• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Women's March on Washington calls for General Women's Strike on March 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

WedgeX

Banned
Updated for the second time:

Now announced: March 8th.

Support by:

Women's March on Washington said:
1. Wear RED in solidarity
2. Women strike from paid and unpaid work
3. Everyone buys local or don't buy at all

Want to meet up on Wednesday in NYC?

On a #DayWithoutAWoman, we will gather in New York City for a show of solidarity and revolutionary love. Meet us at 12pm at the intersection of 5th Ave & 59th St.

Why red?

On 3/8, we wear RED as a symbol of revolutionary love and sacrifice. Red is the color of energy and action associated with our will to survive. It signifies a pioneering spirit and leadership qualities, promoting ambition and determination. It also has a history of being associated with the labor movement. #DayWithoutAWoman

WIYmvSp.png

In the spirit of women and their allies coming together for love and liberation, we offer A Day Without A Woman. We ask: do businesses support our communities, or do they drain our communities? Do they strive for gender equity or do they support the policies and leaders that perpetuate oppression? Do they align with a sustainable environment or do they profit off destruction and steal the futures of our children?

We saw what happened when millions of us stood together in January, and now we know that our army of love greatly outnumbers the army of fear, greed and hatred. On March 8th, International Women's Day, let's unite again in our communities for A Day Without A Woman. Over the next few weeks we will be sharing more information on what actions on that day can look like for you.

In the meantime, we are proud to support Strike4Democracy's F17 National Day of Action to Push Back Against Assaults on Democratic Principles. This Friday, February 17th, gather your friends, families, neighbors, and start brainstorming ideas for how you can enhance your community, stand up to this administration, integrate resistance and self-care into your daily routine, and how you will channel your efforts for good on March 8th.

Remember: this is a marathon, not a sprint. #DayWithoutAWoman #WomensMarch

And GAF's own Women's March OT for the 100 Days of Action.

And their demands?

Endorsed by Amnesty International.
An explanation article by Vox.
More from Teen Vogue, which has been surprisingly political since the election.
One school district will be closed due to the strike.

Original:

Via their facebook page.

WzTKtjC.png

No date as of yet.

Sad that America has so eroded worker's rights that people trying to take off for this might experience their own financial burdens.

Platy

Sad that the chance of women on the White House following the strike are almost zero

But it is a genious idea.

They could double as a sex strike too

What's with taking a day off work=strike with this and that odd thing for this past Friday?

This isn't a voice of opposition, please don't be mistaken. I just don't see how effective a general strike will be without significant organization and a clear goal that may also help avoid these women from losing their jobs.

Via their facebook page.

WzTKtjC.png

No date as of yet.

Sad that America has so eroded worker's rights that people trying to take off for this might experience their own financial burdens.

When has protesting ever been about it being easy?
This is a weird thought. Like we have workers rights because people took risks like this. Going on strike is a risk, but the idea is your actions will spur the needed change.

Dirca

This is a weird thought. Like we have workers rights because people took risks like this. Going on strike is a risk, but the idea is your actions will spur the needed change.
Yeah, it will be a big change when you've lost your job since you decided protesting was more important. (Unless of course the protest is on non working hours or you burn vacation to do it)

WedgeX

Banned

When my old union threatened to go on strike, the union had coffers from which to help people pay the bills. One of the main reasons that unions collect dues. Unfortunately that represents less than 15% of workers in the US now. And alas for most Americans we're a country full of people in debt with little savings.

studyguy

Must be something else to see your actions causing nation wide protests on the daily while still trying to blow smoke up people's asses at the same time. Hope all the protests make the man lose his shit as they already have.

Savitar

Reminds me of how some women in a village got so sick of their men fighting with a nother lot the women basically refused to do anything, including sex. Eventually the men folded because....well, they liked their sex a lot more than killing or hurting people.

Ridisc

Banned
Have they seriously released a formal list of what it is they want? I cant seem to find one, genuinely curious.

Hate to say it, but I'd imagine a lot of employers won't take kindly to this, whereas I think a lot of companies were fully behind the Women's March.

Yeah, it will be a big change when you've lost your job since you decided protesting was more important. (Unless of course the protest is on non working hours or you burn vacation to do it)
This inherently against the point of a strike. You make a choice with the knowledge knowing that you can lose everything.

When my old union threatened to go on strike, the union had coffers from which to help people pay the bills. One of the main reasons that unions collect dues. Unfortunately that represents less than 15% of workers in the US now. And alas for most Americans we're a country full of people in debt with little savings.

Yes, but this risk is still there. (those coffers aren't unlimited)

I worked for a union and had to talk to workers about strikes. You never go on a strike if your not willing to risk it all. To treat it like many unions do now as a paid day off limits the radical power of withholding labor.

Dirca

This inherently against the point of a strike. You make a choice with the knowledge knowing that you can lose everything.
If you're single and the risk of losing your job has no effect on anyone but you, I can stand by that. However, as the sole provider for a wife and 2 kids, there is NOTHING worth losing my job over

lazygecko

These threads speak volumes about just how fucked worker rights are in the US and how much it really cripples them.

This is a good piece about why talk of a general strike is silly in the US right now

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2017/02/...p-womens-march-immigration-ban-ludlow-strike/

Even when not violent or repressed, strikes are serious business. They are often lost, and if strikers aren’t injured they can lose their jobs, friends, and even families. The law is pitted heavily against workers — they can be replaced, they lose free speech rights when at work, even the whiff of strike activity allows employers to shut down the entire factory, and legal protections of workers are poorly enforced.

It would be reasonable for workers to dismiss the call for a general strike. It looks like they are being asked to be actors in someone else’s drama, by people who just cottoned on to the fact that things are shitty out there.

Moreover, even moderately effective general strikes don’t emerge, willy-nilly, like miraculous interventions into national life. They are intensifications and radicalizations of already existing patterns of resistance by the working class. This demand for a general strike looks less like that intensification and more like an attempt to leapfrog all the hard, long-term political work that goes before.

At least some of those arguing for the general strike seem to sense that there is an element of bad faith here. For instance, Francine Prose added the qualification, which I have seen repeated in a number of places, that only those “who can do so without being fired” should go on strike. This must be the first time someone called for a general strike but exempted most of the working class.

Believe me, I’d love to see a real general strike, a serious attempt at restructuring society, not just lopping the head off the Republican hydra. But there is no royal road to revolution, or even to a true mass movement for social change.

Strikes are not simple protests and treating them like that diminishes labor's power even more

If you're single and the risk of losing your job has no effect on anyone but you, I can stand by that. However, as the sole provider for a wife and 2 kids, there is NOTHING worth losing my job over

You missing the point of what I'm saying. If you have no risk of losing your jobs its not a strike.

The center-left in this country is really bad at labor. Our generation is so generally disconnected with the labor movement and solidarity.

It sucks

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Wasting a general strike without at least one solid demand for specific legislation would be borderline offensive to the point of a general strike.

Dirca

You missing the point of what I'm saying. If you have no risk of losing your jobs its not a strike.
I hear you loud and clear. I'm saying me, personally, it's not worth losing a lucrative job over. Yes, I'm a selfish person, but my family's safety and comfort come first. For those willing to risk what I'm not, Godspeed, I truly hope it works out for them and they get whatever it is they want and don't face losing their means of survival.

Acorn

General strikes have erosion of workers rights and relative "comfort"(for lack of a better term) working against them.

I mean I'm all for it but since the 70s/80s direct action has been almost entirely nullified. A loose leadership structure sorta organisation without any goal (yet?) has even more shit working against it than unions banding together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom