• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Rapstah said:
Although the actual heal from Smite will be nerfed in 4.0.3 (or in the case of the US, WAS nerfed), that's the core mana regen of disc priests at the moment. If you Archangel at five stacks of the buff you get from smiting, you'll regen 15% of your mana. That's a lot more than five smites' worth of mana.
No it wasn't. They didn't make any class changes in this patch. The only changes they have are Cataclysm changes, i.e. ones that are going to be put in on Dec. 7, unless they ninja nerfed/buffed every single class.

So, just upgraded my computer to something that can get more than 5FPS in raids (a lot more :lol ).
I'm looking for some good interfaces now that I can run add ons, anyone have anything?
I'm mostly healing if that helps.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Evlar said:
You mean it's been there for weeks? No, that isn't normal.
It is somewhat normal. Mine does not ever go away and crashes the client 100% of the time.

I just start the game from the .exe file instead of the launcher. It's some sort of conflict with Vistax64 as far as I can tell, since it goes away when I run the launcher as an admin.

sykoex said:
Upon first installing the last patch, up until this new patch became available, the progress bar on the launcher said "Applying non-critical updates. This will take some time." This message never went away and it's still there after installing the new patch. Is this normal?

jTkSL.jpg

Same as me though it still launches the game fine

Evlar

Banned
AceBandage said:
So, just upgraded my computer to something that can get more than 5FPS in raids (a lot more :lol ).
I'm looking for some good interfaces now that I can run add ons, anyone have anything?
I'm mostly healing if that helps.
I'll recommend Grid for raid frames and Clique for click-casting, to start. Tons of configuration options to show what you need (health of course, debuffs you can dispel, HoTs if you have them, other healing buffs, aggro, etc.) and hide what you don't (the cloud of debuffs you CAN'T dispel, for example). I use Pitbull for my nonraid unit frames, Bartender 4 for casting bars.

One addon I really like but don't see mentioned so often anymore is Mik's Scrolling Battle Text (MSBT). This is the addon that pops up status information around your character in-screen. For instance, it will tell you how much damage each hit and each tick of your DoTs does as it happens as numbers with icons that fall clockwise around your character. It will show the damage you take in a similar manner. It can show healing, item procs, automatic buffs from talents, and so forth, as alerts right on your screen. All of this spam may appear distracting but in practice it is very useful. It's particularly great for alerting you when long-cooldown abilities become available- for instance, in PvP situations I want to know immediately when my Shadowfiend comes off cooldown, and MSBT makes it obvious (and even plays a little sound effect to punctuate it). All of this information spam is customizable, so you can filter out the stuff you never want to see.

MSBT has been successful enough that Blizzard has built a form of it into the default UI. Nevertheless, I prefer the flexibility and finesse of the original.

Duki

Banned
i thought maybe it was background downloading the new patch just because it could, thus "non-critical", since you dont need it atm.

Angry Grimace

Duki said:
i thought maybe it was background downloading the new patch just because it could, thus "non-critical", since you dont need it atm.
It doesn't, it's because people on Vista aren't running as admin, which calls some error.

Evlar

Banned
Speaking of addons, I'd like to say thanks to whomever recommended the NeedToKnow buff/debuff tracker last week. It works wonders with my Shadowpriest.
Rapstah said:
I get it on W7 running as admin.
I'm running Win7 64 as admin, I don't have the bug.

Flib

It's the same for me on normal and beta, running both as administrator. Doesn't make me crash or anything though. W7 x64

Disc healing sounds awesome.

I wish I could get over my control issues and stop tanking, but every time I try healing, I get in groups with idiots and end up wanting to uninstall the game. I think my only hope for healing is to group with a friend tanking.

Jazzy Network said:
Question about Disc Priest healing. I think I'm doing it wrong. Am I supposed to spec into smite healing and Evangelism? Sounds really dumb to me. Right now I'm just putting pw:s on tanks and pom and using Penance as my big heal. Occasionally using renew and oh shit flash heals on clothies. It's not very mana efficient at all, but I seem to be doing ok in the short run. Would love some help on the best way to do it while being mana efficient.

Someone on the priest forms did a cool video on smite healing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejCGz6oXCqo Personally I find it only useful in 5 mans and old content, not in a raid. Plus I heard they were nerfing atonement to 50%. So I'll probably go a non smite healing route at 85.

Angry Grimace

Dr. Pangloss said:
Someone on the priest forms did a cool video on smite healing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejCGz6oXCqo Personally I find it only useful in 5 mans and old content, not in a raid. Plus I heard they were nerfing atonement to 50%. So I'll probably go a non smite healing route at 85.
BTW, PW:S scales like shit at 85. It's not even worth a GCD. I'm not sure what Disc is supposed to be.

theultimo

Angry Grimace said:
BTW, PW:S scales like shit at 85. It's not even worth a GCD. I'm not sure what Disc is supposed to be.
The most mana-efficient healer I think, more like a Tank Healer. You can easily use just DPS gear on it instead of healing gear, and have enough mana regeneration for critical heals. I can't outheal a Holy class, but I can easily out-sustain any Holy class. Its the endurance pretty much. Also, look at the changes with PW:B coming. No "Absorbing Damage" like PW:S, but a pain supression-like bubble with 30% DR and no casting interruptions. Instead of lasting .5 seconds like it has been, it will last the full time. Great for Locks/mages in Raids.

Dr. Pangloss said:
Hmm, lame then.

Druid healing feels pretty fun right now, but my healers aren't max level...so I don't know much!

Right now I'm sitting on a 72 druid, 70 priest, 65 pally and 53 shaman.

I'm busily leveling the pally, but I think she'll be a tank.

The druid is fun--wild growth, lifebloom, flowers. It all just flows nicely.

My priest has been enjoying holy, with chakra, but it's feeling a bit stale.

I just wish healing classes were more fun (for me) to solo. Warrior and Pally soloing and questing is just so much more fun than druid or priest. And shaman is a mixed bag, but I'm only 53 with him...

McNei1y

Tamanon said:
Ya know, I honestly wouldn't be completely surprised if the Shattering occurred this Friday or Saturday.

As cool as that would be, I doubt they would give us such a big part of Cata before it even comes out.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I really hope my prediction of keeping the elemental bosses around for 2 weeks won't last. I'm already sick of them :p

McNei1y said:
As cool as that would be, I doubt they would give us such a big part of Cata before it even comes out.
But people are going to be able to experience what 4.0.3a is anyway without even having to buy Cataclysm~

May as well get it over with now if it is sitting there and okay to run.

Angry Grimace said:

Well the talent buffs are nice.

Apply PW:S gives a Disc priest:
-10% crit on those with Weakened Soul
-14% spell haste
-2.5% total mana upon destruction

Other talents are nice:
-Power Infusion: 20% casting speed and 20% lower mana cost
-Inner Focus: Free heal spell with an extra 25% to crit
-Pain Suppression: Extra Shield Wall
-Divine Aegis: Extra shield on crits and all PoHing done (this in tandem with the PoH glyph makes PoH heal for an extra 20% HoT with a 30% bubble effect)
-Grace: A 25% increase to healing on the tank if needed
-PW: Barrier: 30% damage reduction for all
-Oh forgot to mention Penance which beats anything on Holy side

Milpool

If you let the launcher just sit there it will apply the non-critical patches over time, it has taken over 5 minutes in some cases for me. As far as I can tell if you press play before it applies the patches it will never show WoW as up to date.

Alex

That's an excellent question, I wonder when they will apply all of the new beta tweaks like retuned low level scaling and dungeon values because they are not in 4.0.3.

I guess they could be in 4.0.3a, but that would be a little odd, isn't that just supposed to be a switch they flip for the new world? Would it bring all that data in with it?

notworksafe

I assumed that 4.0.3a was when the balance changes were going in to the game. It could come with the Cataclysm launch patch, but I think it might be easier to just drop stuff in as is from Beta.

Alex

It would be goofy as hell to release the new world and not release the leveling values and dungeon buffs, so I relaly hope that's not the case.

Kintaco

I assume that these elemental invasion bosses are for lvl 80? I'm 79 at the moment on my hunter and I want me some welfare epics.

theultimo

Kintaco said:
I assume that these elemental invasion bosses are for lvl 80? I'm 79 at the moment on my hunter and I want me some welfare epics.
2 bosses require gear as well. its an 80+ for 2 bosses, and 80+ geared for 2 more.

McNei1y

speedpop said:
But people are going to be able to experience what 4.0.3a is anyway without even having to buy Cataclysm~

May as well get it over with now if it is sitting there and okay to run.

Yeah but the whole point of Cataclysm is the Cataclysm and Death Wing. It wouldn't make much sense to release the cataclysm before hand and then wait however amount of days to experience the new zones and death wing.

notworksafe

Blizzard has already confirmed that the new zones and the like will be in before the expansion.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/underdev/
Shortly before Cataclysm launches, Azeroth as you know it will be changed forever. Patch 4.0.3 will bring with it cataclysmic changes to the Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor. Players will be able to find new and exciting sights to see and quests to do in the level 1-60 zones, all-new troll and gnome introductory experiences, redesigned capital cities, new race/class combinations, and more!

notworksafe

Alex said:
Just for fun, I'm going to guess it'll be the 30th.
Going to second this. I think we'll get two weeks with the bosses (or one week with the bosses and one week of Deathwing rolling around and burning people) before we get the new zones.

Anyone want to volunteer for thread making for the Shattering patch? I figure I'll get one made up like I did with 4.0.1 if no one else feels like it.

Flib

Is there a point when we're going to need to do a Cataclysm OT (which I'd be happy to put together since I have access to the beta)?

notworksafe

I'd think that keeping this WoW thread around as the OT and then making a thread explaining all the new stuff being added in Cata on Gaming side would be the way to go.

Perhaps combine the Cata thread and the Shattering patch thread, since the Shattering is the bulk of the new stuff in Cata.

Might want to ask a mod though, since I'm not totally sure if that's the best way to do it.

How is Disc solo questing? I hate shadow oh so much and really want to try to level my priest a bit.

(Also, anyone remember whether Borean Tundra or Howling Fjord is better for casters?)

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Some girl in my guild claims her boyfriend works for massively or champion or something, and they hear things from blizzard and that 4.0.3a isn't coming until the day of/day before cataclysm release.

What's the word on this? I call bullshit but she's arguing it up in trade chat too. I thought we'd heard it was going to be out before release.

notworksafe

If only there was a post on this very page giving the closest to concrete info we have on a release date for the Shattering patch....

Flib

notworksafe said:
I'd think that keeping this WoW thread around as the OT and then making a thread explaining all the new stuff being added in Cata on Gaming side would be the way to go.

Perhaps combine the Cata thread and the Shattering patch thread, since the Shattering is the bulk of the new stuff in Cata.

Might want to ask a mod though, since I'm not totally sure if that's the best way to do it.

Makes sense, there seem to be a ton of people who won't venture into this thread though. Either way something should go up in the gaming forum next week. As I said I'm happy to write/grab shots for it, though I'm not really experienced with custom graphics (banners and such).

notworksafe

When I did the 4.0.1 patch thread I put links at the bottom to various news sources with info like mmo-c / wow homepage / wowhead and a link to this thread as well for people who were resubbing.

If you want help with custom graphics I could help you out as well. I just don't know enough about Beta or what content there is to put everything out there myself. Just hit me up over PM or AIM (in my profile) if you want image help.

Alex

Your guildie seems to be pulling your leg. It confuses me as why people invent such awkward tales like that, especially when there's blue posts everywhere that says The Shattering is prior to the release of Cataclysm.

Retro

I'm pretty handy with Photoshop if people need a hand with banners and such.

Just make sure the OT post mentions that there is no GAF Guild or GAF-server (though we kind of unofficially are congregating towards Area 52, aren't we?). That's likely to get asked a lot.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Anyone else chat window is broken? Guild, General, Trade.... I can't see what i write, i cant see what others write either.

And i tried to learn 2 new glyphs today, and i got nothing. NOTHING. What a waste of cooldowns and inks.

Edit : Seems like one of my addon was doing it.

Narag

Alex said:
Your guildie seems to be pulling your leg. It confuses me as why people invent such awkward tales like that, especially when there's blue posts everywhere that says The Shattering is prior to the release of Cataclysm.

A lot don't read the info hence the trade chat patch day cries of "WTF HAPPENED" Also, said people also perpetuate misinformation by believing what others pass off as fact in trade.

My experience, anyhow.

J-Rzez

We're doing the achievements for the mount in ICC, and on loot ship, if you jump in the turrets the boat flies away and you can't hit it... LOL...

Yay patch day!

notworksafe said:
Going to second this. I think we'll get two weeks with the bosses (or one week with the bosses and one week of Deathwing rolling around and burning people) before we get the new zones.

Anyone want to volunteer for thread making for the Shattering patch? I figure I'll get one made up like I did with 4.0.1 if no one else feels like it.

If Deathwing is flying around the world fucking people up wouldn't that suggest the Shattering already happened? iirc it happens when he escapes.

On when the Shattering will occur:

My guess: World of Warcraft launched November 23, 2004. And the date of next Tuesday is November 23, 2010. So... seems like a pretty appropriate day to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom