• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office Est. 05•11-13 •12 - Depp/Burton bask in shadow of Whedon's Avengers

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Shortsighted view.

Think about it, if it's a success, it sends a message to all studios that there's a market for R rated movies, be they horror, action, etc. They'll realize that they no longer need to dumb down every movie to appeal to every demographic.

That's why it has to do well, if it doesn't...say hello to PG-13 AvP3.

I thought Inception was a pretty good example of how you could do a PG-13 film with little to no sex/swearing and still make it thought provoking and appealing to adults. PG-13 doesn't really prevent violence that much any more unless we are talking about graphic violence or gore. I know that it is animated, but Beowulf somehow got a PG-13 rating despite the partial nudity, and the fact that the main character hacks his own arm off (quite graphically) with a sword.

I'm not against reporting gross. But reporting gross without reporting ticket sales can be misleading.

I see. I agree with that. I wonder if ticket sales are released in reports to investors. If they're not, I honestly think the SEC should force them to.

Why does it even matter? Look at concerts. for the right price, people will en mass to anything. I lived in Quebec City for a year. The city periodically hosts large outdoor concerts with no admission costs. In the past people like Celine Dion have performed to 200-300k people at these venues. The cost was free so a quarter of the city showed up. Same goes for their summer music festival. You pay $50-60 to have unlimited access to a couple hundred concerts over two weeks. People like the Arcade Fire will play in front of 80k in the larger venues. If they were charging $50 just for the Arcade Fire, I doubt 5k people would show up.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Shortsighted view.

Think about it, if it's a success, it sends a message to all studios that there's a market for R rated movies, be they horror, action, etc. They'll realize that they no longer need to dumb down every movie to appeal to every demographic.

That's why it has to do well, if it doesn't...say hello to PG-13 AvP3.

Yea, but for how long? One more? Two more films? As soon as one of them bombs, they will cease to pursue hard R- scifi.

And yea, I, like others here, don't really care about the rating either.

Jacob

yeah, if previously terrible movies always meant doom then Batman Begins would have had a hell of a time after Schumacher shit all over the batman franchise.

A clean break (First Class after X-3, Batman Begins after Batman) and a reboot after an awful film can generate some goodwill from fans, I think.

Batman Begins only got to $200M in North America and First Class failed to reach $150M. Obviously TDK was able to cash in on the goodwill from BB and it's possible that if First Class gets a sequel it will do the same thing, but quick reboots of recent franchises generally don't become massive blockbusters until at least the first sequel. I think ASM will make more than BB because the Spider-Man brand was still making money at the end (unlike Batman & Robin) but I don't think it will be as big as the first three. Maybe $250M - $300M domestic. I could be wrong though.

I honestly don't care if AvP3 is R, PG-13, PG, or G. Do you?

Very much. Aliens (and to a lesser extent, Predator) are among some of most favorite movies series'. To see them butchered by incompetent directors and studios who only want to cash in on the name kills a little part of me each time it happens.

I thought Inception was a pretty good example of how you could do a PG-13 film with little to no sex/swearing and still make it thought provoking and appealing to adults. PG-13 doesn't really prevent violence that much any more unless we are talking about graphic violence or gore. I know that it is animated, but Beowulf somehow got a PG-13 rating despite the partial nudity, and the fact that the main character hacks his own arm off (quite graphically) with a sword.

Yeah, there's room for adult/mature themed PG-13 movies. I only have a problem when studios take a movie that clearly needs a higher rating or was written and then directed with a higher in mind and butcher it to get a PG-13 so they can appeal to audiences who won't be interested anyway.

duckroll

Very much. Aliens (and to a lesser extent, Predator) are among some of most favorite movies series'. To see them butchered by incompetent directors and studios who only want to cash in on the name kills a little part of me each time it happens.

None of that has to do with the rating. Most of the movies Fox makes are shit anyway. :p

Why does it even matter? Look at concerts. for the right price, people will en mass to anything. I lived in Quebec City for a year. The city periodically hosts large outdoor concerts with no admission costs. In the past people like Celine Dion have performed to 200-300k people at these venues. The cost was free so a quarter of the city showed up. Same goes for their summer music festival. You pay $50-60 to have unlimited access to a couple hundred concerts over two weeks. People like the Arcade Fire will play in front of 80k in the larger venues. If they were charging $50 just for the Arcade Fire, I doubt 5k people would show up.

There's a big difference between free and cheap. I pointed out in an earlier post why attendance matters; if attendance is going down while gross is going up, there is likely to be a future inflection point where both attendance and gross begin to fall or at least flatline. But the only way anyone can be aware that this is happening is if attendance is reported on. Reporting gross only can mask the root of future decline.

kswiston

Yeah, there's room for adult/mature themed PG-13 movies. I only have a problem when studios take a movie that clearly needs a higher rating or was written and then directed with a higher in mind and butcher it to get a PG-13 so they can appeal to audiences who won't be interested anyway.

We get a ton of R-rated horror, comedy and drama films every year. The common theme is that they are usually low-mid budget movies. PG-13 only becomes a demand from studios when you want $100M+ to make your movie.

There's a big difference between free and cheap. I pointed out in an earlier post why attendance matters; if attendance is going down while gross is going up, there is likely to be a future inflection point where both attendance and gross begin to fall or at least flatline. But the only way anyone can be aware that this is happening is if attendance is reported on. Reporting gross only can mask the root of future decline.

They would have to also take into consideration home movie sales, digital sales, movie rentals, income from tv rights, merchandising (where applicable), product placement, etc, etc. Movies have a lot more streams of revenue than they did 30 years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if the Avengers makes Disney more money off of merchandising than it does off its box office take. In light of all this, I fail to see how attendance numbers matter to investors. People aren't going to stop consuming movies, even if they stop going to the theatre as often. Theatres are affected yes, but they will have to learn to adapt, as they have been doing with 3D, IMAX, etc.

None of that has to do with the rating. Most of the movies Fox makes are shit anyway. :p

In some ways it does. I want gore, graphic violence and chest bursting open, spines being ripped from alive bodies, a PG-13 doesn't exactly allow that.

We get a ton of R-rated horror, comedy and drama films every year. PG-13 only becomes a demand from studios when you want $100M+ to make your movie.

We do? Seriously, apart from Shame, I can't think of any other R rated movies that were released this year. I should qualify this by stating I haven't really been going to the theater as much I used to due to work and other commitments.

duckroll

In some ways it does. I want gore, graphic violence and chest bursting open, spines being ripped from alive bodies, a PG-13 doesn't exactly allow that.

So you don't actually want a good movie, you just want a violent one. Well, I can't say I care to support that vision of film making. AvP movies will always be shit, so I don't care what rating they are. I just wish Fox would stop making them, period.

border

I am seriously worried that Prometheus won't do well at the box office. I think that the rating might I hurt it. I think that the title of the film works against it. It doesn't appeal to a wide demographic, etc.

I don't think it will do that well either. The trailers make it look like any other doomsday sci-fi flick. "Oh we discovered a secret message from some aliens - we thought we were being welcomed but it was all a trap!" Feels like a pretty played out premise, and most people wouldn't be paying attention to it if not for Ridley Scott's involvement.

Ganhyun

Nice numbers for Avengers. I'll honestly say, that I haven't liked most of Depp's and Burton's collaborations recently. I will not watch Battleship.

The movies I want to see this year:

Avengers (watched twice already, so check)
MIB3
Snow White and the Huntsman (for GF)
Expendables 2
TDKR

I'm pretty sure there were a few more that I can't think of right now.

kswiston

We do? Seriously, apart from Shame, I can't think of any other R rated movies that were released this year. I should qualify this by stating I haven't really been going to the theater as much I used to due to work and other commitments.

Shame was NC-17 in the US, but there were over 50 R-rated films released in 2011 that grossed more than Shame according to BOM. If you want to count everything, including limited releases, there were 174 R-rated movies last year.

41 made $10M+
26 made $25M+
11 made $50M+
8 made $75M+
6 made $100M+

Bridesmaids made almost $170M and the Hangover 2 made over $250M. Paranormal Activity 3 was the highest grossing horror film with $104M and Girl With the Dragon Tattoo was the highest grossing drama/thriller with $102M

You can make money off an R rated movie as long as it doesn't cost $150-200M

Jacob

Really? First, Shame was NC-17, not R. Also, according to BOM there were 174 R-rated movies released last year. Obviously not all of these were big hits, but there were six movies that passed $100M domestically and most of those were pretty well-received.

Long URL

Hangover 2, while by all accounts not a good movie, was still one of the top five highest-grossing movies of the year, and Bridesmaids was one of the highest-grossing and best-reviewed comedies.

So you don't actually want a good movie, you just want a violent one. Well, I can't say I care to support that vision of film making. AvP movies will always be shit, so I don't care what rating they are. I just wish Fox would stop making them, period.

there's room for both and in some cases, violence can make a movie better or enhance the experience.

Maybe that's my 80's violent movie streak talking (I grew up watching stuff like Robocop, Commando, Predator, Alien/s, Rambo, etc), but I hate that more and more movies are resorting to implied violence/removing all traces of gore.

The most recent one I can think of is THG. The book was pretty damn graphic at points and while I can understand why the felt the need to remove/censor most of the violence to reach a certain rating, it negatively affected the overall movie for me and secured my sitting out the sequel until it comes on telly or I'm forced to watch it on BR.

I do agree that AvP movies will always be shit, but Prom bombing at the BO will mean less unique sci-fi in that universe and more AvP shite and in PG-13. :(

1t9YZ.jpg

reposted in new thread

Shame was NC-17 in the US, but there were over 50 R-rated films released in 2011 that grossed more than Shame according to BOM. If you want to count everything, including limited releases, there were 174 R-rated movies last year.

41 made $10M+
26 made $25M+
11 made $50M+
8 made $75M+
6 made $100M+

Bridesmaids made almost $170M and the Hangover 2 made over $250M. Paranormal Activity 3 was the highest grossing horror film with $104M and Girl With the Dragon Tattoo was the highest grossing drama/thriller with $102M

You can make money off an R rated movie as long as it doesn't cost $150-200M

Really? First, Shame was NC-17, not R. Also, according to BOM there were 174 R-rated movies released last year. Obviously not all of these were big hits, but there were six movies that passed $100M domestically and most of those were pretty well-received.

Long URL

Hangover 2, while by all accounts not a good movie, was still one of the top five highest-grossing movies of the year, and Bridesmaids was one of the highest-grossing and best-reviewed comedies.

Ah, thanks for looking that up. Seems I was wrong.

Maybe those movies simply weren't to my taste, might explain why I didn't notice they were R.

As for PA3, I'm shocked that was rated R. I watched it recently and nothing about it felt like it deserved that rating. I honestly thought it was 15 at most.

Strange times we live in where an R rated horror movie actually feels more like a comedy at times.

duckroll

I do agree that AvP movies will always be shit, but Prom bombing at the BO will mean less unique sci-fi in that universe and more AvP shite and in PG-13. :(

I dunno if I really believe that though. We could just as easily be looking at Prometheus doing really well, and instead of giving good directors more time to create big original scifi movies, Fox rushes out me-too follow ups by yes-man directors instead. See: X-men 3. I really just don't trust Fox with anything these days. I just take what I can get if it looks good, and avoid the junk.

kswiston

there's room for both and in some cases, violence can make a movie better or enhance the experience.

Maybe that's my 80's violent movie streak talking (I grew up watching stuff like Robocop, Commando, Predator, Alien/s, Rambo, etc), but I hate that more and more movies are resorting to implied violence/removing all traces of gore.

The most recent one I can think of is THG. The book was pretty damn graphic at points and while I can understand why the felt the need to remove/censor most of the violence to reach a certain rating, it negatively affected the overall movie for me and secured my sitting out the sequel until it comes on telly or I'm forced to watch it on BR.

The Hunger Games is a young adult novel series, so it is understandable that the movies are aimed at young adults (12-17).

I'm looking forward to another violent 80s movie revival in the Expendables 2. They still make a lot of violent action movies but unfortunately many of them are shot with shaky cam and star Jason Statham or Clive Owen (or both)

They would have to also take into consideration home movie sales, digital sales, movie rentals, income from tv rights, merchandising (where applicable), product placement, etc, etc.

Right, which is why they should have as much data as possible. Do you disagree with that?

Movies have a lot more streams of revenue than they did 30 years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if the Avengers makes Disney more money off of merchandising than it does off its box office take. In light of all this, I fail to see how attendance numbers matter to investors.

How are kids going to buy a toy for a movie they haven't seen? Advertising is of course a powerful force, but even the Disney CEO acknowledges that for his company, films are the central axis around which all ancillary revenue revolves. In order to sell merchandise, you need a popular film. The more popular the film, the better chance you have of making a ton of money on merchandise.

People aren't going to stop consuming movies, even if they stop going to the theatre as often. Theatres are affected yes, but they will have to learn to adapt, as they have been doing with 3D, IMAX, etc.

Wall Street wants to know if the studios are going to grow on a quarterly basis. Growth can come from rising ticket prices, rising attendance, or both. But as I've said, declining attendance threatens to put a cap on future growth even if revenues are rising. Why wouldn't investors want this information?

pestul

What's stopping them from just keeping Avengers on screens most of the summer? Maybe it will run for a while and keep going when kids are out of school. If that occurs, I can see it hitting $1.5B WW.

I dunno if I really believe that though. We could just as easily be looking at Prometheus doing really well, and instead of giving good directors more time to create big original scifi movies, Fox rushes out me-too follow ups by yes-man directors instead. See: X-men 3. I really just don't trust Fox with anything these days. I just take what I can get if it looks good, and avoid the junk.

Stop being so damn pessimistic. :(

You're right though, I guess I'm just overly hopeful (naively so, perhaps) of something good coming out of Prometheus doing well.

The Hunger Games is a young adult novel series, so it is understandable that the movies are aimed at young adults (12-17).

I'm looking forward to another violent 80s movie revival in the Expendables 2. They still make a lot of violent action movies but unfortunately many of them are shot with shaky cam and star Jason Statham or Clive Owen (or both)

See, I don't mind either star (especially Clive Owen.), but you're absolutely right in that most movies that feature what can be considered (by today's standards) an excessive amount of violence always tend to feature a lot of shaky cam, which almost helps to censor the violence. It was used to remarkable effect in THG, I was dreading that scene, but they managed to make it somewhat decent through the use of SC.

One thing that really irks me in most PG-13 movies (it's not exclusive to PG-13 rated movies by any means) is that the 'new' way to convey death without showing gore is a blank stare. Something about it annoys me.

Thanks for reminding me about TE2, almost forgot that was coming this year. Something to look forward to in the late Summer months.

kswiston

Fantastic Four is the Marvel property I most wish was back at Marvel/Disney. Obviously Spidey an Wolverine are way more popular, but I think the FF are a lot more integral to the Marvel Universe, and they would fit in well with the MCU.

I am not even sure why Fox felt compelled to hold onto the rights. Spite? They weren't exactly making that much off of the franchise.

G-Fex

in a alternate universe, Duckroll is super happy about Green Lantern , it being that Green Lantern is a great movie in a alternate universe.

marrec

Banned
Apparently, he did some pilots over there. I haven't seen Fright Night, dunno if he uses one there or not

He sounds exactly like Doctor 10 in Fright Night... which is funny considering that means he faked a British accent for it instead of using his native Scottish accent. (Like in Hamlet)

duckroll

Fantastic Four is the Marvel property I most wish was back at Marvel/Disney. Obviously Spidey an Wolverine are way more popular, but I think the FF are a lot more integral to the Marvel Universe, and they would fit in well with the MCU.

I am not even sure why Fox felt compelled to hold onto the rights. Spite? They weren't exactly making that much off of the franchise.

Not spite. Potential. Any big studio would see Marvel properties as potentially hot stuff. Giving it up would be silly if you actually think you could one day do a good job and profit from it. The problem is always with incompetence, not willful intent to make terrible films.

artist

Banned
lol. You were pretty much on the edge if Ducky hadn't intervened with his misguided claims.
Ok, ducky and me and wrong and you're correct. Ok ..

So much so, that you later attempted to brush your posts off as sarcasm.
It was indeed sarcasm, which part of the exclamations didnt you get? As if the facepalm at the end wasnt a dead give away.
Gee, boxofficemojo and the rest were all comparing Avenger's tracking to SM3.

THEY MUST BE POINTLESS!!!1

*facepalm*
Sigh, this is tiring. If you want, you can continue this with PM. But I doubt I have the energy to entertain you further.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom