• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

theultimo

SnakeswithLasers said:
So this isn't the patch that changes Divine Storm to not use Holy Power?
It looks like a pre-maintenance patch for 4.0.3a. almost 1 GIG though, be prepared to download it.

It also looks like the patch notes are not class specific - maybe undocumented changes?

Aesthet1c

Angry Grimace said:
A significant portion of players believe every patch nerfs their DPS

Well, to be more specific, I remember reading something about caster dps being too high at lvl 80, and that they were going to scale it back a little so it becomes an even pace up to 85.

And no, I'm not crying nerf, I was just curious.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Yeah i remember reading last week (or was it 2 weeks ago?) how Blizzard were thinking of nerfing overall damage since it went too high with 4.0.1. Especially for low lvls. I personnally don't enjoy killing regular mobs of my lvl in 2 or 3 hits, even one shotting them sometimes.

mclem

I just want to know if they've fixed the slow ghost gryphons and the problem with Touched by the Light. Those two things would make me much happier.

vilmer_

Just a question for those who have ordered the CE online from a retail store. Will we have to wait a few days for it to ship to our houses? Or do we just go and pick it up from the store when the game comes out? I've never pre-ordered online before, only in-store :/

HildyB

vilmer_ said:
Just a question for those who have ordered the CE online from a retail store. Will we have to wait a few days for it to ship to our houses? Or do we just go and pick it up from the store when the game comes out? I've never pre-ordered online before, only in-store :/

You pre-ordered from a local retail store through the online site to do in-store pickup, correct? I would call the store to make sure they have your pre-order on file, then all should be good.

Yaweee

Tamanon said:
Ya know, I honestly wouldn't be completely surprised if the Shattering occurred this Friday or Saturday.

zomwfg that would be amazing. But a non-Tuesday update? Seems unlikely.

HildyB

Tamanon said:
Ya know, I honestly wouldn't be completely surprised if the Shattering occurred this Friday or Saturday.

That's my thought too. I hope so, have not been this excited in a while to tromp around the old world :D

Tamanon said:

I'd love that too but I still think it's coming out a week before the expansion. If it came out this Friday then a massive wave of QQ and bitching will occur on the forums with "ZOMG BLIZZURD! WTF NU MRE ZG MNTS! Y DINT YU GIV WRNING! CANCEL NOW PLX!"

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
HarryDemeanor said:
I'd love that too but I still think it's coming out a week before the expansion. If it came out this Friday then a massive wave of QQ and bitching will occur on the forums with "ZOMG BLIZZURD! WTF NU MRE ZG MNTS! Y DINT YU GIV WRNING! CANCEL NOW PLX!"

No one cares about those "QQing" idiots. Not even Blizzard.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It still amazes me that after like 4 years, people can't figure out the obvious strategic value Lumber Mill in AB has over the other four nodes.

Palmer_v1

ok, the new UI sizing to to 1:1 pixels or whatever, has made all my UI elements incredibly small. Chat I can fix by increasing font size, but the minimap and action bars are not customizable without an addon. Kind of annoyed now.

Flib

Palmer_v1 said:
ok, the new UI sizing to to 1:1 pixels or whatever, has made all my UI elements incredibly small. Chat I can fix by increasing font size, but the minimap and action bars are not customizable without an addon. Kind of annoyed now.

It's awful. I thought it was a bug on the beta, and it was driving me crazy. I resized my action bars, but I'd love to know how to make the quest log and such bigger.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
JoeMartin said:
Will there be any cold weather flying equivalent for flying in Kalim/EK?
Yes. Flight Master's License. It costs 250g.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Angry Grimace said:
It still amazes me that after like 4 years, people can't figure out the obvious strategic value Lumber Mill in AB has over the other four nodes.
Hear hear. Back when I was rolling around with premades, if we didn't cap LM and hold it for the entire time then something was wrong.

Nowadays only a few Horde run up there to cap, then they run to Stables? Cmon. Just sit tight with your 3 people at LM and let them come to you whilst you alert your group as to who is running where.

vilmer_

HildyB said:
You pre-ordered from a local retail store through the online site to do in-store pickup, correct? I would call the store to make sure they have your pre-order on file, then all should be good.

Cool, I will give them a call to see what's up.

It appears guild chat isn't working nor is it displaying a friend who has come online in the chat window, you hear the 'dong' but nothing is displayed :/

Edit - Looks like it's the gear score addon causing the problems, disabling fixed it.

VAIL

My chat is borked, seems to be happening to quite a few people, and yeah logged in and everything was TINY, also my framerate is good, but the game dead stops every so often...grrrr

Edit: found it... disable Gearscore for now.

Macattk15

speedpop said:
Hear hear. Back when I was rolling around with premades, if we didn't cap LM and hold it for the entire time then something was wrong.

Nowadays only a few Horde run up there to cap, then they run to Stables? Cmon. Just sit tight with your 3 people at LM and let them come to you whilst you alert your group as to who is running where.

I just love guarding / capping LM due to the sheer number of people I send flying off the node with Thunderstorm.

Pro tip : If you see a elemental shaman running head first at you and you're capping the flag ... they are most likely going to send you flying off the node. I also love doing it at the flag in EotS.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Which professions are most profitable nowadays? Is Alchemy/Enchanting still up there?

notworksafe

JC/Enchanting is a good combo. Mining/Herbalism isn't bad either, especially since you can now track both mining nodes and herbs on your minimap.

Also, where's J-Rzez? I feel like I should point today out as a patch day where the servers are actually up earlier than Blizz predicted.

Angry Grimace

Iadien said:
Which professions are most profitable nowadays? Is Alchemy/Enchanting still up there?
It depends what your scale of profit is.

I'm wishing I had mining right now on my hunter. Stacks of Mithril still sell for like 20-30g and always will and I have almost no money :lol

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
notworksafe said:
JC/Enchanting is a good combo. Mining/Herbalism isn't bad either, especially since you can now track both mining nodes and herbs on your minimap.

I'm starting today, and rolling an alt first while waiting for Cataclysm. I'll probably pick 2 gathering professions on the alt.

When I played over a year ago, I used mining and blacksmithing to create myself gear and fund alchemy and enchanting on an alt. I made decent money doing that.

notworksafe

So what's the deal with the Custom Lag Tolerance thing? Do I set it to match my ping? Because it's auto-set to 400ms when I usually play at 100ms or lower.

iiiiiunicorn

Neo Member
Palmer_v1 said:
I'm still really annoyed that I can't remove the clock on the mini map anymore. What the fuck.

Question about Disc Priest healing. I think I'm doing it wrong. Am I supposed to spec into smite healing and Evangelism? Sounds really dumb to me. Right now I'm just putting pw:s on tanks and pom and using Penance as my big heal. Occasionally using renew and oh shit flash heals on clothies. It's not very mana efficient at all, but I seem to be doing ok in the short run. Would love some help on the best way to do it while being mana efficient.

Angry Grimace

Jazzy Network said:
Question about Disc Priest healing. I think I'm doing it wrong. Am I supposed to spec into smite healing and Evangelism? Sounds really dumb to me. Right now I'm just putting pw:s on tanks and pom and using Penance as my big heal. Occasionally using renew and oh shit flash heals on clothies. It's not very mana efficient at all, but I seem to be doing ok in the short run. Would love some help on the best way to do it while being mana efficient.
You CAN heal that way, but if you're just running heroics, just smiteheal so you can dps and heal at the same time.

Evlar

Banned
Jazzy Network said:
Mana efficiency comes from Smite/Atonement/Evangelism/Archangel. That mechanic alone transforms Disc from fairly crappy efficiency to among the best for healers. If you really, really don't want to Smite heal you could take advantage of the slight efficiency gains through Inner Focus/ Train of Thought. I think you'll really struggle to make that worthwhile in the typical 5-man, though.

Rapstah

Evlar said:
Mana efficiency comes from Smite/Atonement/Evangelism/Archangel. That mechanic alone transforms Disc from fairly crappy efficiency to among the best for healers. If you really, really don't want to Smite heal you could take advantage of the slight efficiency gains through Inner Focus/ Train of Thought. I think you'll really struggle to make that worthwhile in the typical 5-man, though.
Although the actual heal from Smite will be nerfed in 4.0.3 (or in the case of the US, WAS nerfed), that's the core mana regen of disc priests at the moment. If you Archangel at five stacks of the buff you get from smiting, you'll regen 15% of your mana. That's a lot more than five smites' worth of mana.

Flib

It would be if the quest log wasn't tiny. After staring at a computer all day at work, I don't want to strain my eyes trying to read that.

Alex

Can't you just increase the scale of the UI? Is that slider gone now or am I missing the issue. I'm using a mostly custom one, so I can't really try out most of this stuff.

notworksafe

Alex said:
Can't you just increase the scale of the UI? Is that slider gone now or am I missing the issue. I'm using a mostly custom one, so I can't really try out most of this stuff.
It's under "Video" then "Advanced" in settings. I'm using mostly default UI myself, so yours may work differently.

EDIT: Nevermind. I see what you were saying. I didn't have an issue with the UI myself. Just adjusted the slider and I was good to go.

ACE 1991

Feeling a bit of nostalgia for WoW. While I don't think I'll be coming back for Cataclysm, my first time 1-60 in 8th grade still to this day stands out as the greatest gaming experience I've ever had. Exploring such a cohesive and massive world while making awesome online friends was simply amazing.

Not sure why I decided to post this, just felt like sharing :lol

ACE 1991 said:
Feeling a bit of nostalgia for WoW. While I don't think I'll be coming back for Cataclysm, my first time 1-60 in 8th grade still to this day stands out as the greatest gaming experience I've ever had. Exploring such a cohesive and massive world while making awesome online friends was simply amazing.

thanks for making me feel old.

Retro

Angry Grimace said:

I love LM, that's where I always head. The alliance rarely tries to fight for it, so I usually spent the whole match standing on tree stump, calling out incoming targets as they cross towards BS and Farm.

And yes, it always annoys me to see the people who stuck through the initial push at LM go running off to cap Stables like morons, usually before LM is done rolling over.

To me, AB is all about momentum; if you can break the initial push at the start of the match, they're rarely able to organize and recover since they're unbuffed, spawning at different times and possibly different locations. One guard at farm to ward off/call out Rogues and druids, everyone else split up and stand at GM, BS and LM nodes, and stand fast. If they're zerging towards a single node, you can usually pick up the ones they missed and then sneak in behind them to recap (since group-think outweighs leaving a guard behind). I've had matches where the alliance sticks together in a giant group, zerging single nodes, and we just keep rotating around the map with 3 or 4 at a time.

It always amazes me to see people cap a node, mount up, and race off, leaving me alone on defense... oh, and fighting in the roads... /facepalm.

Evlar

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
It's strategic, but I argue that Blacksmith is more so. You can't see who is standing on LM or GM but you can see movement across the rest of the map. More important, you have a centrally located GY that improves your team's response time for offense and defense.

Anyway, love AB simply because it's one of the few place in the game where Mind Vision has strategic value.

Garryk

I wish it wasn't even an option for the Horde to cap stables. It's really frustrating because my realm constantly has WG on lockdown, but the Horde is always losing in BGs.

J-Rzez

notworksafe said:

Also, where's J-Rzez? I feel like I should point today out as a patch day where the servers are actually up earlier than Blizz predicted.

Was at work :p

Not a real patch though as if it were it'd run at least 3 hours later, but anyways, anytime that they manage to get the servers up earlier than usual regardless is a shocker.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Upon first installing the last patch, up until this new patch became available, the progress bar on the launcher said "Applying non-critical updates. This will take some time." This message never went away and it's still there after installing the new patch. Is this normal?

jTkSL.jpg

Evlar

Banned
sykoex said:
Upon first installing the last patch, up until this new patch became available, the progress bar on the launcher said "Applying non-critical updates. This will take some time." This message never went away and it's still there after installing the new patch. Is this normal?

jTkSL.jpg
You mean it's been there for weeks? No, that isn't normal.

ACE 1991 said:

nah it's fine dude. You did what many can't - they don't know when to stop, thus getting burned out, and suddenly start to think that ofcourse it's not them that is just tired of the game - no. the latest patch/change/nerf/buff/whatever killed all the fun.

Obviously thats bullshit. People just dont know when to move on. That's what so many of these f**king vanilla purists don't get. You can disagree about some changes and think they turn it into something worse for the game, but most likely, these people who feel this way are just getting closer to the threshold of having had enough of the gameplay mechanics, interface, controls, engine - and no content patch is going to fix that.

The difference is of course that other peoples favorite games - OOT, Half-Life, and so on, are not played for 2500 hours or more. Because WoW has no satisfying ending, the player is asked when to call it quits. many people get confused, and can't logically just realise it's them, not the game that has changed. The player has changed from being inexperienced and unaware about the wonders of the game, to being knowledged and a master of the game. Obviously everything is better in the beginning. the first time.
Many people just don't seem to realise this.

There are exceptions to the rule though, but for many annoying people I am convinced it holds true.

/rant

notworksafe

J-Rzez said:
Was at work :p

Not a real patch though as if it were it'd run at least 3 hours later, but anyways, anytime that they manage to get the servers up earlier than usual regardless is a shocker.
Dang you missed it! :lol

Should we start taking bets now on how long 4.0.3a will go over the announced time?

Yaweee

Vigilant Walrus said:
nah it's fine dude. You did what many can't - they don't know when to stop, thus getting burned out, and suddenly start to think that ofcourse it's not them that is just tired of the game - no. the latest patch/change/nerf/buff/whatever killed all the fun.

Obviously thats bullshit. People just dont know when to move on. That's what so many of these f**king vanilla purists don't get. You can disagree about some changes and think they turn it into something worse for the game, but most likely, these people who feel this way are just getting closer to the threshold of having had enough of the gameplay mechanics, interface, controls, engine - and no content patch is going to fix that.

The difference is of course that other peoples favorite games - OOT, Half-Life, and so on, are not played for 2500 hours or more. Because WoW has no satisfying ending, the player is asked when to call it quits. many people get confused, and can't logically just realise it's them, not the game that has changed. The player has changed from being inexperienced and unaware about the wonders of the game, to being knowledged and a master of the game. Obviously everything is better in the beginning. the first time.
Many people just don't seem to realise this.

There are exceptions to the rule though, but for many annoying people I am convinced it holds true.

/rant

This is all as factually correct as a post can be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom