• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

notworksafe

SnakeswithLasers said:
It's really funny that only now that the quests are compelling is it possible to level up just using dungeon runs. Not that I'm complaining. :D
I dunno, I leveled my Paladin through a mix a dungeons and PVP. I actually went out of my way to see how little quests I could do and still get to 80 (iirc it was like 3-400ish). :D

But yeah, I was talking about this in guild chat last night. You can really level however you want. Quests, PVP, dungeons, even mining/herbing. Or a mix of all of those!

Retro

notworksafe said:
Wow. Finally finished all of 1K Needles on my Druid. Well done Blizzard. Here's hoping that Felwood can stack up.

It seems to me that some zones have gotten a HUGE overhaul and some have just gotten a minor tweak. Silverpine is VASTLY changed, while it sounds like Arathi Highlands was just slightly tweaked but the quests are essentially the same. Kind of a bummer, but it's understandable considering the work that was put into some places.

It makes me wonder if Blizzard rushed to get Cataclysm out in time for Christmas. That's not meant to sound J-rez-ic, I've been having a blast and I'm glad it's out... still, I can't help but wonder if certain zones just didn't get the love they needed.

Which then makes me wonder if we'll see these zones get overhauled later as part of a content patch. For example, Arathi Highlands has a HUGE history with Stromgarde and the Trolls, and Hinterlands has trolls out the ass. Maybe one of the content patches will deal with the repatriated Gilneans (who were once part of the Kingdom of Strom) laying claim to the Kingdom (since they're closer to the old kingdom of Lordaeron than Stormwind) and the revitalized Trolls looking to move up in the world (especially since they're at odds with the Orcs now). All of that could spill in the Hinterlands and Zabra'jin.

I dunno. Could be a great content patch, especially if they redid Stromgarde in Worgen-fashion, tweaked the look of Arathi Basin and focused on Troll/Human relations.

zlatko

Banned
So I got an email last night from Blizzard to do call them or submit a long ass form, include a copy of my driver's license ID with writing next to it, and just all around way too big dick of a hassle for me to go through.

I call them today, and the robot lady on the phone tells me I need to do a form, but then I realize the link is to that same form. I call back thinking I'll be able to talk to someone in person and it tells me their lines are full and to try calling back later.

Anyone who had their account stolen know if the only way to get it back is doing this long intrusive form? The problems with this method are I A) Moved a few months back and have not changed my driver's license to this state because I'm not driving here. B) I don't have a printer to print out the form and mail it out. C) Don't have a webcam/scanner

notworksafe

I got my account stolen a few years ago and I was able to get it recovered over phone without having to use the form.

Expect the phone lines to be mega busy though. Coming off a holiday weekend, just had a big sale, everyone returning to the game to find their account got jacked are all going to add up to long ass phone queues. It does the "phone is too busy call back later" thing when the expected wait time is over one hour from what I understand. I'd try just calling again in 15-20 to see if it's improved.

zlatko

Banned
notworksafe said:
I got account stolen a few years ago and I was able to get it recovered over phone without having to use the form.

Expect the phone lines to be mega busy though. Coming off a holiday weekend, just had a big sale, everyone returning to the game to find their account got jacked are all going to add up to long ass phone queues.

Bleh, understandable then. I'm just glad once I do get someone on the phone I can rectify the issue. Is there anything I'll need on me for the call for information they'll need that I might not know off the top of my head ?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Retro said:
It makes me wonder if Blizzard rushed to get Cataclysm out in time for Christmas. That's not meant to sound J-rez-ic, I've been having a blast and I'm glad it's out... still, I can't help but wonder if certain zones just didn't get the love they needed.

It's not just for Christmas... they had to release the expansion soon, Wrath was getting old, and so was ICC. It was a huge task to update the 2 old continents, and sure, we all hoped all zones got the same treatment as Silverpine or WPL or Westfall or Darkshore, but it was probably a bit much to ask. I haven't done Arathi or Hinterlands yet, but if they got the same tweaks as, say Duskwood, i'll be happy enough with that.

Jijidasu

Quick question before I pull the trigger on the parts;

Is a GTX 460 going to provide an outstanding experience in WoW, visually?

Seems to be one of the better cards for money/performance right about now, just having found nothing on anyone using the said card for WoW/Cataclysm I`m a little curious.

Cheers.

eosos

Banned
Autumn Thread said:

Seems to be one of the better cards for money/performance right about now, just having found nothing on anyone using the said card for WoW/Cataclysm I`m a little curious.

Cheers.
Oh yeah, you'll be set. If you do decide to buy it PM me so we can do RAF!!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Autumn Thread said:

Cheers.
I don't know, I've been hearing bad things about performance of the GTX 460 in WoW. I was talking with a GAFfer on A52 just two days ago about serious performance issues with the 460.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
This quest description made me laugh. :lol The text is made to write our current class, but since im a paladin, it just makes no sense. And the text that follows just make it more funny.

zA9Nv.jpg

Tacitus_

hayguyz said:
Yeah I'm aware of that. I was wondering about items.

The engineering portal will take you to Netherstorm and if you do the Black Temple attunement, you'll get a port to the instance portal in SMV.

notworksafe

Angry Grimace said:
I don't know, I've been hearing bad things about performance of the GTX 460 in WoW. I was talking with a GAFfer on A52 just two days ago about serious performance issues with the 460.
We worked that out to be a mobo issue eventually iirc.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Angry Grimace said:

I have a 460 on one of the PCs and it runs WoW with max settings at 1900 flawlessly. That PC only has an e8400 too.

460 is overkill for WoW.

I think it's funny that I have a Phenom II x6 1075T, 8gb ram, and a 5770, but when I'm in Icecrown with no one else around I get 25-40fps using max settings. :/

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
notworksafe said:
We worked that out to be a mobo issue eventually iirc.
I've been studying for a final so I haven't talked to him since then.

xelios said:
I have a 460 on one of the PCs and it runs WoW with max settings at 1900 flawlessly. That PC only has an e8400 too.

460 is overkill for WoW.
Considering what Warcraft looks like, my 260 should in theory be overkill for WoW, but it's just enough that I don't often fall below 50 fps

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I have WoW up to Burning Crusade installed and recently bought Lich King through Blizzard online. How do I install it?

I already have up to BC, and all the latest patches including the Cataclysm one. I don't have to install the whole 24GB launcher again do I?

Angry Grimace

Deadly Cyclone said:
I have WoW up to Burning Crusade installed and recently bought Lich King through Blizzard online. How do I install it?

I already have up to BC, and all the latest patches including the Cataclysm one. I don't have to install the whole 24GB launcher again do I?
There should be an option on Battlenet to download the client. I'm not *entirely* certain that you need to install anything at all if you're up to date on the shitton of patches you'd have to download from 2.x.x to 4.0.3a.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Angry Grimace said:
There should be an option on Battlenet to download the client. I'm not *entirely* certain that you need to install anything at all if you're up to date on the shitton of patches you'd have to download from 2.x.x to 4.0.3a.

Yeah, when I download the client it acts like it is installing WoW all over again and it is like 22GB, I can't tell if I need to download anything since I am up to date on patches or not.

notworksafe

Deadly Cyclone said:
Yeah, when I download the client it acts like it is installing WoW all over again and it is like 22GB, I can't tell if I need to download anything since I am up to date on patches or not.
Try to log in and make a Death Knight.

I started a gnome priest for kicks. I really want to try out healing, but I was wondering if having a healing spec is really that important through early levels. As soon as I ding 30 I'll pick up dual-spec and not have to worry about it, but what is the better tree for solo leveling and healing instances as a priest before 30?

I have absolutely no cloth heirloom gear, but so far leveling hasn't been a problem as I just started and got up to 11 almost instantly. I think I'll still try and get the the heirloom shoulders and chest from the argent tournament grounds, but I won't worry about getting the heirloom staff. Im' soooo burned out on getting champion seals. Will probably get the shoulders first since it's hard to find shoulders early on.

Well I just encountered an amazing bug, I can't mount. Flying or ground, tried different continents, zoning in and out of instances, relogging, exiting, battlegrounds, etc. I CAN mount in Wintergrasp (only when the battle is not happening though), but as soon as I change zones it kicks me off (ground or flying). Like I said, amazing! I put in a ticket, so I look forward to being able to use a mount again in a week (though maybe I'll get lucky and the restarts or maint this Tuesday will fix it =P)

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Coldsnap said:
What races can you be on the 10 day free trial? Also can you be all the new races with the OG Wow that is $5.00?
you need Vanilla, BC to play Blood Elf and Draenei.
and you need Vanilla, BC, WOTLK, and Cataclysm to play Goblin and Worgen

Coldsnap

DeathNote said:
you need Vanilla, BC to play Blood Elf and Draenei.
and you need Vanilla, BC, WOTLK, and Cataclysm to play Goblin and Worgen

Okay, I sorta figured it was like that. I havn't played since lvl 60 OG Wow, sorta want to see all the changes.

Loving cata, cant wait for the new content, just thought i would drop this in here for everyone.
Good read, im hoping alot of people will take note.
>> Interesting article

If it is infact as ive heard from a fair few beta testers and stuff ive been reading, going back to be more true to the vanilla WoW style of raiding. Then excitement for this game is warranted

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Deadly Cyclone said:
It is 25.8 GB and yes.
mine is 25 GB too. really, you should have the full game installed already.

log into your battle.net and see what it says what expansion you have (click account at the top, and look under the summary tab)

for example, mine says World Of Warcraft: WOTLK

Marshmellow said:
Loving cata, cant wait for the new content, just thought i would drop this in here for everyone.
Good read, im hoping alot of people will take note.
>> Interesting article

If it is infact as ive heard from a fair few beta testers and stuff ive been reading, going back to be more true to the vanilla WoW style of raiding. Then excitement for this game is warranted

It is going to throw a lot of BC/WotLK newbies for a loop, that's for sure. Even the 5 mans will be a lot harder.
My one complaint is that the 10 and 25 man instances share a cooldown. That's just dumb.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
DeathNote said:
mine is 25 GB too. really, you should have the full game installed already.

for example, mine says World Of Warcraft: WOTLK

Mine says the same. In game though it does not give me the option to start a Death Knight or anything.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Deadly Cyclone said:
Mine says the same. In game though it does not give me the option to start a Death Knight or anything.
do you have a character that's at least 55?

try to enter a wotlk starting zone

McNei1y

Do the ZG quests just end after hexxer comes and stops you from
killing the snake troll
?

Now I am just doing BB quests and I'm afraid it just stops there. I want to see what happens with
Zanzil, my raptor, hexxer, and the broodlord troll guy!
. This brings me back to ZG raid.

AceBandage said:
It is going to throw a lot of BC/WotLK newbies for a loop, that's for sure. Even the 5 mans will be a lot harder.
My one complaint is that the 10 and 25 man instances share a cooldown. That's just dumb.

I dont mind, its because the gear u get in both is exactly the same, so it just means you have a choice of which one you run, i like it that i can only have 9 mates playing and we can run and get good gear, 25's TBH have too much room for failure and take too long to organize.

Hixx

Northern Barrens is great till you finish the crossroads and ratchet. Once it sends you up to the samophlange and harpy quest lines the amount of running back and forth is annoying as fuck :(

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
DeathNote said:
Stormwind Harbor, Zep inside Org, Zep outside of UC

Aha! Worked. Nice. Thanks for the help.

Now that I have that done, I am back to playing for the first time in almost a year and can't remember the add-ons I had, can anyone recommend good ones?

EDIT: And where are my mounts? They are not in my bag anymore.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Deadly Cyclone said:

Now that I have that done, I am back to playing for the first time in almost a year and can't remember the add-ons I had, can anyone recommend good ones?

-as far as death knights go, you should be able to create one. they are under class not race.
it should let you create it on any server or faction. but try it on the same.

- http://wow.curse.com/downloads/MostDownloaded.aspx?SectionID=3816 Most downloaded addons.

-they are in your spellbook http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a65/Autumnhound/WoWScrnShot_092910_205929.jpg

Deadly Cyclone said:

Mounts are under the Mounts tab in your spellbook.

As for mods, I'd suggest Bartender4, XPearl, Bagon, Deadly Boss Mod, Omen and Ratings Buster.

Angry Grimace

Everyone is deluding themselves if they really believe Heroics are going to be hard for a particularly long time. It's not like Gear Inflation isn't going to exist the exact same way it did in Wrath. I mean, we already know exactly how the Valor pt. system works.

Angry Grimace said:
Everyone is deluding themselves if they really believe Heroics are going to be hard for a particularly long time. It's not like Gear Inflation isn't going to exist the exact same way it did in Wrath. I mean, we already know exactly how the Valor pt. system works.

It's not the gear that's going to hold people back.
It's the fact that people will actually have to learn to play the game, rather than faceroll mobs and bosses.

Narag

That's how it was when WOTLK launched too though, right? Less need for CC but still mechanics to be learned. I still remember the pre-Loken pulls in HoL as well as my pet wiping parties on Ymiron. Stupid Bane. People will adjust and if a party sucks, oh well. Just hop back in the queue.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
4 fresh 80's in normal dungeon gear can aoe faceroll the WOTLK heroics can't they? i haven't tried it.

4 fresh 85's are going to have a wipes 2 years into the game if they don't nerf it. they will need to use CC.

the fuck did i type 4 for?

Narag said:
That's how it was when WOTLK launched too though, right? Less need for CC but still mechanics to be learned. I still remember the pre-Loken pulls in HoL as well as my pet wiping parties on Ymiron. Stupid Bane. People will adjust and if a party sucks, oh well. Just hop back in the queue.

It's more than just mechanics, though.
When was the last time you had to sheep, sap, banish a mob in WotLK? Pretty much never.
Healers and DPS will have to learn not to stand in stuff now (they could just power through this in WotLK).
Tanks will actually have to watch their health and agro.

A lot of people that didn't start in Vanilla are going to have to relearn what their role is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom