• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office Est. 05•11-13 •12 - Depp/Burton bask in shadow of Whedon's Avengers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busty

Banned
You seem to be forgetting Prestige, which Nolan produced, wrote, and directed between Batman Begins and The Dark Knight.

Prestige was distributed in International territories by WB and by Disney in the US IIRC.

It was financed by a now defunct outfit called Newmarket. The studio maintained their relationship with Nolan and then after The Prestige he came to do the second Batman movie.

Feige has said that all Marvel directors have options for second films in their contracts....

Oh really? I thought I'd read in Variety that Whedon was the exception to that rule.

I stand corrected if Feige himself has said otherwise. THough these directors have two film deals their second film always includes a pay increas/bonus

But it's worth noting that Marvel is notoriously cheap and would likely hire a cheaper director than pay the contracted director more.

I expect Whedon to be the exception if that is the case.

sharbhund

Prestige was distributed in International territories by WB and by Disney in the US IIRC.

It was financed by a now defunct outfit called Newmarket. The studio maintained their relationship with Nolan and then after The Prestige he came to do the second Batman movie.

Oh really? I thought I'd read in Variety that Whedon was the exception to that rule.

I stand corrected if Feige himself has said otherwise. THough these directors have two film deals their second film always includes a oay increas/bonus

But it's worth noting that Marvel is notoriously cheap and would likely hire a cheaper director than pay the contracted director more.

I expect Whedon to be the exception if that is the case.

I found a quote:

http://www.craveonline.com/film/articles/187907-the-underdog-kevin-feige-on-the-avengers
In a perfect world, would you bring Joss back for Avengers 2 or would you want to spread it out and bring more voices into it?

In a perfect world? It would be Joss for Avengers 2.

Have you discussed it at all?

No. I mean, we have, as I’m sure you have read… Marvel has very specific contracts and very specific options and things like that, and we have that with all of our actors and all of our filmmakers. But we’re not going to force anybody to do anything they don’t want to do, necessarily. So we’ve had very preliminary conversations on the scoring stage late at night, things like that, but the goal has always been [to] finish the movie. Make this movie. That’s where we are now. So we’ll have… I hope to have deeper discussions in the coming months.

DMczaf

Nolan had no deal for The Dark Knight when Begins came out. WB liked the box office numbers and were prepared to bring him back due to the legs it had, but it wasn't until it came out on DVD and sold a shit load that WB wanted to green light a sequel as soon as possible.

duckroll

Yeah this is all true, but Nolan managed to carry over his producer role from Prestige into every movie he has made since, all at Warner. So they clearly gave him more say over the entire production right after Batman Begin's success. It's true that it might not have anything to do with his contract as a director/writer though.

Solo

Which they will, so this whole discussion is rather moot. RDJ will get PAID to keep playing IM, and Whedon will get a really nice bump for Avengers 2. Basically, unless they're completely stupid and want to loose the goodwill they've built, now is the time for the legendary tightasses at Marvel Studios to loosen those purse strings.

Busty

Banned
Yeah this is all true, but Nolan managed to carry over his producer role from Prestige into every movie he has made since, all at Warner. So they clearly gave him more say over the entire production right after Batman Begin's success. It's true that it might not have anything to do with his contract as a director/writer though.

Syncopy had a first look deal with WB for years until recently when Nolan and his wife decided to move away from the demands that a first look deal brings and instead concentrate on doing their own thing, at their own pace.

I imagine WB sweetened the pot for Nolan after BB in an effort to bring him closer to the studio. Improved terms, first look deal etc, etc. Of course all the while he was sit obliged to direct TDK.

The president of Warners is said to have a very close working relationship with Nolan. In short though no official deal between Nolan and WB exists but it is his 'studio home'

duckroll

Interesting. I'll have a look for the variety article later but it said that Disney/Marvel would need to entice (or words to that effect) both RDJ (who's out of contract) and Whedon (who evidently isn't) back for the Avengers sequel.

My understanding from following Marvel Studios over the years is that they have specific contracts for the cast limited to [x] movies, but their contracts with directors are based on first refusal options. A director can turn down the offer to do a sequel if they're not interested, or not creatively invested. Both parties can also mutually walk away if they're not happy with the same terms (the director wants more money, or Marvel convinces the director that they're not keen on continuing).

So far from what we've seen, Thor 2 was a case of Branagh not being able to commit because of his stage work, and Captain America 2 seems to be a case where it will be so different in tone and setting that Johnston isn't interested in returning. Favreau stepping away from Iron Man is a mix of him being unhappy about how IM2 went, and not getting more money.

You misread my post. I was making the same point that you are.

But seriously, what the fuck is up with Fox? Almost all of their superhero movies are shit. It looks like they are constantly trying to undercut the success of every superhero movie they put out (except maybe X2).

First Class was OUTSTANDING. Easily on the level of iron man, but not quite avengers

duckroll

Syncopy had a first look deal with WB for years until recently when Nolan and his wife decided to move away from the demands that a first look deal brings and instead concentrate on doing their own thing, at their own pace.

I imagine WB sweetened the pot for Nolan after BB in an effort to bring him closer to the studio. Improved terms, first look deal etc, etc. Of course all the while he was sit obliged to direct TDK.

The president of Warners is said to have a very close working relationship with Nolan. In short though no official deal between Nolan and WB exists but it is his 'studio home'

Considering how close Nolan is to Warner these days, and the potential first look deal he has (especially for DC material), I wonder if he ever got to see the Green Lantern scripts. And I wonder what his comments were... Lol. :(

Future looks pretty bright for FOX superhero movies:

First Class was great despite everything not going in it's favor, Vaugn is attached for another sequel so that should be great.

The Wolverine is being directing by James Mangold so it at least has potential and the FF reboot is being directed by Josh Trank which is an interesting choice.

jett

D-Member
From FOX: First Class and X2 are good
From MAHVEL: Avengers and Iron Man are good
From WB: TDK and Begins are good
From Sony: Spider-man and Spider-man 2 are good

Seems these studios are incapable of making more than two good comic book movies.

duckroll

Seems these studios are incapable of making more than two good comic book movies.

So what you're saying is... TDKR and Iron Man 3 are pretty much doomed? Harsh!

artist

Banned
Considering how close Nolan is to Warner these days, and the potential first look deal he has (especially for DC material), I wonder if he ever got to see the Green Lantern scripts. And I wonder what his comments were... Lol. :(
Nolan should have got his convict brother to rework the script for GL.

sharbhund

No third film if any trilogy is good, except for ROTK, and thats all I can think of on top of my head.

LkMZA.jpg

New Line: Blade 1 and 2

Third movies in Superhero films tend to be LOL. Blade 3, Spider-Man 3, Superman 3, X-Men 3. Break the streak, Nolan Batman!

There's plenty of good third movies: RotK, RotJ, Last Crusade, Army of Darkness, Toy Story 3, Die Hard with a Vengeance, MI3, etc. They just don't tend to be superhero movies.

I rewatched Spider-Man 3 recently. I'm willing to admit it's even more enjoyable than the first two, just... for the wrong reasons lol

No third film if any trilogy is good, except for ROTK, and thats all I can think of on top of my head.
There's plenty of great threequels. Shame on you for saying otherwise!

gerg

First Class was OUTSTANDING. Easily on the level of iron man, but not quite avengers

Eh, I think I'd put First Class on the same level as the original X-Men. I need to watch it again but I remember being disappointed when seeing it in the cinema. It's definitely not as good as X-Men 2.

Edit: But I'm still looking forward to the sequel. Hopefully Vaughn will be able to wrestle a bit more creative control from FOX.

JdFoX187

Banned
Eh, I think I'd put First Class on the same level as the original X-Men. I need to watch it again but I remember being disappointed when seeing it in the cinema. It's definitely not as good as X-Men 2.

Edit: But I'm still looking forward to the sequel. Hopefully Vaughn will be able to wrestle a bit more creative control from FOX.

The relationship between Erik and Xavier sets it on a level far above the middling X-Men.

Statham is his own mini industry when it comes to action films. His latest interview in Details (I think) confirms this. He specializes in lower budget, mid level performers that actually do make money back. That's why he continues what he does.

SAFE kicks ass, and is more like an oldschool Seagal film (Pre-On Deadly Ground) than the typical Statham vehicle.

kswiston

Bumping so people stop using the wrong thread.

EDIT: On topic, it looks like boxoffice.com is predicting $64M first weekend (keep in mind it opens on a Tues) and $233 total for Amazing Spider-man. I think that is sort of lowballing things, but we shall see.

Dany

Banned

I actively dislike First Class, it is mediocre garbage. Almost as bad as Wolverine, beyond Fassbender acting, everything else was just poop. Maybe I will rewatch it but I am just dumbfounded. I saw it way after everyone else and was like "are these people blind, is their fandom eclipsing the poor writing, editing, story telling, music, acting of this movie?"

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I actively dislike First Class, it is middling to garbage. Almost as bad as Wolverine, beyond Fassbender acting, everything else was just poop. Maybe I will rewatch it but I am ust dumbfounded, I saw it way after everyone else and was like "are these people blind, is their fandom eclipsing the poor writing, editing, story telling, music, acting of this movie?"

I can understand not liking First Class, but Wolverine was on one of those high tiers of crap.

kswiston

I actively dislike First Class, it is middling garbage. Almost as bad as Wolverine, beyond Fassbender acting, everything else was just poop.

I really liked both Fassbender and McAvoy in it. I thought they really pulled off the Magneto/Xavier early friendship. I could have done away with the rest of the X-men though. Still, it was a big step up from The Last Stand.

I also liked Wolverine more than The Last Stand. Mainly because I thought Liev Schreiber did a good job as Sabertooth. Also, the title sequence was pretty cool (probably better than the rest of the movie actually).

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

You didnt like the first X-Men?

Dram

So question for those of you who watched first class. Is it a reboot, or is it a continuation of X-Men 3?

artist

Banned
Bumping so people stop using the wrong thread.

EDIT: On topic, it looks like boxoffice.com is predicting $64M first weekend (keep in mind it opens on a Tues) and $233 total for Amazing Spider-man. I think that is sort of lowballing things, but we shall see.
And they've predicted 64M for the 4 days (wtf?). I expect it closer to BOM's (300M total) and after seeing the new trailer/preview, think it will pass that.

Oppo

Locked the old one so it can't happen anymore.

Sorry that was my fault.

Not more love for Captain America in this thread? I was a huge doubter, but I thought they did a pretty good job with a nigh-unworkable scenario/character.

Also, yes, X-men First Class was a really pleasant and enjoyable surprise.

Kusagari

I actively dislike First Class, it is mediocre garbage. Almost as bad as Wolverine, beyond Fassbender acting, everything else was just poop. Maybe I will rewatch it but I am just dumbfounded. I saw it way after everyone else and was like "are these people blind, is their fandom eclipsing the poor writing, editing, story telling, music, acting of this movie?"

lol what ridiculous hyperbole. I refuse to believe someone, no matter what they think of First Class, could compare it to Wolverine.

Dany

Banned
lol what ridiculous hyperbole. I refuse to believe someone, no matter what they think of First Class, could compare it to Wolverine.

Everything out of January Jones was shit, no surprise. Kevin Bacon character was flat. Charles was an annoying twat. Montages, cliche lines, cheesy lines, choosing your superhero names and fan service forced in to have fans to squeal "I get that reference!!!!. Oh, and the music was overbearing iirc.

Those are what I can remember off the top of my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom