• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

notworksafe

Interfectum said:
He might be able to reduce aggro with soul shatter

32px-Spell_arcane_arcane01.png
As a Paladin, I go ultra cheap style.

+
swPsT.png

I wish it was still in the game :(

J-Rzez

notworksafe said:
Were you around during Wrath or BC betas, J-Rzez? I only ask because you would have seen the Blizzard balancing machine at work. For both those betas, everything was totally out of whack until about the last 3 weeks, then all of a sudden everything came together and a shit load of fixes and changes were added.

Don't expect everything to be perfect out of the gate, however. That is nearly impossible.

I don't expect it to be balanced day one, but I expect better levels of balance than currently exhibited. I was in the Wrath beta, and we all spoke out on DKs and Paladins. They just kept telling us once gear and people learn their classes that things will balance out (since we were doing lvl 80 premades at this time). Then people complained on PTR about Ret, and they just told those people, it's balanced at 80. Then the patch hit and their forums nearly burnt down to the ground causing them to do multiple hot-fixes, which still did nothing. They said again, balanced at 80. Then 80 came around, and DKs and Rets destroyed house after "weeks of tuning" and made Blizzard look like the fools they were. So those changes, mainly to classes that needed help, not hurting, made Ret and DKs even worse.

Now fast forward to present, not just one or two classes, but all casters are massively OP. Couple in the changes to resiliency and healing, and you can see the mess they have now is FAR greater than Retadingate. This is prior to people even getting their new abilities (Mage-lust + moar CCz), which is going to make things even worse.

Right now PVP is unplayable unless you're an insta-gibbing wizard.

Angry Grimace said:
You're arguing about something you have no basis to argue about, in any case. I don't trust most arguments about whether class balance exists, but much less hearsay to the same effect.

I tend to listen to "Gladiator" and Tournament Rated players than other players. Especially those who earn gladiator with classes and comps that are not FotM. I think they have a better grasp on PVP balance than others.

notworksafe

J-Rzez said:
I don't expect it to be balanced day one, but I expect better levels of balance than currently exhibited. I was in the Wrath beta, and we all spoke out on DKs and Paladins. They just kept telling us once gear and people learn their classes that things will balance out (since we were doing lvl 80 premades at this time). Then people complained on PTR about Ret, and they just told those people, it's balanced at 80. Then the patch hit and their forums nearly burnt down to the ground causing them to do multiple hot-fixes, which still did nothing. They said again, balanced at 80. Then 80 came around, and DKs and Rets destroyed house after "weeks of tuning" and made Blizzard look like the fools they were. So those changes, mainly to classes that needed help, not hurting, made Ret and DKs even worse.

Now fast forward to present, not just one or two classes, but all casters are massively OP. Couple in the changes to resiliency and healing, and you can see the mess they have now is FAR greater than Retadingate. This is prior to people even getting their new abilities (Mage-lust + moar CCz), which is going to make things even worse.

So you're saying that right after both an expansion and a game changing patch things weren't balanced? That's never happened before.

EDIT: To better explain, I don't understand where you are coming from here. Blizzard has basically never put out a patch/expansion that made class changes which didn't immediately need to be retuned, even in a minor way. So I'm not sure why you are expecting a sudden change.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
J-Rzez said:

I tend to listen to "Gladiator" and Tournament Rated players than other players. Especially those who earn gladiator with classes and comps that are not FotM. I think they have a better grasp on PVP balance than others.
Which of course, is a bona-fide logical fallacy. I'm sorry, but you have no idea what you are talking about. You're literally basing your argument that "Blizzard doesn't know what they are doing" based on the words of people you admittedly don't even know who posted a comment on some forum about something that happened while they were playing in the testing period.

Arguing with you about it is a waste of keyboard strokes because there isn't any foundation for your conclusion because you don't have any personal knowledge about it.

Flib

Yeah, I can't believe DKs weren't balanced, especially since they were the first class added to the game after launch. And Paladins getting redesigned to not be awful.

I'm actually amazed that the classes usually end up as balanced as they are. It's way more balanced than most WRPGs (not to mention pretty much every other MMO) when it comes to supporting so many playstyles.

J-Rzez

Angry Grimace said:
Which of course, is a bona-fide logical fallacy. I'm sorry, but you have no idea what you are talking about. You're literally basing your argument that "Blizzard doesn't know what they are doing" based on the words of people you admittedly don't even know who posted a comment on some forum about something that happened while they were playing in the testing period.

Arguing with you about it is a waste of keyboard strokes because there isn't any foundation for your conclusion because you don't have any personal knowledge about it.

Are you a 2800+ rated player that has won official MLG tournaments by chance? I think those players have a little more weight on balancing and the state of PVP at 85 in beta than anyone else.

All I'm saying is PVP is a disaster right now from personal experience on live, and it's not any better in beta, unless you're a caster. Is that too hard to understand? I'm just discussing PVP, and that they really need to get things going with balancing because it's busted on live, and it's not looking any better on beta atm neither, because this is the biggest mess I've seen PVP in a long while. I don't trust their "balanced at 85" motto as they've said that in the past and it never happened before. Things are a mess and will continue to be. Unless they mean, "balanced at 85, 1 and a quarter years after launch".

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
J-Rzez said:
Are you a 2800+ rated player that has won official MLG tournaments by chance? I think those players have a little more weight on balancing and the state of PVP at 85 in beta than anyone else.

All I'm saying is PVP is a disaster right now from personal experience on live, and it's not any better in beta, unless you're a caster. Is that too hard to understand? I'm just discussing PVP, and that they really need to get things going with balancing because it's busted on live, and it's not looking any better on beta atm neither, because this is the biggest mess I've seen PVP in a long while. I don't trust their "balanced at 85" motto as they've said that in the past and it never happened before. Things are a mess and will continue to be. Unless they mean, "balanced at 85, 1 and a quarter years after launch".
Are you?

It's a waste of brain cells to argue when the source of the information is "I heard from a guy."

I'm not trying to mess with you at all, you're just arguing about games you haven't played.

J-Rzez

notworksafe said:
So you're saying that right after both an expansion and a game changing patch things weren't balanced? That's never happened before.

EDIT: To better explain, I don't understand where you are coming from here. Blizzard has basically never put out a patch/expansion that made class changes which didn't immediately need to be retuned, even in a minor way. So I'm not sure why you are expecting a sudden change.

Because, just like in the Wrath beta where I participated in as well, we ALL said Rets and DKs were out of control, and they said basically "L2play and get gear" and things will all be good. All I'm saying is things probably won't be balanced around 85, they're nerfing down Resi again (lol melee), and this is the most out of control I've seen PVP on here in years where it's not one or two OP classes, it's one whole type of class (wizards). That's all I'm saying since they made some changes since I last did some BGs and I tested them out, and they were barely noticeable, and now it's going to get even worse. That is all I'm saying, out of frustration, and my own odd sense of humor laughing at, PVP is a joke now.

J-Rzez

Angry Grimace said:
Are you?

It's a waste of brain cells to argue when the source of the information is "I heard from a guy."

I'm not trying to mess with you at all, you're just arguing about games you haven't played.

I'm not, no. I just stated what I saw in BGs, and then researched this "balanced at 85" stuff at a place that's well known to have some of the BEST PVPers in the game where they comment and add their opinions on balancing. Seriously man, it's not that far out there to listen to said skilled players who obviously have a bit more knowledge about the game than others, rather than people who probably don't even PVP ever saying "balanced at 85".

On a side note, no mount again... no ZG tiger, no Anzu, no horseman today. I did get the Helm though for half of that achievement.

notworksafe

I think everyone is just expecting stuff to be unbalanced at launch. Perhaps we're numb to it, but 5-6 years will do that. :lol Blizzard isn't a dev like Square-Enix though. They manage to get fixes out at a pretty good pace, imo.

Also, I'm guessing people here are mostly PVE Carebears. I know I am, but just because I think WoW's PVE is its stronger side.

In fact, one might say the ratio of PVE to PVP is...

caruso.gif

...unbalanced

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

J-Rzez

notworksafe said:
I think everyone is just expecting stuff to be unbalanced at launch. Perhaps we're numb to it, but 5-6 years will do that. :lol Blizzard isn't a dev like Square-Enix though. They manage to get fixes out at a pretty good pace, imo.

Also, I'm guessing people here are mostly PVE Carebears. I know I am, but just because I think WoW's PVE is its stronger side.

In fact, one might say the ratio of PVE to PVP is...

caruso.gif

...unbalanced

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

:lol

Well yeah, like I said, I expect there to be one or two out of whack, but this time it's an entire type of class that's out of control. I mean, in the last season especially "wizard cleaves" were strong (RMP added there as it's always a given lol), and wizards are even stronger than before. It's just that people shouldn't buy into Blizzard's tag lines, "Soon, When It's Ready" and especially "Balanced at end-game".

I PVE far more than PVP myself. But I did do some Arenas, though never got into them because I didn't do FotM stuff, plus I get bored in "Deathmatches". Rated BGs is what I"m hoping to blow me away. It's something I can get into. It'll give me, and other guildies another thing to do, as it'll help avoid "burn-out".

notworksafe

Never been an Arena fan either. I only did them in BC when you needed to for PVE content. Rated BGs should have been in before Arena imo, but I'm glad they will be in now. Might actually get me to do more PVP content.

Flib

Your information is out of date though, tanks currently do more damage than mages (warlocks, on the other hand :lol ). This is obviously going to get boosted up. They've been really responsive (much more so than usual) regarding changes to underpowered specs (i.e. cat druids and fury/arms warriors).

We have like 6 weeks left, so we're not even in the final numbers passes.

Alex

AJ is consistently full of shit, and always has been. Someone having a high arena rating doesn't make them a game designer pro, especially concerning a game with such gargantuan scope. I've seen quite a few amazing arena players write gigantic articles completely focusing on the most incorrect, self-centered nonsense. I wonder how many "YOU KNOW, I MAY BE TOP 3 IN ARENA, AND PARSING TOP IN RAIDS, BUT BLIZZARD KEEP KICKING ME WHILE I'M DOWN AND THEY'RE GOING TO LOSE ALL THEIR SUBSCRIBERS" I've seen over the years...

Anyhow, hey're putting in hotfixes nightly, and changing what needs to be changed. It's a huge patch, it's a lot of tuning, people need to be a little patient. Not every problem is as simple as HERPA DERP, NERF MAGEZ though when Mages are currently the worst raid DPS at 85 which has made Blizzard resort to using two sets of numbers.

I have a feeling it'll be brought to a fairly comfortable level within the first couple weeks. Rated BGs will also making the environment much calmer to balance with, I loved Arena back in S2/S3, I even got Glad in S2, but I'm happy to see it losing it's focus.

CAW

CAW said:
Did the Coren Direbrew fight for the first time last night and got this:

4l3eht.jpg

:D
Luck continued:

nyz3ah.jpg

Second run. :D

I've always wanted this mount, but I think this is the first October since 2005 that I've had my account still subscribed (runs out on the 20th actually).

Alex

You get a treat bag when you beat the Headless Horseman, it can appear in there, it counts as a daily quest so you can only get that bag once per day.

CAW

SnakeswithLasers said:
So you can only get it on your first try of the day?
Yep, and only while the Hallow's End event is going on. I believe it runs for two weeks, today was the second day.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Hallow's_End

notworksafe said:
Congrats CAW!
Thanks man! So pumped. Best part about it is taunting my brother because he has terrible luck when it comes to loot drop and he's wanted a new mount for awhile now. Ahh, brotherly love. :lol

Angry Grimace

Alex said:
AJ is consistently full of shit, and always has been. Someone having a high arena rating doesn't make them a game designer pro, especially concerning a game with such gargantuan scope. I've seen quite a few amazing arena players write gigantic articles completely focusing on the most incorrect, self-centered nonsense. I wonder how many "YOU KNOW, I MAY BE TOP 3 IN ARENA, AND PARSING TOP IN RAIDS, BUT BLIZZARD KEEP KICKING ME WHILE I'M DOWN AND THEY'RE GOING TO LOSE ALL THEIR SUBSCRIBERS" I've seen over the years...

Anyhow, hey're putting in hotfixes nightly, and changing what needs to be changed. It's a huge patch, it's a lot of tuning, people need to be a little patient. Not every problem is as simple as HERPA DERP, NERF MAGEZ though when Mages are currently the worst raid DPS at 85 which has made Blizzard resort to using two sets of numbers.

I have a feeling it'll be brought to a fairly comfortable level within the first couple weeks. Rated BGs will also making the environment much calmer to balance with, I loved Arena back in S2/S3, I even got Glad in S2, but I'm happy to see it losing it's focus.
Exactly. It's the same group of subjective, self-centered tools that populate every WoW-centric forum, just some have good ratings. It doesn't mean they even care about balance.

Alex

Melee isn't blanket poor at 85 anyway, it's class by class. Depends on who got their early passes recently and who hasn't.

Warrior, for example, did and is now very powerful. I won't be shocked if they eat a damage nerf. Death Knight is really great too. I've heard some good things about Feral now too but I do not play them and I'm not going to take someones opinion at face value for them.

Can't speak for the others, but from just fighting a few I think Rogue really needs... something. It's not like a wuss or anything, but it's a little humble in execution at the moment.

The main problem I have with Cataclysm PvP is it's a lot of the same shit that was in early Wrath PvP: Stuff dies too fast. They tripled he health pools and we're still seeing this. Why even raise stamina if this is the idea?

If they don't adjust downwards, I bet the resil buff goes back in to full. Healers aren't the same tour de force they are at 80, as they don't scale a lot and have quite finite mana. If things stay as they are now, which I don't think they will, but if they do Paladin will def be the best of the bunch for healing at launch. Lots of self healing and instant casts, not as many mana problems in the PvP field (more in PvE, though)

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Angry Grimace said:
The lvl 270 PvP Shield costs 70 honor :lol

I didnt even know about that :eek: And it looks really cool, compared to the stupid reg HOR shield.

New shield acquired! http://www.wowhead.com/item=51533#.

Its funny, it says you need arena or battleground rating on top of the 70 honor to buy the shield, but i could still buy it without those ratings... must be bugged.

Alex

Wow it is 70 honor, that's silly. Maybe I'll get my Paladin one. It'd look lovely with my archaic Naxx 25 and Uld 10 gear, or my Deadly PvP armor :lol

Alex

I dont really have any interest in really upping any of my armor on this character, pointless now, but I have like 3700 honor or something from the conversion so why not.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Bisnic said:
I didnt even know about that :eek: And it looks really cool, compared to the stupid reg HOR shield.

Its funny, it says you need arena or battleground rating on top of the 70 honor to buy the shield, but i could still buy it without those ratings... must be bugged.
They forgot to delete the rating requirements. Low priority I guess.

Angry Grimace

Got Sinister Squashling and Hallowed Helm in the same Pumpkin Loot bag.

Retro

notworksafe said:
Wow, that shield is amazing! Going to have to get that tonight!

Yeah, I had to pick this up too. I lose 59 strength, a little dodge and parry... gain a lot of stamina and armor though. And I don't have to look at the Splintered Door anymore, or as I like to call it "The Bug Husk wrapped in Yak Pubes"... or YakPubes for short. NEVER liked that shield.

PatzCU

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS Headless Horseman's Reins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've played this game since beta and never gotten lucky, fucking finally. Next up, Anzu.

Angry Grimace

It's not that HH's Mount has a higher drop rate, it's just that people are actually bothering to do the event because the LFG tool makes it take ~20 minutes to do 5 toons.

Alex

Deepholm is like the best looking area I've ever seen in a video game. I've never seen anything swimming in so much insane detail and atmosphere before. That place is just bonkers on the visuals. The lengths to which they've pushed this engine with art and texture work in Cata really leave me astounded at times.

They did a good job updating the stuff in BC and WOTLK, but in Cata you sometimes just see stuff that blows you away that it's even World of Warcraft. I hope they keep pushing the visuals forward bit by bit.

Then we'll wind up with the most ridiculously insane environments ever. And Dwarves made out of 150 polygons.

traveler

Not Wario
Alex said:
Deepholm is like the best looking area I've ever seen in a video game. I've never seen anything swimming in so much insane detail and atmosphere before. That place is just bonkers on the visuals. The lengths to which they've pushed this engine with art and texture work in Cata really leave me astounded at times.

They did a good job updating the stuff in BC and WOTLK, but in Cata you sometimes just see stuff that blows you away that it's even World of Warcraft. I hope they keep pushing the visuals forward bit by bit.

Then we'll wind up with the most ridiculously insane environments ever. And Dwarves made out of 150 polygons.

I keep hearing that I'll notice the difference when I play the game, but, man, it is not coming across in screenshots and vids. It looks great, sure, but I don't think it even comes close to Grizzly Hills, which is probably my favorite looking zone ever, Sholazar, Dragonblight, the Fjord, Storm Peaks, or Icecrown. Nothing in this expansion does to me.

Flib

traveler said:
I keep hearing that I'll notice the difference when I play the game, but, man, it is not coming across in screenshots and vids. It looks great, sure, but I don't think it even comes close to Grizzly Hills, which is probably my favorite looking zone ever, Sholazar, Dragonblight, the Fjord, Storm Peaks, or Icecrown. Nothing in this expansion does to me.

I completely agreed with you, but then I got into the beta. Part of the reason it's so impressive is the insane amount of ambient animation in the environments.

Some of these areas are astounding. Deepholm is really cool, but I actually think Vash'jir is the most impressive.

edit: I wrote this while on my hunter waiting for a queue, and was like "fuck this, why do I bother, the rare shit never drops for me (it doesn't)", and lo and behold my pumpkin has the helm and the reins!

Alex

Yeah, it really is a big step up from Wrath IMO, and keep in mind I am very biased to rustic areas and anything with snow. For me snow makes things autowin usually, but Cataclysm's attention to detail and huge tweaks to atmosphere is just mind boggling.

I am really impressed.

Now redo the old models and stop making ugly armor.

Whoa, you weren't kidding about that shield. This thing is beastly. My best item by far. :lol :lol

What's the first tanking weapon upgrade after Red Sword of Courage?

I have a 4870x2 and when I select anything other than Low on the Water Effects, the water looks like jello. On this setting it doesn't move unless I jump into it and swim around. My friend is also having the same problem. Is this a bug?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Narag said:

http://www.wowhead.com/item=49783 in reg Forge of Souls too.

They both have weird design, but whatever. :lol

You can get more badass tanking weapon in Heroic Pit of Saron & Halls of Reflection... but i wouldn't suggest doing those if you're still practicing your tanking skills, or dont have good enough gear.

Also, for you shamans still stuck with the caster shield from reg POS, or even a 200 epic shield, you can also get http://www.wowhead.com/item=51452 for 70 honor.

My shaman is quite happy about it.

Flib

traveler said:
Well, it's good to hear, I guess. Hopefully, I'll be just as surprised as you guys were.

One little note when people talk about Deepholm (regarding ambient animation): You've seen all those crystalline towers/Stalagmites? They randomly and constantly shatter, and the pieces jerk around erratically before reforming. It looks really cool.

Lain

Bisnic said:

Wtf?! I'm gonna get one later today when the servers are up.

Flambe

Angry Grimace said:
It's not that HH's Mount has a higher drop rate, it's just that people are actually bothering to do the event because the LFG tool makes it take ~20 minutes to do 5 toons.

I dunno, I did it every day with 5 chars last year and never saw one. I got 2 Kodos and a Headless horseman (all on the same stupid character, not my Achievement/collector rawr) so far this year.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
HH mount drop rate has definitely been upped A LOT.

On my server you constantly see people "woot'ing" in trade. In my very small guild at least 15 of our members have gotten it in three days.

I'm glad people are getting it (I got mine the first drop of the first day the mount was added ;P) but it was bad enough when everyone was riding around on Kodos, now it will be HH mounts.

Is anything in the game going to be truly rare? :p

Angry Grimace

Flambe said:
I dunno, I did it every day with 5 chars last year and never saw one. I got 2 Kodos and a Headless horseman (all on the same stupid character, not my Achievement/collector rawr) so far this year.
It also took me 13 tries to get Rivendare's Deathcharger. That doesn't mean the drop rate is higher. It means I happened to win the RNG lottery.

Even if the drop rate is higher than it used to be, I don't particularly mind; these are not actual "rare" mounts, they are the seasonal mounts. You should have some reasonable shot at them.

I'm just saying, never trust anyone's subjective opinion on statistics, especially number frequency. People who do that usually develop gambling problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom