• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
PhoenixDark said:
What spec are you? If you have a prot spec you can get to 80 super fast just using the looking-for-group option for instances.

My main specc is fury, but I got a second talent filled with protection. Doing instances is fun, but I like the variety of doing quests and instances.

TimeKillr

Flib said:
edit: I will say though, healing is much more difficult in Cataclysm, to the point where it's going to be an acquired taste like tanking (I say that because there are so many shitty healers out there who just get by). The amount of damage throughput in some of these dungeons and heroics is pretty amazing, and while you have the toolbox to deal with it, it's stressful. You have to get used to people not being topped off, which isn't something that really existed in wrath. Also, a lot of the burden shifts onto the dps. There are a lot of enemy abilities that will just automatically kill them if they are playing sloppily, and there is nothing the healer can do about it.

This makes me happy, while scaring me at the same time.

Randoms will be murder, and healers are going to be even rarer this time around. Maybe healers will have instant queues, much like tanks do now?

I don't mind either way - my Druid was my first healer and I love healing with her so much that I'm sticking to resto in Cata. My guild always needs good healers, and now that we can also tank heal we can just have 2 resto Druids in raids and not worry too much about tank healing.

Antagon

Rapstah said:
What instances that aren't Scholomance or Halls of Reflection have areas where you hit a loading screen and fall into the real world?

You can jump off of the walls of shadowfang keep (or at least could, not sure if that has changed in cataclysm)

Flib

TimeKillr said:

Randoms will be murder, and healers are going to be even rarer this time around. Maybe healers will have instant queues, much like tanks do now?

I don't mind either way - my Druid was my first healer and I love healing with her so much that I'm sticking to resto in Cata. My guild always needs good healers, and now that we can also tank heal we can just have 2 resto Druids in raids and not worry too much about tank healing.

Queues times are currently equal between healers and tanks on the beta, so you will probably see more of an equalization on live.

theultimo

TimeKillr said:

Going off the bosses right now - healers have instant queues. I'm waiting for the QQ people always wanting to top themselves off..Going by the bosses, some people can't play their spec well, and its gonna hurt randoms a bit.

Rokam

Can someone explain to me how Inscription Research cooldowns work. Some days it's 24 hours, others it's 22, it was 7 for awhile, and now it's a 9 hour cooldown.

Tamanon

Banned
Rokam said:
Can someone explain to me how Inscription Research cooldowns work. Some days it's 24 hours, others it's 22, it was 7 for awhile, and now it's a 9 hour cooldown.

It's once a day, but based off midnight server time. So, no matter what time you do it, it'll be available after midnight, even if you do it right before.

Narag

Rokam said:

Resets at midnight server time.

Evlar

Banned
Tamanon said:
It's once a day, but based off midnight server time. So, no matter what time you do it, it'll be available after midnight, even if you do it right before.
Same as the JC daily.

moojito

So I tried to fire up the wow today and I get the launcher downloading some update tools or something. It finishes, and now I get a launcher, a greyed out play button and not a lot else.

Anyone heard anything about that? I think I'm just about at the point where if it doesn't sort itself out I'll just leave it at that and call it good.

Tamanon

Banned
Rokam said:
Umm was this a change in the patch, because it used to reset at random times, depending on when you last used it.

4.0.3 changed it. It's also when they changed Glyphs to being triple mats and triple increases.

Rokam

Thank you kind sir! Started doing some exploring on PTR, and Blizzard really wasted an area in Darkshore.
The giant whirlpool you can jump into and get sucked down, I was hoping for a big questing zone or a bunch of mobs, all I found was 1 ghost and a demon hunter

notworksafe

moojito said:
So I tried to fire up the wow today and I get the launcher downloading some update tools or something. It finishes, and now I get a launcher, a greyed out play button and not a lot else.

Anyone heard anything about that? I think I'm just about at the point where if it doesn't sort itself out I'll just leave it at that and call it good.
What happens if you directly open WoW without the launcher? Something tells me it's having an issue either downloading or installing the new patch. Also Mac or PC?

Another suggestion from the WoW forums. They use Mac folder names, but it's basically the same on Windows:

Go in your wow folder and delete the wow.mfil and wow.tfil files

Then go and delete these folders here :

Mac HD -> Applications -> World of Warcraft -> Cache
Mac HD -> Applications -> World of Warcraft -> Data -> Cache

Flib

Rokam said:
Thank you kind sir! Started doing some exploring on PTR, and Blizzard really wasted an area in Darkshore.
The giant whirlpool you can jump into and get sucked down, I was hoping for a big questing zone or a bunch of mobs, all I found was 1 ghost and a demon hunter

Don't worry, going into this whirlpool will prove a bit more dramatic and exciting (think the Azjol-Nerub drop)

20100514175702243.jpg

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Where... is that?

Flib

The Abyssal Depths in Vashjir. It leads to the entrance hub to the Abyssal Maw dungeon. Vashjir is beyond enormous, it's like the size of 3 wrath zones.

It take like 2 to 3 minutes on the seahorse mount just to get back up to the surface from there.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I thought it'd be Vashjr near that water instance... but sweet mother, does it look different from the above.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I've have had everything set to low for a a few months because of hardware problems.

Damn, my enjoyment level has raised a lot with better particles.

If you have a shitty PC too, and since putting everything on low can be a reflex, make sure you put particle density on Ultra at least.

ZIPbC.png

UC7Zp.png

bQCj1.png

Flib

Yoshichan said:
I thought it'd be Vashjr near that water instance... but sweet mother, does it look different from the above.
It looks cooler than that now, that's mostly untextured. It's pretty crazy the changes they've made to some of these zones. Most of the areas you see in early mmochampion alpha/beta previews look way different and better/more complex.

notworksafe

AFKevin said:
Anyone know how long this sale lasts? Trying to get my friend in on it, but he has to transfer funds and it could take a bit.
Not sure. This looks like Amazon clearing out old stock to me, however. New Battle Chest incoming soon?

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
notworksafe said:
Not sure. This looks like Amazon clearing out old stock to me, however. New Battle Chest incoming soon?

either way, I doubt the new battle chest will be less than $40.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I did Night Elf 1-12 on the PTR last night and was impressed, especially when people were saying in General that the Night Elf starter area is the most tame compared to the others on Alliance. Things flowed so much more smoothly and the moonwell chain dialogue was done superbly.

Flib

speedpop said:
I did Night Elf 1-12 on the PTR last night and was impressed, especially when people were saying in General that the Night Elf starter area is the most tame compared to the others on Alliance. Things flowed so much more smoothly and the moonwell chain dialogue was done superbly.
Not a fan of them in general, but check out the new forsaken starting area. Really cool stuff.

Evlar

Banned
Ran the first six levels of a Gnome Priest. The new Gnomeregan starting area is nice, vastly improved to what they had before of course. I'm just wandering around Dun Morogh wide-eyed oggling all the changes. Dun Morogh was my very first experience with WoW... hearing new music, seeing the changed landscape, it's a little unsettling.

EDIT: My PTR client says there's more to download, despite the first batch being done and the game playable. Are they patching stuff in that quickly?

Evlar said:
Ran the first six levels of a Gnome Priest. The new Gnomeregan starting area is nice, vastly improved to what they had before of course. I'm just wandering around Dun Morogh wide-eyed oggling all the changes. Dun Morogh was my very first experience with WoW... hearing new music, seeing the changed landscape, it's a little unsettling.

EDIT: My PTR client says there's more to download, despite the first batch being done and the game playable. Are they patching stuff in that quickly?

Are you having any issues logging into the PTR? It tells me the login server is down

sestrugen

notworksafe said:

mmm, not sure if I should pick this up, I saw best buy is having the battlechest for $10 on black friday but not sure if I can get to one on time..... decisions, decisions.

notworksafe

sestrugen said:
mmm, not sure if I should pick this up, I saw best buy is having the battlechest for $10 on black friday but not sure if I can get to one on time..... decisions, decisions.
Which is more important to you? $10 or not having to wake up at 5am? :lol

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Flib said:
Not a fan of them in general, but check out the new forsaken starting area. Really cool stuff.
Yeah I will.

Just quickly doing the Troll Druid starter and I really loved it. Amazing that Blizzard can create an NPC to occasionally pop up now and then and you quickly gain an attachment to them (Zani fanclub represent). I also loved the story that Zen'tabra talks about in terms of the loa and when the Trolls requested to be in the Cenarion Circle with the Night Elf flipping out :lol

Dug up some old screenshots from 2004/2005 leveling and made some comparisons for fun. The Hammerfall one doesn't show off hardly any Cataclysm changes, aside from the increased view distance available, but it's still fun to look at ^_^ Also gg @ my old 1280x1024 CRT

Hammerfall.jpg

Freewind.jpg

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You can tell how "awesome" the Elemental Invasion event is. After 3 days, it doesn't even get cleared now. :lol

Atomski

Ive actually been looking for a wow podcast. I tried The Instance for a while but god did the host get annoying after a few episodes.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
Atomski said:
Ive actually been looking for a wow podcast. I tried The Instance for a while but god did the host get annoying after a few episodes.

It's pretty cool, they are giving away that $200 headset from Astrogaming they use in MLG, they're ahead of Oprah on iTunes too. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom