• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office Est. 05•11-13 •12 - Depp/Burton bask in shadow of Whedon's Avengers

Status
Not open for further replies.

artist

Banned
Interesting fact time, THG is only the fourth film after The Dark Knight, Avatar, How to Train your Dragon in the last 10 years to stay in the top 5 for 8 or more weekends.

Am I the only one that thinks Snow White will bomb or at least be extremely frontloaded? Maybe my hate for Stewart is tainting me.
I think it's going to have a monster of an opening, but end up being one of the most frontloaded films of the summer. My current prediction is $85m/$195m. I know the OW probably looks crazy, but it's going to be helped a lot by being the first female driven blockbuster since Hunger Games, and Battleship/MIB3 have both been polling under expectations.

WrikaWrek

Banned

And I hope one of those films actually moves, for their sake not TDKR. It's beyond retarded and they'll just cannibalize each other.

What happened to friendly bets? I'll be able to gloat, that's good enough.

Besides, unless you made me wear an avatar of Sonnen K.oing Silva, I wouldn't care either way. I could make any avatar look good.

Am I the only one that thinks Snow White will bomb or at least be extremely frontloaded? Maybe my hate for Stewart is tainting me.

I wish. I honestly have no clue what the hype level for that movie is at all. It could open at $20 million or $150 million, neither would shock me. I've heard zero people talk about it, but I figure if even a small portion of twilight fans see it, it will do okay opening weekend at least.

Its weird, I kinda want to see Darkshadows again even though it didnt bowl me over. maybe some of the essense of the earlier work is in there.

Tobor

I wish. I honestly have no clue what the hype level for that movie is at all. It could open at $20 million or $150 million, neither would shock me. I've heard zero people talk about it, but I figure if even a small portion of twilight fans see it, it will do okay opening weekend at least.

I don't get it either. I've never heard it mentioned anywhere outside of GAF. Is Twilight girl that big of a pull outside of actual Twilight movies?

duckroll

After this weekend, Avenger's worldwide total should be in Return of the King and Dark of the Moon territory (> 1.1 billion), and the domestic total should be in Star Wars territory (460 million). It looks pretty much destined to be #3 worldwide and domestic at this point. I don't see how anything can change. I also don't see how TDKR has a chance at beating the records.

kswiston

After this weekend, Avenger's worldwide total should be in Return of the King and Dark of the Moon territory (> 1.1 billion), and the domestic total should be in Star Wars territory (460 million). It looks pretty much destined to be #3 worldwide and domestic at this point. I don't see how anything can change. I also don't see how TDKR has a chance at beating the records.

Yup. Avengers made $20M worldwide on Tuesday. Figure around $30M combined for Wed and Thurs (maybe slightly less), and it should go into the weekend with 1.065B. That makes it at lock for 4th place by Sunday. This weekend should still be over $100M worldwide. Maybe even $120M.

After that it will take 2-3 more weeks to pass Harry Potter.

Of course it has no chance of beating records set by TA. Only the very naive/foolish will continue to believe it's possible.

It will probably have stronger legs, but it won't come close to TA's final BO take. Lack of 3d tax all but assures it.

Nikki said:
WEDNESDAY PM/THURSDAY AM: From parading a camel down the Cannes Croissette this week, to humiliating Ryan Seacrest on the Oscars’ Red Carpet last February, Sacha Baron Cohen hasn’t missed an opportunity to hype his latest character, Admiral General Aladeen. But it looks like his many publicity stunts for Paramount’s The Dictator worked better overseas than domestically. My sources say the R-rated spoof about a fictional Middle Eastern tyrant opened with just $4.5 million from 3,003 North American theaters on Wednesday, much weaker than the $5M to $6.5M that rival studios predicted the laugher would earn. Plus, audiences only gave it a ‘C’ CinemaScore which may adversely affect the pic’s word of mouth this weekend

http://www.deadline.com/2012/05/dic...ronger/#utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Sounds like he should stick to unscripted stuff. :(

Yeah, I think this character could of worked better as partially unscripted. Borat was amazing because of the unscripted interactions. But, even though I found Bruno funny, it was a serious drop from Borat. So who knows if he could of pulled off another unscripted character.

Yeah, I think this character could of worked better as partially unscripted. Borat was amazing because of the unscripted interactions. But, even though I found Bruno funny, it was a serious drop from Borat. So who knows if he could of pulled off another unscripted character.

The interviews i've heard him doing for the role have been really funny, he seems better when it's unscripted.

Tobor

Man, this review of Battleship is vicious.

Yes, BATTLESHIP is probably too dumb even for Michael Bay’s standards, considering it makes the two films of his it borrows from (ARMAGEDDON and TRANSFORMERS) look like intellectual masterpieces.

Watching Taylor Kitsch is really no different than watching a block of wood acting on-screen, except the wood might actually break through with an emotion periodically.

Are aspects of the game weaved into the film? Of course they are, and they’re good for an eye roll a piece as soon as they pop up, from the grid that makes up the game board to the calling out of coordinates in firing upon your target to “Hit” to the ammunition looking like the pegs of the game to a variation of “You sunk my battleship.” It’s everything you dreaded when you first heard they were making a movie based on BATTLESHIP, only now it’s worse because it’s really happening.

As a film, the only thing it successfully does is kill brain cells, so, if you’re a fan of being a drooling mess, then, by all means, spend some time watching BATTLESHIP. At least it’ll make it easy to point out the idiots of our society. However, if you have any respect at all for intelligent life, mainly meaning your own, stay as far away from this film as possible. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if just walking past the individual theatre that’s playing it made you a little dumber simply by being that close to it. If BATTLESHIP was only bad, it wouldn't be so bad. Terrible movies happen all the time. Whatever. They can't all be winners. But to be so incredibly moronic… that’s far worse.

Hahaha, wow.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/55798

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Man, this review of Battleship is vicious.

Hahaha, wow.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/55798

But at least Pac Rim will be better off thanks to it!

http://www.artofvfx.com/?p=2537

Have you developed new tools for the water?
BATTLESHIP presented a host of CG water challenges. Not only do the alien ships breech up out of the ocean, and leap around the ocean surface, but they are designed to constantly recycle water — pulling fluid up via hoses, and then cascading it back out though water ports. This constant flow of water becomes a major component of the Stinger’s character. Further, since many of the ships get sunk, the destruction had to be coupled with our water simulations, so that fractured pieces of an exploding ship had to splash down into the surrounding CG water.

It became clear early on that we were going to have to take it to the next level. So, in 2010 we started the ‘Battleship Water Project’ — and over the course of a year we reengineered how we tackle large-scale fluid simulation and rendering at ILM. Considering our system at the time had been honored with a Sci-Tech Award from the Academy just a couple of years earlier, we didn’t make the decision lightly.

Our goal was to fully represent the lifespan of a water droplet.
So if we are recreating a cascade or waterfall, the water begins as a simmed mesh, with all of the appropriate collisions as it bounces along various surfaces. And then the streams begin to break-up into smaller clusters, and then into tiny droplets, and finally into mist. And along that evolution from dense water to mist, the particles become progressively more influenced by airfields.

Tobor

I am more amused by the amount of internet and film reviewers who expected some kind of masterpiece. It is a movie based off a really old and very basic board game

Did you read his conclusion? It's obvious he wasn't expecting a masterpiece.

JdFoX187

Banned
Damn, I wanted to see Battleship just for the eye candy and out of a morbid curiosity to see how bad it really was. But that review was a little disconcerting and I'm not sure if I want to waste two hours of my life on it.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I am more amused by the amount of internet and film reviewers who expected some kind of masterpiece. It is a movie based off a really old and very basic board game

Yeah, it was totally based off that board game that really isnt anything like this movie. Also, the whole masterpiece thing is such a cop out strawman. No one is expecting Sunrise or Raging Bull here.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Yeah, it was totally based off that board than really isnt anything like this movie. Also, the whole masterpiece thing is such a cop out strawman. No one is expecting Sunrise or Raging Bull here.

I don't know. I was expecting at least a Godfather Part III.

XiaNaphryz

Any word if Avengers took advantage of this? The part where
the helicarrier lifts out of the water
had really really good water effects going on.

Another vendor did those shots, Scanline I believe. The asset was built by us though and shared - Weta used it as well, for example, for some of the later action sequences.

My girlfriend wants to see it for Charlize Theron and her character's parallels to Elizabeth Báthory.

I don't get it either. I've never heard it mentioned anywhere outside of GAF. Is Twilight girl that big of a pull outside of actual Twilight movies?

Twilight hasn't led to big hits for the male stars. Bella could have been played by a box of Apple Jacks and those movies would have made bank.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
OK, Avengers, can you stop being so successful now? Please?

ibeq0Ov6DYlEIW.gif

Superman00

Liverpool01
Avengers made $50m+ in Mexico so far. Already surpass Avatar, it has a real shot at Toy Story 3, which I think has the record.

now its doing normal numbers.

By what metric is 6.3M for a 2nd Wednesday non-summer "normal"? Or do you mean it's still having "normal" drops? The legs to me still look fantastic as so far it's been better then TDK which had phenomenal legs. I do understand competition is coming and can take it's legs out somewhat, but so far I'd be hard pressed to qualify the performance of TA as anything but spectacular so far.

This is an honest question as I'm not a huge BO tracker on a day to day, I'm usually a good bit more casual.

kswiston

By what metric is 6.3M for a 2nd Wednesday non-summer "normal"? Or do you mean it's still having "normal" drops? The legs to me still look fantastic as so far it's been better then TDK which had phenomenal legs. I do understand competition is coming and can take it's legs out somewhat, but so far I'd be hard pressed to qualify the performance of TA as anything but spectacular so far.

This is an honest question as I'm not a huge BO tracker on a day to day, I'm usually a good bit more casual.

The answer is that he is not correct. He is scaling down from smaller movies, and that isn't how things work. We say that TDK had great legs because it it managed a 3.5x opening weekend multiplier despite the fact that it opened to $158M, not because a 3.5x multiplier in itself is particularly impressive. For instance, 21 Jump Street had much better drops this year.

Same goes for The Hunger Games. At best, it will get a 2.65x opening weekend multiplier. Not all that impressive a number in itself, but it is when you consider the movie opened to $152M.

Scarecrow

I watched B-ship last night with DBOX. It wasn't that great of a movie, but the added rumble of the seats at least made it an entertaining experience.

artist

Banned
The answer is that he is not correct. He is scaling down from smaller movies, and that isn't how things work. We say that TDK had great legs because it it managed a 3.5x opening weekend multiplier despite the fact that it opened to $158M, not because a 3.5x multiplier in itself is particularly impressive. For instance, 21 Jump Street had much better drops this year.

Same goes for The Hunger Games. At best, it will get a 2.65x opening weekend multiplier. Not all that impressive a number in itself, but it is when you consider the movie opened to $152M.
Not really.

TDK had good legs, not 3.5x but 3.36x. I think you mixed it up with SM1 which had one of the best (third) legs for a comic adaptation so far (in the last 20+ years). Based on the drops so far, Avengers is looking at a run closer to Thor's rather than TDK's, for obvious reasons. That still gives it 570M+ which is not a small number by any means. That would mean that Avengers will have the weakest legs in the top 5 and top 10. What he probably meant was that people are now reeling in their estimates, when original some had thought this would outgross Avatar (lol), Titanic (w re-release), the chance of that is now slim to none.

As for THG, it still is an impressive run. 2.65x multiplier is nothing to sneeze at when you consider the movies in its genre hover around the 2x mark. Not only the legs but the opening weekend also had amazing numbers, especially for the first book of the series.

XiaNaphryz

Heard a movie review of this on one of the local morning radio talk shows. Guy basically goes "horrible acting, horrible writing - but I still had fun." He also called it a "far better film than John Carter," lol.

Fast forward to the 7:30 mark at this link for anyone bored to listen to their snarky review:

http://radioalice.cbslocal.com/?podc...S.MUSIC.KLLCFM

Slayven

It's funny Hollywood tried to shove the Twilight Cast down our throats but they haven't done shit.

Heard a movie review of this on one of the local morning radio talk shows. Guy basically goes "horrible acting, horrible writing - but I still had fun." He also called it a "far better film than John Carter," lol.

Fast forward to the 7:30 mark at this link for anyone bored to listen to their snarky review:

http://radioalice.cbslocal.com/?podc...S.MUSIC.KLLCFM

Link not working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom