• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm |OT| of Who the hell is Deathwing, anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zlatko

Banned
So hyped! Been patiently waiting, although I was tempted a few times just to log in and start a new character until Cata, but managed to resist thanks to other games to occupy time with.

So much of this new music is great, but the old Stormwind music was much more awesome than the new one to me. :p

Carm

Lolligag said:
Yeah... You linked an alpha version of the female worgen. They look like this.

That isn't really a good pic. I had planned on race changing my main to Worgen on release day but I don't think I'm gonna just yet. I'm quite disappointed with how the female worgen turned out, has way to much of a lets get it on, furry look to it, male worgen looks fantastic. They needed to go more in the direction they went with the male worgen, female worgen eyes is one of the issues, half snarl from tmnt is another.

Animations are meh for both, I don't like the majority of player race animations in WoW. I may end up changing to one eventually but it's hard not playing a night elf female because I like the animations.

Here is my lvl 12 female worgen war from beta right towards the end of their starting area.

tophat.jpg

And here is DK Tier 11 (no helm, plate helm looks awful on worgen fems)

WoWScrnShot_112010_230732.jpg

strem

I canceled my account 3 days ago and not buying the xpac. I know if I buy it i'll be sucked in for at least another year. I've played the game since day 1 and when I logged on the other night and got the 6 year anniversary achievement, something inside me clicked. I've quit a couple other times but this time feels different. I'll check back in and let you all know if I was able to resist temptation

EDarkness

I leveled to 85 in Beta and I can't wait to do it again (but for real this time) in a couple of days. I've already seen pretty much all of the content, but it's gonna be good to keep what I've worked for. There are only two things I'm not looking forward to... leveling Archeology (such a boring and basically pointless profession), and the many deaths and wipes in heroics. I slogged through weeks and weeks of heroics and it was rare that I even finished a dungeon. Some people say it's fun to wipe and such (and I agree to some degree), but the way it is now is gonna cause a lot of people grief.

Still, I already have it installed, so I just need to wait for them to flip the switch and I'll be ready to go. Sad that I couldn't get the day off, though.

Knch

EDarkness said:
Sad that I couldn't get the day off, though.
I got the day off, and the day after that, and the day after that, and the day after that, then I have the whole weekend, 5 more days of work and then two more whole weeks off... (My main is a warlock :p)

I also have a few recruit a friend scrolls (20) if anyone needs one... (Europe, playing on Deathwing atm)

I'd love to play with EU-Gaf, but bummer that there is no contact information.

I mostly play on Kro'Gall, but I'm not against re-rolling on a different server if a good, EU-populated guild is accepting new members. :)

Kletian

Anyone in an EST Alliance Guild that a) can get shit done, and b) needs/wants a Rogue?

Kinda tired of my guild and server. Would love to find a guild that can progress while only raiding 2-3 nights a week.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'm ready for you Deathwing! Bring it on!

I'm still waiting for you to burn my tiny body for the achievement by the way. Stop hiding!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Bisnic said:
I'm ready for you Deathwing! Bring it on!

I'm still waiting for you to burn my tiny body for the achievement by the way. Stop hiding!
Same here. Where are you waiting for him?

Bisnic

Yoshichan said:
Same here. Where are you waiting for him?

I don't wait. Since it's pretty random, it could be anywhere. So i just run around doing all the new quests in every 1-60 zones while hoping he'll show up.

There is no point in waiting for hours in Redridge hoping for him to show up when he could avoid the zone for days.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
That's true, but I've heard multiple people getting the achievement in Wetlands. Apparently he hit the zone TWICE yesterday, which made me go there today :lol

taoofjord

I'd love to find some people to play with here... the only thing is that I'm going to be a casual player, only popping in an evening or two a week. Plus, I'm just in it to have fun, not to get the best equipment and max my level as quickly as possible.

My favorite part of WoW has always been exploring and seeing all the dungeons. So if anyone is looking for someone who doesn't get a boner for WoW stats when raiding dungeons then let me know!

edit: Ah, missed that in the OT... I'll join stormscale and try and play with other alliance US gaffers.

Hixx

Fuck. The website I pre-ordered from didn't get their stock today so won't be sending them till tomorrow at the earliest and with the weather I really doubt I'd get it on the tuesday. So I'm going to have to go down the DD route, extra fiver but guaranteed to be able to play on the monday night. Oh well :<

pre-order credit has gone on Sly Collection so not all bad I suppose.

Aurarian

I got hit in EPL while doing quests for the Loremaster achievements(I was already one pre-patch). it was funny because I had tabbed out to look some stuff up and then I tabbed back in and the sky was orange and red. I was like "OH FUCK, he's coming". I tried to run but it was too late, he bathed me in crimson flames while I cursed his name. :lol
Seriously though, he's really big. All I saw before he killed me was his face and that took up quite a bit of the screen.

Effect

Do they ever sell the Behind the Scenes DVDs separate? Going have to buy the digital version as it seems Amazon.com isn't doing release date delivery anymore for the game. They weren't last night it seems.

Big Chungus

I've stayed away from any Cataclysm information for about 9 months now, I want this experience to be fresh.

Anyone else doing this?

:D

I've been hit by Deathwing in E. Plagues.
I was right by the Infectis scar noticing it was a lake. (again?!)
He appeared in the sky and blanketed the area with flames.
Everything died. Except for the Argent Crusaders standing 5 yards away from me.

Screw you Argent Crusade. Screw You.

taoofjord said:
I'd love to find some people to play with here... the only thing is that I'm going to be a casual player, only popping in an evening or two a week. Plus, I'm just in it to have fun, not to get the best equipment and max my level as quickly as possible.

My favorite part of WoW has always been exploring and seeing all the dungeons. So if anyone is looking for someone who doesn't get a boner for WoW stats when raiding dungeons then let me know!

edit: Ah, missed that in the OT... I'll join stormscale and try and play with other alliance US gaffers.
Awesome! There's plenty of room on Stormscale, so you won't ever see those long queue times with some other servers. And it's a pretty good ratio of Alliance/Horde so the PVP never gets boring. Just send me a letter or PST:

Lamonster
Astelynne (alt)

ultron87

fna84 said:
I've stayed away from any Cataclysm information for about 9 months now, I want this experience to be fresh.

Anyone else doing this?

I haven't decided whether to read about all the new instances or not.

If I don't read about them I'll be surprised. If I do, I won't piss off whatever Dungeon Finder group I hit them with, since I'm still rolling solo after my last guild evaporated at some point in the 6 months since I stopped playing.

V_Arnold

fna84 said:

Anyone else doing this?

Totally. I have burnt out myself almost when reading everything about WOTLK. Now I am having geek chills down my spine when I realize THIS expansion is gonna actually surprise me :) Feels good.

Now, I have already caught some glimpses of the visual style thanks to the OP, but that is okay. I still cant recall a single dungeon or zone name from Cataclysm, so it will all be totally new.

Bisnic

ultron87 said:
I haven't decided whether to read about all the new instances or not.

If I don't read about them I'll be surprised. If I do, I won't piss off whatever Dungeon Finder group I hit them with, since I'm still rolling solo after my last guild evaporated at some point in the 6 months since I stopped playing.

Not everyone read MMOchampion or Wowhead everyday for every news & strategies of Cataclysm instances. Most of the people you will meet with the Dungeon Finder will have no idea how these new bosses will work for the first weeks.

I hope they nerf Goblin racials*, I don't want to have to roll an ugly Goblin just so I can get the best racials in the game, I mean damn they went overboard there.

*or buff everyone else... fat chance

Spookie

Talking of Goblins. What's the chance of changing race on tuesday with out any problems?

Kinda sick of my Troll female. :[

Kyoufu

Spookie said:
Talking of Goblins. What's the chance of changing race on tuesday with out any problems?

Kinda sick of my Troll female. :[

According to some dudes in my guild you'll have no trouble race changing on Cata launch. Apparently blue posters have confirmed this, but I'll believe it when I see it since you couldn't do that on TBC launch.

Hixx

Kyoufu said:
According to some dudes in my guild you'll have no trouble race changing on Cata launch. Apparently blue posters have confirmed this, but I'll believe it when I see it since you couldn't do that on TBC launch.

They've confirmed it cos theres no realm first levelling achievements of any kind this time. it's shit tho, i hate how they've set out their stall to cater to the 'WAH WAH WAH we want it NOW' crowd. fuckers.

Just got the DD edition, painless <3 long live digital distrubiton

Bisnic

HixxSAFC said:
They've confirmed it cos theres no realm first levelling achievements of any kind this time. it's shit tho, i hate how they've set out their stall to cater to the 'WAH WAH WAH we want it NOW' crowd. fuckers.

Hey now, im not part of that crowd, but i wont complain about being able to race change to Worgen at launch. As much as i love my female draenei warrior, i think they look better as casters, where their skinny goat legs are hidden inside their robe. Male Worgen warrior looks much more badass.

Entropia

No One Remembers
HixxSAFC said:

There's no realm first 85 achievements for the races, but there still is for the classes.

Xiaoki

The Worgen history in the OP sounds like yet another retcon.

I remember Arugal originally used the people of Pyrewood in his experiments to learn more about real Worgens(extra dimensional demons).

It also makes it sound like Arugal was a hero or something.

But whatever, they did this with the Draenei so why not do it again.

Spookie

Kyoufu said:

Yay *pisses money up Blizzards wall*

Talking of good news, Shopto just sent my copy via TNT today so it should be in work for Monday. \o/

Just when I though I was free. They hyped me back up again. ;(

Macattk15

You can only server xfer single characters right? Blizzard should allow you to move entire servers worth of characters for a slightly higher fee than per character. I'm so sick of my server, but have 5 80's on it that I will eventually want to play after leveling my new Worgen (with full heirlooms on the server) to 85.

So I have my first character I've been dragging along with my on and off time with WoW.

It's level 54 right now.

Are the rest of the zones, until 80, fun? Keep in mind that I have never been there before ; it's my first character. Edit : And as you can read, I'm not hardcore either. So I probably won't raid.

Macattk15

Littleberu said:
So I have my first character I've been dragging along with my on and off time with WoW.

It's level 54 right now.

Are the rest of the zones, until 80, fun? Keep in mind that I have never been there before ; it's my first character. Edit : And as you can read, I'm not hardcore either. So I probably won't raid.

If you've never even been in the rest of the zones, then yes they will be fun.

Shadowlink283

Neo Member
Littleberu said:

It's level 54 right now.

dude, keep it up, when you get to northrend you can do a lot of things, now you should go to the outlands which is gonna be funny, casue some guys are going to get you so hard you wouldn't even know who killed you lol, nah for reals keep going and check it yourself

Effect

Littleberu said:

It's level 54 right now.

I've found Outland to be a lot of fun to be honest. The design and story elements at times were interesting. There's a lot of variety there. My favorite expansion so far. I honestly wish they'd add to it as I'd like to quest there again.

When it comes to Northrend the first two zones you end up in (depending on how you travel there and I can only speak from the Alliance side) were boring. My favorite areas there were the Storm Peaks I think it's called and Icecrown. Both of those areas use the new phasing questing system a LOT. It really adds to the sense of accomplishment when questing there. It's why the Death Knight start is so fun I believe and I wish it was used more heavily in the the original world via the revamp. So for me the beginning of Northrend was a bit boring and I had to push myself a bit but you level quickly enough all things considered.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
If someone wants to send me a scroll of resurrection, my email is gdjustin at gmail.com. I have a WotLK account which isn't supposed to work, but others are reporting it DID work on their LK account.

So worth a shot, at least.

Home

Anyone in the beta able to tell me if horde and alliance start at the same quest point in Hyjal and the underwater zone? Trying to avoid PvP for the first night (more like alliance getting overrun :().

Pinzer

Unconfirmed Member
Effect said:
I've found Outland to be a lot of fun to be honest. The design and story elements at times were interesting. There's a lot of variety there. My favorite expansion so far. I honestly wish they'd add to it as I'd like to quest there again.

I really loved how they contextualized the Burning Crusade expansion. It was set up as this military march into an unknown land and when the expansion launched, it felt just like that. Everyone storming into Hellfire Peninsula, leveling as fast as possible. The energy was incredible.

But going back to it now seems strange, as its mostly empty and void of any urgency as Illidan and his cohorts have all been conquered.

For this expansion, the focus really seems to be the updated old content. The new endgame zones and raids really don't seem that compelling. The zones are scattered and they practically invented villains (I know they didn't, but this is the first time we've heard about them in WoW). I wish they would spend more time creating new villains in expansions so we'd have a history with them a few expansions later. Like if Deathwing had made some appearances in Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King, foreshadowing his return. Illidan and Arthas were great cause we all knew them from Warcraft iii.

Carm

GDJustin said:
If someone wants to send me a scroll of resurrection, my email is gdjustin at gmail.com. I have a WotLK account which isn't supposed to work, but others are reporting it DID work on their LK account.

Sent you one

thatbox

Banned
GDJustin said:

Done.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Just got both at the same minute - TY. Gonna flip a coin to see which I accept. Thanks for sending!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom