• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office Est. 05•11-13 •12 - Depp/Burton bask in shadow of Whedon's Avengers

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

It kinda tries to be both.

It's not continuation of 3 at all. You can think of it as a reboot or a prequel.

It doesn't try to be both though. It's really just a prequel. I'm not sure where any talk about reboot comes from. The Magneto childhood scenes are directly based on the one established in X-Men 1. The setting and history is meant to be consistent with the rest of the X-Men movies. There is no reboot at all. It's a prequel series.

@ERCboxoffice said:
Monday's top movies: 1. THE AVENGERS $8.2M ($381M), 2. DARK SHADOWS $2.3M ($32M), 3. THINK LIKE A MAN $500k ($82M)

Avengers had $18,898,999 last Monday, so that's a 56.6% drop. (TDK had a 57.1% Mon-Mon drop)

Why are you making it sound like a meagre achievement? It's third best ever.

who said its a meagre achievement. I am laying realistic numbers for people who think it will actually pass titanics number let alone Avatars, it will easily make around 150 million more domestically, but for it to get to 650 Million it would need to come close to 50 million again on memorial weekend.

It doesn't try to be both though. It's really just a prequel. I'm not sure where any talk about reboot comes from. The Magneto childhood scenes are directly based on the one established in X-Men 1. The setting and history is meant to be consistent with the rest of the X-Men movies. There is no reboot at all. It's a prequel series.

How is Emma Frost a grown woman in the 1960's world of First Class, but a teenager in the roughly 1980's universe of XMen Origins: Wolverine? How is a bald, non-crippled Patrick Stewart Xavier present at the end of Wolverine? How is Cyclops' brother about 20 years older than he is?

It's much easier to see it as a reboot.

Tobor

if it needs to get to 600 it should have tracked at 10+ million on Monday. Long term tracking is now at 560-580 Million, that is just 20-40 million above TDK

Didn't you also poo-poo the chances of a $100 mil second weekend based on last Mondays numbers?

JdFoX187

Banned
How is Emma Frost a grown woman in the 1960's world of First Class, but a teenager in the roughly 1980's universe of XMen Origins: Wolverine? How is a bald, non-crippled Patrick Stewart Xavier present at the end of Wolverine? How is Cyclops' brother about 20 years older than he is?

I don't think they see Origins as canon at all. As far as the others, I'm sure they could easily write around that. I don't think First Class is necessarily a direct prequel, but it's also not a reboot either.

Tom_Cody

if it needs to get to 600 it should have tracked at 10+ million on Monday. Long term tracking is now at 560-580 Million, that is just 20-40 million above TDK
TDK most likely 95% chance, chances of passing titanics 650 million figure? i think less than 10 %
I don't understand the methodology that only gets the Avengers to 580M.

It's debut was much bigger than TDK, its second weekend hold was better than TDK, and now its second Monday has held better than TDK.

Up through this point (Day 11) TDK had earned 65% of its ultimate gross. If The Avengers holds this pace, it is on track for $627M.

Updated

NzW16.jpg

Didn't you also poo-poo the chances of a $100 mil second weekend based on last Mondays numbers?

yes I did, I had it at 85-95 Million. I did NOT have it at 115-120 million that many people had.

I don't understand the methodology that only gets the Avengers to 580M.

It's debut was much bigger than TDK, its second weekend hold was better than TDK, and now its second Monday has held better than TDK.

Up through this point (Day 11) TDK had earned 65% of its ultimate gross. If The Avengers holds this pace, it is on track for $627M.

Competition: next weekend it will probably get 50-55 million staying number one, but then comes MIB III and summer officially begins with big blockbusters one after another, competition kills legs. TDK had hardly any competition from big blockbusters after its release.

next weekend:

Battleship - flop
Dictator - medium

May 22nd weekend

MIB III - blockbuster
Chernobyl Diaries - medium

May 29th weekend

Battlefield America - medium
Snow White and the Huntsman - between medium and blockbuster

June 8th weekend

Prometheus - Blockbuster
Madagascar - Blockbuster

June 15th weekend

Rock of Ages - medium to blockbuster

June 22nd weekend

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter - medium
Brave - Blockbuster

June 29th weekend

GI Joe 2 - medium to blockbuster

July 6th weekend

Amazing spiderman - blockbuster
Savages - medium

July 13th weekend

Ice Age 3 - blockbuster

July 20th - weekend

Dark Knight Rises - blockbuster

July 27th weekend

Step up revolution - medium
The watch - medium

Jacob

Thanks for continually posting the graphs, I find them really interesting. If it's not too much trouble, would it be possible to put Harry Potter DH2 on there? I'm curiously to see how a movie that was so frontloaded would look graphically when compared to the other blockbusters you have listed.

Thanks again for the all the charts. :)

kswiston

I don't see this at all. It has held better than the Dark Knight almost every day so far, and is currently running about $58M ahead of the the Dark Knight, yet you think its legs will just drop off resulting in it loosing ground for the rest of its run? The Dark Knight had fairly similar third week competition as the Avengers will have. The Mummy 3 opened to $40M which will probably only be a little lower than Battleship's opening, and Step Brothers' second weekend take was similar to what Dark Shadow will make this weekend. Your competition reasoning also breaks down when you consider week 4 is memorial day weekend. What it loses in later weeks will be made up for on Memorial day. These movies are 90% done by week 5 or 6 anyhow. As long as the Avengers stays competitive through Memorial day, poor late legs are going to make the difference of maybe 5% of the total. Also, Summer can support a number of movies. No reason why the legs for the Avengers will be that poor.

If the rest of the weekdays follow today, the Avengers will make $27.1M through Thursday, putting its total at almost exactly $400M. A 45% drop on its third weekend (which would be steeper than the Dark Knight's 43% third weekend drop), would give the movie $56.7M, putting the total at ~$457M. Another round of 50% weekday drops (which would be high. Iron Man 1 was dropping less than 40% that week) and a 40% weekend drop on the 3 day memorial day weekend (again high), would put the movie at $504M. And that was being conservative.

If you change this weekend's drop to 40%, the following weekday drops to 40%, and the Memorial day drop to 35% you get $518M before Memorial Day Monday. And none of those drops would be particularly amazing for a well liked blockbuster. Iron Man 1 had slightly better drops than this scenario, and it had a $55M opener in its third weekend (Narnia 2) and a $100M opener in its fourth Memorial day weekend (Indy 4). At worst, Avengers will have similar competition.

EDIT: Regarding competition killing legs, Summer 2008 was probably as packed as this summer will be. Most weekends had a $50-60M opener through June and early July leading up to The Dark Knight. Despite this, Iron Man made 21% of its gross after the Sunday of Memorial day weekend. If the Avengers hits $510M by the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend, and has similar legs it will reach $640. To reach $600M after hitting $510 on Memorial Day weekend, Avengers will only need 15% of its total gross going forward.

And just to drive this competition notion into the ground even further, Iron Man made a larger portion of its earnings after its fourth weekend than The Dark Knight did. Despite the fact that it faced major openings almost every weekend, and the Dark Knight coasted with little competition.

kswiston

Actuals are in for Monday,

The Avengers -- $7,923,789
Dark Shadows -- $2,311,455

If you look at similar movies (Iron Man 2, Thor, etc) Second Monday Drops are usually steeper than week-to-week drops for the rest of the week. I still think the Avengers will hit $400M by Thursday. At the very least, I think the Tues-Wed drop won't be as steep as last week now that demand has been burnt off.

Thanks for continually posting the graphs, I find them really interesting. If it's not too much trouble, would it be possible to put Harry Potter DH2 on there? I'm curiously to see how a movie that was so frontloaded would look graphically when compared to the other blockbusters you have listed.

Thanks again for the all the charts. :)

http://i.imgur.com/M2WrU.jpg

If you look at similar movies (Iron Man 2, Thor, etc) Second Monday Drops are usually steeper than week-to-week drops for the rest of the week. I still think the Avengers will hit $400M by Thursday. At the very least, I think the Tues-Wed drop won't be as steep as last week now that demand has been burnt off.

Tuesdays are always higher than Mondays and Wednesday and Thursdays are always lower than mondays, especially in week 2

duckroll

Interesting that Avengers has finally started to slow down realistically. It certainly seems that Beating Titanic is almost out of the equation now, but it could still probably settle at about 600 million domestic or so, which would set a really high bar for TDKR. Poor Sculli?

What's XMen Origins: Wolverine?

See this makes it even easier! :)

TDKR is really the last blockbuster of the summer, which is going to help it, just like it did for TDK. Really, the only possible $50m opener after it is The Expendables 2.

Tuesdays are always higher than Mondays and Wednesday and Thursdays are always lower than mondays, especially in week 2
Tuesday's gross will end up higher. It's just the nature of how Tuesdays perform nowadays, but the Wednesday drop will compensate for it.

DoubleTap

I don't think they see Origins as canon at all. As far as the others, I'm sure they could easily write around that. I don't think First Class is necessarily a direct prequel, but it's also not a reboot either.

Even if you take away Origins. The early scene in X3 where a bald and walking Prof. X visits a young Jean Gray with Magneto screws up the timeline for First Class.

I consider FC a reboot.

Sorry for continuing this OT topic.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
yes I did, I had it at 85-95 Million. I did NOT have it at 115-120 million that many people had.

Competition: next weekend it will probably get 50-55 million staying number one, but then comes MIB III and summer officially begins with big blockbusters one after another, competition kills legs. TDK had hardly any competition from big blockbusters after its release.

next weekend:

Battleship - flop
Dictator - medium

May 22nd weekend

MIB III - blockbuster
Chernobyl Diaries - medium

May 29th weekend

Battlefield America - medium
Snow White and the Huntsman - between medium and blockbuster

June 8th weekend

Prometheus - Blockbuster
Madagascar - Blockbuster

June 15th weekend

Rock of Ages - medium to blockbuster

June 22nd weekend

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter - medium
Brave - Blockbuster

June 29th weekend

GI Joe 2 - medium to blockbuster

July 6th weekend

Amazing spiderman - blockbuster
Savages - medium

July 13th weekend

Ice Age 3 - blockbuster

July 20th - weekend

Dark Knight Rises - blockbuster

July 27th weekend

Step up revolution - medium
The watch - medium

looks like MIB III will be the first storm for the Avengers to weather, i dunno how many people are "stoked" for battleship. I guess the real question is what movie is gonna be the word of mouth movie, Avengers is apparently one, I think the next one will be either Prometheus or Brave. If Avengers is still in the top 10 in mid June - July then i see 600m for it.

duckroll

Even if you take away Origins. The early scene in X3 where a bald and walking Prof. X visits a young Jean Gray with Magneto screws up the timeline for First Class.

I consider FC a reboot.

Damnit, you're all poking holes in my precious theory! Nooooo!

Man, Fox sure sucks at continuity! :(

Cipherr

I consider FC a reboot.

Oh my jesus, wow. I never noticed any of that. Then again I just watched those XMen movies for fun, never tried to analyze them or anything. But, yeah, wow, they really fucked their timelines all up didnt they..

kswiston

http://i.imgur.com/M2WrU.jpg

Are you talking week-to-week drops? Because out of the last 5 marvel movies to release in the first week of May (ie every major summer starter for the last 5 years), Iron Man 1 was the only one that had a worse week-to-week drop on its second Tuesday compared to its second Monday. Probably because it actually increased on its first Tuesday over the Monday gross (which didn't happen with any other May Marvel film).

A rule that only happens 1 out of 5 times doesn't seem like much of a rule to me. I wouldn't be surprised to see Avengers get a better drop tomorrow.

Also, as an X-men fan, the continuity stuff in First Class really pissed me off. They should have just rebooted the franchise and used the actual first class of X-men (plus Mystique if they needed her in there). Instead they tried to follow the continuity that Wolverine already messed up...

JdFoX187

Banned
Even that has it's own problems though. In X-men 1 Xavier explains that Magneto is able to block Cerebro's signals because he helped build it, which is obviously not the case in First Class.

Obviously Cerebro in X-Men is not the same as the one in First Class. Throughout the comic book history, the two have reconciled stuff enough to work together. I could see that happening and, at some point, they build a new Cerebro.

duckroll

So is the expectation now that it will go into the third weekend with 400 million, and come out of the weekend with maybe 440-450 million? Or is the weekend likely to be lower?

So is the expectation now that it will go into the third weekend with 400 million, and come out of the weekend with maybe 440-450 million? Or is the weekend likely to be lower?
I think it'll pass up Star Wars this weekend. The three openers this weekend (well, 1 on Wednesday) is going to prevent it from dropping like Spider-Man or Iron Man 1 did, but I still see ~$60m.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom