• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
mclem said:
Thaddeus would be... interesting.
I remember when before Wrath came out, Blizz was pretty gung ho in interviews that the 10-man version of raids would require 1 tank and only 25-man would need 2 tanks. I wonder how the heck they expected that to work.

Rapstah

sykoex said:
I remember when before Wrath came out, Blizz was pretty gung ho in interviews that the 10-man version of raids would require 1 tank and only 25-man would need 2 tanks. I wonder how the heck they expected that to work.
It probably never did.

EDIT: Oh, and please elaborate on how 3-manning Naxx worked. If we assume that raids at 3.0.3 had six DPS at 2000 DPS each, then that's 12 000 DPS for one person. That's actually not too much for an arcane mage!

notworksafe said:
We did it in 4 nights and only myself and one other in my 10 man had done anything in Ulduar HM. Just remind everyone to have a lot of patience on Firefighter and Yogg +1. :D Luckily Algalon is easy enough now, so you'll get that title too.

Just so you know, getting the Ulduar drake now won't save you the 5000g for 310% flight training if you are doing it for that reason.
I'm only two achievements away from getting the ironbound proto-drake. 1-light and Iron dwarf, medium rare, but no one in my guild wants to run those anymore lol.

Azwethinkweiz said:
The battle chest is $9.99 at best buy on black friday. If you want to wait for that.
Is that an online deal or in-store?

Also: Man, I'm loving Paladin tanking. I'm 65, halfway to 66, and am not yet done with Hellfire Peninsula (which I began at 58). I'm leveling incredibly fast through instances right now and am just in love with tanking with Word of Glory.

My only issue with Pally tanking right now is I don't feel that I'm using the same breadth of tools as on my warrior. It's a very straightforward rotation, but I feel that when things get out of hand, I'm waiting for a lot of cooldowns in order to try to pick things back up. I think I just need to get better at using Hand of Protection and Righteous Defense (which I never use).

Flib

SnakeswithLasers said:
Is that an online deal or in-store?

Also: Man, I'm loving Paladin tanking. I'm 65, halfway to 66, and am not yet done with Hellfire Peninsula (which I began at 58). I'm leveling incredibly fast through instances right now and am just in love with tanking with Word of Glory.

My only issue with Pally tanking right now is I don't feel that I'm using the same breadth of tools as on my warrior. It's a very straightforward rotation, but I feel that when things get out of hand, I'm waiting for a lot of cooldowns in order to try to pick things back up. I think I just need to get better at using Hand of Protection and Righteous Defense (which I never use).

What I do is run vuhdo for unit frames, and have it set to just leftclick on a characters raid frame to cast righteous defense. Since the bar turns red if they get aggro, it's a cinch.

notworksafe

I just use a macro for Righteous Defense so I can just cast it on a mob(s) on which I don't have threat.

Code:
#showtooltip Righteous Defense
/cast [noharm] [target=targettarget,noharm] Righteous Defense

notworksafe said:
I just use a macro for Righteous Defense so I can just cast it on a mob(s) on which I don't have threat.

Code:
#showtooltip Righteous Defense
/cast [noharm] [target=targettarget,noharm] Righteous Defense
Oh, very nice. I'll use that.

Flib

Apparently the invasions are starting.

edit: also, last night I joined a raid on beta to kill Gamon and we were successful. It was great, we had all of these people surrounding us and protesting.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
1. staff vs mace heirloom for rest & elem shaman? not sure how much melee they do in pvp or pve.

2. how do the heirlooms daggers compare to sword and maces combos in sub/combat rogue?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
DeathNote said:
1. staff vs mace heirloom for rest & elem shaman? not sure how much melee they do in pvp or pve.

2. how do the heirlooms daggers compare to sword and maces combos in sub/combat rogue?

I would take the staff if i were you. The staff can be used by every casters except holy paladins, while the mace is only useful for druids, holy paladins & shamans. The lack of a shield is not something to worry about, especially at low lvls.

Can't say much for combat/sub rogues, as i have little experience with sub. Combat at least need the mace for main hand, and the dagger for offhand, since there is no fast heirloom sword/mace.

Evlar

Banned
Bisnic said:
I would take the staff if i were you. The staff can be used by every casters except holy paladins, while the mace is only useful for druids, holy paladins & shamans. The lack of a shield is not something to worry about, especially at low lvls.

Can't say much for combat/sub rogues, as i have little experience with sub. Combat at least need the mace for main hand, and the dagger for offhand, since there is no fast heirloom sword/mace.
And priests. Priests/clerics have been swinging maces since first-edition D&D.

So, elemental invasion just started. It was fucking CRAZY in Stormwind, ~3k people running around, fighting rifts and shit, 10 fps. And I'm on an EU server btw.

4530391.jpg

Bisnic

Evlar said:
And priests. Priests/clerics have been swinging maces since first-edition D&D.

Eh. Dont blame me for forgetting about priests. Mine been using the BOA staff from 1 to 80, then started using a 219 staff from reg FOS to a 232 dagger from H POS. :lol

Rapstah

Grr, invasions haven't started yet on EU realms but I'm assuming they'll be going up either tomorrow or after the maintenance. :(

scoobs

Tried soloing attunemen the hoseman and its not possible as a subtlety rogue. Sucks cuz i really felt that it would drop for me :lol

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Any suggestions on profession choices as a Shaman, Enhancement spec? I will probably pick enchanting/alchemy on a death knight.

J-Rzez

Aesthet1c said:
So my guild is debating going for hard mode Ulduar achievements to get the drake before the patch hits. However most of us have only have expierence in like the first half of the instance. We're hoping our gear will carry us (most of us are 5800+), but I know a lot of the fights in Ulduar are very mechanics based.

Anyone who has experience in these, can you tell me how doable it would be to down everything hard mode in like 2-3 raid nights, with a group that wont know most of the fights?

Watch videos on the fights before you go in there. Granted when we ran Ulduar again with our current gear things were much easier, but back in the day when we did hard modes in there with Uld gear things were much more interesting. 3 fights can still be a nuisance though:

Freya - As you must know the mechanics of the fight well, plus coordinate well to kill the 3 protectors in the same time frame.

Mim Firefighter - Will mess you up big time if you have people with crap latency. You "may" still need some cooldowns on P1 lavablast thing...

1-light - Choose your keeper wisely. We chose Freya to help us, and that's when we downed it as sanity was more of an issue than the adds at the end because with your gear the tanks and healers can do fine with them all, and your DPS should be able to blow it up. Just watch for the marked "add" at the end and make sure the OT pulls it off the MT and his group and stays iirc 20yds away from the MT's group of mobs.

Milpool

Do you have to defend a capital before you can attempt the bosses? Because I noticed there are 2 in the dungeon finder.

notworksafe

Well doing those bosses was fun...is it December 7th yet? :lol

EDIT: @Aesthet1c If the people in your raid can listen to simple directions (ie: "Don't look at Yogg") pick Thorim as your keeper for Yogg +1. It'll make your life much easier. He kills the Immortals in the last phase which will greatly lessen the stress on both Tank and Healers.

The guides that come with the Battle Chest are laughably outdated now anyway. But yeah, if it's $10 at Best Buy on Black Friday, I may just pick it up for a (3rd I guess) account for a rainy day sometime. Have a second account that was just Vanilla I got for $5 to dual-box, but I never played that out too far.

Hell, for $10, I could give it to a friend.

notworksafe said:

EDIT: @Aesthet1c If the people in your raid can listen to simple directions (ie: "Don't look at Yogg") pick Thorim as your keeper for Yogg +1. It'll make your life much easier. He kills the Immortals in the last phase which will greatly lessen the stress on both Tank and Healers.

What's sad is this was supposed to be the fun part of the event. Nicely done, Blizzard.

so are these bosses just updated version of the twilight bosses in silithus?

J-Rzez

notworksafe said:

They're geared out, it shouldn't be stressful on the tanks and healers at all. The only wipes we had were due to "sanity" from stupid ass bugs/glitches/lag where when you wouldn't even be looking at the skulls in the portals you would get zapped. Not to mention the random deathcoil type thing Yogg does.

I know some people did Thorim, but it's whatever you want now due to gear, and that bugs/glitches/latency is more of a killer on Yogg +1 than anything Yogg himself does lol.

notworksafe

I meant holding on to Immortals because of threat issues, since some tanks are pretty broken right now. Plus having less to deal with is always better. Our group had no sanity issues at all, but you may have to change it up based on how your group works.

Sai-kun

Banned
epik said:
Now that was fun! Defending stormwind then queuing up for some bosses.. I was so excited ;p

Defending the city was much much much more fun than the actual bosses :lol

There were like 1 1/2 raid groups just sweeping counter clockwise around SW, cleaning up. It was SO cool.

Bisnic

will52 said:
Yep, very easy. All have 1499k health. Tank + spank, don't stand in fire.

People are saying this will occur every 3-4hrs?

So easy my group wiped less than 30 secs after starting on the fire boss. Guess the healer was afk or something. Gotta love the run back from Searing Gorge.

Both IF & SW were under attack. Does Horde also have 2 cities that can get under attack?

I spent so much time on Ulduar hard modes I don't think I can set foot in there again, at least not past the first couple bosses for the weekly. We didn't even kill Yogg Saron back then, the guild leader had us doing Firefighter all week :lol

The event starting to get good finally? Been waiting to re-sub so I can experience the event before Cataclysm but so far it has been lacking from what I have heard.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
iiiiiunicorn said:
What's the best guess for when the world will be Shattered™?
23rd: 1 week with bosses, 2 weeks with new world before cat
30th: 2 weeks with bosses, 1 week with new world before cat

I'd say 30th

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
DeathNote said:
oh snap, didn't know the bosses were active.

what time do the invasions start?
Too infrequently apparently. It's annoying waiting for them.

McNei1y

Angry Grimace said:

OMG that is AWESOME!! I need to get me one of those. Currently using the Shadowmoon core hound.

Damn, I failed miserably. I was trying to get to 80 before Cata (which I still can do) but I haven't done all of ulduar, TOC, or ICC and I've owned Wrath since the day it came out. I have an 80 lock but I never got to do pugs because people were all about GS and my GS would always be slightly below the average. I never wanted to join a guild because I couldn't find one that raided when I was on. :( So much for that.

Seeds

notworksafe said:
If you want to join for pre-Cata events, now is the time. All the phases are currently active.

Do you know if they're active until the Cata release, or do they end a few days before?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom