• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lumine

Wow I just recieved a scary looking phishing mail. They actually managed to make it look like an official newsletter with a proper layout with pictures and all. It talks about new privacy options for realID. Hovering over the link however shows that it redirects to us-battlle.net/ Usually my spambox catches these kind of mails and they look terribly fake anyway. This one looks real and professional, but I'm pretty sure it's not. So yeah, watch out.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
I think WoW artists have really run out of ideas. They need to rethink the whole gear system, IMO. There needs to be more creative choices for the player so we are not locked in to these shitty designs. Armor dyes, multiple mix and match pieces, attachments, auras, etc would go a long way towards this.

Obviously not gonna happen though... shame really.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'd love if Blizzard allowed you to change the look of your raid gear with previous Tiers. I completely missed the classic & BC Tiers(never really raided before WOTLK, even if i've been playing since 2006) and some of them look pretty badass, but sadly i'll never get to wear them, not only because the stats sucks, but because barely anyone run the old raids except for achievements.

Aesthet1c

Painraze said:
I think WoW artists have really run out of ideas. They need to rethink the whole gear system, IMO. There needs to be more creative choices for the player so we are not locked in to these shitty designs. Armor dyes, multiple mix and match pieces, attachments, auras, etc would go a long way towards this.

I agree. It suprises me that with the amount of money Blizzard is making off of WoW that they don't increase their art team size, or at least hire a new team that does nothing but crank out armor/weapon designs. Wrath is so full of reskinned armor/weapons, I'm really hoping that Cataclysm is more varied.

Tacitus_

Painraze said:

They have a reason for doing that; visual recognition.

Now whether you think that's a good reason or not is wholly up to you. Personally I like being able to eye someone (especially in pvp) and determine what kind of gear they've got.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I don't know. I'm pretty much okay in terms of how certain gear looks. You couldn't get anything defining, outside of dungeon set, in vanilla without joining a 40-man raiding guild or running 5-mans endlessly for a 0.5% purple drop.

At least they've made quest reward greens/blues look slightly nice compared to the gimped shit we copped in 55-60. The addition of reputations with dailies and rewards is also a decent boost to availability of how certain gear looks. I know that WoW is all about Tier gear and all, but I bet if you looked into your characters bank you'd probably find some "cool" or "gimmick" item you kept just for the hell of it.

webrunner

Tacitus_ said:

Now whether you think that's a good reason or not is wholly up to you. Personally I like being able to eye someone (especially in pvp) and determine what kind of gear they've got.

Once you re-use armor models and allow people to turn off helms and cloaks, you've already broken visual recognition.

Flib

It's funny, some of the sets I hated in the initial leaked pictures ended up being ones I didn't mind. Like in-game, I actually like the hunter set (at least on a troll). I thought I would like the warrior set, but I think it looks pretty garbagey in-game.

Still fucking really hate the druid set though, which sucks since I play one. I mean, I understand what they're going for thematically, but it looks like utter shit. It is kind of funny dropping out of flight form with it on though :lol

J-Rzez

So they removed the 25v25 bracket week in rated bg's. Said they're "listening", and that it's a logistic nightmare. Thanks to me and Grimace along with others here complaining, it's gone. :p

mclem

Tacitus_ said:

There's also memory access issues, assuming it's coded smartly. In a packed Dalaran, it's a lot less demanding to load in 50 different shoulder mesh/texture combos than 500.

J-Rzez

Painraze said:

They won't do Armor dyes because then they wouldn't be able to copy/paste and play with the hue levels to create 3+ sets of armor for one tier/raid level, thus making them more work.

I like the aura idea, except not every set has an aura effect, nor would it look good with it possibly. Attachments we'll never-ever see most likely.

We'll probably get some good looking gear with more effort put behind it in the first content patch after Cata launches, maybe. But yeah, these Tier sets are terrible looking. Some are saved by a visual effect making them look at least ok, the others just look flat out insulting to the eye. And I hope they end up steering clear of boring town and make sure not nearly every model has dragons on it, or scales, or anything to do with dragons.

The DK T11 with boots/belt can have up to 6 faces on it, and sad thing is, that's the best looking set.

iiiiiunicorn

Neo Member
Blizzard should have taken out reagents in addition to ammo.

Kinda silly that mages have to buy these cheap runes and store them in a bag just so they can do stuff like teleport or slow fall.

Rapstah

iiiiiunicorn said:
Blizzard should have taken out reagents in addition to ammo.

Kinda silly that mages have to buy these cheap runes and store them in a bag just so they can do stuff like teleport or slow fall.
Slow Fall is removable with a glyph and it'd be ridicolous if you could casually teleport and portal around the world without any cost whatsoever. They removed all the raid buff reagents with 4.01 and I'd say that's as far as they should bring it.

Acidote

The shaman ankh should be removed. I use the glyph and thats it, but I don't think an ankh should be needed at all with long cooldowns.

keeblerdrow said:
The only tier 11 set I don't like is the Warlock set. Hobo set? The favored children of armor design get a freaking HOBO SET?
Pretty much this. I really like some of the other sets though (Mage), but I main a warlock. I think they're making up for all the awesome sets they gave us in the past. We had to fall to the bottom of the barrel eventually, right?

I really, really dislike the warlock set. Oh well. Here's hoping that T12 and T13 look better.

HildyB

SnakeswithLasers said:
Wow, those models make me throw up in my mouth. Jesus, that armor is horrible. Especially the Paladin, Rogue, and Hunter.

Well the paladin was shown on a cow, which looks like ass anyway.

Also, why does the mage have a skull for a helm and warlock doesnt?

HildyB said:
Also, why does the mage have a skull for a helm and warlock doesnt?
Holy crap, I think I know this one. I believe it's supposed to be a tribute to Ragnaros who is the elemental lord of fire. It makes sense as Mages are very in tune with the elements. If you check out the heroic version of the mage set on MMO Champ, it looks very much like Ragnaros.

Still sucks that warlocks didn't get anything near as cool as the mage set.

notworksafe

J-Rzez said:
So they removed the 25v25 bracket week in rated bg's. Said they're "listening", and that it's a logistic nightmare. Thanks to me and Grimace along with others here complaining, it's gone. :p
Wow don't blow yourself too hard. You might throw out your back.

Not sure what everyone is bitching about with the Tier sets. Only the Rogue one looks bad, really. Of course the same people bitching about armor would also be the same people bitching about slow load time when their computers have to load in a zillion different armor models. So I guess it's one whine or another in the end.

Flib said:
But Ragnaros is the T12 raid boss.

Firelands was supposed to be a release raid (as is that 5-man from 4.1), guess it was too late to change the set!

Also, I feel like I should take this opportunity to once again bitch about how 4.1 is just a "delayed release content" content patch. <3 u Blizz

notworksafe said:
Not sure what everyone is bitching about with the Tier sets. Only the Rogue one looks bad, really. Of course the same people bitching about armor would also be the same people bitching about slow load time when their computers have to load in a zillion different armor models. So I guess it's one whine or another in the end.
I'm really only bitching about the one I'm actually going to be wearing. I just plain don't like it. The horns or antennae or whatever you want to call them are tacky, the face portion of the helm is lackluster, and the rest is just boring. Yes, I know I can make the helm not show, but I prefer to have it on when I'm killing stuff.

Some of the other stuff is pretty cool though. I like a lot of the other sets especially the DK and Mage sets. My class just got shafted this time so I'm simply expressing my opinions.

Aesthet1c

Yeah I don't think they armor sets look awful, except for the rogue, the rogue is laughably bad. Most of the sets aren't great though. The stand out ones that look the best are definitely the mage and DK.

Xiaoki

notworksafe said:
Of course the same people bitching about armor would also be the same people bitching about slow load time when their computers have to load in a zillion different armor models. So I guess it's one whine or another in the end.
I dont have that problem in other gear based MMOs with much better graphics.
I have an off the shelf computer from Best Buy and I can run MMOs like Age of Conan, Aion and DC Universe just fine.

Yeah, Blizzard could make armor look better but why would they? Why spend the effort and money when they dont have to? WoW is able to sustain 12 million subscribers with the bare minimum so whats the incentive for Blizzard to go beyond it?

notworksafe

Confused101 said:
I'm really only bitching about the one I'm actually going to be wearing. I just plain don't like it. The horns or antennae or whatever you want to call them are tacky, the face portion of the helm is lackluster, and the rest is just boring. Yes, I know I can make the helm not show, but I prefer to have it on when I'm killing stuff.
Yeah, I'm used to Paladin looking like a Power Ranger so I'm used to the weird sets. Plus Blizz hit their peak with T2 Paladin, so I'm just expect everything to not be as good. :lol

Xiaoki said:
I dont have that problem in other gear based MMOs with much better graphics.
I have an off the shelf computer from Best Buy and I can run MMOs like Age of Conan, Aion and DC Universe just fine.
I was referring to number of unique gear models, not perceived quality of those models. When you load up a city with 2-5k people in it all wearing unique models, load times will increase. This is not something that can be denied.

Also how is DCUO? Just curious.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
notworksafe said:
Yeah, I'm used to Paladin looking like a Power Ranger so I'm used to the weird sets. Plus Blizz hit their peak with T2 Paladin, so I'm just expect everything to not be as good. :lol

I was referring to number of unique gear models, not perceived quality of those models. When you load up a city with 2-5k people in it all wearing unique models, load times will increase. This is not something that can be denied.

Also how is DCUO? Just curious.
I really liked the Wrathful PvP set for Paladins, too.

I would honestly prefer if the Tier sets were more generic towards their class instead of being dungeon themed. Fuck, I'd prefer if the sets were more standard "fantasy," too.

I remember a couple years ago I posted my Tier 9 "preview" which was something like:

Mages:
blmage.gif

Rogue:
thief.gif

Priest:
whmage.gif

Paladin:
knight.gif

Death Knight:
mknight.gif

Druid:
summon.gif

Warlock:
warlock.gif

Hunter:
hunter.gif

Warrior:
viking.gif

Shaman:
geomancer.gif

:D

J-Rzez

notworksafe said:
Wow don't blow yourself too hard. You might throw out your back.

So, that's the reason for the lack of variety in armor models then? Lag from load times? :lol

As far as people bitching about Tier sets, it's a matter of taste, you may like them, I think they're vomit inducing for T11. To each their own.

T8 was the nicest tier as a whole in Wrath I believe. But even they pale in comparison to TBC models.

Xiaoki said:
Yeah, Blizzard could make armor look better but why would they? Why spend the effort and money when they dont have to? WoW is able to sustain 12 million subscribers with the bare minimum so whats the incentive for Blizzard to go beyond it?

What the fuck is this?

Blizzard makes incremental improvements to armor and has been doing so for the entirety that the game has been running. So because they don't do it as frequently or extensively as your arbitrary standards dictate, then they are just sustaining the "bare minimum"?

You're out of your mind if you think that Blizzard just does as little as possible, and that their huge subscription numbers aren't owed directly to the way they keep evolving the game.

notworksafe

J-Rzez said:
So, that's the reason for the lack of variety in armor models then? Lag from load times? :lol
That's not the one reason. Nothing in any game is put in for only one reason. It's just one of many I'm sure. There's also "who gives a fuck about leveling gear that you'll be out of before long other than whiny forum people". I'm just glad the BC clown suits are gone. The leveling gear in that was pretty hilarious.

J-Rzez

LaserBuddha said:
What the fuck is this?

Blizzard makes incremental improvements to armor and has been doing so for the entirety that the game has been running. So because they don't do it as frequently or extensively as your arbitrary standards dictate, then they are just sustaining the "bare minimum"?

You're out of your mind if you think that Blizzard just does as little as possible, and that their huge subscription numbers aren't owed directly to the way they keep evolving the game.

I don't think it's unreasonable for them to want better art and effects on the first "class defining Tier set" of an expansion. And no, they haven't made "incremental" improvements at all in Wrath from TBC. T8 was "respectable" and pleasing overall, but that's about it.

notworksafe said:
That's not the one reason. Nothing in any game is put in for only one reason. It's just one of many I'm sure. There's also "who gives a fuck about leveling gear other than whiny forum people".

What's another logical reason for recoloring Tier sets then? As well as making them "Non-set" sets, as in random boss drops that make the same set as a tier set? There is no reason for it, it's just sheer laziness and there's no other way to doll it up.

But like someone said, people keep paying even with less effort, so why should they go out of their way?

notworksafe

Because I like the look of Paladin T2 and want to use it while playing in Burning Crusade? Because Ony was a boss that dropped T2 and getting a cool looking helm that has stats appropriate to level 80 is sweet? Because having three tiers of Tier gear makes sense that they would be the same outfit but different colored to show the level of raid that I've done to earn them?

Clearly you'll never be convinced. You still give a shit about something as stupid as the Dance Studio. :lol I'm shocked that you even have time to get gear with all the time you spend /dance-ing. :D

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
notworksafe said:
Because I like the look of Paladin T2 and want to use it while playing in Burning Crusade? Because Ony was a boss that dropped T2 and getting a cool looking helm that has stats appropriate to level 80 is sweet? Because having three tiers of Tier gear makes sense that they would be the same outfit but different colored to show the level of raid that I've done to earn them?

Clearly you'll never be convinced. You still give a shit about something as stupid as the Dance Studio. :lol
They already reused T2 Paladin for leveling though, I think....wasn't the TBC leveling blues for Pallies just a purple Judgment set?

I don't know, I don't *really* care what gear looks like at all.

notworksafe

That's why I said "Because I like the look of Paladin T2 and want to use it while playing in Burning Crusade"

I think the gear looks fine for the most part as well. Things are reused, but not to the preposterous extent that is implied here. That's why I don't understand the whining.

Dunlop

I would love gear that actually distinguishes, cloth wearers from plate

Everyone looks like a fucking linebacker with various special effects eminating from them.

Angry Grimace

notworksafe said:
That's why I said "Because I like the look of Paladin T2 and want to use it while playing in Burning Crusade"

I think the gear looks fine for the most part as well. Things are reused, but not to the preposterous extent that is implied here. That's why I don't understand the whining.
I liked the DK T8 too. They should reuse that for leveling gear. Fuck, just reuse all of T8 for leveling gear :lol

But as I said, I don't much care about what gear looks like in the least and think it already looks comical and silly regardless of what it's supposed to be since all cloth, plate and mail already looks like highly impractical plate armor.

J-Rzez said:
I don't think it's unreasonable for them to want better art and effects on the first "class defining Tier set" of an expansion. And no, they haven't made "incremental" improvements at all in Wrath from TBC. T8 was "respectable" and pleasing overall, but that's about it.

This isn't about wanting better art and effects. There is nothing wrong with that. This is about spoiled man-children declaring that Blizzard just does the minimum that they can get away with because they have no incentive to make improvements (which is a factually, demonstrably untrue statement if you have any knowledge whatsoever of Blizzard and their games).

Are you really saying that they did not make any graphical improvements to equipment from BC to Wrath? Really?

T8 was "respectable" and pleasing overall, but that's about it.

I guess you're just trying to argue about aesthetics, but aesthetics can't really be argued in the topic you are responding to. It is subjective, and your displeasure with them does not suggest anything about the effort Blizzard puts into things. Sometimes an artist just doesn't bring their A-game to a project, and there is probably rarely time in the schedule to restart something like that. Redoing one thing means not doing another.

But I guess some people think it's logical conclusion to draw that Blizzard went to one of their artists (who is on their payroll regardless, so they cant really save money on this) and said "Please make this next one look like shit, because we can get away with it."

notworksafe

Um I dont think so! It doesn't get more practical than Paladin T2.

bloodelf_male_paladin01.jpg

I have books on my shoulder so I can catch up on my John Grisham while I fight kobolds. :lol :lol :lol

When I started playing WoW, all I wanted was a set of Paladin T2. even though BC had just come out. :lol

THIS is how you borrow from Games Workshop!

i keeeed

Angry Grimace

notworksafe said:
Um I dont think so! It doesn't get more practical than Paladin T2.

bloodelf_male_paladin01.jpg

I have books on my shoulder so I can catch up on my John Grisham while I fight kobolds. :lol :lol :lol
Yeah, but we at least expect PLATE armor to be impractical. Look at the shoulders on your average piece of Cloth tier gear. It's insane.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Man, thar orc is ridiculous. Behind that angry face, there is an orc who just want an Alliance to put him out of misery.

Rapstah

I remember how a friend and I jokingly referred to PVP T9 and 10 as Wrathless and Relentful, but as our PVP mains are Paladin and Warlock that wasn't really too fun. :(

EDIT: Why did I type "I remember"? That was like two months ago.

This thread is all kinds of flamewar all the time. Can't even state how you feel about the look of something without it devolving into a war about who hates blizzard and who loves blizzard.

notworksafe

It's mostly just people fucking with Jrzez to be honest. 90% of the time something is posted here he'll find a nitpicky thing to whine about before launching into a diatribe that usually involves his intricate knowlege of Blizzard's laziness, sometimes a rant about the dance studio, and often on how Blizzard has a statue in their office.

It's tiring to see almost the exact same posts from him on a regular basis...yet comforting in an odd way, like that drunk uncle who passes out on the rug every Thanksgiving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom