• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 08•24-26•12 - melted faces still blowin' up places

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaosslug

zmT7s.jpg
7iQgg.jpg
5gz9u.jpg
gRcqv.jpg
HWSNn.jpg

rottenwatch box office:
Cfk79.gif
66% The Expendables 2
eptv7.gif
55% The Bourne Legacy
kavuF.gif
87% ParaNorman
8vteV.gif
66% The Campaign
0hJB1.gif
87% The Dark Knight Rises
-
CBq5r.gif
75% Premium Rush
-
-
aAS8X.gif
45% Hit & Run
-
aAS8X.gif
00% The Apparition

metacritic box office:

*click pic(s) for source*

'Expendables' wins soft weekend; '2016' drops to No. 7. Actioner earns $13.5 mil as conservative docu trails holdovers with $6.3 mil

Lionsgate's "The Expendables 2," with an estimated $13.5 million, won Stateside B.O. bragging rights for its second weekend, lifting the pic's domestic cume to $52.3 million.

"Expendables" beat a trio of low-profile wide releases -- as did politically polarizing docu "2016: Obama's America," though the film, at just north of $6.3 million, fell behind a crush of holdovers to land at No. 7 through Sunday. The docu, which expanded to 1,091 locations this weekend, ranked third on Friday, but struggled to maintain stamina as the weekend progressed.

Sony's bicycle thriller "Premium Rush" delivered a modest -- but expected -- $6.3 million in three day, while Open Road's R-rated comedy "Hit and Run" bowed to $4.7 million, with $5.9 million in five days.

Warner Bros., meanwhile, punted Dark Castle's "The Apparition," launching the film at just 810 locations where it collected a meager $3 million.

At the specialty B.O., IFC's "Sleepwalk With Me" broke a house record at New York's IFC Center, estimating an outstanding $65,000. Pic stands as the theater's best per-screen debut for a non-animated American feature from a first-time director (Mike Birbiglia). The film, which is based on Birbiglia's one-man comedy show, expands Friday to the top 20 U.S. markets.​

*click pic for full list/source*

Cheebo

Banned
lol I remember conservatives were predicting that dumb racist Obama movie was going to be as big as Fahrenheit 9/11

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Holy shit at Hit and Run's budget. Also I knew Premium Rush was gonna bomb hard from the very first trailer.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Dat Total Recall bomb. Maybe this will scare Sony into halting the RoboCop remake, or any other remakes they have planned.

Hit & Run only cost $2 million? Jeez! Who made it? *checks* Oh, Dax Shepard. Probably got the cast to do it as a personal favor.

Wow, what a slow week. The Total Recall remake bombed hard, The Bourne Legacy isn't doing so great either, and it's starting to look like TDKR won't make it to 450m (or at least will struggle).

Disappointing week overall.

Magilla

Banned
The Hit and Run trailer was so horrible. It was a 3 minute long prison rape joke. It was incredibly unfunny. I'm glad the movie is bombing.

Man, Expendables 2 underperforming really sucks. I really doubt there will be an Expendables 3 at this point unless the International totals are gigantic.

If they do an Expendables 3, they'd better release it in June. Get that Summer fever crowd that'll see anything in the theaters.

Montresor

The Hit and Run trailer was so horrible. It was a 3 minute long prison rape joke. It was incredibly unfunny. I'm glad the movie is bombing.

Well good thing for them that the movie's low budget has already allowed Hit and Run to be profitable.

I went to see batman again last night and I was surprised that it was a close to sell-out crowd. I was expecting to be one of the only people there.

U2NUMB

lol I remember conservatives were predicting that dumb racist Obama movie was going to be as big as Fahrenheit 9/11

It was in less than half the theaters of those above it so it is not a stretch to say if it had been in the same number as the top movies it might have taken this week.

tuffy

It was in less than half the theaters of those above it so it is not a stretch to say if it had been in the same number as the top movies it might have taken this week.
It's possible, but the per-theater average isn't likely to stay constant when doubling the theater count.

These kinds of hyper-partisan films are aimed at telling a very specific audience exactly what they want to hear, so I don't think they'll scale to any sort of wide release.

I haven't seen it yet, but I really enjoy the OG Expendables (bought it on blu-ray yesterday in fact) and was hoping this one would be good/perform well.

Carbonox

Got back from seeing The Expendables 2 earlier. I enjoyed it. Had a big grin on my face the entire time. Van Damme <3

I haven't seen it yet, but I really enjoy the OG Expendables (bought it on blu-ray yesterday in fact) and was hoping this one would be good/perform well.

Saw the Expendables 2 yesterday, as well as TDKR. I enjoyed both, though possibly more so the Expendables than TDKR. Maggie aside I felt it was a big improvement on the first one.

They spent 20 million on marketing apparently. Probably not getting that back

There have been commercials non fucking stop so I'm sure they spent a good amount. Fuck that movie. I can't stand when they just flood TV with commercials for something like that. It makes me despise the movie.

blind51de

Banned
I feel bad for JGL, he deserves to be a big draw. Hopefully Looper will fair better.

I've got a good feeling about it. It's not as though he's standing alone, with Willis on it.
No amount of patronizing can make me claim Expendables 2 was more exciting than Premium Rush. Go on, burble another quip to do with Quicksilver.

effzee

I always wanted to ask but never got around to it, but how do Sunday numbers get calculated before the day is over?

I always wanted to ask but never got around to it, but how do Sunday numbers get calculated before the day is over?

I think it's just based on historical factors, whether it's previous Sunday performances, or correlating it to a similar film in a previous year. Sundays around this time typically drop about 30%, though depending on genre it may be a harsher drop or softer and they extrapolate from that basically. The way it's performed throughout the weekend is a factor as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom