• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you hard up for cash? Then I wouldn't sell it. I mean its not like its hard to make money in this game. You should save it for either something you really want or just use it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Dr. Pangloss said:
Are you hard up for cash? Then I wouldn't sell it. I mean its not like its hard to make money in this game. You should save it for either something you really want or just use it.
It takes a lot of time to make money; it depends if you have absolutely nothing to do.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Rated Battlegrounds are broken down into three brackets. 10v10, 15v15 and 25v25. These brackets rotate weekly and can be viewed in-game via the calendar by activating the battleground holiday filter.
the fuck?

Nymerio

LaserBuddha said:
Sorry, I meantClique, for the mouseover functionality.

So what you're saying is, you no longer use Grid or anything, just the built-in raid frames and mouseover macros? I guess if the debuffs are clear enough for me to see then I can just do that, no addons needed.

Someone on another forum gave this as a macro (but he wasnt sure if he was remembering it right):

/macro
Create new macro
/cast [target=mouseover,exists]Flash Heal
/cast Flash Heal

He said that would cast the spell on you if the mouse isn't over another eligible target. Will yours do the same thing? If so I'll probably be accidentally healing myself A LOT in the beginning.

My macro would just give you the "Cannot cast spell" error if your trying to cast on a non eligible target. They way I see it your macro tries to cast Flash Heal on your mouseover target it you have one, if not it tries to cast Flash Heal on your current target, if you don't have a target, I guess it would cast Flash Heal on you if you have auto self cast enabled. I'd really recommend starting all your macros with /stopcasting. That way you instantly cancel a cast as soon as you want to cast different spell. I always cringe when I see people jumping to cancel a spell :)

Angry Grimace said:
It takes a lot of time to make money; it depends if you have absolutely nothing to do.

Tips to fast money:

-Daily Quests
-Random Dungeon
-Farm Materials to sale on AH or make goods to sale
-Use your profession (Enchant stuff, Cut gems, transmute stuff)
-Old quest experience to cash (Have an 80 alt who has basically all of Zul, Icecrown, and Storm Peaks to do. That is 300+ quests for about 6000g)
-Vendor Trash
-If you have the funds, corner the market on an item (cloth, elemental parts, herb, mineral)

I mean compared to vanilla I have moved on up to the east side with the Jeffersons. I went throughout all of vanilla with only the 60% mount. Now, I have 280% on both 80s and 9000 in the bank. It isn't hard to make money.

So I get my humbler set of T9, and wonder what to do next. I know! Get some heirlooms for my soon-to-be Worgen Rogue.

*checks heirloom vendor*

FFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

PS: My Worgen Rogue is going to be named Backpayne. Post your Golbin/Worgen alt names!

mclem

notworksafe said:

There's a British charity called Comic Relief. I did a special 10-man Naxx on the day Comic Relief took place back in 2009, with a theme of 'bounties'; I'd donate money based to the charity based on how we performed. It was something like a penny for every second we took under five hours, plus penalties for deaths and bonuses for interesting achievements. I put a big amount on The Undying, given we'd never got anywhere near it prior to then.

Somehow, the team I got together - on a nonraid day, at that - stepped up and performed and got the damn thing.

So, in a *sense*, I paid £25 to get The Undying. Understandably, I have no objections :)

We have never managed it since.

mclem

DeathNote said:
after you paste, can it tell what you delete from it?

In theory, yes. In practice, I *suspect* that might be more effort than they're willing to expend, because it'd probably require human effort to do a bit of cross-referencing; I suspect that that wouldn't be possible to be an entirely automated process.

They'd be able to get all the necessary information, it's whether they can be bothered to put it together is questionable.

Don't rely on that to keep your account safe.

Lolligag said:
T9? I hope you mean 10, unless this wasn't recent.

No, it's T9 (Conqueror's Velen's Regalia). I haven't played in a long time and the only raiding I ever really did was Naxx. Since my guild looks to be in shambles until Cata comes out, I'm just running random heroics.

Don't see much reason to gear up further at this point, though I wish I hadn't bothered at all and saved it for the overpriced heirlooms honestly.

Evlar

Banned
LaserBuddha said:
No, it's T9 (Conqueror's Velen's Regalia). I haven't played in a long time and the only raiding I ever really did was Naxx. Since my guild looks to be in shambles until Cata comes out, I'm just running random heroics.

Don't see much reason to gear up further at this point, though I wish I hadn't bothered at all and saved it for the overpriced heirlooms honestly.
You can get T10 with the Justice Points you get in heroics. I mean, as long as you're farming the points anyway...

Angry Grimace

Dr. Pangloss said:
Tips to fast money:

-Daily Quests
-Random Dungeon
-Farm Materials to sale on AH or make goods to sale
-Use your profession (Enchant stuff, Cut gems, transmute stuff)
-Old quest experience to cash (Have an 80 alt who has basically all of Zul, Icecrown, and Storm Peaks to do. That is 300+ quests for about 6000g)
-Vendor Trash
-If you have the funds, corner the market on an item (cloth, elemental parts, herb, mineral)

I mean compared to vanilla I have moved on up to the east side with the Jeffersons. I went throughout all of vanilla with only the 60% mount. Now, I have 280% on both 80s and 9000 in the bank. It isn't hard to make money.
Well yeah, I have 280% on 6 characters. But it took a couple of years.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
So I just hit 80 on my Shadow Priest, which instances should I try and get done? Also I have about 2k Honor Points, anything worth buying with those or should I just save them?

Rapstah

Ikuu said:
So I just hit 80 on my Shadow Priest, which instances should I try and get done? Also I have about 2k Honor Points, anything worth buying with those or should I just save them?
The Wrathful (item level 270) PVP items are very worth getting as part of an early PVE set: I'd suggest getting the helmet.

Angry Grimace

Ikuu said:
Just hit random dungeon until have lots of gear. I wouldn't worry too much about it, you probably literally can't get your GS high enough in the time remaining to get into any serious raids.

Acidote

I was bored so..

2ru64l.jpg

Ikuu said:

Go to Wintersgrasp and get some nice things from the vendor. You can get a neck, cloak, bracers, belt, feet, ring, and trinkets that all cost 280 honor each. Then do some instances for justice points and get the Tier 9 or 10 for the rest of the slots. I have been getting the Tier 10 for hands and shoulders because they are the cheapest at 700 points and you get the 2 piece bonus. The rest I fill out with random or lower tiers. Go to Heroic Nexus. The final boss drops a nice epic mace with 511 spell power. That with a 70 honor points offhand from the wrathful vendor will set you up nicely.

You can do some of the lower raids after you get all this stuff. I joined some VoA groups and OS groups around 4.4k gs since that was the criteria they were looking for.

Angry Grimace

Dr. Pangloss said:
Go to Wintersgrasp and get some nice things from the vendor. You can get a neck, cloak, bracers, belt, feet, ring, and trinkets that all cost 280 honor each. Then do some instances for justice points and get the Tier 9 or 10 for the rest of the slots. I have been getting the Tier 10 for hands and shoulders because they are the cheapest at 700 points and you get the 2 piece bonus. The rest I fill out with random or lower tiers. Go to Heroic Nexus. The final boss drops a nice epic mace with 511 spell power. That with a 70 honor points offhand from the wrathful vendor will set you up nicely.

You can do some of the lower raids after you get all this stuff. I joined some VoA groups and OS groups around 4.4k gs since that was the criteria they were looking for.
....or you could just run H ICC 5's and get lots of 219s.

Sciz

Looking through the Cata alchemy recipes on Wowhead, it seems that there's no lotus this time around. Joy and jubilation all around.

On the other hand, the drake mount costs 24k in vendor mats plus a bunch of what is essentially arcanite. D:

Cost of Sandstone Drake mats: 24,000g

Canceling out of Sandstone Drake form and dropping your buddy to his death (preferably while high above Engine of the Makers): Priceless

Thanks for reminding me about Azuregos. I found him today. There was a shaman fighting him but she was worn down. I couldn't solo him either, so we joined forces. I got all the loot, including Typhoon (totally keeping that) and the sinew. Is there still a demand for that or should I just go ahead and give it to my hunter to have done the quest?

Will it even still be there? I assume you can still get sinews in Cata, from Winterspring, but you never know.

Sciz

Narag said:
Will the drake be alchemist-only or like the mechanohog and available to all?
The mount item is BoP, so alchemist-only.

LaserBuddha said:

Canceling out of Sandstone Drake form and dropping your buddy to his death (preferably while high above Engine of the Makers): Priceless
My buddies are all priests, druids, and pallies. D:

Sai-kun

Banned
LaserBuddha said:

Oh my god. Really? :(

Ugh I shoulda known. It will be mine though. No matter what.

J-Rzez

Angry Grimace said:
the fuck?

So, let me get this straight, I was planning on with the guild running the 10 man brackets. So, considering that's all we have interested there's going to be weeks we're locked out of rated bg's? Really? Seriously?

One step forward, two steps back...

Angry Grimace

J-Rzez said:
So, let me get this straight, I was planning on with the guild running the 10 man brackets. So, considering that's all we have interested there's going to be weeks we're locked out of rated bg's? Really? Seriously?

One step forward, two steps back...
Blizzard says to just pug some randoms. Yes, that is exactly what they said.

Angry Grimace

Evlar said:
You know you won't have to pug any more than you have to pug now.
...what? You don't pug anyone for Rated BG's now because they aren't rated. The problem is that you have a personal rating and they are rotating the brackets for Rated BGs so that if you don't just have 30 guys on standby you cannot do Rated BGs at all. If you PUG players, you're likely to just lose, which means you can't get a decent rating.

If you have a good 10 man wrecking crew, you just can't do anything for 2 weeks at a time.

J-Rzez

Angry Grimace said:
Blizzard says to just pug some randoms. Yes, that is exactly what they said.

This company is something else. Who seriously thought this was a good idea to do? Way to get everyone excited, then pull this bs where you'd have to pug in some people, in which who knows how well they'll play, and then throw out your guild's teams strategy and risk losing due to idiots.

Then again, why am I not surprised anymore that they'd do something like this? This was something people were looking forward to, then they do this to screw it/you over, typical Blizzard think-tank.

Where is the link to the thread of this non-sense Grimace, I want to read their logic behind this, and the community's response.

Evlar

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
...what?

The problem is that they are literally rotating the brackets for Rated BGs so that if you don't just have 30 guys on standby you cannot do Rated BGs at all. If you PUG players, you're likely to just lose, which just lowers your rating.

If you have a good 10 man wrecking crew, you just can't do anything for 2 weeks at a time.
... What? I said you didn't have to pug. I never said you should. That would be nearly precisely opposite of what I said.

And the last sentence is patently false. Of course you can play BGs any day of any week, and you can play with your normal "crew". You just won't get Conquest Points for it.

Angry Grimace

Evlar said:
... What? I said you didn't have to pug. I never said you should. That would be nearly precisely opposite of what I said.

And the last sentence is patently false. Of course you can play BGs any day of any week, and you can play with your normal "crew". You just won't get Conquest Points for it.
I don't even know what you're talking about. It's only patently false if you're incapable of understanding the premise, which only could apply if you were intentionally trying to not understand it because you would have to literally not understand the purpose of Rated BGs.

Under your argument, you don't need to do Rated BGs at all. Hell, you don't need to do PvP at all.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
I guess that's their solution to keep all 3 brackets alive. See 2v2, 3v3 and 5v5 arena brackets. Only 3v3 is really played.

Maybe they've done the math and decided that people can't get proper matchmaking with decent queues if all of them are rated at the same time.

I guess the 10man rated BG crew has to get some more mates for the 15 and 25man weeks and do it just for the rating, without Conquest Points and possible guild leveling.

It can't really be about being able to farm "too much" Conquest Points if you could just farm the same bracket every week, since you could just do that with arenas anyway since they don't rotate.

Evlar

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
I don't even know what you're talking about. It's only patently false if you're incapable of understanding the premise, which only could apply if you were intentionally trying to not understand it because you would have to literally not understand the purpose of Rated BGs.

Under your argument, you don't need to do Rated BGs at all. Hell, you don't need to do PvP at all.
Again, WTF are you talking about? You can run nothing but 10v10 Rated BGs one week out of three and climb the ladder with no trouble. You'll earn Conquest with no trouble, and your CP cap will move up with no trouble, assuming you don't suck. It'll move slower than someone running all three brackets, or Rated BGs and Arena, or all of the above... but you'll still go up and you'll still get rewarded. And, of course, you can do whatever you like on the off-weeks, including running BGs with your normal group if that pleases you, and earn Honor just like you do today.

EDIT: Osaka, I think your first answer is correct. 10v10 BGs are even more different in strategy and team composition than the gap from 2v2 Arena to 5v5. They don't want half the BGs left unused or punished with huge queue times.

Angry Grimace

The new enchantments have WAY too strong of a graphical effect if they actually look like what they do on MMO-C's preview.

Evlar said:
Again, WTF are you talking about? You can run nothing but 10v10 Rated BGs one week out of three and climb the ladder with no trouble. You'll earn Conquest with no trouble, and your CP cap will move up with no trouble, assuming you don't suck. It'll move slower than someone running all three brackets, or Rated BGs and Arena, or all of the above... but you'll still go up and you'll still get rewarded. And, of course, you can do whatever you like on the off-weeks, including running BGs with your normal group if that pleases you, and earn Honor just like you do today.
That argument is so blatantly without any semblance of context I have no intent of responding anymore.

DarkJC

Angry Grimace said:
The new enchantments have WAY too strong of a graphical effect if they actually look like what they do on MMO-C's preview.

I might be wrong but I'm under the impression that's the effect when it procs.

edit: actually yeah I'm 99% sure I'm wrong.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
It obviously helps with queue times.

I wonder how much fun each bracket will be.

AV is a clusterfuck with 40, and that's a lot of ground for 10.
AB down from 15 to 10 and up to 25 is interesting.

DarkJC

Are you really going to be able to take 25 people into AB or 10 people into AV? I was under the impression that AV would be for 25s only, etc.

Evlar

Banned
DeathNote said:
It obviously helps with queue times.

I wonder how much fun each bracket will be.

AV is a clusterfuck with 40, and that's a lot of ground for 10.
AB down from 15 to 10 and up to 25 is interesting.
As I understand it, the caps for each BG aren't changing. During the 15v15 week you can only run rated BGs for the BGs that are normally 15v15- Arathi Basin, Eye of the Storm, and Strand of the Ancients.

The other BGs will still be available for non-rated play, of course.

J-Rzez said:
Then again, why am I not surprised anymore that they'd do something like this? This was something people were looking forward to, then they do this to screw it/you over, typical Blizzard think-tank.

I guess it shows what a shitty community WoW PVP is when so many of them think that this is a legitimate characterization of Blizzard. Honestly I don't even know why you'd want to keep playing if you really thought Blizzard constantly fucked everything up like this.

In reality they are an incredible developer that doesn't head precisely in the direction you desire with their decisions every single time.

Evlar said:

Maybe I can help you rephrase that to better get your point across:

BG's will be exactly the way they are now, but with the added bonus that every third week each bracket is rated and grants CP.
lol CP

P.S. Blizzard likes to encourage the habit of trying out different things and in particular socializing more. Guild leveling and bonuses for queuing in random dungeons rather than specific ones are examples of this. Maybe they believe that people getting out of their comfort zone and trying the other brackets, as well as making new teammates, is itself deserving of reward, in this case CP.
lol CP

People can't get over the logical fallacy that because they can't get something new that they want without doing something they don't want to do, then that thing has been taken from them, even though they never had it before.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I added Demonology as my second spec for levelling when Cata hits.
So i thought i'd solo stuff.

Ramparts was easy as fuck, but on heroic? Those guys do hit considerably harder.
Still, i think you could easily earn more cash running that place or similar over and over than doing dailies. Got like 40g thanks to blue drops and such in 15 minutes.

EDIT: Companions are cool, but having to summon them all the time? Put me off big time, can't be arsed with that.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
wtf is up with the netherwing eggs? they aren't spawning for shit.

Evlar said:
As I understand it, the caps for each BG aren't changing. During the 15v15 week you can only run rated BGs for the BGs that are normally 15v15- Arathi Basin, Eye of the Storm, and Strand of the Ancients.

The other BGs will still be available for non-rated play, of course.
oh, it thought you could do any at any bracket

LaserBuddha said:

Are they vendor mats like the hog or can I farm them?

Angry Grimace said:
I'm okay with the ones that don't appear to be spewing out random things like snowflakes and leaves. Yes, the animations are already overwhelming, but there is definitely no need to turn our weapons into popcorn makers.
pop.gif
pop.gif
pop.gif

Alex

I don't like particle effects on weapons and whatnot, the passive animation on some of them is awesome though, wow that is good looking fire.

J-Rzez

The people defending Blizzard here is exactly why this stuff is happening. How hard is it to understand, ESPECIALLY with BLIZZARDs change in philosophy, this is moronic.

10 man drops the same items that 25 man does, just varying levels of amounts of loot that drops. Ok...

You can get points in arena 2v2, 3v3, 5v5, just a varying level once again.

Thus, I want to do 10v10 Rated BGs, every week just like I can do all of the other things every week. In tune with their philosophy on the other subjects, why is it that myself and my guildmates are supposed to be punished for only having 10 people interested in rated bgs? Why is it ok for Blizzard to lock you out of content then when you are not anywhere else as they themselves said wasn't right before.

It makes zero sense to punish said sized teams, denying them progression and locking them out of the points for "x" weeks due them them only having a smaller guild at their disposal. When you only have 10 players and you're forced to pug in who knows what quality player who may have never played with you before thus not knowing the strategy, making you that much more likely to lose placement and points for said week.

You better believe that if someone can capture the essence of WoW's gameplay perfectly I'd be moving on. The problem is no one makes a game that plays as fluidly as WoW, thus there's no where else to go, Blizzard has a stranglehold on the market, allowing them to dictate what their players should "like" and if they don't tough shit. All these companies try to mimic WoW, but they fail to understand that they're not mimicking the key element, the gameplay seamlessness, thus their game fails.

Grimace, do you have a link to the thread in which Blues are talking about this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom