically sold out the morning showing.

Have watched BFG, I am sad it is doing as poorly as it is. It is a pretty good movie.

Sulik2

Which one did you watch first?

I have zero interest in ID4 despite being a big Jeff Goldblum fan. Predictable as fuck "world destruction disaster flicks" bore me to tears.

ID4, ran late getting to the shallows and figured why not see ID4. Big mistake there.

GhaleonEB

$11.7M monday for Secret Life of Pets

As a quick comparison, the weekend was 77% of Finding Dory's opening, but that Monday take is 60% of Dory's first Monday. Dory's legs (so to speak) already show. I wonder how many weekends until Pets drops below Dory. Three?

kswiston

As a quick comparison, the weekend was 77% of Finding Dory's opening, but that Monday take is 60% of Dory's first Monday. Dory's legs (so to speak) already show. I wonder how many weekends until Pets drops below Dory. Three?

Minions is probably a better point of comparison, since Dory will end up near or over $500M domestic. First Monday for Minions was just under $13M.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
CnBoAv3VMAAkqpa.jpg

Is that a joke? "Here's what * do when we're not around." is an animation cliche.

GhaleonEB

Minions is probably a better point of comparison, since Dory will end up near or over $500M domestic. First Monday for Minions was just under $13M.

I was just using it as a recent touch point, in part as it highlights how impressive Dory's Monday and overall legs have been. At this point it's already clear the legs won't be nearly as strong.

Saw SLOP (unfortunate acronym, that) tonight. It's decent, inoffensive, eager to please and as deep as a dog bowl of water. Fun but definitely a few tiers below Dory and Zootopia, though a step up from Minions (thank goodness).

kswiston

I think I saw the Lorax and a few random minutes of Despicable Me 1. That's about the extent of my experience with Illumination. I'm thinking of seeing Pets this weekend, but my expectations going in are low.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom