• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 08•24-26•12 - melted faces still blowin' up places

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draconian

I think it did hurt it a bit. Four years may not seem like a lot, but it's enough time for the movie landscape and tastes to change. I think that if they had really wanted to strike while the iron was hot, they would have had it out 2-3 years after TDK.

I'm not sure about this line of reasoning. The reason they waited 4 years was for Nolan to do Inception which ended up being a huge hit for them. If they tried to get it out in 2-3 years, then they probably wouldn't have gotten Nolan to write/direct it.

Tookay

I'm not sure about this line of reasoning. The reason they waited 4 years was for Nolan to do Inception which ended up being a huge hit for them. If they tried to get it out in 2-3 years, then they probably wouldn't have gotten Nolan to write/direct it.

There's a reason why film franchises are usually (especially modernly) spaced out every 2-3 years (or in Marvel's case, every summer), because that keeps them largely in the public's eye and part of the cultural conversation.

What I was trying to say is, had this been a pure money-making endeavor (a la Transformers), WB and the forces that be would have had something out within that timeframe, to ride the top of TDK's wave.

Clearly that wasn't the sole intention behind this film, which I honestly do believe was put off for creative reasons by the Nolan brothers in an effort to avoid exhausting themselves on Batman and to pursue a dream project with Inception (which was still financially successful).

The shooting ruined the BO completely. Every week since TDKR came out the BO has been horrible. What movie has overperformed or at least did pretty well that was released after the shooting?

Joni

There's a reason why film franchises are usually (especially modernly) spaced out every 2-3 years (or in Marvel's case, every summer), because that keeps them largely in the public's eye and part of the cultural conversation.
I wonder how that will affect the Avatar franchise, when Avatar 1 might be 4 to 7 year old when Avatar 2 is released.

Darn it they should have held ParaNorman for October or something rather then release it during the slow august period. It deserves better then this and I want more clay-mation movies from the studio who made it since they are masters of the art.
Don't worry, they're already working on their next project and it's still stop-motion. Gonna be a real interesting one for sure.

They're the masters of the craft as far as I'm concerned. Better than Burton even. The student surpassed the master.

Busty

Banned
Bourne Legacy is holding better than I thought but still feels like a 'one and done' rather than the start of something.

The Expendables 2 is by no means a hit but has probably done enough to at least get a smaller/cheaper third film as it's pre sold to foreign territories before a single frame is shot and I'd expect there to be enough cash at the Int box office to get another film.

- Prometheus had a big Japanese opening as well. Total is now $342M, after a $11.7M international weekend. $350M is definitely happening. The film will probably end in the $360-365M range.

Not a total disaster but still poor. A definite under performer.

I guess there's going to be a sequel.

At this rate? Absolutely not.

Bombman hasn't grossed a billion yet? What a massive failure this movie turned out to be.

Next project for Chris Nolan to be a Lifetime movie starring Lesley-Anne Down CONFIRMED.

I wonder how that will affect the Avatar franchise, when Avatar 1 might be over 7 years old when Avatar 2 is released.

Fixed.

Hyuga

Banned
422 million for TDKR, well deserved, fantastic film.

gnso7zp5.jpg

kswiston

While the shooting definitely affected TDKR's box office, I doubt the effect was as large as some people suggest. $500M might have happened thanks to a larger opening. It was never beating Avengers though.

International earnings are under a lot of the crazy high predictions as well. Without China (where TDK was never released), TDKR might have made an extra $100M over TDK internationally. With China it will be in the $625M range. That's a solid international gross, but not exactly the $800M that Box Office Mojo was predicting, or the almost $900M that the Avengers will end with. People were still arguing for $1.2B worldwide AFTER the shooting, and after the movie had been in theatres for a couple weeks. Even that will be too high by over $100M.

Premium Rush opened in 7th? Boo, you suck America. Fun movie.

Decent drop for ParaNorman, though. You've redeemed yourself, America. Yay.

Prometheus is doing very good, the budget is only 125 million, it is an R rated movie, and it'll end up at 370, maybe 400 if it does really good in China.

It is a very satisfying score, and the sequel is already en route, that + it'll probably do quite a bit of money on DVD/BR sales.

Exactly.

The movie just isnt as well made as its predecessors, and isnt as enjoyable an experience as Avengers.

Plus the first hour felt like some amateur fan film. I couldn't believe that I was watching Nolan's last batman film. But once it got into the swing of things it was aiight. Marion Cotillard's final scene was fucking terrible though.

Easily the worst of the trilogy overall but it has some high points of the trilogy too.

Anyways Expendables 2 was damn fun. Needed more Van Damme and Arnold, however. Arnold's few lines were hilarious.

Eidan

Exactly.

The movie just isnt as well made as its predecessors, and isnt as enjoyable an experience as Avengers.

Because box office tickets sold are the ultimate measurement of quality, we can safely say that TDK>TDKR>BB. And I have no problem with that.

kswiston

Ice Age 4 is the only film over $400M worldwide to make less than 20% of its total gross in US/Canada. They could completely skip the domestic release with that series and still make more than almost all animated features do worldwide. Ice Age 4's international tally alone would place it at #4 on Pixar's all-time worldwide list (behind Toy Story 3, Finding Nemo, and Up).

I wonder if Lawless' Wednesday opening will prevent it from beating the Possession this weekend. America loves their possession/exorcism movies.

dmshaposv

If you guys enjoyed TDKR, good for you.

I honestly wish I had. But its objectively inferior pacing and plotting detered me from that. If you could overlook that, good on you.

As far as I am concerned (and the general movie going audience) The avengers is better at what tdkr was trying to be (comic booky and fan servicey) and was actually enjoyable at doing so.

If you guys enjoyed TDKR, good for you.

I honestly wish I had. But its objectively inferior pacing and plotting detered me from that. If you could overlook that, good on you.

As far as I am concerned (and the general movie going audience) The avengers is better at what tdkr was trying to be (comic booky and fan servicey) and was actually enjoyable at doing so.

TDKR threw in some fan service but it was far and away from trying to be as comic book like as avengers. Anyways, it did have pacing issues in the first 2 acts but plot was far superior in practically every way. Avengers only had a plot insofar as it could feature the avengers fighting alongside each other, which is fine as it served it's purpose well. TDKR actually had a plot with a purpose beyond that. Both are great movies but I'm not sure why you're comparing them as if they tried to do the same thing.

artist

Banned
TDKR threw in some fan service but it was far and away from trying to be as comic book like as avengers. Anyways, it did have pacing issues in the first 2 acts but plot was far superior in practically every way. Avengers only had a plot insofar as it could feature the avengers fighting alongside each other, which is fine as it served it's purpose well. TDKR actually had a plot with a purpose beyond that. Both are great movies but I'm not sure why you're comparing them as if they tried to do the same thing.
Dude was hatin' on TDKR before he saw the movie, some people just have an axe to grind.

kswiston

Hmm. Amazing Spider man might just make 700 million WW.

Amazing Spider-man is already over $700M. It opened in China on Monday, which was technically yesterday and early this morning due to timezone differences.

First Day estimates for China:

Amazing Spider-man: $4.9M

The Dark Knight Rises: $4.45M

For comparison, Avengers opened to $17M in its first 2 day Chinese Weekend (it opened on a Saturday). I can't find info for how much it made on Opening day in China. Transformers 3 made $16M on its Thursday opening and $56M in its first weekend in China. Obviously neither ASM or TDKR are getting anywhere close to that.

JaggedSac

Amazing Spider-man is already over $700M. It opened in China on Monday, which was technically yesterday and early this morning due to timezone differences.

First Day estimates for China:

Amazing Spider-man: $4.9M

The Dark Knight Rises: $4.45M

For comparison, Avengers opened to $17M in its first 2 day Chinese Weekend (it opened on a Saturday). I can't find info for how much it made on Opening day in China. Transformers 3 made $16M on its Thursday opening and $56M in its first weekend in China. Obviously neither ASM or TDKR are getting anywhere close to that.

What are the estimates for the weekend for TDKR? Are there other Monday openings to compare them to?

What are the estimates for the weekend for TDKR? Are there other Monday openings to compare them to?

Monday openings for a movie like TASM and TDKR are pretty unusual, so there's not really a good comparison that we know of. Of course, pitting the films against each other can't be helping, nor is releasing Prometheus and Expendables 2 within the next couple weeks. Have to wait and see.

kswiston

bububut people told me china will be huge for batman ;(

Two movies in the same genre opening on the same day doesn't really help things. Spider-man is big in Asia, so I am not surprised that it is slightly ahead of TDKR first day.

I'm not an expert on Chinese box office runs, but I would guess that both films will end up with $60-75M. Avengers stopped at $92M. Transformers 3 made a ridiculous $177M.

Top movie of the year in China will be Titanic 3D with $155M.

Carbonox

What are the predictions for where TDKR will end up once it's run in the cinemas is over? Is it likely it will pass the 1bn mark?

kswiston

What are the predictions for where TDKR will end up once it's run in the cinemas is over? Is it likely it will pass the 1bn mark?

It will pass the $1B mark for sure. My guess is $1.05-1.075B. I don't think it will reach $1.1B. Still too early to predict exactly where it will land on the All-Time Worldwide Box Office list, but it will definitely be in the top 10. Probably somewhere between #7 and #9.

EDIT: Domestically, I still think it can pass Shrek 2 unadjusted, but $445M is about as high as it's going to get.

Also, I forgot Prometheus still had a Chinese release. I suppose there is a chance that the movie will hit $400M if legs are decent in Japan, and it does well in China.

Hollywood has only so much money for a handful of big-budget films a year and I'd rather see something more original than rehashing a property that already had a trilogy made less than 10 years ago, needlessly spread out over 3 films. Not to mention the trailer looked terribly banal.

People criticize Avatar for being "Dances with Wolves in Space" but it's one of the most original and risky blockbusters in the past decade. That's pretty depressing.

kswiston

First Day Actuals for ASM and TDKR in China:

Amazing Spider-man - $5.4M
The Dark Knight Rises - $4.6M

TDKR should be pretty close to the $1B mark after this weekend. Maybe even hitting it (that will depend on holdovers). I'd guess $990-995M though, with the $1B mark falling in the middle of next week.

Tobor

First Day Actuals for ASM and TDKR in China:

Amazing Spider-man - $5.4M
The Dark Knight Rises - $4.6M

TDKR should be pretty close to the $1B mark after this weekend. Maybe even hitting it (that will depend on holdovers). I'd guess $990-995M though, with the $1B mark falling in the middle of next week.

How do those numbers compare to The Avengers opening in China?

Hollywood has only so much money for a handful of big-budget films a year and I'd rather see something more original than rehashing a property that already had a trilogy made less than 10 years ago, needlessly spread out over 3 films. Not to mention the trailer looked terribly banal.

People criticize Avatar for being "Dances with Wolves in Space" but it's one of the most original and risky blockbusters in the past decade. That's pretty depressing.
i don't really have strong feelings about the hobbit (though 3 movies is a *bit* of a stretch), I just don't see them bombing, unless fatigue sets in after #2. There just isn't much fantasy blockbuster stuff out there, so it really doesn't have much in the way of competition.

I agree with you about Avatar, too. Selling a general audience on tall blue people occupying 90% of the story (while making *us* look like assholes) isn't easy.

Risky? Of course it was.
Original? LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom