• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 08•24-26•12 - melted faces still blowin' up places

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't give a shit who is leading if the movie's premise looks terrible. Looper will fair far better no doubt, but it also has Willis.

The movie was always greeted with raucous laughter in every theater I ever saw the trailer.

Was it on the shelf for a while? It seems like I was seeing trailers a long time ago, especially since it isn't some epic blockbuster that gets a little teaser a year and a half in advance.

kswiston

any word on TDKR and Spidys china opening?

Both are Monday, Aug 27th openings. Because of the timezone difference, we should have some clue on how they are doing tomorrow.

Both had much lower ticket presales than the Avengers, but early reports say that midnight numbers were comparable (with ASM being slightly ahead). I don't think either will be massive though. Perhaps 50-75M.

I always wanted to ask but never got around to it, but how do Sunday numbers get calculated before the day is over?

They're estimates, finals will get posted tomorrow morning/afternoon. I don't know how they come up with the estimates, but they're usually pretty close.

harSon

Banned
LOOPER: The movie that asks, why not send these guys into a volcano or the bottom of the ocean?

There's not many ways you can make time traveling work within a narrative. About the best you can do is create a set of mechanics under which your movie operates, stay within the confines of those mechanics, create a solid movie within that universe and hope that your audience understands that time travel films and plot holes go hand in hand. Basically The Terminator route.

I didn't find the screenplay to be too impressive though.

kswiston

Some worldwide updates:

- TDKR is now at $941M after making $22.5M worldwide. China will easily push it past the $1B mark, but the movie might have narrowly missed that milestone without China. I'm going to guess that TDKR will finish around $1.05B. It could go a little higher than that, but I doubt it reaches Transformers 3 worldwide. TDKR should enter the Domestic top 10 tomorrow though.

- The Avengers continues to do well in Japan. Total is now $1.492B. It might clear the big $1.5B next weekend.

- Prometheus had a big Japanese opening as well. Total is now $342M, after a $11.7M international weekend. $350M is definitely happening. The film will probably end in the $360-365M range.

- Ice Age 4 is sitting at $818M, of which $665M is from international release. The movie could pass the $690M foreign gross of Ice Age 3.

- The Expendables 2 is sitting at $101M worldwide, and is apparently outperforming the first in many international markets. It should be able to hit at least $200M worldwide. Maybe $250M. Not sure if that is enough for a sequel or not.

- Bourne Legacy is at $124M, and Total Recall is at $135M worldwide.

- Brave is at $442M worldwide, and should continue Pixar's $500M+ streak. Ted is at $370M.

Alrus

- Ice Age 4 is sitting at $818M, of which $665M is from international release. The movie could pass the $690M foreign gross of Ice Age 3.

That would be quite the feat. The Ice Age franchise truly is a monster in overseas territories.

- The Expendables 2 is sitting at $101M worldwide, and is apparently outperforming the first in many international markets. It should be able to hit at least $200M worldwide. Maybe $250M. Not sure if that is enough for a sequel or not.

Well, if it's trending higher than EX1, why wouldn't there be an EX3?

kswiston

Well, if it's trending higher than EX1, why wouldn't there be an EX3?

It cost more, and will likely make less? The first Expendables made close to $275M worldwide. The sequel will be at least $25M behind domestically, and is scored a disappointing gross in the UK. Who knows though. Expendables 2 has a staggered release schedule with some big openings next weekend (Germany, Australia, Brazil), and in Sept/Oct (China, South Korea, Japan). Maybe it will pass the first movie internationally, and make up for the domestic deficit.

black_13

Banned
ah man, Premium Rush was really good and entertaining. JGL deserves better than that.

Just hope Expendables keeps going.

Hyuga

Banned
I heard Expendables 2 is tons better than EX1 is it true?
Yes, it's an awesome action flick. Much much better than the first one.

btw.
Just saw TOTAL RECALL.
To be honest..... it was great.
Special Effects + Action + Kate Beckinsale = damn nice
To bad it's bombing hard :/

Hyuga

Banned
Pretty much this. I hope it makes enough to justify a third movie with Van Damme's eviler twin brother and Steven Seagal.
Nope! Seagal will never do an Expendable movie.
But Wesley Snipes seems to be the next villain in EX3.
I hope he revives his Simon Phoenix character! :)

There's not many ways you can make time traveling work within a narrative. About the best you can do is create a set of mechanics under which your movie operates, stay within the confines of those mechanics, create a solid movie within that universe and hope that your audience understands that time travel films and plot holes go hand in hand. Basically The Terminator route.

I didn't find the screenplay to be too impressive though.

The genius of the TERMINATOR series is that it has avoided showing how they actually travel through time, only that they do.

Wow, what a slow week. The Total Recall remake bombed hard, The Bourne Legacy isn't doing so great either, and it's starting to look like TDKR won't make it to 450m (or at least will struggle).

Disappointing week overall.

TDKR really surprises me. Makes me think of that Avengers vs TDKR box office thread a while back. First page is still gold.

- The Avengers continues to do well in Japan. Total is now $1.492B. It might clear the big $1.5B next weekend.

Nuts.

I don't know why people keep saying this. The shooting changed everything about how that movie was going to perform.

People like to say that's an excuse.

I try not to quantify what kind of an effect it had, just that it did have an effect. Whether it recovered or not, I don't know. Its legs haven't been amazing, but they haven't been bad either. 2.75x multiplier from OW for a 3rd installment is pretty good, OS the film has done pretty well, but plain and simple, I think the Avengers did skew how we thought the film was going to do. Had the Avengers not come out, I'm pretty sure I'd call a 445m performance really good given what has occurred. Post-Avengers, I kept thinking, how could TDKR miss 500m as long as it didn't go SM3 levels of bad?

Just saw TOTAL RECALL.
To be honest..... it was great.
Special Effects + Action + Kate Beckinsale = damn nice
To bad it's bombing hard :/

CWuIK.gif

The Friday to Saturday drop on the opening weekend among other things is proof of this.

Eh, I believe it would have done 180m + opening weekend under normal circumstances, but the drop isn't exactly abnormal, it stayed flat from Friday minus midnights. The problem was that after midnights, Friday business for TDKR wasn't nearly as strong as it probably could have been.

And then from there, when do we say the shooting stopped having a significant effect? Days, weeks, still going?

please expendables 3, please B^) movie was sick and Van Damme was awesome

also that scene with Arnold ripping the door off still makes me laugh

The shooting is an excuse for the fans of Batman Rises, let's be honest Batman Rises was such a boring movie compared to the first two.

Tookay

It isn't an excuse, but it's not exactly quantifiable either. Other factors, including the slightly weaker-than-expected WOM, have played a part in it too.

effzee

It isn't an excuse, but it's not exactly quantifiable either. Other factors, including the slightly weaker-than-expected WOM, have played a part in it too.

Yeah plus I also wonder if waiting 4 years in between movies hurt it. As well as Batman is known and as well as TDK did, the attention span for the mass majority is very small.

At my latest viewing they showed a trailer for Red Dawn. Good god does that look awful. Was that movie made before Hemsworth established himself? Because there is no reason he should be in such a turd.

The shooting is an excuse for the fans of Batman Rises, let's be honest Batman Rises was such a boring movie compared to the first two.

Nearing 1B WW, 87% RT, and a very high score at IMDB but yeah since its not doing Avengers #s or matching TDK it must be fans making excuses when the movie? WTF? you are more than welcome to feel its boring, but a boring movie does not do so well critically and commercially.

Drakeon

Yeah plus I also wonder if waiting 4 years in between movies hurt it. As well as Batman is known and as well as TDK did, the attention span for the mass majority is very small.

At my latest viewing they showed a trailer for Red Dawn. Good god does that look awful. Was that movie made before Hemsworth established himself? Because there is no reason he should be in such a turd.

I think so, I recall hearing its been sitting on the shelf since before Thor.

Stage On

Darn it they should have held ParaNorman for October or something rather then release it during the slow august period. It deserves better then this and I want more clay-mation movies from the studio who made it since they are masters of the art.

Draconian

Darn it they should have held ParaNorman for October or something rather then release it during the slow august period. It deserves better then this and I want more clay-mation movies from the studio who made it since they are masters of the art.

I think they were trying to avoid Frankenweenie, but yeah, I thought it was weird that it came out this month.

Raxus

I am sad that drivel like 2016 can even make the list.

Premium Rush has terrible marketing but they probably dusted it off (too late) to get some of that TDKR money. When I first saw it I thought it was an extreme biking movie.

Hope Hit and Run does well. Sure the commercials are obnoxious but it does have my crush KB in it so whatever. >.> Don't look at me GAF.

I am sad that drivel like 2016 can even make the list.

Premium Rush has terrible marketing but they probably dusted it off (too late) to get some of that TDKR money. When I first saw it I thought it was an extreme biking movie.

Hope Hit and Run does well. Sure the commercials are obnoxious but it does have my crush KB in it so whatever. >.> Don't look at me GAF.
Hit and run, whatever may happen in the theatre, is pretty much guaranteed to live on forever in comedy central.

Draconian

The sad thing is that Frankenweenie will likely make more money despite also likely being a far inferior film :(

I'm just glad that this seems to be a year for creepy animated movies. I'm not sure how good Frankenweenie will be, but I'm more interested in it than I've been in any film Tim Burton's done since probably Big Fish (which I still haven't seen yet, so that's not saying much).

Tookay

I think it did hurt it a bit. Four years may not seem like a lot, but it's enough time for the movie landscape and tastes to change. I think that if they had really wanted to strike while the iron was hot, they would have had it out 2-3 years after TDK.

Going to be interesting if the new Star Trek has a similar fate. Talk about completely squandering an opportunity, after the resurgence of goodwill people had toward the franchise (though I wasn't really one of them).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom