• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dunlop

Finished Uld HM last night, a week too late : (

Did any priests last night have an issue with the Holy Word spell? Whatever chakra state I went into, the Holy Word would not work after 30 seconds, even if I kept the chakra going I would have to recast it after the minute CD in order for Holy Word to work again.

Took 3 attempts last night to do the headless Horsman instance on my priest, 3 on my pally. in both cases we played with 3 people.

Same deal this morning, in one case we were all cloth but we took him down

4/4...empty pumkins : (

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Is there any kind of trick to get Weighted Jack o Lantern for the achievement that ask us to use it on every race? I swear i killed the Headless Horseman 10 times yesterday with my mage, but only got to loot that stupid item once. And only 1 of it. While everyone else who can loot him get 4 or 6 at once.

FML

Flib

Sebulon3k said:
The Agony, well I'm sure the new world won't be as bad as the old world was for dungeon locations.

I'm thinking of discovering places like Maraudon / Uldaman.

You can discover all of them in under 30 min.

Hell, 3 of them are in the same zone.

I could be wrong but I think you possible can get them randomly from trick or treating the innkeepers. Haven't done it this year as I got the achievement last year but from memory you can get them that way.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I should hit 79 tonight. I've been pvping my way up. I am at around 500 resil from old PVP gear. My lock just mows through everyone. I don't know if I want to hit 80. :lol

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
droppedbear said:
I could be wrong but I think you possible can get them randomly from trick or treating the innkeepers. Haven't done it this year as I got the achievement last year but from memory you can get them that way.

I dont think you can get it from the innkeepers. But i just saw that those dailies that ask you to put out fire should give me 1. Well, i guess i can just do them for a week instead of wasting my time killing the Horseman over 20 times a day.

Bisnic said:
I dont think you can get it from the innkeepers. But i just saw that those dailies that ask you to put out fire should give me 1. Well, i guess i can just do them for a week instead of wasting my time killing the Horseman over 20 times a day.
You are right, I was just quoting from memory. Here is a guide that may help you or anyone else going for the achievement
From the article on wow.com:
Weighted Jack-o'-Lanterns are obtainable from three different sources:

* frequently dropped by the Headless Horseman
* contained in the large flaming pumpkin left on the ground when the Headless Horseman is defeated in level 10 towns (see The Savior of Hallow's End, above)
* rewarded by the Let the Fires Come/Stop the Fires daily

Dunlop

The Lamonster said:
Everyone crashed when we tried to start the Headless Horseman fight last night.

Have they fixed that today or have any plan to do so?

Hope so, we are running ICC heroics tonight and I do not want a re-occurance of the clusterfuck that was last week.

One of the strengths of WOW was that you used to be able to run it on anything, we now seeing the problems of requiring a better rig that hit AoC and Warhammer. They really dropped the ball and released this a month too soon

Flib

The Lamonster said:
Everyone crashed when we tried to start the Headless Horseman fight last night.

Have they fixed that today or have any plan to do so?

Angry Grimace's macros on the last page will fix it. Ended up having to solo the horseman on my druid and dk tanks :lol

Flib said:
Angry Grimace's macros on the last page will fix it. Ended up having to solo the horseman on my druid and dk tanks :lol
Angry Grimace said:
How to not D/C

Write macros which turn off fetching tooltips before entering, and then hit the second to turn them back on after you finish.

Turn Off Tooltips

/script GameTooltip.Temphide = function() GameTooltip:Hide() end; GameTooltip:SetScript("OnShow", GameTooltip.Temphide);

Turn On Tooltips

/script GameTooltip:SetScript("OnShow", GameTooltip.Show);
Thanks! I'll try it tonight.

ampere

Angry Grimace said:
How to not D/C

Write macros which turn off fetching tooltips before entering, and then hit the second to turn them back on after you finish.

Turn Off Tooltips

/script GameTooltip.Temphide = function() GameTooltip:Hide() end; GameTooltip:SetScript("OnShow", GameTooltip.Temphide);

Turn On Tooltips

/script GameTooltip:SetScript("OnShow", GameTooltip.Show);
me love you long time

Retro

Was thinking today how interesting it might be if Hand of Reckoning (Paladin Single-target Taunt) had the capacity to generate holy power.

It used to cause damage (which could crit) if the target wasn't currently focused on you, so it was always a really useful opener when soloing, even when playing Ret or Holy. It might be interesting if it gained a chance to generate Holy Power via Protection Talents.

All day yesterday, I just kept feeling like I should have some way to grab a charge of HP before the mob was on top of me. Avenger's Shield is far too spam-able now thanks to Grand Crusader, so attaching it to a Taunt might make more sense. Almost in the way Crusader Strike is for bosses and single targets and Hammer is for packs of mobs, Hand of Reckoning could be your Holy Power-generating single-target pull (good for bosses or soloing) while Avenger's Shield is your silencing multi-target pull.

Or maybe I'm just crazy :lol.

Flib

I finally got around to trying 4.01 DK tanking, and I have to say I think the decision to consolidate the tanking tree was a good one. I feel like they are now well-rounded, fun to play and have a good toolbox which is different enough from the other tanks.

My runs were successful, but threat did seem to be a bit of an issue for me (though people were just focus firing random targets and pulling for me). My DK has pretty shitty gear (mix of 232s, 219s and a couple of 200s), so that's probably the real issue.

Flib said:
My runs were successful, but threat did seem to be a bit of an issue for me (though people were just focus firing random targets and pulling for me). My DK has pretty shitty gear (mix of 232s, 219s and a couple of 200s), so that's probably the real issue.

It's because of their stupid decision to take the extra threat away from Icy Touch and their even stupider decision to not implement the Rune Strike changes (already changed in beta) in live, therefore giving DKs inconsistent threat at best.

Flib

Well good to know I'm not crazy then. I main a druid tank, so I know how to tank well and had done my research, but it seemed really easy to pull off of me (even my main target if I wasn't getting enough rune strike procs), and there don't seem to be many good snap threat abilities.

With tweaks to the numbers though, I think they'll be a lot of fun. Good to see that they're also making improved blood presence regenerate runes 20% faster. Should be easier to prevent lockouts, which always bugged me about dk tanks.

Evlar

Banned
Flib said:
I finally got around to trying 4.01 DK tanking, and I have to say I think the decision to consolidate the tanking tree was a good one. I feel like they are now well-rounded, fun to play and have a good toolbox which is different enough from the other tanks.

I can certainly say, from the point of view of a healer, that I'm much happier to see a DK tank in 4.0.1 than at any point during Wrath.

Flib

Also spent some time on my hunter (old main) at 85, which I hadn't really enjoyed on live. Much much more fun when you get cobra shot and aspect of the fox. Really digging the new systems.

The only things I have yet to try out on my toons are my resto off-spec on my druid, and my level 63 prot pally.

While DK tanks are kinda broken in 4.0.1, I can tell you that in beta they almost seem OP. When I pop into a random heroic, the healer is usually excited that he got a DK tank. Self healing + all the threat you could ever ask for is awesome.

Flib

I have a premade 85 dk tank in beta which I need to try out. I've tanked all the dungeons on my druid, so I guess it's time to tackle them with my dk.

Flib said:
I have a premade 85 dk tank in beta which I need to try out. I've tanked all the dungeons on my druid, so I guess it's time to tackle them with my dk.

If it's been a while since you transferred your premade, transfer a new one. The new ones have better gear and are more prepped for heroics/raid testing.

Flib

Azwethinkweiz said:
If it's been a while since you transferred your premade, transfer a new one. The new ones have better gear and are more prepped for heroics/raid testing.

I retransferred all my toons for the raid testing, so I'm good!

PS I'm really loving tanking as a druid at 85. They actually managed to make it interesting, and we're balanced really well. Savage Defense is a beast, and our threat is awesome.

Azwethinkweiz said:
While DK tanks are kinda broken in 4.0.1, I can tell you that in beta they almost seem OP. When I pop into a random heroic, the healer is usually excited that he got a DK tank. Self healing + all the threat you could ever ask for is awesome.
Unless ive really dropped the ball the only healing we get is from runetap or bloodtap (forget which) and from blood grubs. death strike used to but now it creates blood sheild and Blood str/healing is gone from the stance.
Rune strike is crazy for threat but it makes it a real bitch to offtank as you dont get procs but i thinkthey changed that in beta.

Johnlenham said:
Unless ive really dropped the ball the only healing we get is from runetap or bloodtap (forget which) and from blood grubs. death strike used to but now it creates blood sheild and Blood str/healing is gone from the stance.
Rune strike is crazy for threat but it makes it a real bitch to offtank as you dont get procs but i thinkthey changed that in beta.

Death strike heals you and gives you a shield. The shield is your mastery ability based on your Death Strike. What the hell do you think the "Improved Death Strike" talent does?

For reference

J-Rzez

PVP is such a disaster right now it's funny. Now they're going to revert the resilience change so people can get smoked by casters as fast as they've had before? Seriously, they need to stop using lead and paint thiner based candles at that office. Instead of Wrath, in which you just dealt with Pallies, you have every caster in the game being OP. Healers are out of control, watching a druid run a flag back by himself in WSG with 5 people beating on him, one being a Lock even.

I just can't see them fixing this much stuff for launch. There are so many bugs and stuff on top of balancing PVE and PVP issues, and dungeon/raid balancing, stuff is going to be either massively broken, or massively unbalanced.

notworksafe

Meh for PVP I don't care. And for PVE I think it won't really matter. As long as tanks can get threat and healers can keep people alive, our raid will be just fine.

Also resil change is going down halfway, not reverting totally fwiw. But yeah, they are supposedly balancing against 85 and the changes at 80 were messing that up.

It should end up as a 25% buff from where it stood originally, not a 50% buff. For point of comparison, maxing out resilience before our first hotfix reduced damage by ~50%. After out hotfix, the damage reduction with max resilience was 80%. With this most recent change, damage reduction with max resilience will go down to 60%.

Not a massive change.

Evlar

Banned
J-Rzez said:
PVP is such a disaster right now it's funny. Now they're going to revert the resilience change so people can get smoked by casters as fast as they've had before? Seriously, they need to stop using lead and paint thiner based candles at that office. Instead of Wrath, in which you just dealt with Pallies, you have every caster in the game being OP. Healers are out of control, watching a druid run a flag back by himself in WSG with 5 people beating on him, one being a Lock even.

I just can't see them fixing this much stuff for launch. There are so many bugs and stuff on top of balancing PVE and PVP issues, and dungeon/raid balancing, stuff is going to be either massively broken, or massively unbalanced.
Well, if you're worried about the second problem (invincible healers) you ought to loooove the first problem (the return of casters delivering instagibs).

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
My big issue has been server stability, especially when entering an instance. It's a crap shoot whether I'll stay connected while zoning in, and the same holds true for almost everyone else in the group. On the plus side, it's been kind of useful that most of the PvP gear is buyable with honor now without the need for an arena ranking. Got the i270 shield for my pally tank. I couldn't say no to 181 stamina (although I've been hard pressed to find a tank shield in WotLK that isn't ugly as sin, this one included). :p

J-Rzez

notworksafe said:
Not a massive change.

But that's where Resi was once it first launched iirc. It doesn't reduce crit chance on top of it anymore, which is actually pretty severe, and thus why people were getting hit for 20-24k shots, even 12k ice lances for example.

Evlar said:
Well, if you're worried about the second problem (invincible healers) you ought to loooove the first problem (the return of casters delivering instagibs).

As an Unholy DK, I can usually fight off one or two casters, I just have to blow all cd''s, kill one of them, die, then wait for cd's before I can do jack again. I feel real bad for other melee though, fish in a barrel.

Flib said:
Don't worry too much about the game as it is now, the balance is way different at 85.

I highly doubt that. Blizzard said that many of times, and look how that ended up with "don't worry, Rets balanced for 80 lawl". Especially now the way things are going to scale, and 1-2 new abilities per spec isn't going to help out much at all. Looking at the sites such as elitistjerks and arenajunkies beta talks, it further reinforces my fears.

I hate this stupid game and what it does to me.
I swear, I've been playing for only three days now and it's taking all the self control I can muster to not be on wowwiki reading heroic guides instead of working. =/

notworksafe

J-Rzez said:
But that's where Resi was once it first launched iirc. It doesn't reduce crit chance on top of it anymore, which is actually pretty severe, and thus why people were getting hit for 20-24k shots, even 12k ice lances for example.
But again, who cares? There's barely a reward for PVP anymore now that the season is over. Nothing you get now will matter in 1.5 months. :lol

Blizzard is busy working on the next PVP season and balancing around that. I don't know many times they've said that PVP is not balanced around 80 anymore.

J-Rzez said:
I highly doubt that. Blizzard said that many of times, and look how that ended up with "don't worry, Rets balanced for 80 lawl". Especially now the way things are going to scale, and 1-2 new abilities per spec isn't going to help out much at all. Looking at the sites such as elitistjerks and arenajunkies beta talks, it further reinforces my fears.
Perhaps "more balanced" is a better way to put it? Either way, with both BC and Wrath shit was wonky at launch. I don't know why people continue to be shocked at this. Yes, an expansion comes out with new spells that are harder to balance around. This is nothing new. Yet every time people act like the sky is falling when it is a problem resolved within a month.

Aurarian

I can agree. I ran a few bg's yesterday to round out my Hallow's End achievements. It was pretty hard to take down some people.

Yesterday I watched some live streams of the testing session. I didn't see many people take down the bosses, I don't know if it was because they were overtuned or anything. I was watching the Method stream and they managed to take down the dragons. I don't think they took down Chimaeron or Conclave. Chimaeron seems to be really healing intensive as there are tank swaps and there is a sort of decimate style cast that happens quite a bit. As for Conclave, it seems that you'll have to split your group up to deal with all four at once and take them all down together like the ZG tiger boss with his adds. At least that's what I saw. However, I did see some groups do it one by one but they usually died pretty quickly.

Hope the streams are good tonight as well.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
notworksafe said:
Ugh, when I look back on stuff that WoW used to do I'm so much happier with the changes. Like when bosses just directly dropped tier gear that only one class could use.

It was totally awesome getting all those Shaman drops while playing as Alliance. :|

Also just playing as a Paladin in Vanilla. What a joke the class was back then. Another reason I can't stand the bitching of the current Paladin player base. I mean, come on! Blessing of Kings used to be a Ret 31-point talent! Are you kidding me? Consecration was a Holy talent! Prot Paladin was so shit it might as well have not existed (just thinking about the old Blessing of Sanctuary makes me sad). Same for Ret other than leveling, really. Horrendous...

lolhealingplate

Bisnic said:
Lol this is stupid, they update everything, you can fly everywhere in the game except a few lvl 1-20 zones for blood elves & draeneis. And i assume, Isle of Queldanas too(not that this one matter anyway, no one goes there unless they want the Sunwell achievement.)

I guess i know where my future blood elves & draeneis will lvl.
To be fair, those zones aren't changed because they were designed with TBC sensibilities, and TBC questing is pretty similar to the Wrath/Cata model.

Azwethinkweiz said:
Death strike heals you and gives you a shield. The shield is your mastery ability based on your Death Strike. What the hell do you think the "Improved Death Strike" talent does?

For reference

I did say I may have dropped the ball :lol Its because I don't notice the heals as I used to have green text popping up from DS etc but now I get nothing popping up so Ive not noticed!

Flib

J-Rzez said:

I'm talking about my experience on beta. While obviously some tweaking is still needed, it's in MUCH MUCH better shape than 4.01 level 80 play is.

Magnus

@the paladin changes and the comments, seriously! Has any other class changed so dramatically over the last five years?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
J-Rzez said:

The argument that the game is balanced for 85 isn't without merit. It really isn't. Just think about it rationally.

Regardless of how angry you get, you have to consider the fact that it's actually true. The problem is that you're basing your argument that it isn't balanced at 85 on nothing since you aren't in beta.

I hate when I try to log in early during maintenance and I get the Unable to Log In message because it always makes me think in the back of my head that my account was hacked (again).

*shiver*

Angry Grimace

Mr Nash said:
My big issue has been server stability, especially when entering an instance. It's a crap shoot whether I'll stay connected while zoning in, and the same holds true for almost everyone else in the group. On the plus side, it's been kind of useful that most of the PvP gear is buyable with honor now without the need for an arena ranking. Got the i270 shield for my pally tank. I couldn't say no to 181 stamina (although I've been hard pressed to find a tank shield in WotLK that isn't ugly as sin, this one included). :p
Royal Crest of Lordaeron is my favorite shield in all of WoW, tied with the Bulwark of Azzinoth.

Too bad it's only level 200.

It, along with Slayer of the Lifeless, are items I will never sell.

Aurarian

Angry Grimace said:
Royal Crest of Lordaeron is my favorite shield in all of WoW, tied with the Bulwark of Azzinoth.

Too bad it's only level 200.

It, along with Slayer of the Lifeless, are items I will never sell.

The Bulwark is like the personification of the warrior class. I've yet to grab it from BT but I have always wanted it and the crest I have kept in my bank as well. Ever since I saw the model from before Wrath came out, I always wanted it. Fucking great shields.

Aurarian said:
The Bulwark is like the personification of the warrior class. I've yet to grab it from BT but I have always wanted it and the crest I have kept in my bank as well. Ever since I saw the model from before Wrath came out, I always wanted it. Fucking great shields.
=( I still use the crest. So noob. And the Red Sword of Courage. No wonder people don't want me in their groups. =P

Angry Grimace

I haven't really looked into it, but are tanks supposed to use slow DPS weapons in Cataclsym? Or do we still have weapons with "defensive" stats on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom