• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office Est. 05•11-13 •12 - Depp/Burton bask in shadow of Whedon's Avengers

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Not really.

TDK had good legs, not 3.5x but 3.36x. I think you mixed it up with SM1 which had one of the best (third) legs for a comic adaptation so far (in the last 20+ years). Based on the drops so far, Avengers is looking at a run closer to Thor's rather than TDK's, for obvious reasons. That still gives it 570M+ which is not a small number by any means. That would mean that Avengers will have the weakest legs in the top 5 and top 10. What he probably meant was that people are now reeling in their estimates, when original some had thought this would outgross Avatar (lol), Titanic (w re-release), the chance of that is now slim to none.

As for THG, it still is an impressive run. 2.65x multiplier is nothing to sneeze at when you consider the movies in its genre hover around the 2x mark. Not only the legs but the opening weekend also had amazing numbers, especially for the first book of the series.

Thor is a bad template for the Avengers. Thor held up well in its second weekend, but was killed in week 3 by Pirates 4 which played to the exact same demographic. Pirates 4 also took most of Thor's 3D venues, opening in 4100+ theatres. Then the week after both the Hang-Over 2 and Kung Fu Panda 2 launched, taking even more screens from Thor. On top of that Bridesmaids and Fast 5 were still going strong.

What Avengers has going for it:

1) No major 3D competition until Memorial Day weekend. Avengers will keep all those 3D screens this weekend.
2) None of the holdovers besides the Avengers are making any money. Dark Shadows will be lucky if it makes 15M this weekend. All other holdovers will be under 5M.
3) All of the new releases added together will make less than Pirates 4 did.
4) It's still making big money, and is about the only family option currently (unless you want to count battleship).

Avengers will continue to hold onto a large proportion of screens and showtimes than Thor because it is making theatres a lot of cash, and there are no better options yet. I expect the Avengers to drop better than Thor this week and in its fourth weekend.

There is still no reason to doubt that the Avengers will continue to keep pace with the Dark Knight percentage wise for the next two weeks (especially with the holiday weekend in its fourth frame). That will be enough to push it to $600M, even if its has less than stellar holds in June. At this point I agree that a 3.36x multiplier for the Avengers is far fetched. That would give it a final tally of $695M. But I also think your $570M is lowballing things. The movie is going to pass $500M by the end of Memorial Day weekend.

WrikaWrek

Banned
That was the best part of the movie.

It's a bit weird that Battleship is very much like it, very funny in the first minutes and then, well.

Thursday's numbers are out.

@ERCboxoffice said:
Thursday's top movies: 1. THE AVENGERS $6.2M ($402M), 2. THE DICTATOR $2.8M ($7M), 3. DARK SHADOWS $1.7M ($38M)

TDK dropped 49% Thursday to Thursday, Avengers dropped 50%.
New fastest to 400M record 14 days vs TDK's 18 days

Busty

Banned
I'm rubbing my hands with glee at the prospect of Battleship totally shitting the bed at the box office this weekend. Esitmates range from the woeful ($27m!!!) to the more hopeful but still awful ($50M) for the three days.

I'm so thankful that people were able to see through the awful, cynical, lowest common denominator thinking that went into this laughable excuse of a film.

Though the flip side of this is that being Universal's most expensive film ever they cannot afford to have it bomb when their new owners Comcast have yet to be convinced by the studio and there is more at stake than just the prospect of a sequel to this nonsense.

Yeah, I highly doubt Battleship is better than John Carter.

Having seen both I can say that they are both crap but John Carter is at least a film, it's not a very good one.

Battleship is so creatively bankrupt as a film it barely manages to fulfill the minimum amount of entertainment you might expect from a film like this, spectacle and excitement.

It's a film based on a board game that started life as a game played with pencil and paper but instead of at least acknowledging this (much like 21 Jump St did) and having fun with it Battleship is po faced and take itself far, faaaar to seriously making everything even more dire and dull.

I'm hoping for a pretty significant increase today ~+150% would put us on a target for a 56M weekend... If it jumps more than that, 60M is in play...

witness

So variety is saying the drop for TA should be in the 40-50% range, but closer to 40% for a 50-60 million weekend. Just about matching TDK third weekend % drop.

So it should get really close to Episode 1s domestic numbers after this weekend. So it'll get fastest to 450 million, what is the fastest to 500 million though?

So variety is saying the drop for TA should be in the 40-50% range, but closer to 40% for a 50-60 million weekend. Just about matching TDK third weekend % drop.

So it should get really close to Episode 1s domestic numbers after this weekend. So it'll get fastest to 450 million, what is the fastest to 500 million though?

Avatar @ 32 days. So that gives TA 15 days to get another 50M, which I think is in the bank, so TA will own all of those records... (Fastest to 100M, 150M, 200M, 250M, 300M, 350M, 400M, 450M, 500M)

Thursday Numbers:

Avengers 6.2 (402 Million)
Dictator 2.8 (7 million)
Dark Shadows 1.7 (39 million)

Battleship midnight numbers: $420K midnights from 1,074 theaters

duckroll

Lol Battleshit. They should have opened last month like it did in the rest of the world. Might have stood a chance back then, when people had nothing else to watch.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Midnight wasn't going to be strong for it anyways. There is no hype or built in fanbase. LOL. Basically their money will come from a big budget, big advertisement campaign, and people who just want to see a movie(And saw Avengers already :p)

Avatar @ 32 days. So that gives TA 15 days to get another 50M, which I think is in the bank, so TA will own all of those records... (Fastest to 100M, 150M, 200M, 250M, 300M, 350M, 400M, 450M, 500M)

Opening in one thousand more theaters than Avvy and having no competition for nearly a month is certainly working out for TA and its record breaking performance.

Please Battleship, please sink Avengers.

MiB3 will end its reign. BS and TD were never going to challenge or even sweat TA.

Hey guys, nice avatars you got!

GxbRX.gif

Mondriaan

Dictator will "hurt" Avengers more than Battleship will.

It seems weird that there are still people who are interested in seeing Avengers that haven't already seen it at this point, but I think everything I've predicted about Avengers has been wrong, so, who knows?

Tobor

It seems weird that there are still people who are interested in seeing Avengers that haven't already seen it at this point, but I think everything I've predicted about Avengers has been wrong, so, who knows?

Dictator might not even be the #1 comedy this weekend. It's bombing hard.

kswiston

The Dictator will be lucky if it makes $20M this weekend.

I made a projection for the weekend after we got Tuesday's gross. My projected Wednesday's drop was too optimistic, but I was conservative on Thursday which made up for it a bit.

With a 6.2M Thursday, and fairly standard increases during the weekend:

Friday (up 145%) = $15.2M
Saturday (up 50%) = $22.8M
Sunday (down 35%) = $14.8M

Total = $52.8M

Personally I think that the Friday increase and the Sunday decreases might be a little better, pushing the total into the $55-60M range, but that should be the lower end of this weekend's gross.

It's a fun movie and there's no competition, not a surprise why people keep seeing it. That doesn't mean it will keep it up as more competition comes out. It could be argued that TA post OW success is mainly due to the very poor competition/owning most of the screens in theaters throughout the country.

There's also dat 3d tax.

Come on. The crowed for Battleship would be sleeping at midnight show :p

But seriously this movie is made for 11-17 years old. They will show up and watch the movie.

WrikaWrek

Banned
It's Universal's fault to put out big add budget movies like cowboys and aliens and battleship.

More Fast Five, and less of those pieces of shit.

I'm sure a huge chunk is repeat viewers at this point. But, it's one of those things where the bigger it gets, the more it will attract people who weren't interested before but are attracted by the zeitgeist of it all.

Jacob

Opening in one thousand more theaters than Avvy and having no competition for nearly a month is certainly working out for TA and its record breaking performance.

Come on, man. Avatar made a huge chunk of its money in January which is famous for being a shit month of movies. Like TA, it also had very little competition, especially once Sherlock and Alvin had run their course. No one is denying that Avatar had an amazing run and by this point it's clear that TA won't top its total, but it feels like you're grasping at straws here. ;)

I'm sure a huge chunk is repeat viewers at this point. But, it's one of those things where the bigger it gets, the more it will attract people who weren't interested before but are attracted by the zeitgeist of it all.

if that is what's happening, we should the WE numbers going up as they did when Avatar started to attract those who weren't interested initially.

Doubt it will happen, but it will be interesting to see if it does.

kswiston

Come on, man. Avatar made a huge chunk of its money in January which is famous for being a shit month of movies. Like TA, it also had very little competition. It feels like you're grasping at straws here. ;)

He is. Avatar was at $283M on December 31st. All of its competition launched in its second weekend, leaving it to clean up almost a half a billion in Jan and Feb.

Here was the release schedule for the first few weeks of January 2010:

Jan 1: No new releases
Jan 8: Daybreakers was the highest new release at $15M
Jan 15: Book of Eli was the highest new release at $32M
Jan 22: Legion was the highest new release at $17M
Jan 29: Edge of Darkness was the highest new release at $17M
Feb 5: Dear John finally kicks Avatar from first place with $30M

By that point Avatar had made $630M

No one is saying that Avatar didn't have out of this world legs, but the only major releases it faced were Sherlock Holmes and Alvin 2 in its second week. Book of Eli was the only movie with a decent opening beyond that until February. Pretty hard to say that Avatar had more competition than the Avengers beyond that second week, which was also one of the top 3 holiday weekends for movies.

Come on, man. Avatar made a huge chunk of its money in January which is famous for being a shit month of movies. Like TA, it also had very little competition, especially once Sherlock and Alvin had run their course. No one is denying that Avatar had an amazing run and by this point it's clear that TA won't top its total, but it feels like you're grasping at straws here. ;)

The fact remains there was competition, what competition has TA faced since being released? Serious question.

SH and Alvin were still doing well and I'm pretty sure BoE came out second/third week of Jan, week after saw Legion and Tooth Fairy.

So yeah, it had a steady stream of competition from day one, unlike TA which hasn't had to prove itself and won't be in any kind of danger until next weekend.

kswiston

The fact remains there was competition, what competition has TA faced since being released? Serious question.

SH and Alvin were still doing well and I'm pretty sure BoE came out second/third week of Jan, week after saw Legion and Tooth Fairy.

So yeah, it had a steady stream of competition from day one, unlike TA which hasn't had to prove itself and won't be in any kind of danger until next weekend.

No wide release movies launched in Avatar's third weekend. None.

duckroll

- 3D tax
- Showing on more screens
- No competition

Will your terrible excuses ever end? It's hilarious to see you scramble to make justifications on how it's some super obvious perfect storm of conditions for The Avengers to do so well, when you were the one who was so sure it was going to flop anyway. So according to you, a movie which has this terrible unfair advantage of 3D tax, opening in over a thousand screens more than Avatar, and having no competition at all for weeks, was supposed to have only done $250 million domestic BO in total? LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom