• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 08•24-26•12 - melted faces still blowin' up places

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

How do those numbers compare to The Avengers opening in China?

Avengers opened on a Saturday which is the largest day for movies in China (same as it is in most places). TDKR and ASM opened on a Monday, so it is not an apples-apples comparison.

However, Avengers' had $17M after its first two days. TDKR will have around $9.5-10M.

Early reports suggest that ASM beat TDKR in China on Day 2 as well.

It is also worth noting that while Avengers made a lot of money in China ($92M) it was not super huge like it was in some of the Latin American countries. MIB3 made $80M, Mission Impossible 4 broke $107M, and like I said earlier, Titanic 3D made $155M back in April.

kswiston

Not sure if people care, but here are estimates for Amazing Spider-man and The Dark Knight Rises first 3 days in China:

ASM: $15.1M
TDKR: $12.9M

First full week (through this coming Sunday) in China should be $35M or so for Spider-man and a little less for TDKR. Not sure what sort of legs either film will get since the Chinese release schedule is pretty packed. Expendables 2 is out on Tuesday, and Prometheus comes out shortly after that.

Domestically, TDKR has passed Dead Man's Chest to take the #9 spot on the all-time list. It will take a couple of weekends for it to beat E.T. for #8 at $435M.

Busty

Banned
Not sure if people care, but here are estimates for Amazing Spider-man and The Dark Knight Rises first 3 days in China:

ASM: $15.1M
TDKR: $12.9M

Considering the 2D vs. 3D factor I'd say that's a pretty strong showing for TDKR considering it's the first (IIRC) Batman film released in the region.

kswiston

Apparently the Chinese wed numbers are neck and neck for TDKR and TASM, TDKR rising over the massive Spidey popularity in Asia and 3D surcharge.

*Cue Rises music*

Neither are doing that well in China though. ASM and TDKR are far from bombs, but we are probably looking at $60M or so LTD for both films. A far cry from the $100M+ gross some people were predicting here a few weeks ago. They are doing decently well for Hollywood blockbusters. Both would have done better if released with some breathing room.

The Avengers and Brave are getting massive expansions this weekend domestically. Both will be playing in 1700+ theatres this weekend, up from 123 theatres for the Avengers and about 450 theatres for Brave last weekend. Since it is also a holiday weekend, Avengers should have little trouble topping $620M now. We'll see if audiences grasp on to the expansion, but I suppose $625M is not out of the picture before the DVD release in a month. Also, $1.5B should happen this weekend for the Avengers.

Oogieloves opened in over 2000 theatres on Wednesday and grossed $100k. That works out to $47 per theatre. Looks like that film will score pretty high on the all-time worst theatre averages list this weekend.

Neither are doing that well in China though. ASM and TDKR are far from bombs, but we are probably looking at $60M or so LTD for both films. A far cry from the $100M+ gross some people were predicting here a few weeks ago. They are doing decently well for Hollywood blockbusters. Both would have done better if released with some breathing room.

I think China was always a wild card since we didn't have a TDK comparison to work with, but WB will take some money over zero. It's too bad that they had to stack the releases with not only each other, but Prometheus and Expendables 2, possibly Resident Evil too.

kswiston

Lawless made less than Expendables 2 on Thursday with around $1M in sales. Pretty poor showing for the film's second day. The film may not even break $10M over the long weekend. Unless it completely flops, The Possession should be #1 this weekend.

4-day Chinese estimates for the Amazing Spider-man and TDKR are:

TDKR: $17.9M
Amazing Spider-man: $20.2M

I'd guess that both will be in the $33-37M range after this weekend. It seems like TDKR is going to narrowly miss $1B this weekend, but should finally pass that mark some time next week.

I think China was always a wild card since we didn't have a TDK comparison to work with, but WB will take some money over zero. It's too bad that they had to stack the releases with not only each other, but Prometheus and Expendables 2, possibly Resident Evil too.

Yep. China will still help put TDKR comfortably over The Dark Knight, even if the movie isn't breaking records in that territory. Without China, TDKR would have ended with almost exactly the same gross as TDK.

Early reports seem to point to decent pre-sales for Expendables 2 in China.

That's too bad about Lawless. Even as someone who hates Shia LaBeouf, I liked the movie. Not perfect by any means, but enjoyable. Thought Hardy was great in it.

Batman WON'T make $450 million?!?! Call the presses!! Bomb of the century.

You guys are aware that much of this "DKR underperforming" comes from that The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises thread?

I mean, look at the infamous posts:

There is already a thread for this. And TDKR will crush Avengers. Domestically, worldwide and in quality.
Joss Whedon sucks.

dark knight rises will do worse than dark knight but should still beat the avengers. i think the avengers will do 600-700 mil and dark knight around 800 mil.

Avengers will be a great film and makes a ridiculous amount of money but there is no contest here. TDKR is going to be the biggest grossing film in years, possibly of all time

Ehh, I doubt TDKR will beat Avatar but it could hit at least 800 mil to 1 billion+.
It's actually pretty surprising how strong Batman's draw is.

And that isn't even the first half of the first page.
You spat in the faces of Avengers fans. Didn't you think there might be some casualties?

effzee

You guys are aware that much of this "DKR underperforming" comes from that The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises thread?

I mean, look at the infamous posts:

And that isn't even the first half of the first page.
You spat in the faces of Avengers fans. Didn't you think there might be some casualties?

Spat in their faces? WTF? Based one everything we knew TDKR was supposed to be the biggest summer movie. Avengers shocked a lot of people in quality and success. How is that spitting on anyone's face though? That is like saying people claiming The Hobbit will be the biggest release of the fall are spitting in the faces of other big movies to be released around that time.

Spat in their faces? WTF? Based one everything we knew TDKR was supposed to be the biggest summer movie. Avengers shocked a lot of people in quality and success. How is that spitting on anyone's face though? That is like saying people claiming The Hobbit will be the biggest release of the fall are spitting in the faces of other big movies to be released around that time.

One would think someone with a Batman avatar would recognize a DK quote :)
Chill out man!

Code_Link

LOLZ, I think they're quoting TDK...

kswiston

Top 5 movies for Friday:

1) Possession - $6.1M
2) Lawless - $2.7M
3) Expendables 2 - $2.1M
4) Bourne Legacy - $1.7M
5) Obama's America 2016 - $1.6M

Good Start for The Possession. It should be in the $18-20M range over the 4-day Holiday weekend. BOM has its budget at $14M, so it was a pretty cheap film.

Lawless had a huge Friday increase, but it's still in for a disappointing weekend. Maybe $10M over the 4-day.

Decent hold for Bourne Legacy. Bourne will at least crack $100M domestically, but will still end up being the lowest grossing film in the franchise.

Avengers re-expansion did $365k on Friday. Looks like people have had their fill of that movie on the big screen and are content to wait for Bluray. It should crawl to $620M over the next week, but that's about it. Still a fantastic run.

No word on TDKR yet, but I would imagine that it will have a pretty good hold this weekend. TDK was slightly down over the 4-day holiday weekend in 2008, and Inception increased (versus the previous 3-day weekend).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom