• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
notworksafe said:
True. I just meant that either way his JP was going to be used on a transitional piece of gear. Either for leveling or getting into raids.
I understand the sentiment, but anyone who's played during the first few months of a new expansion can probably attest to how it's basically 10 times as fun as playing in the lame-duck pre expansion period and you'll like it that much better. I'd personally just save it at this point.

Something that the LFG kind of removes from the game is that back in Wrath, I had a huge friend list of people I'd met looking for groups to do whatever Heroics I hadn't done that day. You don't really need that anymore and could pretty much play the whole game without a guild if you really wanted to now.

Nymerio said:
The way I've had it is, grid + dominoes. I had one bar in dominoes setup with 4 rows each having 3 buttons bound to the 12 buttons on the Naga. With OmniCC you see directly which button on your mouse is on cooldown. Don't know what you mean with Curse, you can just setup Grid to display dispellable debuffs. I had that corner icon addon where each corner could have four indicators, that way you could have indicators for every debuff type, but since the new blizzard raid frames came out I've ditched grid completly, the standard frames do an awesome job.

For macros I alway use:

Code:
#showtooltip
/stopcasting
/cast [target=mouseover] Renew

Sorry, I meantClique, for the mouseover functionality.

So what you're saying is, you no longer use Grid or anything, just the built-in raid frames and mouseover macros? I guess if the debuffs are clear enough for me to see then I can just do that, no addons needed.

Someone on another forum gave this as a macro (but he wasnt sure if he was remembering it right):

/macro
Create new macro
/cast [target=mouseover,exists]Flash Heal
/cast Flash Heal

He said that would cast the spell on you if the mouse isn't over another eligible target. Will yours do the same thing? If so I'll probably be accidentally healing myself A LOT in the beginning.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
LaserBuddha said:

So what you're saying is, you no longer use Grid or anything, just the built-in raid frames and mouseover macros? I guess if the debuffs are clear enough for me to see then I can just do that, no addons needed.

I'd still prefer Grid just for the looks and compact interface, over the default raid frames.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
I don't understand your question.

The system is essentially the same as the Badge system used in Wrath but the points themselves never change, just what you can buy with them. The purpose of the system is to avoid having the fiasco of WLK where there were 5 different types which you have to up and downgrade all the time.

AFAIK the design is that as new raid tiers are released, the previous VP tiers turn to JP tiers.
my question is if i'm understanding things correctly which lead me to this conclusion. very different:

Assuming 232 gear through heroics was released with ICC, a guild that only did normal mode tier 9 was in 245.

Pretending that the level cap doesn't get raised and ICC raiders can start on tier 11 December 7th, a normal ICC guild would be in 264 and a someone that didn't raid would be in 251.

In cat, a normal mode guild can only get 5/5 359 and can't go above 359 in non tier gear. Assuming the head and shoulder stay tokens, someone farming heroics can get 3/5 359 gear, and non tier 359 currency gear, and join their tier 12 progression.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
need to get a physical auth cause my iphone messed up.

i see it's 6.50 on the blizzard store and takes 10 days to arrive?...

40 on amazon.com

oh my

Evlar

Banned
LaserBuddha said:

Someone on another forum gave this as a macro (but he wasnt sure if he was remembering it right):

/macro
Create new macro
/cast [target=mouseover,exists]Flash Heal
/cast Flash Heal

He said that would cast the spell on you if the mouse isn't over another eligible target. Will yours do the same thing? If so I'll probably be accidentally healing myself A LOT in the beginning.
As I parse it, that macro should follow this logic:

- If you are mousing over a frame it will attempt to cast Flash Heal on that target. This attempt will fail if the target is not eligible for healing from you (they are hostile).
- If your mouse is not pointing at a unit frame, or if the cast fails for the reason mentioned above, the Flash Heal cast will follow default priorities. First, it will attempt to cast Flash Heal on your Target frame.
- If you don't have anything selected for a Target frame, or if your Target is not an eligible target, it will cast Flash Heal on yourself.
- If you are ALSO not an eligible target (for instance, if you have a Power Word: Shield mouseover macro and use it while you have the Weakened Soul debuff) no casting will occur and you'll get the "Cannot cast that" warning.

Delio

I plan on making a Goblin Lock come Cata and i will be my first Lock. I'm going for Demonlogy and just wanted to get any tips on rotation and what not. Also should i go ahead and grab a heirloom to send to it right now or wait?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
DeathNote said:
my question is if i'm understanding things correctly which lead me to this conclusion. very different:

Assuming 232 gear through heroics was released with ICC, a guild that only did normal mode tier 9 was in 245.

Pretending that the level cap doesn't get raised and ICC raiders can start on tier 11 December 7th, a normal ICC guild would be in 264 and a someone that didn't raid would be in 251.

In cat, a normal mode guild can only get 5/5 359 and can't go above 359 in non tier gear. Assuming the head and shoulder stay tokens, someone farming heroics can get 3/5 359 gear, and non tier 359 currency gear, and join their tier 12 progression.
I'm sorry, I still don't understand what you're talking about. (I'm not trying to be a grammar cop, I just don't understand if you have a question or not)

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
I'm sorry, I still don't understand what you're talking about. (I'm not trying to be a grammar cop, I just don't understand if you have a question or not)
i have been doing research after each post. my knowledge has changed in each one.

as of the latest post:

there's a lot of people that only do normal man raiding right? previously, you'd never be able to get any of the same ilevel tier gear as them when the next tier released without doing the obsolete raid. now it looks like you can. thus, me asking if i'm understanding things correctly.

i also asked "If this will be a push for everyone to do heroics? " and "How much better will random gear be than tier?"

Angry Grimace

DeathNote said:
i have been doing research after each post. my knowledge has changed in each one.

as of the latest post:

there's a lot of people that only do normal man raiding right? previously, you'd never be able to get any of the same ilevel tier gear as them when the next tier released without doing the obsolete raid. now it looks like you can. thus, me asking if i'm understanding things correctly.

i also asked "If this will be a push for everyone to do heroics? " and "How much better will random gear be than tier?"
Who is "them?" And what are they doing? Throw me a bone here :lol

Just be content it works identically to WLK with the exception that there's not 10 AND 25 mans.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Delio said:
I plan on making a Goblin Lock come Cata and i will be my first Lock. I'm going for Demonlogy and just wanted to get any tips on rotation and what not. Also should i go ahead and grab a heirloom to send to it right now or wait?
I use Felguard most of the time, doing Incinerate > Bane of Agony > Corruption, then moving on to the next mob and doing the same thing. By the time the original mob goes down, the Felguard picks up the other one and finishes it off. It's basically the same as being a Hunter really. If mana becomes an issue (which it never really does) then I drop BoA from the rotation.

As for Heirlooms, it's entirely up to you. Running random dungeons throughout questing will eventually get you geared up anyway.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Angry Grimace said:
Who is "them?" And what are they doing? Throw me a bone here :lol

Just be content it works identically to WLK with the exception that there's not 10 AND 25 mans.

I think he's trying to say that now you can get the gear from the previous instances without actually going there, when a new one is released..?

I dunno, I'm just as lost as you :lol

Delio

speedpop said:
I use Felguard most of the time, doing Incinerate > Bane of Agony > Corruption, then moving on to the next mob and doing the same thing. By the time the original mob goes down, the Felguard picks up the other one and finishes it off. It's basically the same as being a Hunter really. If mana becomes an issue (which it never really does) then I drop BoA from the rotation.

As for Heirlooms, it's entirely up to you. Running random dungeons throughout questing will eventually get you geared up anyway.

Thanks a ton! Guess i'll hold out on Heirlooms then and stick to randoms.

Delio

Hah. Another question i toss in Shadow bolt or whatever in with the rotation as well right? And Hand of Guildan i heard. What i get for mostly playing Mage hah.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
OK, I understand I'm being a confusing crack head.

Let me start over.

-3/5 pieces of normal tier 11 are bought through currency. No tokens needed.
-All normal mode gear is iLevel 359
-That badass Archeology 2h is 359

Fact: When tier 12 hits, and there will surely be a lot of people that only did normal mode tier 11 raids, everyone that hasn't set foot in a raid will be wearing 3 of the same pieces of tier 11 gear as the normal mode raiders after grinding heroics.

Assumption: If they sell necks and cloaks and other shit at iLevel 359 for currency... people that never set foot in a raid will also seem to be able to have the same gear score as people who only did normal version.

Angry Grimace

DeathNote said:

Let me start over.

Fact: When tier 12 hits, and there will surely be a lot of people that only did normal mode tier 11 raids, everyone that hasn't set foot in a raid will be wearing 3 of the same pieces of tier 11 gear as the normal mode raiders.

Assumption: If they sell necks and cloaks and other shit at iLevel 359 for currency... people that never set foot in a raid will also seem to be able to have the same gear score as people who only did normal version.
This is the same model they've been using since Trial of the Crusader launched allowing you to get Triumphs for the Daily.

That's such an implausible scenario that I don't think they care. The idea that you would just do 0 raids to gear up for...a raid is kind of random.

Since there is worlock talk, guess it's a good time to ask questions!

I'm making my goblin a warlock, is there a "best" leveling spec? Last time I played a lock was TBC and I only got her to 66 so I'm in the dark about them.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
DeathNote said:

Let me start over.

Fact: When tier 12 hits, and there will surely be a lot of people that only did normal mode tier 11 raids, everyone that hasn't set foot in a raid will be wearing 3 of the same pieces of tier 11 gear as the normal mode raiders after grinding heroics.

You do realize it takes ages to get enough points for even ONE tier 11 item with heroic dungeons, right? Your theory assumes that there are people who spend five years doing heroics so they get "the same gear as the normal mode raiders".

To be honest there's nothing wrong with that if the guy is deranged enough to do the inferior content, then all power to him and congratulations for getting the tier 11 set right in time when it becomes obsolete :lol

MattPeters said:
Since there is worlock talk, guess it's a good time to ask questions!

I'm making my goblin a warlock, is there a "best" leveling spec? Last time I played a lock was TBC and I only got her to 66 so I'm in the dark about them.

I tried leveling a warlock to lvl 10 to see what sort of damage the felguard does then and he really wrecks shit, but I can assume other specs do at least similar amount of damage.. I guess the point of demonology is that it's safer. Might be that you don't kill stuff as fast as, say, Affliction.

Angry Grimace

Osaka said:
You do realize it takes ages to get enough points for even ONE tier 11 item with heroic dungeons, right? Your theory assumes that there are people who spend five years doing heroics so they get "the same gear as the normal mode raiders".

To be honest there's nothing wrong with that if the guy is deranged enough to do the inferior content, then all power to him and congratulations for getting the tier 11 set right in time when it becomes obsolete :lol
New raids are 4-6 bosses too. They aren't even long enough to justify not doing them.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
You get the same amount of VP for one 10man raid boss as you get for the daily heroic (75 Valor Points).

So let's say you do two 10man raids a week with..say.. 11 bosses in total, you get 825 Valor Points.

That's 11 days worth of daily heroics.

And that's half of tier 11 gloves.

There's seriously not one person who'd rather farm daily heroics for a month to get one piece when you get the same item in ~2 weeks in a normal 10man raid. Even less with 25man (they get 105VP).

And if there was someone unfortunate enough that he has no other option, fuck, let him take the heroic raid loot, he's suffered enough :lol

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
This is the same model they've been using since Trial of the Crusader launched allowing you to get Triumphs for the Daily.

That's such an implausible scenario that I don't think they care. The idea that you would just do 0 raids to gear up for...a raid is kind of random.
It's not entirely the same. While you can buy 251 tier 10 through heroics, you will never be able to wear the normal mode 264 tier 10 version without raiding.

Osaka said:

I tried leveling a warlock to lvl 10 to see what sort of damage the felguard does then and he really wrecks shit, but I can assume other specs do at least similar amount of damage.. I guess the point of demonology is that it's safer. Might be that you don't kill stuff as fast as, say, Affliction.
You are being way too defensive for this conversation... I'm taking an observational tone.

Why are you saying tier 11 will be obsolete? You will need it to raid in tier 12...

We don't know how much the 359 cost in Justice, but why would it cost a dreadful amount? Since they don't want to force people to run old raids, you will need 359 gear to start tier 12 raids. You are forced to get the same gear score as normal mode raiders to start tier 12 content.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
DeathNote said:
It's not entirely the same. While you can buy 251 tier 10 through heroics, you will never be able to wear the normal mode 264 tier 10 version without raiding.

You are being way too defensive for this conversation... I'm taking an observational tone.

Why are you saying tier 11 will be obsolete? You will need to to raid in tier 12...

Right now a 359 chest chest costs 2200 Valor. 346 chest costs 2200 Justice. Excluding random bonus, 2200 Justice is 137 boss kills right now, 29 at 85.

I just checked, there is a bunch of 359 non-tier currency gear. We don't know how much they will cost in Justice, but it's 100% possible to get the same gear score as normal mode raiders starting tier 12 after a few weeks of grinding heroics only.

I'm not being defensive, I'm just kinda confused how does your point matter? You get starting level raid gear for spending literally months in the same few 5man dungeons. Is this a bad thing?

EDIT:

I give up, there's no point to this argument since there won't be anyone who'd farm heroics for weeks instead of just doing a few tier 11 raids to get ready for tier 12.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Good, give up. You keep going into this nerd rage when I'm not criticizing anything.

Question,
When tier 12 hits, are they going to do a new season of Justice blues? Something higher than 346, possibly near 359, strong enough to do tier 12 normal raids?

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
DeathNote said:
Let me ask something before I reply, to see if I'm missing a piece of information.

When tier 12 hits, are they going to do a new season of Justice blues? Something higher than 346, possibly near 359, strong enough to do tier 12 normal raids?

Why would there be any higher level blue gear when there already is the fucking tier 11 epic set? :lol

Alright, I'm done now.

DeathNote said:
Let me ask something before I reply, to see if I'm missing a piece of information.

what?

When Tier 12 hits, you'll be able to buy tier 11, and other gear that had previously required valor points, with justice points.

Angry Grimace

DeathNote said:

Why are you saying tier 11 will be obsolete? You will need it to raid in tier 12...

We don't know how much the 359 cost in Justice, but why would it cost a dreadful amount? Since they don't want to force people to run old raids, you will need 359 gear to start tier 12 raids. You are forced to get the same gear score as normal mode raiders to start tier 12 content.
That's an inapposite argument because there isn't a 10m tier anymore.

DeathNote said:
Good, give up. You keep going into this nerd rage when I'm not criticizing anything.

Question,

I don't think you understand the system at all. It is exactly the same as the ToC model I just described. There just isn't a 10m gear model.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Here's every thought I could possibly have in a easy to read format. In past posts, I may have emphasized one line.

I'm pondering the trials for a new level 85 player during tier 12.

*If 359 gear is time efficient to get(something I assumed), and it looks like it's possible to get 16 pieces of 359 without setting foot in a raid:
-I wonder if heroic mode raid progression is intended to be a lot more common.
-Currency buyers would wear the same 3 pieces of tier 11 as normal mode raiders.
-Gear score spammers be damned for tier 12 normal mode.

*If 359 currency gear is hard to get:
-You will have to either A. Find a guild that isn't sick of running old instances, B. Get carried, C. Mess with pugs and their BS.
-Good chance to miss guild first kill progression.
-Introducing a new justice point "season" is an idea. iLevel 355 or something. Something buried in my mind that I guess is my own thought.

Angry Grimace

DeathNote said:
Here's every thought I could possibly have in a easy to read format. In past posts, I may have emphasized one line.

I'm pondering the trials for a new level 85 player during tier 12.

*If 359 gear is time efficient to get(something I assumed), and it looks like it's possible to get 16 pieces of 359 without setting foot in a raid:
-I wonder if heroic mode raid progression is intended to be a lot more common.
-Currency buyers would wear the same 3 pieces of tier 11 as normal mode raiders.
-Guild score spammers be damned for tier 12 normal mode.

*If 359 currency gear is hard to get:
-You will have to either A. Find a guild that isn't sick of running old instances, B. Get carried, C. Mess with pugs and their BS.
-Introducing a new justice point "season" is an idea. iLevel 355 or something. Something buried in my mind that I guess is my own thought.
The badge vendors don't have gear for all 16 slots. It's not any different than WLK raid tiers.

Alex

There's quite a ton of"best quest ever"' moments in Cataclysm, they did a phenomenal job on the mechanics and humor, it's another large leap over the prior release.

For me, it's especially great when you're coming off of the awful sanctioned grinding in a certain recent MMO and right into the Cata beta. Oh dear god is it ever. It's like sitting down to a massive feast after a month of raiding the dumpsters of a gruel factory.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Just got a Razzashi Hatchling.

Not sure if I want to keep or sell it. Can get 5k on my server, perhaps a ton more in a year.

Angry Grimace said:
The badge vendors don't have gear for all 16 slots. It's not any different than WLK raid tiers.
I didn't nessisairly say it would be currency only. With the archeology, currency, rep, craft, the only 359 gear I can't find for a DK is head and shoulder.

DeathNote said:
well it'd be nice to have in combo with a zg mount for rareness
There is the possibility that you won't be able to obtain them anymore after patch 4.0.3. Should save it just in case, and then you could probably sell it later for a lot more.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I'm no collector, but certain ones are too awesome not to have honestly. There's like 100+ I'd cherry pick from.

I got the grey-ish cat cause I love my 18 year old cat. The little reindeer is awesome. An Elwynn lamb. Phoenix Hatchling is eyecandy. Snowman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom