• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

vilmer_

SnakeswithLasers said:
=( I still use the crest. So noob. And the Red Sword of Courage. No wonder people don't want me in their groups. =P

I'm still using the crest as well after like 2 years :/ My pally isn't in a raiding guild, so the only viable upgrade aside from pug tanking would be the shield from normal HoR I believe. And the servers need to come back up NAO!

Dunlop

vilmer_ said:
I'm still using the crest as well after like 2 years :/ My pally isn't in a raiding guild, so the only viable upgrade aside from pug tanking would be the shield from normal HoR I believe. And the servers need to come back up NAO!

When I returned to WOW after a 3 year hiatus, I used my benediction/anethema staff until at least lvl 75...then it was only because I could no longer ignore the stat discrepency.

Now it is in my bank, where it will stay until the end of time

rest well bene

Aurarian

Angry Grimace said:
I haven't really looked into it, but are tanks supposed to use slow DPS weapons in Cataclsym? Or do we still have weapons with "defensive" stats on them.

I know that warriors in particular are going to prefer slower weapons as we'll be getting more rage per swing with a slower weapon than with a faster weapon. The only reason for a faster weapon was the spamming of heroic strike but now that it's an instant and on a 3 sec cooldown, we'll only be spamming it once we have about 60 rage or more.

EDIT: Most of the one handers with str have dps stats on them. I haven't seen an actual tanking weapon so far from MMO's loot tables.

Dunlop said:
When I returned to WOW after a 3 year hiatus, I used my benediction/anethema staff until at least lvl 75...then it was only because I could no longer ignore the stat discrepency.

Now it is in my bank, where it will stay until the end of time

rest well bene
Awesome. I keep all my old and cherished weapons in the bank as well. Kris of Unspoken Names is still my favorite. I get it out along with my T2 Nemesis set and run around the major cities every so often simply out of nostalgia.

Evlar

Banned
HildyB said:
Holy Paladins

Any essential add-ons to recommend?
A raid UI suite is always helpful for healers. Vuhdo is one option, Grid + Clique is another. I don't know if Healbot is working for 4.0.1 yet, but that used to be a popular option.

SnakeswithLasers said:
Is Vuhdo completely stand-alone?

I'm not using any add-ons at all right now, but healing is an especial pain in the ass.

One addon. Comes fairly well setup on install too. Not much fiddling needed.

It will let you click heal, but I use it with MouseOver macros.

Dunlop

SnakeswithLasers said:
Is Vuhdo completely stand-alone?

I'm not using any add-ons at all right now, but healing is an especial pain in the ass.

yes, there are also a ton of tutorial vids on the web.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
vilmer_ said:
The lvl 270 PvP Shield costs 70 honor :lol

jersoc

Don't be intimidated by vudho, it's really easy to step up and use. it's better than grid and billion times than healbot, i would not recommend healbot anyways, it'll teach you bad habits now that will kill your raid in cata.

Alex

J-Rzez said:
I highly doubt that. Blizzard said that many of times, and look how that ended up with "don't worry, Rets balanced for 80 lawl". Especially now the way things are going to scale, and 1-2 new abilities per spec isn't going to help out much at all. Looking at the sites such as elitistjerks and arenajunkies beta talks, it further reinforces my fears.

If you were reading 85 PvP dialogue, you wouldn't be complaining about healers. :p

They'll probably hit PvP numbers some more after they get more and more raid data and know what can and can't be tweaked. At this point it's Mage and Destro Warlock that really are the primary culprits, the others aren't bad now.

Getting things to a reasonable level shouldn't be as hard for them since arenas aren't the primary focus for PvP anymore.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I no longer bother using any addon for healing other than Clique, and I use that generally only for dispelling, but given the number of buttons I'm now expected to regularly press, that will probably increase.

notworksafe said:
Now that servers are going back up, does anyone know if the Horseman d/c bug was fixed?

It's unlikely, it's not a bug with the Horseman itself, it's a bug with any in game object signified by a "Cog," which causes the client to crash (it's not actually a D/C, the client crashes).

If you go back a page, I posted some macros which fix the problem, at least long enough to complete the Horseman event.

Angry Grimace

Interfectum said:
can't they fix some of these bugs instantly with the new streaming shit?
That implies they know how to fix it.

Dunlop

Angry Grimace said:
I no longer bother using any addon for healing other than Clique, and I use that generally only for dispelling, but given the number of buttons I'm now

I didn't mind clique until I realized that you cannot assign your mousewheel to spells, I became so used to it with Vuhdo that it was the dealbreaker

Aurarian

I wanted to see if someone could clarify something about the raid lockout. Let's say that tonight I'm doing Val through LK and then I wanted to go to a 25 for the rest of the bosses. Would I be able to do heroic lootship at the least if any heroic modes?

notworksafe

If you are unsaved and you join a raid that has downed UP TO Val, when you finish Val you will be saved to that raid (i.e. everything they have downed UP TO and including Val).

Flib

The content is gated in a way, so if you start at Val, the bosses who came before it will be dead in your ID (i.e. through Saurfang).

HildyB

Thanks for the add-on recommendations. I've used Healbot in the past and looks like it works still. I'll try Vuhdo tonight though.

Aurarian

I swear that each character is allowed to kill each boss once per week which would contradict that. So basically what I should do then is run a 25 first up to Val and then continue with the 10 man? Would that work?

Flib

Aurarian said:
I swear that each character is allowed to kill each boss once per week which would contradict that. So basically what I should do then is run a 25 first up to Val and then continue with the 10 man? Would that work?

Yes, that would work. You just can't, say, join a pug on LK and down him, then come back and do the other bosses.

notworksafe

Aurarian said:
You are saved to the bosses a raid is when you down something.

Example:
Go into 25, kill up to Saurfang. Can continue from there in a 10 if you want.
Go into a 10 raid that has killed up to BQ. When you down BQ, everything that raid has done is saved to you
Go into a 10 raid, only kill Marrowgar. Next day raid goes w/o you and kills everything else. You are only saved to Marrowgar and can continue in 10 or 25.

You are also only saved if a raid downs the boss. If not, you remain unsaved.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
HarryDemeanor said:
So I open my bag for today and what do I get? Absolutely nothing. :lol

You still get Justice points at least, they just dont show up in the bag. But look at your chat window, and you'll see "You looted 24 Justice points" or something like that.

Evlar

Banned
It's not ANY cog in the game. Lightwells don't cause it, for example. Chairs don't cause it. It's some problem specific to these items: the pumpkin, the fish feast, mage's mana table summons, probably others I don't know of.

Bisnic said:
You still get Justice points at least, they just dont show up in the bag. But look at your chat window, and you'll see "You looted 24 Justice points" or something like that.

I didn't get any JP because I'm above the cap at the moment. I don't know what to spend them on right now.

Evlar

Banned
notworksafe said:
I thought the cap wasn't enforced until 4.0.3
Currently you can be above 4000 if that's how much you got in the conversion from Frost and Triumph, but you can't earn any more. Once 4.0.3 hits, all points over the 4000 limit will be erased.

Flib

Evlar said:
It's not ANY cog in the game. Lightwells don't cause it, for example. Chairs don't cause it. It's some problem specific to these items: the pumpkin, the fish feast, mage's mana table summons, probably others I don't know of.

The door to the Arcatraz did to to me.

idlewild_

notworksafe said:
I thought the cap wasn't enforced until 4.0.3

there is a softcap of 4k until 4.0.3 hits where you can have over 4k JP due to the conversion from emblems, but you cannot gain anymore until you drop under 4k, once 4.0.3 hits it becomes a hardcap and any JP over 4k gets turned into gold.

edit: beaten, lol

As for the cogwheel problem, I seem to have my game freeze up on the first cogwheel I mouseover, but after exiting and restarting the game I'm able to mouseover them fine. I've heard that using a macro to turn your tooltips off before using a cogwheel then turning them back on afterwards, or using a tooltip mod will fix the problem.

lordmrw

Deputy Moonman said:
Awesome. I keep all my old and cherished weapons in the bank as well. Kris of Unspoken Names is still my favorite. I get it out along with my T2 Nemesis set and run around the major cities every so often simply out of nostalgia.

I do shit like that all the time. I collect old weapons that I think look cool and I pick random ones and use them when I solo old content. Its pretty nutty how far I've gone with this, I even have a spreadsheet I continually update and scratch off the ones I've gotten. The ones from some of the old raids eluded me, but since the patch dropped I've been able to solo some of them. I haven't done the same with armor yet, but I don't think I can as I really need to clean out junk from my bank.

Retro

Hm... may need to take a screenshot of all the old crap I keep on my characters... I have more pretty outfits than Barbie at this point.

... hell in that last screenshot I posted you can see the Purple Judgment set I've slowly been gathering. :lol

Is there a general amount of time it takes for your character to show up on the armory? I've been back for a few days now and none of my guys are showing up yet.

Flib

SnakeswithLasers said:
Is there a general amount of time it takes for your character to show up on the armory? I've been back for a few days now and none of my guys are showing up yet.

It hasn't updated for anyone since patch 4.01 dropped.

Alex

I keep my bank really clean, I hate hoarding old clothes and armor and stuff. I keep some gag items and whatnot, but only a few.

J-Rzez

Angry Grimace said:
The argument that the game is balanced for 85 isn't without merit. It really isn't. Just think about it rationally.

Regardless of how angry you get, you have to consider the fact that it's actually true. The problem is that you're basing your argument that it isn't balanced at 85 on nothing since you aren't in beta.

My theories are crafted from Arenajunkies experience at 85 pvp, who know more about PVP than even I'd notice. When they say something's wrong, something's most likely wrong. We'll see how they tune it up, because past experience of "tuned for endgame" really didn't mean jack-squat as it's well known. Only "bugs" causing massive imbalances get fixed, but fine balancing itself doesn't happen for nearly a year after launch.

Aesthet1c

jersoc said:
Don't be intimidated by vudho, it's really easy to step up and use. it's better than grid and billion times than healbot, i would not recommend healbot anyways, it'll teach you bad habits now that will kill your raid in cata.

Can you elaborate please? I checked out Vuhdo and while it's really awesome and I'm making the switch to it, I don't see how it is a lot different than healbot. Maybe I haven't had enough time to play with yet...

But what are these bad habits that you speak of? Is something breaking in Cataclsysm? I assume since I can click heal/buff in 4.0.1, I should be able to in Cataclysm.

notworksafe

J-Rzez said:
My theories are crafted from Arenajunkies experience at 85 pvp, who know more about PVP than even I'd notice. When they say something's wrong, something's most likely wrong. We'll see how they tune it up, because past experience of "tuned for endgame" really didn't mean jack-squat as it's well known. Only "bugs" causing massive imbalances get fixed, but fine balancing itself doesn't happen for nearly a year after launch.
As I said before, this happens constantly. It happens with any talent changes, it happens with every expansion. The fact that you expect everything to be balanced day one is laughable.

Almost as laughable as WoW PVP.

Flib

a bunch of the numbers are partially out of whack now because of the rebalancing for people complaining at 80 (I'm looking at mages). The game still has a month and a half before the race to 80 begins, and they are doing number passes multiple times per week.

Until last week, mages were doing competitive (i.e. equal) dps with other ranged dps at 85, and were crazy at 80. Because of the QQing on live, the nerfs they put in have mages doing less damage than tanks at 85 in pve settings. This will be rebalanced in the beta build going out tonight.

On the other hand, you have classes like hunters who are doing crap dps on live, but are right up there where they should be at 85. Overall, it's looking pretty good, and they still have some time. These last few weeks are where the numbers change hard and fast, because they are finally raid testing and everything else is done.

edit: personally, I only give a shit about PVE anyway, even though I do PVP occassionally when bored.

notworksafe

Were you around during Wrath or BC betas, J-Rzez? I only ask because you would have seen the Blizzard balancing machine at work. For both those betas, everything was totally out of whack until about the last 3 weeks, then all of a sudden everything came together and a shit load of fixes and changes were added.

Don't expect everything to be perfect out of the gate, however. That is nearly impossible.

Flib

notworksafe said:
Were you around during Wrath or BC betas, J-Rzez? I only ask because you would have seen the Blizzard balancing machine at work. For both those betas, everything was totally out of whack until about the last 3 weeks, then all of a sudden everything came together and a shit load of fixes and changes were added.

You've just proc'd his next post to be about ret paladins.

notworksafe

That's why I added that extra bit at the end.

Also the Ret Paladin-ness was way overdue. I mentioned how shit Paladins were above, and Ret up to the Wrath launch was the shittiest of the shit. So we needed that time in the spotlight. :lol

Interfectum

Flib said:
You've just proc'd his next post to be about ret paladins.

He might be able to reduce aggro with soul shatter

32px-Spell_arcane_arcane01.png

Angry Grimace

J-Rzez said:
You're arguing about something you have no basis to argue about, in any case. I don't trust most arguments about whether class balance exists, but much less hearsay to the same effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom