• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woman heard "be not afraid" before cure sealing John Paul II's sainthood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suffering a potentially fatal swelling in the brain, Costa Rican grandmother Floribeth Mora says a voice spoke to her through a photograph of the late Pope John Paul II, miraculously curing her and sealing the late pontiff's sainthood.

The Vatican said on Friday Pope Francis had approved Mora's cure as the requisite second miracle for the sainthood of John Paul II, who led the Roman Catholic Church from 1978 to 2005.

Mora says she was diagnosed with an aneurysm in a cerebral artery on April 14, 2011 and sent home from the hospital with the warning she could be dead within a month, although the surgeon who made the diagnosis denies he gave such a warning.

According to Mora, she drifted off to sleep in the early hours of May 1, 2011 after watching a mass on television to mark the beatification of John Paul II, who died in 2005.

She says she prayed to the late pope to heal her, and when she awoke, her eyes fell on a picture of him she had on top of the television.

"I woke up when I heard a voice that said 'get up,'" Mora, now 50, said on Friday at the Roman Catholic Church's administrative offices in San Jose, showing the clipping. "I was alone in my room, I only had this clipping that was published around those dates to commemorate John Paul II's papacy."

"I had it in front of me and I heard a voice again that said 'get up' and I looked at his photo and saw his open arms and I heard a voice that said 'be not afraid' and I said 'Yes Lord,'" she added between tears, a golden rosary hanging around her neck.

"I went to my husband and he asked me what I was doing and I just said 'I feel fine, I feel fine, I feel fine.'"

In a written statement distributed by the Church, Mora said she had been warned that she likely only had a short time to live.

"I was even warned that it would not be more than a month," she said.

The neurosurgeon who admitted and diagnosed Mora, however, denies he gave her a month to live. Alejandro Vargas says he forecast only a 2 percent chance Mora could bleed into her brain again within a year of her diagnosis, possibly killing her.

"She was sent home with medication that would reduce her blood pressure and was advised to improve her diet so as not to raise her cholesterol levels and thus decrease the chance of her having a second bleeding episode. She was sedated because the headaches were too sharp," he told Reuters. "We didn't send her home to be sedated and wait until she died in her sleep."

NO EXPLANATION

However, Vargas cannot explain how Mora's aneurysm disappeared.

"What we found remarkable, unbelievable really, was that by November there was absolutely no trace in her brain that she ever had an aneurysm," he said. "I had never seen this in my career."

Before he was beatified, the late John Paul had already been credited with asking God to cure a French nun of Parkinson's disease, the same malady he himself had suffered from.

Mora lives in a small house in the eastern province of Cartago, around 14 miles southeast of the capital, San Jose, with her husband, Carlos Arce, and their youngest child.

On the doorstep of their small, tidy house, she has erected a shrine to John Paul II.

A large printed image of the first Polish pope is decorated with colorful plastic flowers and Christmas lights. Resting on the pope's portrait is a piece of paper confirming the diagnosis of her aneurysm.

Not everyone accepts her accounts as a miracle, her husband said.

"We've faced a lot of non-believers these last two years," he said.

A few days ago, their youngest son showed his mother some posts on Facebook from people who didn't believe that what happened to her was an act of God.

"It's been very hard on her, those messages did nothing but make her cry," Arce said.
www.reuters.com/article/2013/07/05/us-vatican-johnpaul-costarica-idUSBRE9640WP20130705

I wonder if he was speaking Spanish to her?

This all seems incredibly forced. He was a great man, but miracle worker he was not.

Whether or not miracles even exist is an entirely different matter....

gdt

Fuck it, whatever helps these people try to be happy. Delusion could be a gift I guess.

completely laughable.

fucking miracles, really? hearing voices and recovering from whatever have nothing to do with anything supernatural or magical, they are normal things that happen every day.

Leucrota

Why didn't she die and go to the best place in the universe (heaven) instead? How is it a miracle to be allowed to stay on this damnedable planet?

JDSN

Banned
Interesting that there is no trace of it, cant thing of any obvious reason for this besides a false negative in the control CAT. I doubt the neurosurgeon would lend himself to be a part of some sham.

Fari

8jbomNk.gif

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I have to double-check: what year is this again?

Liha

Banned
The pope was a normal human, not more and not less. I was 9 months in a hospital radiology for my community service, that cannot be true.

thefit

She had swelling in the brain and she heard a picture talk. Their is no argument it was a miracle.

Edit: damit napoleon!

Jackpot

Banned
Ignoring obvious things like declaring things miracles after they've decided to canonize him, how does the church reconcile "God can't interfere directly in the world" with "God performs miracles through all these saints we keep making"? Miracles can happen in this day and age on a whim but when it comes to things that really matter like starvation in the 3rd world he just goes fuck 'em?

The neurosurgeon who admitted and diagnosed Mora, however, denies he gave her a month to live. Alejandro Vargas says he forecast only a 2 percent chance Mora could bleed into her brain again within a year of her diagnosis, possibly killing her.

"She was sent home with medication that would reduce her blood pressure and was advised to improve her diet so as not to raise her cholesterol levels and thus decrease the chance of her having a second bleeding episode. She was sedated because the headaches were too sharp," he told Reuters. "We didn't send her home to be sedated and wait until she died in her sleep."

What a miracle

snap0212

Not sure if I should dislike him because he was the head of the Catholic Church or because he was able of make miracles happen but didn't do it 8 hours a day.

I posted a rant that sort of included this yesterday. Fucking news covered this for like half the broadcast on all time slots.

Its never some one from an educated country. God hates education!

Costa Rica has one of the best education systems in Latin America. It's the network that spread this propaganda shit.

So don't go around talking like we were all a bunch of uneducated morons (it's just some of us like in every country).

I of course assume she wasn't getting any sort of medical treatment and thus it was truly a miracle.

I also assume any affliction of the brain would of course never include auditory hallucinations.

Those two assumptions are the only way anyone could take that article at face value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom