• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm |OT| of Who the hell is Deathwing, anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

notworksafe

EXNQV.jpg

After a wait of two years, the time is almost here! On Tuesday, December 7th, 12:00AM PST, the newest expansion of World of Warcraft will finally be released! CATACLYSM!

Only a few short weeks ago, players experienced the Shattering: a decimation of Azeroth brought about by Deathwing The Destroyer, leader of the Black Dragonflight. With the release of Cataclysm, players can begin their journey to take down Deathwing and save Azeroth once again.

Cataclysm Final Trailer - The World Reborn

To go along with this expansion, both the Alliance and Horde factions will gain new allies in their fight!

pqj6L.jpg

Originally the slaves of jungle trolls on the Isle of Kezan, the goblin race was forced to mine kaja'mite ore out of the volcanic bowels of Mount Kajaro.

The trolls used this potent mineral for their voodoo rituals, but it had an unexpected effect on the slaves who were in constant contact with it: kaja'mite generated a startling new cunning and intelligence in the goblins. Crafting their own powerful artifacts of engineering and alchemy in secret, the goblins soon overthrew their oppressors and claimed Kezan for their homeland. The mines that had been their prison, their slave camp, and the base of their rebellion now became the city of Undermine. Weaving through the heart of the island in a dizzying network of tunnels, vaults, and lava tubes, Undermine epitomizes the goblins' complex, unpredictable mindset.

The goblins' natural greed soon lifted them to prominence as masters of mercantilism. Trade princes arose during the First War as the cleverest goblins learned to take advantage of the strife. Great fortunes were amassed, and the Isle of Kezan became a hub for fleets of goblin trading ships. One of the trade princes agreed to lend his faction's services to the Horde in the Second War. Following the Horde's defeat, the goblins learned from their colleague's failed example, and soon they realized that their profits could double if they weren't stuck in such a restrictive relationship. By the end of the Third War, goblins were providing weaponry, vehicles, and devious services to both the Horde and the Alliance. This wouldn't last forever...

Recently, the goblins of Kezan have found a new enemy in the Alliance – unexpected and unprofitable encounters with this faction have driven certain trade princes from their comfortable neutrality. Reforging old pacts with their one-time allies, the goblins have been welcomed into the Horde with open arms

Goblin Intro Video

mq81n.png

Available Classes:
Death Knight, Hunter, Mage, Priest, Rogue, Shaman, Warlock, Warrior

Goblin Racial Spells:

Rocket Jump (2 min cooldown, shared with Rocket Barrage)
Activates your rocket belt to jump forward.

Rocket Barrage (2 min cooldown, shared with Rocket Jump)
Launches your belt rockets at an enemy, dealing X-Y fire damage (24-30 at level 1; 1654-2020 at level 80). This ability is off the global cooldown.

Time is Money (passive)
Cash in on a 1% increase to attack and casting speed.

Best Deals Anywhere (passive)
Always receive the best discount regardless of faction standing.

Pack Hobgoblin (30 min cooldown)
Calls in your friend, Gobber, allowing you bank access for 1 min.

Better Living Through Chemistry (passive)
Alchemy skill increased by 15.

Goblin Male Dance
Goblin Female Dance

xN9pL.jpg

The worgen's first verified appearance in the Eastern Kingdoms has been traced back to the Third War, when the archmage Arugal utilized the wolf-beasts as a weapon against the Scourge. Arugal's weapons soon turned against him, however, as the curse of the worgen rapidly spread among the human population, transforming ordinary men and women into ravenous, feral creatures. They sieged the keep of the noble Baron Silverlaine. Situated above the tiny hamlet of Pyrewood, the keep quickly fell into shadow and ruin.

Driven mad with guilt, Arugal adopted many of the worgen as his own and retreated to Silverlaine's former mansion, the estate now known as Shadowfang Keep. The curse, however, was not contained. It persisted in the lands of Silverpine and extended even into the fabled walled nation of Gilneas, where the curse rapidly reached pandemic levels.

The citizens of Gilneas found themselves trapped, with no hope of escape. They retreated deeper within the isolated domain, and there they survived, fearful of the savage presence that lurked just outside the barricades. Tensions among the displaced citizens escalated over time, resulting in a civil war that now threatens to destabilize the embattled nation even more.

Records indicate that the worgen existed for a time in Kalimdor. In fact, more recent evidence suggested that their true origin might have a connection to the night elves and a secretive druidic order from Kalimdor's distant past. This proved to be correct as the curse originated from a druidic sect who followed Goldrinn, known as Druids of the Scythe. They shapeshifted into the feral worgen and eventually lost their minds to its violent nature. The other Druids agreed that they must be locked away, and thus put them into eternal slumber deep beneath a tree... until the day Arugal and Velinde Starsong tampered with the Scythe of Elune. It was the night elves, after all, who created the curse in the first place. Obliged to help their newfound allies, they re-introduce them to the Alliance.

Worgen Intro Video

zAWZz.jpg
2BG6O.jpg

Available Classes:
Death Knight, Druid, Warrior, Hunter, Mage, Priest, Rogue, Warlock

Worgen Racial Spells:

Darkflight (3 min cooldown)
Activates your true form, increasing movement speed by 40% for 10 sec.

Viciousness (passive)
Increases critical strike chance by 1%.

Aberration (passive)
Increases your resistance to harmful Nature and Shadow effects by 1.

Flayer (passive)
Skinning skill increased by 15 and allows you to skin 0.5 seconds faster.

Two Forms (1.5 sec cooldown) (video)
Transforms you between human and worgen forms. You will revert to worgen form in combat.

Running Wild (1.5 sec cooldown)
Drop to all fours to run as fast as a wild animal. (Worgen "Mount")

Worgen Male Dance
Worgen Female Dance

NqWuY.jpg

The Shattering of Azeroth has revealed historical remains and artifacts all over Azeroth (as well as Outland and Northrend). These sites can be explored by players through the new secondary professions of Archaeology.

Archaeology is avaiable to study 12 different cultures that have had an impact on the Warcraft universe:

Dwarf (level 1 - Eastern Kingdoms)
Fossil (level 1 - Eastern Kingdoms)
Night Elf (level 1 - Kalimdor)
Troll (level 1 - Eastern Kingdoms)
Draenei (level 300 - Outland)
Orc (level 300 - Outland)
Nerubian (level 375 - Northrend)
Vrykul (level 375 - Northrend)
Tol'vir (level 450 - new Cataclysm zones)

Sites

Once Archaeology is trained, you can see digsites on your map (not mini-map). There are always four dig sites per continent. These will not change until you dig one out.
You only find sites in zones of your level or lower. A level 25 character will have all 4 sites per continent in level 25 zones. This means that no dig sites will appear for that character in Outland or Northrend until he reaches a minimum level for the zones.

For instance, a low level character on Kalimdor might have sites in Ashenvale and Stonetalon, where a level 82 might have ones in Uldum, Ashenvale, Stonetalon, and Silithus.
Sites are race specific. You can usually guess the race by the location. Some race locations are only available on some continents. You need both a minimum character level and a minimum archaeology level to use some sites.
Dig sites are player specific. There is no competition for dig sites.

Fragments

Each digsite can be searched 3 times before it despawns and a new site spawns. To search a digsite, use the [Survey] ability. The Survey tool will spawn and point in the approximate direction of the artifact. Red means you are far away, Yellow means you are close, Green means you may be within 40 yards or so. When you discover your find, you'll get fragments specific to a particular race.

There are two main strategies to surveying. You can attempt to triangulate by moving around the outer edge of a digsite. Other people orienteer, simply heading off in the direction indicated until they strike paydirt.

Artifacts

When you get a new fragment, you'll start a research project. You can only work on one artifact per race at a time. When you have enough fragments, click Solve to complete that artifact. You won't waste excess fragments, they will just start the next project.

Most artifacts are common. These give a bit of lore or flavor text and an item you can sell for a small profit. You can estimate the value of the artifact by the number of fragments required to finish it.

Subsequent instances of a given artifact for a race will not be solvable until all the available artifacts of that race and skill level have been found at least once (with the exception of rare artifacts).

Some artifacts are rare, and make a blue or purple item. Many of these are toys, or for flavor, but some are actual weapons and armor. Weapons and armor are bound to account, but will not scale like heirlooms do. Also, such artifacts can only be solved once per character.

New Zones
What would an new MMO be without new zones to in which to adventure? Well Cataclysm has plenty! (images are clickable)

PvP Zones

Would you rather be fighting other players instead of enemy monsters? There's two new zones for you to do just that in Cataclysm!

PvE 5-Man Dungeons
The perfect way to cut your teeth against the minions of Deathwing!

Also in Cataclysm are Heroic level 85 versions of the Classic dungeons Shadowfang Keep and Deadmines!

10 and 25-man Raid Dungeons
Once you are geared up, it'll be time to take on some bigger bosses and show Deathwing you mean business!

Rated Battlgrounds

Tired of the Arena players being the only ones with PvP Ratings? No longer, battleground lovers! Rated Battlegrounds are here!

Rated Battlegrounds are broken up into 10v10 and 15v15 brackets and those brackets rotate weekly.

10v10
Warsong Gulch
Battle for Gilneas
Twin Peaks

15v15
Arathi Basin
Eye of the Storm
Strand of the Ancients

Rated Battlegrounds can earn you rewards like gear, titles, epic ground mounts, conquest points, and guild achievements and levels.

Guild Advancement

Guild Advancement is a feature announced during BlizzCon 2009 which will allow guilds to level in a way similar to characters. There will be 25 levels for a guild to progress through. Experience towards level progression is gained through guild member participation in raid boss kills, battleground victories, Arena victories, and profession skill-ups. To qualify for guild XP, a raid or PvP group must have been composed of at least 75% guild members. Participating in these will also grant players reputation with the guild, which allows them to buy guild-bound items like heirlooms and raid materials with gold.
http://www.wowpedia.org/Guild_Advancement

Regular Edition (click for Amazon)

Collector's Edition (good luck finding one!)

CATACLYSM EXCLUSIVE BEHIND-THE-SCENES DVD:

• Over an hour of developer interviews and commentaries, discussing the game's development from early design through finished gameplay.
• The Cataclysm intro cinematic and major content patch trailers complete with Director's Commentary.
• A special Warcraft retrospective examining the rich gaming history of the Warcraft universe.

COLLECTOR'S EDITION SOUNDTRACK:

• Seventeen epic tracks from Cataclysm.

THE ART OF CATACLYSM:

• 176 pages of art, featuring never-before-seen images from the archives of the Blizzard Film Department and the World of Warcraft development team.
• Progressive visuals from every stage of development - from early concepts through to finished, detailed art.

WORLD OF WARCRAFT®: CATACLYSM™ PC/MAC GAME:

• The full World of Warcraft expansion set on DVD-ROM.

WORLD OF WARCRAFT TRADING CARD GAME STARTER PACKS AND EXCLUSIVE CARDS:

• One 60-card deck from the new Wrathgate series featuring two extended art cards and visuals from several of fantasy's top creators.
• Two exclusive hero cards, marking the first appearance of goblin and worgen heroes in the WOW:TCG.
• One full-sized rule book to teach you how to play.

EXCLUSIVE IN-GAME PET:

• He may not be a breaker of worlds... at least not yet... but Lil' Deathwing will still aid you in your titanic struggle to save Azeroth from his much, much larger counterpart.

CATACLYSM MOUSEPAD:

• A special-edition mouse pad depicting Deathwing menacing the ravaged continents of Azeroth.

Digital Edition (click for preorder page)

What if I want to play with GAF?
There's no "official" GAF server or guild, but we have congregated in a few places:
US Servers: At the moment the unofficial GAF server is Area 52 Hordeside. I'm in a guild there that has quite a few GAF people, so just toss me a PM if you want to play or whisper my characters Aurayouready or Bonnietyler.

If you want to play Alliance on US side, go to Stormscale server. Either PM The Lamonster or send a whisper to his characters in game: Lamonster or Astelynne.

EU Servers: Aggramar Alliance side is your server. Not sure about a guild or who to PM for info.

There is also a running spreadsheet of GAF WoW players. Please add yourself or check to see if any GAFs play on your server!
Submission Form
Viewable Spreadsheet

Links:
MMO-Champion - for a breakdown of more new stuff and more cool pics
WoWPedia - For more Warcraft lore action
NeoGAF World of Warcraft |OT| - Come chat with the rest of us super nerds

Also...if anyone wants to give the new world a shot and has previously subscribed, hit up one of the people below in a PM with your Battle.net email or Character Name and Server and they will send you a Scroll of Resurrection (10 day trial) as long as you don't have a Wrath of the Lich King account. You must not have played in the last 90 days (trials included) to get a Scroll.

US Scrolls:
Ridli
Sai-kun
mcrae
Artadius
CarbonatedFalcon
Oni Link 666

EU Scrolls:
Grampasso
profit

ahh, im thinking of making my male undead rogue a female goblin out of boredom :lol but twenty five dollars is steep. We will see

Horde. Shattered Hand here

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
BUT AT LAST, THE WHOLE OF AZEROTH WILL BREAK! AND ALL WILL BURN, BENEATH THE SHADOW OF MY WINGS!

Great OT!

Entropia

No One Remembers
Artadius said:
Woot.

Whisperwind Alliance represent.

I have scrolls available if needed. PM me if so.

Oh really, and who might you be on there?

EDIT:

One thing that wasn't really mentioned is the way that raiding has changed. Let's take a look back:

Vanilla: Number of people per raid was set by Blizzard. The "Main" raids were 40-mans. The sub-raids were 15-20. Each raid offered gear unique to it. The smaller number raids gear was weaker than what was available through the equivalent 25 man raids.

The Burning Crusade: Number of people per raid was set by Blizzard. The Main raids were 25-mans, and there were 2 10 man raids. Each raid offered gear unique to it. Gear available through the 10 man raids were weaker than what was available through the equivalent 25 man raids.

Wrath of the Lich King: All raids were now able to be done with either 10 or 25 people. The loot that was available in 10 main raids were different (and "weaker") than what was available in the 25 man raids. Raids now also offered a "Heroic"/"Hard" modes. This was done in the early raids by an in-fight mechanic (ie leaving the sub-bosses up in the Obsidian Sanctum - hard mode was activated after engaging), later this was done by a toggle by the raid leader(You selected that you wanted to do the boss/raid on heroic and toggled it before engaging). These hard/heroic modes dropped higher quality items of the same name. (ie a trinket would be the same, but the heroic one was better)

Cataclysm: Another change in the raiding paradigm. All raids are able to be done with either 10 or 25 people, the loot that drops will be the same, the only difference is the amount of loot (ie 2 pieces in a 10 man, 4 pieces in a 25 man). Hard/heroic modes will be activated via a toggle by the raid leader, only available after they have cleared the instance on it's non-heroic/hard mode. The difference between normal mode and hard/heroic mode loot remains the same

(Feel free to correct anything in there)

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I'm still only level 48! I told myself I'd get to 60 before the release of Cata. I'm not devoted enough.

Zertez

With all the changes to WoW and this expansion, it has peaked my interest and Im thinking about resubscribing. Glad school is almost out and I wont tank my grades :lol

Artadius

Entropia said:
Oh really, and who might you be on there?
<----- GM Eternal Legacy / Exile though these days my main is my druid, Vendiel. Our guild is much much more casual these days though.

hitsugi

Zertez said:
With all the changes to WoW and this expansion, it has peaked my interest and Im thinking about resubscribing. Glad school is almost out and I wont tank my grades :lol

yeah school + work + fiancee = no wow for me D:

this will be the first expansion i haven't played through on day 1.. used to be fun to roll a new character and go through the game

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
"Cataclysm will ship with three end-game raid dungeons and a PvP-unlocked raid dungeon"

"Baradin Hold, a raid dungeon on the islands of Tol Barad unlocked by winning the PvP battle, featuring a single boss (with additional bosses in future patches, like Vault of Archavon)"

Might want to add that!

Entropia

No One Remembers
Artadius said:
<----- GM Eternal Legacy / Exile though these days my main is my druid, Vendiel. Our guild is much much more casual these days though.

Yeah didn't Exile quit at the end of TBC/Early Wrath?

My character's name is the same my GAF name.

Yoshichan

fizzelopeguss said:
can you play as the gobbo's now, or expansion launch only?
Expansion launch only.

Sai-kun

Banned
Executus - Alliance
Azjol'Nerub - Alliance
Burning Legion - Horde

:D Send me a PM or something if anyone wants to play on those servers! I'm fairly well-established on Azjol/Executus, but I could use a leveling buddy on Burning Legion! :] If you've got a 20-something, lemme know!

Also yay, nice thread. I like the Archaeology banner :lol

Arsin

Woooot! Can not wait! I have not been this excited for an expansion since Burning Crusade. Great job on the OT.

Ridli

Woo! Skylawl
Skywall
represent!

Can't wait to hit up Uldum. I always love the titan zones. Also, Stonecore sounds like an awesome name for a Dwarf Metal Band.

notworksafe

Yoshichan said:
"Cataclysm will ship with three end-game raid dungeons and a PvP-unlocked raid dungeon"

"Baradin Hold, a raid dungeon on the islands of Tol Barad unlocked by winning the PvP battle, featuring a single boss (with additional bosses in future patches, like Vault of Archavon)"

Might want to add that!
Oops, added! I'm slightly tired, sorry! :lol

Entropia

No One Remembers
etiolate said:
They kept the shitty skining racial for Worgen? I thought they were going to replace that.

Flayer?

Yeah, it's a bit disappointing, but I can understand it. I mean, look at Tauren and the herbalism racial. One thing, I thought that the Worgen Flayer racial also meant that they didn't need a skinning knife. Did that get canned?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Entropia said:
Flayer?

Yeah, it's a bit disappointing, but I can understand it. I mean, look at Tauren and the herbalism racial. One thing, I thought that the Worgen Flayer racial also meant that they didn't need a skinning knife. Did that get canned?
No idea, but Elitist Jerks found that for at least a few Melee classes, the 1% critical strike is the best PvE racial for Alliance, especially when combined with the speed boost of Darkflight. The Goblin racials are even better.

notworksafe

Entropia said:
Flayer?

Not sure to be honest. That's why I didn't add it. There's lots of forums posts about it, but none with a Blue reply.

Chris R

Loving the new zones so far. Going to try to get my first alliance to 60 before the end of my month of play time. I'll sub up with my main account at some point (buying now to save $$$ since the exp won't drop in price between now and when I do resub), but the $5 to experience the new world was a great deal.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
If you haven't played in a while, note that you can now transfer characters from Horde to Alliance for 30 dollars, as well as the standard Realm transfers (which no longer have 30 day cooldowns)

Yoshichan

Jazzy Network said:
On Arthas as Alliance here. Have horde on Mal'Ganis as well.
Good thing you didn't make an alliance there :lol

mcrae

Zertez said:

i hate to be a dick.... but..... piqued

Rpgmonkey

Goblins have some pretty neat racial abilities. Might make one as my "main alt".

Not getting cata on launch day, hopefully my friends and some of my guild mates won't get too far past me with their two week head start.

I didn't know raids changed in that way. Hopefully it means heroics are going to be that much more interesting in terms of content/loot to make up for the change.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Rpgmonkey said:
Goblins have some pretty neat racial abilities. Might make one as my "main alt".

Not getting cata on launch day, hopefully my friends and some of my guild mates won't get too far past me with their two week head start.

I didn't know raids changed in that way. Hopefully it means heroics are going to be that much more interesting in terms of content/loot to make up for the change.

5 man dungeons are also not going to be the "AoE-Fests" that they currently are. You'll need to use CC here and there.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Scuba Steve said:
Ugh, I don't know if I should start playing WoW again, it looks like a lot of fun nowadays...

Been playing some free trial for the past week of the redone old world. Its improved in so many ways but i would say the game is still the same.

Edit: I haven't played in 2 years. Don't think ill Resub yet...

Angry Grimace

Raiding Info for people that skipped Wrath:

All raid zones have both 25 and 10 man modes. There is a single lockout for each raid, rather than a 10 and 25 player. The only functional difference between 10 and 25 player modes is that you gain more "Valor Points" (which is used to buy gear) from running 25 player mode; they drop the same loot. There is also an optional "heroic" mode for hardcore players which increases the difficulty significantly and allows Blizzard to allow casual players to access all of the content AND hardcore players to have the crazy challenges they love. Despite the reputation Wrath received as being casual friendly, the hardest Yogg-Saron and Lich King modes were among the hardest boss encounters Blizzard ever designed.

In Wrath of the Lich King, raid design was such that the major raids had between 12 to 15 bosses in huge complexes. Cataclsym dungeons are designed to hold between 4-6 bosses (with the exception of Baradin Hold, a loot pinata for PvP and Tier gear which is a "bonus" for factions that win the bi-hourly Tol Barad PvP battle), which is supposed be a way to help Blizzard push content much more frequently.

The other raids we currently know about are The Firelands and the Caverns of Time raid, The War of the Ancients. They may or may not be the next patched in raids.

Takuan

My friend hooked me up with a scroll and I started up a DK today. It's been a while; the game has aged fairly well, all things considered, and it helps that my PC runs it smoothly now.

I'll probably be re-rolling a Worgen DK when Cata hits next week, but for now I'm just re-familiarizing myself with the game mechanics and whatnot.

Evlar

Banned
My advice would be to roll anything BUT a DK right now. The old world and the +80 zones are the stars of the show at the moment, and DK is constructed to give you the longest delayed satisfaction in experiencing them.

But of course, that's just from the point of view of exploring the content. If DK's class mechanics are what you crave then by all means.

Rpgmonkey

Entropia said:
5 man dungeons are also not going to be the "AoE-Fests" that they currently are. You'll need to use CC here and there.

Yeah me and my friend have been discussing that a lot.

He's been playing for years and didn't like how some things turned out in Wrath (dungeons in particular), so he's pumped. I just hope the deaths/wipes from stupid/ignorant players doesn't stop being hilarious. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom