• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office Est. 05•11-13 •12 - Depp/Burton bask in shadow of Whedon's Avengers

Status
Not open for further replies.

LosDaddie

Banned
Well deserved success for The Avengers / Whedon. I've been tempted to see it a third time, but haven't pulled the trigger just yet. Might just wait for when family comes in town to visit.

Also, glorious amounts of salt ITT. Quite lovely :)

Yup, but there are even more like Tabor and Artist who will sling shit at anyone who has a slightly negative opinion. People like them are very vocal and are fucking loons.

I haven't that in the AVengers thread.

Well deserved success for The Avengers / Whedon. I've been tempted to see it a third time, but haven't pulled the trigger just yet. Might just wait for when family comes in town to visit.

Also, glorious amounts of salt ITT. Quite lovely :)

I haven't that in the AVengers thread.

It was plain to see during the first weekend it was out in the states.

kswiston

Does anyone know exactly what properties Fox has the rights to surrounding Fantastic Four and the X-men?

Do they basically have the rights to all the ancillary FF characters and every mutant?

Superman00

Liverpool01

Have you check the boxoffice and the Avengers thread before and after the movie was release? Bunch of people down playing the movie. After the movie was release, a bunch of the poster were mad salty about it breaking all these record.

kswiston

Have you check the boxoffice and the Avengers thread before and after the movie was release? Bunch of people down playing the movie. After the movie was release, a bunch of the poster were mad salty about it breaking all these record.

My favourite is still the guy who predicted domestic total for the Avengers that was under the domestic total for the Incredible Hulk. Not often you see a total box office prediction beat in 2 days.

Avengers actuals are in:

Final wknd #s for #Avengers: $103,052,274 wknd & $373,071,647 10-day cume. Just a tiny smidge below estimates.

kswiston

Avengers actuals are in:

Final wknd #s for #Avengers: $103,052,274 wknd & $373,071,647 10-day cume. Just a tiny smidge below estimates.

I take it you post on the Boxoffice.com forums.

Anyhow, I am glad to see that the Avengers managed to keep its 103M second weekend. Looking forward to see how much it drops on its second Monday.

sharbhund

Does anyone know exactly what properties Fox has the rights to surrounding Fantastic Four and the X-men?

Do they basically have the rights to all the ancillary FF characters and every mutant?

Here's a list, but I don't think it's very accurate. For example, Galactus isn't listed under the FF rights, even though Fox used him (sort of):

http://screenrant.com/marvel-comics-movies-characters-carl-6766/

Feige has said that Marvel Studios can use the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver, but they can't mention their relation to Magneto, or that they're mutants.

Dram

Yup, they have the rights to the X-Men, Fantastic Four and Daredevil characters. As long as they make a movie every seven years they keep the rights. This includes any movies with spin off characters like Electra and what they attempted to do with Silver Surfer. One executive even said if they got desperate, they could release a straight to DVD movie and still keep the rights.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Avengers actuals are in:

XbVeY.jpg

Are you kidding? Do you know how many Batman toys sold after the Batman movies? Have you been down a toy aisle lately?

Avengers has huge merchandising.

You misread my post. I was making the same point that you are.

Not spite. Potential. Any big studio would see Marvel properties as potentially hot stuff. Giving it up would be silly if you actually think you could one day do a good job and profit from it. The problem is always with incompetence, not willful intent to make terrible films.

But seriously, what the fuck is up with Fox? Almost all of their superhero movies are shit. It looks like they are constantly trying to undercut the success of every superhero movie they put out (except maybe X2).

I take it you post on the Boxoffice.com forums.

Anyhow, I am glad to see that the Avengers managed to keep its 103M second weekend. Looking forward to see how much it drops on its second Monday.

if its tracking like spiderman it will do 30-40 million monday - thursday and then 51 million next weekend

kswiston

if its tracking like spiderman it will do 30-40 million monday - thursday and then 51 million next weekend

I think it will be on the lower end for the weekdays and maybe a bit higher on the weekend, but $455-460M is what I see the Avengers at by the end of next Sunday. Right in line with what you posted above.

Alright, I am getting dangerously close to overtaking Artist in total posts for this thread. I think that is my queue to stop wasting my day-off posting on GAF and to get some things done.

LosDaddie

Banned

Again, didn't see it. What I did see before the NA release was a lot of trolling by GAFers who expressed little interest in Avengers. In fact, they were the top posters in the Avengers threads.

Pretty much.

Again, didn't see it. What I did see before the NA release was a lot of trolling by GAFers who expressed little interest in Avengers. In fact, they were the top posters in the Avengers threads.

Pretty much.

What I sad was a lot of dismissing Avengers before the WW release, and then a lot of people quite willingly and happily saying that they were wrong and that the movie rocked.

I don't see more than a couple of trolls trying to downplay the movie, and I don't think they were among the people who were lukewarm prior to release.

I was one of the ho-hum people and I said right off that I had been wrong and was happy to have been wrong.

Probably 0%. I doubt he was in a strong enough negotiating position before the movie came out to be a profit participant. If he actually did get it in his contract, then Disney would probably do the same thing that Warner Bros did with Harry Potter, and claim it lost money.

This was done to Peter Jackson over LotR too.

And this is also how the creators of Superman were screwed out of millions in the 1940's as well.

I don't know how companies can continue to get away with this bullshit.

Mrbob

Customers don't always have a choice. Some are forced to pay the 3d tax as their local theater isn't showing it in 2d or 2d showings are so limited that trying to get tickets is pointless, so they end up paying for 3d.

I had to travel a few miles to find a 2d showing and even there the ration was 70/30 in favor of 3d. Not everyone can do the same, especially if they have kids or are in a group and just want to watch the movie.

I actually traveled 40 minutes away to see The Avengers in 2D because everywhere else in a 40 mile radius was showing it in shitacular 3D and I wanted no part of it.

sharbhund

This was done to Peter Jackson over LotR too.

And this is also how the creators of Superman were screwed out of millions in the 1940's as well.

I don't know how companies can continue to get away with this bullshit.

Corporations are protecting the rights of the most important creators of all -- job creators.

Eg3Z7.jpg

Busty

Banned
Fixed bonus, no percentage.

Why would be get any better than these terms? It was his SECOND film.

The fact Disney didn't sign him to a multi film sequel means that Whedon will get PAID to do the sequel.

Nolan was contracted by WB to do the first two Batman films but got a much improved deal to helm the third film.

sharbhund

The fact Disney didn't sign him to a multi film sequel means that Whedon will get PAID to do the sequel.

Nolan was contracted by WB to do the first two Batman films but got a much improved deal to helm the third film.

Feige has said that all Marvel directors have options for second films in their contracts, but they haven't exercised them for Leterrier, Branagh, or Johnston. I would be surprised if they don't pick up the option for Whedon.

jett

D-Member

I'm fairly certain this isn't true, for the longest time after Begins came out it was unsure if Nolan would return for the sequel.

duckroll

It's worth noting that Nolan is a producer on The Dark Knight, but not on Batman Begins. So he certainly got a better deal after Begins.

Busty

Banned
I'm fairly certain this isn't true, for the longest time after Begins came out it was unsure if Nolan would return for the sequel.

I believe you're thinking of the gap between TDK and TDKR.

Nolan was signed to do two films when he signed to direct Batman Begins. Begins and TDK.

As soon as the TDK opened (literally days after the film was released IIRC) WB set out a deal for Nolan to do a third film.

He didn't sign right away but instead did Inception (again for WB) and then, of course, directed TDKR.

duckroll

I believe you're thinking of the gap between TDK and TDKR.

Nolan was signed to do two films when he signed to direct Batman Begins. Begins and TDK.

As soon as the TDK opened (literally days after the film was released IIRC) WB set out a deal for Nolan to do a third film.

He didn't sign right away but instead did Inception (again for WB) and then, of course, directed TDKR.

You seem to be forgetting Prestige, which Nolan produced, wrote, and directed between Batman Begins and The Dark Knight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom