• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flib

Angry Grimace said:
I understand what it does, but it does less damage even with 8 targets than a single Explosive Shot does.

Multi-shot only becomes decent if you are a higher-level survival hunter, due to the Serpent Spread talent mixed with Improved Serpent Sting.

My hunter used to be my main, and I shelved him at like 5k gs. I started playing him again the last few weeks and seemed to be doing pretty crappy dps in heroics (like 2.5k-3k). Switched back over to survival, and I'm pulling around 6k, which seems pretty decent. A big part of that seems to be the multishot/serpent sting combo.

Macattk15

God PvP is just NO fun when you first hit 80. I should of just stayed at 79 wrecking people on my Elemental Shaman alt.

Now I just get killed in 2 seconds from Mages / Rogues / Warriors / Warlocks / Things.

Sucks trying to grind some PvP gear when you're not having much fun. Thinking I should just queue for Isle and AV .... and ride those out for a while.

Osaka said:
Certainly beats the rush AV.

The best AV's I had in vanilla WoW were premades that would roflstomp teams in a half hour.

Macattk15 said:
God PvP is just NO fun when you first hit 80. I should of just stayed at 79 wrecking people on my Elemental Shaman alt.

Now I just get killed in 2 seconds from Mages / Rogues / Warriors / Warlocks / Things.

Sucks trying to grind some PvP gear when you're not having much fun. Thinking I should just queue for Isle and AV .... and ride those out for a while.

Or wait 1 month for the gear reset?

iiiiiunicorn

Neo Member
So I plan on getting the Razer Marauder when it comes out next month. It features macro recording:

On-The-Fly Macro Recording Allows For Effortless Configuration
Record unlimited macros on-the-fly without having to take your eye off the game and immediately change between up to 10 profiles without the hassle of going into complex driver menus.
However, I don't want to get banned when I use this keyboard with World of Warcraft. Anyone know how Blizzard detects macros? Maybe I'm just being paranoid...

Aesthet1c

So the wifey and I just hit 80 on our alts. I'm playing a lock and she's playing a priest. She wants to get into healing at 80, but which spec is better to roll heroics with, disc or holy? She may be doing very minimal raiding, but mostly heroics. Keep in mind she is also new to healing.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Macattk15 said:
But then I'd be bored for a month ...

Well you have plenty of other stuff to do other than getting owned in a BG because you have no PVP gear.

As for me, i do all the achievements i can that i wont have time to do once Cataclysm is out. Like right now, i'm doing the achievements to get the Chef title. The Outland achievements for the title might take a while, especially the damn cake recipe.

Aesthet1c said:
So the wifey and I just hit 80 on our alts. I'm playing a lock and she's playing a priest. She wants to get into healing at 80, but which spec is better to roll heroics with, disc or holy? She may be doing very minimal raiding, but mostly heroics. Keep in mind she is also new to healing.

I always played my priest as disc when it comes to heal 5 man, and it always been pretty good so far. Most of the time, right now with my good gear anyway, I put a shield on the tank, then a Prayer of Mending, and spam Smite on monsters. And use Archangel after 5 Smites for extra healing and more mana. Penance or Flash Heal when Smite heals arent enough. And now you have that big bubble barrier spell when "oh shit" moments happen.

I dont know remember how good disc was when i was undergeared though, but i dont remember having much trouble. If you have a shitty tank, she will probably wont have time to cast Smite much, but if you have some ICC geared tank, might be the complete opposite.

Macattk15

Bisnic said:
Well you have plenty of other stuff to do other than getting owned in a BG because you have no PVP gear.

As for me, i do all the achievements i can that i wont have time to do once Cataclysm is out. Like right now, i'm doing the achievements to get the Chef title. The Outland achievements for the title might take a while, especially the damn cake recipe.

I always played my priest as disc when it comes to heal 5 man, and it always been pretty good so far. Most of the time, right now with my good gear anyway, I put a shield on the tank, then a Prayer of Mending, and spam Smite on monsters. And use Archangel when after 5 Smites for extra healing and more mana. Penance or Flash Heal when necessary. And now you have that big bubble barrier spell when "oh shit" moments happen.

I dont know remember how good disc was when i was undergeared though, but i dont remember having much trouble.

But this is an alt! My rogue is geared to the teeth. I care not for achievements on my alt. I care not for gear that is going to be replaced very shortly. I won't be raiding anything in WotLK on it.

Soooooo I resorted to PvP and have been getting resoundingly stomped when I was the one doing the stomping at 79. Makes me sad. I dinged to 80 in AV. I should of just turned off the XP!

Bisnic

Well, i guess you could give your alt some useful maxed professions if its not already the case. Like Jewelcrafting or Inscription or Enchanting or Alchemy... something like that that could be of some use for your main when Cataclysm is out.

You just said yourself that you dont care for gear that will be replaced very shortly so i dont see why you bother with BGs at lvl 80. Its more frustrating than anything.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Sullen said:
Mind Sear was nerfed into uselessness. On trash -> shadow word pain every target and begin running close circles around the groups to trigger your shadowy apparition. It will deal way, way, way more damage than Mind Sear ever will right now.
:lol that sounds so lame

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Tamanon said:
Hmm, I think the next wave of events has started. A quest to go to Ironforge just appeared.

wowpedia:

Phase 2

The event has not yet progressed this far on live realms.
Phase two will open up a few more quests in Thunder Bluff / Ironforge.
[1-80] What's Shaking in Ironforge
Side quest: [1-80] Tablets of the Earth / [1-80] Tablets of Fire
[1-80] Subduing the Elements (Alliance) / (Horde)

sounds like that is it.

Rapstah

Yep. There are sandwich boarded cultists walking around Stormwind now too. The main quest chain was only that one quest too with the elemental totems!

EDIT: Uh, okay, that was odd. I was expecting the other quest to have a follow-up or two, but nothing was mentioned about those burning corpses around the earth tablet I was supposed to deliver.

Rapstah said:
Yep. There are sandwich boarded cultists walking around Stormwind now too. The main quest chain was only that one quest too with the elemental totems!

EDIT: Uh, okay, that was odd. I was expecting the other quest to have a follow-up or two, but nothing was mentioned about those burning corpses around the earth tablet I was supposed to deliver.

So we got a whole 2 quests today? Man, good thing blizz didn't work too hard on this pre-cata stuff, or it might actually be fun.

Bisnic said:

The cake recipe isn't bad at all since you can get that from WotLK cooking dailies too. It's the damn BC exclusive green recipes that are a bitch to get.

Macattk15

Bisnic said:
Well, i guess you could give your alt some useful maxed professions if its not already the case. Like Jewelcrafting or Inscription or Enchanting or Alchemy... something like that that could be of some use for your main when Cataclysm is out.

You just said yourself that you dont care for gear that will be replaced very shortly so i dont see why you bother with BGs at lvl 80. Its more frustrating than anything.

Yeah I maxed Inscription / Herbalism already. My rogue is Enchanting / Engineering. I don't even plan to play my Rogue in Cata though. I will start a new Worgen warrior (my original first to 60, 70, 80 class). Probably make him Blacksmithing / Mining while leveling and eventually drop Mining for JC'ing or something.

Though I do have a 80 hunter alt with Mining ... guess I could farm ore. Wish the 310% mount speed applied to all characters on an account once one gets it.

notworksafe

funkmastergeneral said:
So we got a whole 2 quests today? Man, good thing blizz didn't work too hard on this pre-cata stuff, or it might actually be fun.
So you saw what's coming up when it was on the PTR right? Because I did and it's pretty sweet.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Heh, speaking of cooking, I stopped leveling cooking immediately once I remembered that you get to 300 basically for free during the thanksgiving event.

Aesthet1c

Bisnic said:
I always played my priest as disc when it comes to heal 5 man, and it always been pretty good so far. Most of the time, right now with my good gear anyway, I put a shield on the tank, then a Prayer of Mending, and spam Smite on monsters. And use Archangel after 5 Smites for extra healing and more mana. Penance or Flash Heal when Smite heals arent enough. And now you have that big bubble barrier spell when "oh shit" moments happen.

I dont know remember how good disc was when i was undergeared though, but i dont remember having much trouble. If you have a shitty tank, she will probably wont have time to cast Smite much, but if you have some ICC geared tank, might be the complete opposite.

Thanks Bisnic. We'll spec her disc and give it a shot. :D

notworksafe said:
So you saw what's coming up when it was on the PTR right? Because I did and it's pretty sweet.

The elementals attacking cities and boss elementals? Yea, seems decent. But I just did the two new quests in about 5 minutes. I was hoping for something a bit more engaging, maybe requiring world travel, and fun flavor items.

Got my Paladin (from 46) to 53 this weekend.

Decided to finally just buy dual-spec and go prot for instancing, even though I won't get to use my shiny Arcanite Reaper and I don't have an heirloom weapon. Just bought a green shield and weapon off the AH and jumped into a random dungeon.

I just want to say: Damn, I love queuing as a tank. My main is a prot warrior and the queues are instant. This pally also is getting insta-queues. So nice.

Anyway, jumping into pally tanking seems pretty easy, but I am wondering if I had the rotation correct: Pull with the shield throw, use Hammer of the Righteous as they close in, Holy Wrath, Consecration, Hammer, wait... Hammer, then Shield of Righteous when at 3 Holy Power.

Seems a bit less reactive than warrior and more just "press through this specific rotation", but I'm still learning and don't have all of the abilities.

notworksafe

SnakeswithLasers said:
Anyway, jumping into pally tanking seems pretty easy, but I am wondering if I had the rotation correct: Pull with the shield throw, use Hammer of the Righteous as they close in, Holy Wrath, Consecration, Hammer, wait... Hammer, then Shield of Righteous when at 3 Holy Power.

Seems a bit less reactive than warrior and more just "press through this specific rotation", but I'm still learning and don't have all of the abilities.
Are you not judging at all? That's how you get mana back as a tank. Here's what I do to tank now...

Use Avenger's Shield to pull
Judgement to start getting mana back (Judgements of the Wise is built into Prot w/o talents now)
Crusader Strike to start gaining Holy Power (and make sure its the first thing you hit ever CD)
Toss in a Holy Wrath for extra damage
When you have 3 Holy Power, hit Shield of the Righteous.

For AoE tanking you can switch HotR and Cons for CS/HW. You do get big diminishing returns on those spells after you start tanking more than three mobs, so remember that.

UnblessedSoul said:
I'm just not feeling this pre cata event, the events seem to get worse every expansion
The "event" part hasn't actually started. This is just preamble.

iiiiiunicorn said:
So I plan on getting the Razer Marauder when it comes out next month. It features macro recording:

However, I don't want to get banned when I use this keyboard with World of Warcraft. Anyone know how Blizzard detects macros? Maybe I'm just being paranoid...

but why do you want maruder?

I want the BlackWidow ultimate! That has mechanical keys dude. MECHANICAL KEYS!

MECHANICAL! TINKERING!

notworksafe said:
Are you not judging at all? That's how you get mana back as a tank. Here's what I do to tank now...

Use Avenger's Shield to pull
Judgement to start getting mana back (Judgements of the Wise is built into Prot w/o talents now)
Crusader Strike to start gaining Holy Power (and make sure its the first thing you hit ever CD)
Toss in a Holy Wrath for extra damage
When you have 3 Holy Power, hit Shield of the Righteous.

For AoE tanking you can switch HotR and Cons for CS/HW. You do get big diminishing returns on those spells after you start tanking more than three mobs, so remember that.

The "event" part hasn't actually started. This is just preamble.
Derp, yup, :lol, sorry. I drop judgement whenever I can.

How important is it to wait for 3 to hit Shield? I've been thinking about using it in my tab rotation with 1 HP as a snap aggro tool on mobs I may need some help keeping aggro on during AoE.

So my prot warrior alt (I have no clue at all how to play him as fury or arms, he's been prot the whole way) hit 70 recently. Only took a few weeks to get him there with full heirloom gear (about 3 days /played time). He'll be 80 before Cata drops and I plan to tank on him as an alt (he'll also be my JC/Mining slave/profit-center).

I pretty much get warrior tanking, my main being a DK tank, so I understand tanking in general. What I haven't been able to find are good resources that discuss prot warriors in-depth (in their current state). Elitist Jerks is generally my go-to place (the DK threads there are excellent), but they don't have a prot warrior thread for whatever reason.

Tankspot is kind of lacking for this (boss videos there are good though), and WoWInsider isn't necessarily as cutting-edge as I would like.

So where do people get their prot warrior info? Any blogs or other sites I should know about? It's not too hard for me to get a grasp on, but I'd like a good reference to double-check the current theory.

notworksafe

SnakeswithLasers said:
Derp, yup, :lol, sorry. I drop judgement whenever I can.

How important is it to wait for 3 to hit Shield? I've been thinking about using it in my tab rotation with 1 HP as a snap aggro tool on mobs I may need some help keeping aggro on during AoE.
Well it does pretty low damage with less than 3 HP, so it's not too worthwhile.

1 Holy Power: 20% Attack Power
2 Holy Power: 60% Attack Power
3 Holy Power: 120% Attack Power

notworksafe said:
Well it does pretty low damage with less than 3 HP, so it's not too worthwhile.

1 Holy Power: 20% Attack Power
2 Holy Power: 60% Attack Power
3 Holy Power: 120% Attack Power
Not so much worried about the damage as the threat. But I'm used to warrior tanking and having a tool to snap threat on any mob around me that might be getting a bit low on the omen meter. I don't see anything like Devastate or procced Shield Slam or Revenge in the Pally rotation, so I was thinking it would be a good use for ShoR.

notworksafe

Consecration is good for AoE threat right now. It's just a steady threat that keeps mobs on you. You've got Hand of Reckoning and Righteous Defense as single or AoE taunts too. .

Also don't forget that damage = threat too. Righteous Fury gives you 200% threat of your damage I believe.

Aesthet1c

CarbonatedFalcon said:
So my prot warrior alt (I have no clue at all how to play him as fury or arms, he's been prot the whole way) hit 70 recently. Only took a few weeks to get him there with full heirloom gear (about 3 days /played time). He'll be 80 before Cata drops and I plan to tank on him as an alt (he'll also be my JC/Mining slave/profit-center).

I pretty much get warrior tanking, my main being a DK tank, so I understand tanking in general. What I haven't been able to find are good resources that discuss prot warriors in-depth (in their current state). Elitist Jerks is generally my go-to place (the DK threads there are excellent), but they don't have a prot warrior thread for whatever reason.

Tankspot is kind of lacking for this (boss videos there are good though), and WoWInsider isn't necessarily as cutting-edge as I would like.

So where do people get their prot warrior info? Any blogs or other sites I should know about? It's not too hard for me to get a grasp on, but I'd like a good reference to double-check the current theory.

I'm in the same boat. I've been a prot warrior since vanilla, and I still feel like I don't have great resources to turn to if I ever have questions. Elitist jerks is typically where I get all my info, but the warrior forums aren't typically great like the other forums are. I watched some tankspot videos a while ago that were pretty informative, but it's all irrelevant with 4.0.1 now.

The best I can do is check the official forums, elitist jerks, and tankspot and kind of cross check everything. If you find anything good though, update us, because I would be interested to know as well.

Reprise

Neo Member
Speaking of voice actors, maybe it's just me, but I swear the way Sylvannas speaks at the beginning of the Forge of Souls sounds so much like Lois Griffin from Family Guy.

Or it might be that after running that instance so many times I'm going mad.

J-Rzez

DeathNote said:
So, J-Rzez, you seriously want to do the same 3 Bgs week to week and never ever do pre-made AB?

I think everyone who has been playing for years holds a special place in their heart for AB and AV and would like them to actually be fun.

I personally think everyone doing the same brackets at the same time is better. Just like the weekly raid quest.

The problem is having the same 15 extra people give themselves every third week. Surely you can find a 10 man guild to work with. A loss of guild exp doesn't matter eventually.

Yes... I'd rather do those same 3 week in and week out, with my 9 other guildmates interested in doing such a thing. That way, we have better odds to win and progress. Now, looking for 5 other competent people maybe tough, so "maybe" we can do that (though I doubt it, but we'll see who comes back for Cata), but then you have the other one where we'll have to look for 15 other people? I don't think so. We don't do 25man content now, we don't want to do it later. The thing is, we're not being punished for doing 10man raids, unlike here where we are. It's a roadblock to detour people to "try" and create teams that size to get farmed by those who do have full rosters, and so they don't have to wait forever in queues. Even if you DID have 25 people, what would you do during the 10 and 15man bg weeks? Get into fights who's sitting out said days? So stupid on their part.

Deputy Moonman said:
I totally agree with everything you said here, and I'm not sure why people are getting all bent out of shape about it. Heaven forbid people openly discuss their complaints about an upcoming expansion without the "I just can't handle these posts anymore! Holy shit!" attack attack attack :lol Did people's sacks just shrink or something? We pay a monthly subscription fee. With the upcoming changes, that means you'll only be able to do your preferred bracket of choice for two weeks out of the month (at best). It's a horrendous decision on blizzard's part. The people who just do BG's for fun are still going to do the 25m brackets, but maintaining a 25m pvp team is stupid, and anyone who actually takes competitve pvp seriously, is not going to want to play with pugs, exactly as you mention.

That's why the game ended up going in the direction it has, because each time Blizzard did something dumb, they said "oh, it's ok Blizz, we still love you" to "thank you sir, may I have another", instead of voicing it out. If people would do it together, Blizzard will have to listen most likely, just like in the Real ID debacle. Though I'm sure there were privacy legalities that would come back and haunt them there, I'm sure the amount of negative response on the forums not only there, but everywhere got them to revert quickly.

Blizzard has said before that they do look and see what others are saying about their game, on forums and such that are not their official forums. So I don't doubt for a minute that they browse here, being one of the largest, most active, and notorious gaming forums on the web.

And on top of that, nobody complains when I'm posting news, "I like" stuff, or when I shared gameplay tips. When I don't like something, I will discuss it here, as it's a gaming discussion board. Grimace brought it up, and I got into a conversation about it. Sorry I didn't just look at the info, think to myself "Ooooh Blizzard", and not type in a thing. Those nancies that don't like it, just don't reply or respond to the conversation then. Just like how I stay out of conversations when people are talking or complaining about something I don't have interest or knowledge in.

And yes, there are a couple new active quests now for the pre-cata stuffs. Only takes roughly 5 mins to do, and you have the cultists meandering about the city now.

Bisnic

Just give us the main event already Blizzard, i dont want to wait another week with only 2 quests to do.

Aurarian

Bisnic said:
Just give us the main event already Blizzard, i dont want to wait another week with only 2 quests to do.

Same here. I'm tired of this gated crap. Just unleash the fucking mayhem already.

notworksafe

Lol then go play something else? I've had the same amount of content as you and I still managed to have plenty to do for quite a while.

I'm just saying that no matter what, someone on here will have something to complain about. Probably the same exact people too...complaining on both sides of the fence. :lol

Quick question:

I want to be the friend in a recruit-a-friend arrangement, but I already have an account. I know I need to basically purchase a new key, but is it possible to have two WoW keys on the same battle.net ID?

Flib

dollartaco said:
Quick question:

I want to be the friend in a recruit-a-friend arrangement, but I already have an account. I know I need to basically purchase a new key, but is it possible to have two WoW keys on the same battle.net ID?

Yes, it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom