• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
mclem said:
I think I saw a blue post somewhere which suggested that JP earned above the cap should be converted to cash (yes, even after the hardcap conversion). I'll see if I can find the quote.

Edit: http://blue.mmo-champion.com/t/27292696217/holiday-event-locking-up-amp-no-loot-etc/

This is specifically referring to the holiday bags; not sure if it applies to all JP earned. It does sort of make sense if it does, since that's a nice parallel when compared with the gold-for-xp-at-max-level thing.

It refers to everything JP related. I'm getting nothing when I kill Heroic/Raid bosses.

Dunlop

Azwethinkweiz said:
If your badges converted to a number over 4000, it gave you that number. However, you can't accrue anymore on top of that.

which brings me back to:

- no reason to run dailies for most people's main's (making Queue times longer for those who need)
- ICC is now easy mode, but lengthened to long list of technical issues. WOTLK was not designed for this new system
- PVP is fubar atm
- New content was is in 6 weeks, as the questlines will be completely redone, there is no real point to rolling an alt now
- Game has huge DC issues that usually involve ctr-alt-delete/end task kind of termination

WTF was there strategy to implementing this so far from Cata, aside from getting us to pay to beta test?

For me personally, my guild is newly formed so this is good training wheels for us. But for long established guilds and players this must be infuriating (outside of the normal WOW nerdrage over the slightest change)

I really need a goal with this game. I have too many characters of varying level ranges and I get stymied rather quickly.

My prot warrior who was my main is a little inaccessible to me now because I don't have a guild to learn dungeons with and PUGs are used to a certain style of 'run and gun' through heroics that I am finding it difficult to keep up with. Also, the 'random heroic' tool is kind of a pain because it keeps putting me into places that I can't reliably tank with my gear and lack of familiarity.

What I need is an upgrade schedule and a goal list. Any good sites that I can use for this? My armory is finally up... http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Darkspear&cn=Wilco if anyone wants to take a look and tell me where to focus on.

Or I could dust off my 70 priest or druid and level them as healers--but leveling is booooring.

Flib

Dunlop said:
which brings me back to:

- no reason to run dailies for most people's main's (making Queue times longer for those who need)
- ICC is now easy mode, but lengthened to long list of technical issues. WOTLK was not designed for this new system
- PVP is fubar atm
- New content was is in 6 weeks, as the questlines will be completely redone, there is no real point to rolling an alt now
- Game has huge DC issues that usually involve ctr-alt-delete/end task kind of termination

WTF was there strategy to implementing this so far from Cata, aside from getting us to pay to beta test?

For me personally, my guild is newly formed so this is good training wheels for us. But for long established guilds and players this must be infuriating (outside of the normal WOW nerdrage over the slightest change)

There is a lot of tweaking which can unfortunately be done only on live servers. They do this now so that the game is actually playable by the time the expansion drops.

And the new world (for leveling alts), will probably drop in like 3-4 weeks.

Flib

SnakeswithLasers said:
I really need a goal with this game. I have too many characters of varying level ranges and I get stymied rather quickly.

My prot warrior who was my main is a little inaccessible to me now because I don't have a guild to learn dungeons with and PUGs are used to a certain style of 'run and gun' through heroics that I am finding it difficult to keep up with. Also, the 'random heroic' tool is kind of a pain because it keeps putting me into places that I can't reliably tank with my gear and lack of familiarity.

What I need is an upgrade schedule and a goal list. Any good sites that I can use for this? My armory is finally up... http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Darkspear&cn=Wilco if anyone wants to take a look and tell me where to focus on.

Or I could dust off my 70 priest or druid and level them as healers--but leveling is booooring.

What you should be doing is preparing for Cata, since nothing else really matters right now. You should decide who you will level up first and get that character in decent shape gear/money-wise. You'll be replacing pieces immediately in Cata, but the mobs hit like trucks until you do, so decent gear doesn't hurt.

I know the random dungeons can be a pain, but I would recommend sticking with them. While the way you're going to be doing dungeons in Cata will be different (the pace will be slower and more controlled), the dungeons are definitely tougher and you will need to be comfortable tanking. Plus once you get some better gear through JP points and drops, tanking gets a ton easier. I feel like you may be overthinking tanking in its current state though. You can pretty much ignore most of the mechanics because you can get healed through everything, so don't stress out as much. Don't get comfortable with that in the long run, but don't think you really need to study up and memorize these dungeons...just jump right in. They're all linear and outside of not standing in void zones, there is nothing special you really need to know. Encounters like the Tribunal of Ages in Halls of Stone are good practice though.

Also, join a casual/leveling guild in the meantim

Dunlop

Flib said:
There is a lot of tweaking which can unfortunately be done only on live servers. They do this now so that the game is actually playable by the time the expansion drops.

I get that but there are some glaring serious issues that were carried over from the PTR, this should have spent at least another 2 weeks getting the kinks out, the cog issue is unforgivable now. if the fix is to remove tooltips, then in the shorterm disble tooltips for anyone logging into an instance to save them 20 minutes of trying to get back online.

I recently leveled alchemy and there is a problem at 450 where you are not offered any transmute recipes, this is confirmed by multiple people in the WOW forums and a week later they are still not back obviously because they are dealing with a shitload of other more serious problems. It is a fix that could easily be fixed if there was a person free to do it and I imagine there are dozens of other small issues that are not getting fixed as well for this reason

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'll probably waste the first day of 4.0.3 flying around the 2 old continents on my main just for the fun of exploring everything i couldnt before.

By the way, what will happen once 4.0.3 hits and you try to fly to Hyjal or Uldum for example? We'll just get a loading screen leading to nowhere and we'll be back to where we were prior to entering the zones?

Flib

Bisnic said:
I'll probably waste the first day of 4.0.3 flying around the 2 old continents on my main just for the fun of exploring everything i couldnt before.

By the way, what will happen once 4.0.3 hits and you try to fly to Hyjal or Uldum for example? We'll just get a loading screen leading to nowhere and we'll be back to where we were prior to entering the zones?

You can't fly unless you buy cataclysm. It's how they gate the content.

Hixx

Ret Paladin is surprisingly entertaining at 85. Premade character could do with more haste as there were a few periods of waiting for CS to come off cooldown but otherwise quite enjoyed it.

Now if the mage and DK pre-mades would like to show up...

Flib said:
What you should be doing is preparing for Cata, since nothing else really matters right now. You should decide who you will level up first and get that character in decent shape gear/money-wise. You'll be replacing pieces immediately in Cata, but the mobs hit like trucks until you do, so decent gear doesn't hurt.

I know the random dungeons can be a pain, but I would recommend sticking with them. While the way you're going to be doing dungeons in Cata will be different (the pace will be slower and more controlled), the dungeons are definitely tougher and you will need to be comfortable tanking. Plus once you get some better gear through JP points and drops, tanking gets a ton easier. I feel like you may be overthinking tanking in its current state though. You can pretty much ignore most of the mechanics because you can get healed through everything, so don't stress out as much. Don't get comfortable with that in the long run, but don't think you really need to study up and memorize these dungeons...just jump right in. They're all linear and outside of not standing in void zones, there is nothing special you really need to know. Encounters like the Tribunal of Ages in Halls of Stone are good practice though.

Also, join a casual/leveling guild in the meantim
Thanks for the advice. I think my warrior will be my first priority in Cata, so I'm mainly just focusing on him--but all of his JP are going to my paladin (41) so I can have a coast through her leveling and eventually decide if I want to Prot or Holy at 85.

I really have always enjoyed healing, but staring at health bars gets old a lot faster than tanking, so that's where my attention is going. DPS is just boring for me.

I think my problem with over-thinking is that while I was playing a lot, I enjoyed being a GOOD tank with a grasp on the fundamentals and the encounters, so it's frustrating to be the weak link now. But if the heroics are just mainly tank and spank due to everyone's gear level, I'll just do that--and not stand in the fire/poison/yuck.

Although, how is healing in the beta? I like my druid and priest, so maybe I could just go and level them instead...

Flib

SnakeswithLasers said:
Thanks for the advice. I think my warrior will be my first priority in Cata, so I'm mainly just focusing on him--but all of his JP are going to my paladin (41) so I can have a coast through her leveling and eventually decide if I want to Prot or Holy at 85.

I really have always enjoyed healing, but staring at health bars gets old a lot faster than tanking, so that's where my attention is going. DPS is just boring for me.

I think my problem with over-thinking is that while I was playing a lot, I enjoyed being a GOOD tank with a grasp on the fundamentals and the encounters, so it's frustrating to be the weak link now. But if the heroics are just mainly tank and spank due to everyone's gear level, I'll just do that--and not stand in the fire/poison/yuck.

Although, how is healing in the beta? I like my druid and priest, so maybe I could just go and level them instead...

Warriors also have threat generation issues compared to the other tanks right now on live. Hopefully things will get better. Regarding good tanking habits, I completely agree, but it's just not what the game rewards right now. In Cataclysm, that changes (they once again also have bosses which require the tank to actually do something...check out this encounter from the lowest level Cata dungeon: http://www.wowwiki.com/Karsh_Steelbender )

Healing is an acquired taste in beta. It's way, way harder than it is on live. You'll need to be comfortable with mana being a real issue and having to use a much wider range of spells. Also, people in your groups will die. You will sometimes wipe. In the beta, people have been overall pretty friendly and ok with rolling with the punches in some of the tough content, but I'm sure that won't last on live realms.

I know I always pump it up, but Druid tanking is really fun now (especially once you get to level 81), so you could always level your druid up as a tank/healer (my druid is main-spec bear, off-spec resto).

Rapstah

EU realms are hell right now, instances won't load if you join them when you get the alert, you have to join it, wait for the loading screen to time out and then use the "teleport to instance" button. What people are doing is apparently shutting off their games when the first loading screen is stuck and then they can't access that character. So many broken theories in broken grammar in trade chat and no way to do the weekly, sigh.

Flib

Heroic Blackrock Caverns is a beast. Check out TotalBiscuit's videos of it (the full version and the seperate video of them not being able to get past the first boss) for a taste.

Flib said:
Heroic Blackrock Caverns is a beast. Check out TotalBiscuit's videos of it (the full version and the seperate video of them not being able to get past the first boss) for a taste.

That's nothing, check out Heroic Grim Batol.

Flib

Azwethinkweiz said:
That's nothing, check out Heroic Grim Batol.

Oh, I've done that as well. Took us close to two hours to get through. The boss in the central forge area (the giant with the weapon/armor procs) was pretty absurd.

Flib said:
Oh, I've done that as well. Took us close to two hours to get through. The boss in the central forge area (the giant with the weapon/armor procs) was pretty absurd.

The forgemaster? Yeah I did it with a pug and it took us 45 minutes just to do him. That flame shield phase leaves absolutely no room for error.

Flib said:
Warriors also have threat generation issues compared to the other tanks right now on live. Hopefully things will get better. Regarding good tanking habits, I completely agree, but it's just not what the game rewards right now. In Cataclysm, that changes (they once again also have bosses which require the tank to actually do something...check out this encounter from the lowest level Cata dungeon: http://www.wowwiki.com/Karsh_Steelbender )

Healing is an acquired taste in beta. It's way, way harder than it is on live. You'll need to be comfortable with mana being a real issue and having to use a much wider range of spells. Also, people in your groups will die. You will sometimes wipe. In the beta, people have been overall pretty friendly and ok with rolling with the punches in some of the tough content, but I'm sure that won't last on live realms.

I know I always pump it up, but Druid tanking is really fun now (especially once you get to level 81), so you could always level your druid up as a tank/healer (my druid is main-spec bear, off-spec resto).
Man, I'm really excited to get back to actual "group" dynamic encounters. Sounds fun to use Sap again, and focus a target...

I think I'll just run a dungeon each with my druid and priest to get them a bit of xp and gold, then do heroics on my warrior for JP and not worry about being a scrub.

Leveling an Alt is quite fun right now but Im up to STV area and I don't think I can handle killing twelve million forms of wildlife for the fourth time. Might just use my druid as a mes about in PVP as it seems lower levels Alliance isnt half bad, once you get to 80 its a clusterfuck and not fun atall.

Johnlenham said:
Leveling an Alt is quite fun right now but Im up to STV area and I don't think I can handle killing twelve million forms of wildlife for the fourth time. Might just use my druid as a mes about in PVP as it seems lower levels Alliance isnt half bad, once you get to 80 its a clusterfuck and not fun atall.
I just got my Paladin to 41 and I have to say, STV is a lot different having a mount and then an epic mount. That zone used to be a nightmare in your 30s--but it really made level 40, and your new mount, feel deliciously good after running up and down that road 14 times, getting ganked by 60s non-stop. Was there even a flightpath to Booty Bay originally? For some reason I feel like there wasn't.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Is it just a pipe dream to hope that Frost PvE will be competitive?

It's a really fun spec (almost fire-levels of fun) other than the clunky ass Deep Freeze spell (which would be fixed if it caused damage to all mobs rather than just boss level mobs, which is not even an unrealistic goal)

Songbird

Prodigal Son
So, hey! I just started a 10 day trial after not playing since Burning Crusade. Love the new patcher, makes things so much easier.

Just got yelled at by a horseman of the apocalypse to run to safety whilst the server was rebooting! :D

Ed: I can start a Death Knight on the trial!?
Spoilers: Nope, icon just selectable now.

Flib

Thnikkaman said:
So, hey! I just started a 10 day trial after not playing since Burning Crusade. Love the new patcher, makes things so much easier.

Just got yelled at by a horseman of the apocalypse to run to safety whilst the server was rebooting! :D

Ed: I can start a Death Knight on the trial!?

You have to have a level 55 character to be able to start one.

Angry Grimace said:
Is it just a pipe dream to hope that Frost PvE will be competitive?

It's a really fun spec (almost fire-levels of fun) other than the clunky ass Deep Freeze spell (which would be fixed if it caused damage to all mobs rather than just boss level mobs, which is not even an unrealistic goal)

Frost PvE is very competitive. Just not on that class.

Rapstah

Patchwerk Must Die! was the weekly, but the off tank and a bunch of melee DPS had no idea what to do leading to the death of most of these melee DPS. Seven-manned it and got the three minute achievement! Could easily have been twice as hard, but I shouldn't be complaining about 10-man normal.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
keeblerdrow said:
Frost PvE is very competitive. Just not on that class.

Im not sure i understand what you mean. Frost PVE is very comptetitive, but not on the mage class?

lolwut

edit nvm, forgot about DKs.

Manus

I'm loving Unholy spec right now, I'm leveling a DK alt and it's been a blast. He's sitting at level 73 and I want to get him geared up before Cata launches.

Hixx

So I spent a bit of time with my premade mage/paladin/dk tonight on the dummies. No buffs other than class buffs obviously...

Mage was fire spec. 5 mins, dps according to recount: 9.6k dps
Paladin obviously ret: 9.5k dps
Death Knight was unholy: 11098 dps (was still rising when I stopped at 5 mins too)

I main a fire mage on live at the moment because I enjoy it but out of those 3 specs I found the mage by far the most boring. May be down to having less than 10% crit unbuffed... ouch. Unholy DK's are in a good place at the moment. Now to find some people to go raiding with... or go back on Super Meat Boy. Hmm.

Flib

HixxSAFC said:
So I spent a bit of time with my premade mage/paladin/dk tonight on the dummies. No buffs other than class buffs obviously...

Mage was fire spec. 5 mins, dps according to recount: 9.6k dps
Paladin obviously ret: 9.5k dps
Death Knight was unholy: 11098 dps (was still rising when I stopped at 5 mins too)

I main a fire mage on live at the moment because I enjoy it but out of those 3 specs I found the mage by far the most boring. May be down to having less than 10% crit unbuffed... ouch. Unholy DK's are in a good place at the moment. Now to find some people to go raiding with... or go back on Super Meat Boy. Hmm.

Super Meat Boy is the clear choice :D

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Checking out some of the videos on mmo-champs for raid bosses. Holy crap at throne of the four winds :lol

But the 25 man raid video made it look kinda easy. I figured jumping back and fourth would be key. No idea how that's meant to happen in a 10 man though.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
I've had just about enough of the shade of the horseman. Is it possible to shut him up? Will turn off game voices entirely if needed.

Ed: Here he goes again. Really wish I could slap this guy.

Hey guys, I'm not getting a whole lot of help in the PC thread so I thought I'd ask here.

I'm getting dragged back into WoW and need a new system (including monitor). My goal is to run everythign at max settings with 60fps (though I know I'll never get that in Dalaran). I'm going through Dell mostly because I can get financing and would like to just get this system now and pay it off when my tax return comes in. I fully understand the pros of building my own system.

Below are 2 systems I've configured. The video card isn't a big deal to me since I would be upgrading it sometime in the coming year, as long as what I start with won't be a bottle neck. Also note that I'll be getting another $75 off the price listed below through my employer.

Anyway, I would like to know what you guys think of these. The first one seems better to me but the second one has a better proc (which I guess is the most important thing for WoW but I'll be playing other games too).

Studio XPS 7100 - $1219.99
PROCESSOR AMD Phenom™ II X6 1045T (2.7GHz/9MB cache)
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English
MEMORY 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 4 DIMMs
VIDEO CARD ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB
HARD DRIVE 1TB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache
OPTICAL DRIVE Blu-ray Disc (BD) Combo (Reads BD and Writes to DVD/CD)
MONITOR Dell ST2420L 24"W Full HD Monitor, 24.0 VIS, VGA Cable supplied only
SOUND CARD THX® TruStudio PC™

Studio XPS 8100 - $1207.99
PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ i5-760 processor(8MB Cache, 2.8GHz)
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English
MEMORY 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 4 DIMMs
MONITOR Dell ST2420L 24"W Full HD Monitor, 24.0 VIS, VGA Cable supplied only
VIDEO CARD ATI Radeon HD 5450 1GB DDR3
HARD DRIVE 1TB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache
OPTICAL DRIVE 16X DVD+/-RW Drive

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Wow they really need to tone down low level tank DPS. Every random I jump in, the tank is 1st on dps (warriors, pallys, and druids) and everything dies before even 1 tick of my Corruption or Bane of Agony. So demoralizing.

notworksafe

sykoex said:
Wow they really need to tone down low level tank DPS. Every random I jump in, the tank is 1st on dps (warriors, pallys, and druids) and everything dies before even 1 tick of my Corruption or Bane of Agony. So demoralizing.
Tank DPS has been out of control at low levels for a while. As a leveling Bear, I'm quite pleased. I could imagine the DPS being less so, however.

@LaserBuddha The first one seems better to me as well. Either one will have no problems running WoW at 60 FPS in Ultra mode, if that is your main concern.

Manus

sykoex said:

Yeah it was that way when I leveled my Warlock. It'll get better when you get to a higher level. Just SB spam single targets, or use Reign of Fire or Seed of Corruption for your AOE.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Haha! I kicked his ass! Halloween is saved.
Glad I came back already.

I also seem to have received two pets, one from Blizz and a penguin from "Breanni"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom