• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
DeathNote said:
Not really. Plus, you can reforge it now?

A guild member tried to reforge resilience off one of the wrathful weapons and said it wouldn't let him.

Alex said:
This has probably been answered 100 times but... a friend has caught the Cataclysm bug and wants to play again. Problem is he hasn't bought Wrath yet. Now, if he wants to roll a Worgan and play from 1-70, can he do that with Vanilla + Burning + Cataclysm or does he need to buy Wrath before installing Cata?

I would bet he has to buy Wrath.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
DeathNote said:
Not really. Plus, you can reforge it now?

You can't reforge resilience.

And for the other question, i'm almost sure you need Wrath for Cataclysm. Anyway it wouldn't make sense to skip Wrath for Cataclysm when 80% of its content is stuff for lvl 80+, and you need Wrath for 70-80.

Has anyone either in the beta or following it heard what the approximate hours-per-level for 80-85 is? This will be the first time I've had more than 1 character at cap going into an xpac and I'm hoping it won't be too torturous to work multiples back up again.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
The Cat disc will have vanilla, bc, and wrath content on it. And it will install all of it if you pop the cat disc in.

But, you will have to upgrade to Wrath before you can Upgrade to Cat.

Alex said:
I don't see why not, if you're not entering Northrend yet or making a Death Knight, you shouldn't have to have Wrath I wouldn't think.

I don't know if they make you upgrade in a linear fashion, but I don't think so. Is that where the confusion stems from?

Edit: Oh! I guess you need BC in order to even activate Wrath, so yeah, I guess you will need it. What an odd choice.

I think after Cata, it might be a good idea to include BC and Wrath into the base game. It might be getting a bit out of hand.

J-Rzez

Vigilant Walrus said:
I think after Cata, it might be a good idea to include BC and Wrath into the base game. It might be getting a bit out of hand.

At this point in the game, TBC should be free, Wrath should get it's price slashed at least in half, and full-price for Cata. It's absurd to do the start up costs if you're a new player, and considering they're trying harder than ever to attract new players, they need to do this to happen in large numbers like they're hoping for.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Interfectum said:
This has probably been answered 100 times but... a friend has caught the Cataclysm bug and wants to play again. Problem is he hasn't bought Wrath yet. Now, if he wants to roll a Worgan and play from 1-70, can he do that with Vanilla + Burning + Cataclysm or does he need to buy Wrath before installing Cata?
It won't even let you install Cataclysm without WLK if it works like BC, which I don't see why it wouldn't.

But frankly, Blizzard should roll old Expansions into the Core game after it's no longer current content.

Danoss

HildyB said:
I was just reading a MaxPC article where the user said zone loads were virtually instant with WoW installed on the SSD. But he still had to wait for the rest of the raid/party so it didn't matter :lol

I never considered that part!
That's very true! When I jump on a zeppelin or go through the mini-instance in ICC from Saurfang to the inside of the citadel, it's funny to load in and then wait for the other people... and wait, and wait, and wait. :D

J-Rzez

Danoss said:
That's very true! When I jump on a zeppelin or go through the mini-instance in ICC from Saurfang to the inside of the citadel, it's funny to load in and then wait for the other people... and wait, and wait, and wait. :D

Oh, so a SSD is a big improvement on game performance then? Some people said it had little to no impact on WoW. My next rig is going to have SSDs so this is good news.

notworksafe

J-Rzez said:
At this point in the game, TBC should be free, Wrath should get it's price slashed at least in half, and full-price for Cata. It's absurd to do the start up costs if you're a new player, and considering they're trying harder than ever to attract new players, they need to do this to happen in large numbers like they're hoping for.
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

The reason everything isn't cheap is because it still sells. If they really had problems attracting people, the base game or BC would be free.

Man, so a new player now is at $120. That's crazy. ($40 for battlechest, $40 for wrath, $40 for cat)

It'd be nice if you got more than just one month free as an incentive. Or if wrath got bundled into the BC and it was $50 or $60.

Edit: ^^^^ Ya, I know it still sells and that they don't "have" to reduce it. Just saying it would be nice. I mean, I'd pick up the set for my girlfriend if I could get her up to date for $80 or so. At $120, I'm not even going to bother trying.

letsbereasonable said:
Has anyone either in the beta or following it heard what the approximate hours-per-level for 80-85 is? This will be the first time I've had more than 1 character at cap going into an xpac and I'm hoping it won't be too torturous to work multiples back up again.

By the time I was finished with Mount Hyjal and Vashj'ir I was 83 so I don't think it'll take long. I couldn't tell you as to how long each level took as I never actually looked at what my play time was for each level.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
SnakeswithLasers said:
Man, so a new player now is at $120. That's crazy. ($40 for battlechest, $40 for wrath, $40 for cat)

This is why I have not picked up the game yet, I'm waiting for Black Friday sales.

Blizzard can get away with it, but I wish they would include all previous content in new expansions, SoE does this with Everquest.

Did any of you guys hear anything about the Authendicator being bundled with base Cataclysm? You remember all the rumors months ago about the hacking being such a problem that they would include one in every box for free?
Any truth to that?

I dont want want to pay the shipping for such a tiny thing. It seems silly.:D

If I had a Iphone I could get the mobile authendicator for free right? dammit. My phone cant do jack!

Hixx

letsbereasonable said:

80-81 is about 3 hours. 81-82 about 4-5. 82-83 was about 7. 83-84 and 84-85 will take ages, xp reqs basically double every level.

Danoss

J-Rzez said:
Oh, so a SSD is a big improvement on game performance then? Some people said it had little to no impact on WoW. My next rig is going to have SSDs so this is good news.
Well, since the majority of WoW is streaming, it won't have a constant impact on your experience. On those few load screens you do see, it makes a huge difference as they're only up momentarily now. For me, I think it's well worth it though.

Vigilant Walrus said:
Did any of you guys hear anything about the Authendicator being bundled with base Cataclysm? You remember all the rumors months ago about the hacking being such a problem that they would include one in every box for free?
Any truth to that?

I dont want want to pay the shipping for such a tiny thing. It seems silly.:D

If I had a Iphone I could get the mobile authendicator for free right? dammit. My phone cant do jack!

Pretty sure the answer is no for bundled authenticators. However! They did just announce a new version of authenticator today - you dial a toll-free number to set up some info, and log in as usual with only account name and password after that. It'll prompt you to call the number if it detects something unusual, like logging in from somewhere that isn't your normal computer. Seems way more convenient for a lot of people.

ampere

J-Rzez said:
Zones and instances load really fast. Like someone else said, it won't help latency issues.

I highly recommend SSDs for non-WoW reasons too. Your write speeds probably won't go up... but reads skyrocket.

Iadien said:
This is why I have not picked up the game yet, I'm waiting for Black Friday sales.

Blizzard can get away with it, but I wish they would include all previous content in new expansions, SoE does this with Everquest.

Yeah, when I first bought WoW 2 years ago now, I got the battle chest on Black Friday for $15 I think. Pretty sexy deal. That was at Circuit City however, but other places had it for $20. Just have to wait and see this year.

notworksafe

CarbonatedFalcon said:
Pretty sure the answer is no for bundled authenticators. However! They did just announce a new version of authenticator today - you dial a toll-free number to set up some info, and log in as usual with only account name and password after that. It'll prompt you to call the number if it detects something unusual, like logging in from somewhere that isn't your normal computer. Seems way more convenient for a lot of people.
Wait what? Link!

EDIT: Wow! Neat idea! http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/1113829#blog

EDIT 2: Seems this isn't a "real" authenticator. It just has you call in to a number (from a preregistered phone number only) and put in a PIN when you want to play from a computer that isn't your normal one. Still a cool idea, and free authentication for the cheap/lazy. Can't use it with a normal authenticator already on your account so I didn't add it. I wonder if it gives you the Core Hound pet?

SnakeswithLasers said:
I just saw an article implying that most characters will have ~100k HP at 85. Is this true?

My level 85 premade warlock in 359 epics has 113k with no buffs, 85 lock in questing gear (average level 321) has 96k... so yes! =D

mclem

funkmastergeneral said:
The difference is for, trinkets at least, a lot of PvE trinkets are BiS for pvp. PvP items are never good for PvE though, except sometimes for weapons.

A crucial part of my hydross tanking gear was the PvP shield.

Interfectum

SnakeswithLasers said:

Under special circumstances... yes. Say a new player wants to roll a Worgan or Goblin, they are boned.

BUT... if they just want to play the game from 1-60 in the new world to try it out, all they have to buy is the vanilla wow.

markot

Banned
Its probably still like one of the best selling pc games at retail >.< why cut off a cash cow before its udders are dried up?!

Alex

Retail for PC probably isn't as impressive of a market as it sounds, even in the top 10! I have to imagine juggling so many configurations at this point is a bit obnoxious to fence sitters and there's heaps of people who buy for extra accounts, RAF, etc.

I couldn't get ANY of my friends to try out F2P LOTRO with me just because of how convoluted it's model was. :lol

It's odd since BC went into the Battlechest one year after launch, but here we are, two years later.

notworksafe

Convoluted? Sorry but it sounds like your friends are lazy. :lol LOTRO had the easiest model of them all. Pay zero, then buy a mount at 20 and quest packs at around 35ish. Or just buy the game and play for free til 50, buying xpacs after that like any other MMO.

Alex

When you have a gigantic flow chart filled to the brim with random shit that makes no sense to anyone not already educated with the game, it's a bit rough.

Hell, even here there were huge discussions and confusion abound on how to get the best from the system by jumping through all these loops. When folks do F2P, they need to lay down a better system, like Riot. I've yet to see a decent F2P setup besides Riot's, and that's prob why they've seen so much success.

notworksafe

I dunno, maybe it's just me but I didn't have any problems. I bought the game+first xpac in one box (for $8) and then played for free doing nothing else until level 40ish when I got bored and went back to WoW. :lol

Probably would have stayed longer if more people I knew were playing.

EDIT: Now if you had brought up EQ2's screwy system I'd agree.

Alex

EQ2 is f2p now? Actually I didn't even know EQ2 was still running. :lol I know EQ1 is, but I thought for some reason that EQ2 was shut down.

I am not sure any of their models seem very smart.(EQ2 or LOTRO).

Age of Conan could really benefit from F2P. That game often does not feel like a MMO. Its not to take anything away from the game. the combat is great and uniqe - as is the music, art and graphics, and the world. its brutal and fun. But the many loading screens and small zones create a claustrophobic feeling. loading screen ads would work for that game because the player would see them all the time, when changing areas.

J-Rzez

Cool thanks on the SSD info. I think even those little things are worth the price of entry for the SSDs.

And yes, I'm saying there are many people that I know that won't invest in WoW as a fresh new player because how high the start up price is. Especially because a trial doesn't give you a good feeling of the game, as it's all about endgame.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
J-Rzez said:
Cool thanks on the SSD info. I think even those little things are worth the price of entry for the SSDs.

And yes, I'm saying there are many people that I know that won't invest in WoW as a fresh new player because how high the start up price is. Especially because a trial doesn't give you a good feeling of the game, as it's all about endgame.
Well, the start price is free. At level 10 or 20, if they want more, they can pay $36? Then, if they want more at 70.. It's not a big deal to pay $20, assuming wotlk drops to that.

You can't say judge the game at 80 or 85. They have to like 1-20, 20-70 before even getting there.

After they balance lower levels and before 4.0.1, 1-10/20 does give you a good idea of the game. Leveling, instancing, BG.

Evlar

Banned
Didn't see it mentioned... Blizzard just confirmed that race transfers to Goblin and Worgen will be available the moment they flip the Cataclysm servers on.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/1116854#blog
With two new playable races just on the horizon, many players have been asking when they'll be able to convert their existing characters into goblins or worgen. Paid faction and race changes will be available immediately once Cataclysm is released. Realm First achievements for leveling any class to 85 will be available in Cataclysm. However there will be no Realm First achievements associated with leveling characters of a specific race.

There will be a slight change to the way paid services work for goblins and worgen. Goblin and worgen characters wishing to change race or faction cannot be in Lost Isles or Gilneas; they must be elsewhere to initiate the process. There are no restrictions on race/faction change to goblin or worgen.

You can learn more about our promotions and paid services here.
Now I have a decision to make.

Rokam

Hooray! Lady luck smiles upon me. :D

fjp5pf.jpg

I'm a little surprised they're letting immediate race changes happen. Figured they'd make people wait till someone hit 85 on one of those races.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Awesome. I'd change my Warlock over to a Goblin, but Orc Warlocks are boss and I'd already planned to freshly roll a Mage for a Goblin.

My guild is going to be flooded with Tauren Paladins sometime soon though.

Tamanon

Banned
Rokam said:
Hooray! Lady luck smiles upon me. :D

I'm a little surprised they're letting immediate race changes happen. Figured they'd make people wait till someone hit 85 on one of those races.

They just got around it by making the Level 85 Worgen/Goblin feats to also require you to have completed the newbie zone, which you can't do unless you rolled one to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom