• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

McNei1y

AceBandage said:
It's more than just mechanics, though.
When was the last time you had to sheep, sap, banish a mob in WotLK? Pretty much never.
Healers and DPS will have to learn not to stand in stuff now (they could just power through this in WotLK).
Tanks will actually have to watch their health and agro.

A lot of people that didn't start in Vanilla are going to have to relearn what their role is.

Shit even BC did a lot of this. I am glad they are making it more strategic than just tank and spank. Reminds me of sethekk halls.

I also see that epics are back to being "epics" (not as much as vanilla) but from the heroic loot and justice points, all i see is blue gear.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
McNei1y said:
Shit even BC did a lot of this. I am glad they are making it more strategic than just tank and spank. Reminds me of sethekk halls.

I also see that epics are back to being "epics" (not as much as vanilla) but from the heroic loot and justice points, all i see is blue gear.
Yeah, heroic and Jusice is blue.
Valor, Raid, Craftable, and Rep is epic.

But, when the nest tier/season releases, I assume you can buy epics through Justice and Honor.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
McNei1y said:
Do the ZG quests just end after hexxer comes and stops you from
killing the snake troll
?

Now I am just doing BB quests and I'm afraid it just stops there. I want to see what happens with
Zanzil, my raptor, hexxer, and the broodlord troll guy!
. This brings me back to ZG raid.

Nothing as far as i know. There is probably going to be some troll raid in a future patch to follow that story. :D

Speaking of Cataclysm story.
I finished the WPL zone earlier on the Alliance side. After the Alliance lost Andorhal, Thassarian said he was going to Tirisfal to deal with Sylvanas and see what she has done with Koltira. I'm curious to see what's going to happen with Sylvanas in this expansion. Surely she'll become a traitor or something that will end up being a raid boss. Or maybe she'll just get killed by Garrosh or Thassarian. They both seem to want to kill her so bad.

McNei1y

Bisnic said:
Nothing as far as i know. There is probably going to be some troll raid in a future patch to follow that story. :D

Damn! That's such a bummer. The guys at Bambala were saying something along the lines of "you will see your raptor soon enough!" or something similar to that. There definitely has to be something important following that because its to big of a plot:
to just let two major troll characters attempt to bring hakkar back and let them continue doing so.

Sober

rhfb said:
Area 52 is locked! Oh noes :(
I've never had queue problems in the 2-3 years I've played on it since TBC, kinda strange it's happening in Cata.

BTW, I didn't notice but a ton of gaffers are on A52? I had a priest there but I convinced my friends to xfer over when we started out new guild. Horde side of course.

Since we're on story talk, what happened to Cairne? I know he was Killed off by Garrosh, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of story behind. Feels like they swept him under the rug. They gave sylvannas such a big part, it's a shame cairne just vanished. Guess I should do the mulgore quests, maybe that will shed more light on him.

Sylvannas seems like she is going to be a huge part in Cata, just going off her clashings with Garrosh and the Silverpine quests.

I just hope they don't turn her into a raid boss, or kill her. I'm a big fan of hers.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
First time trying out a Prot Paladin at level 30 and I'm really enjoying the mechanics of it. I might try Holy out within the next 10 levels and see how it goes, and if it's really good I can say goodbye to Retribution.

Narag

MattPeters said:
Since we're on story talk, what happened to Cairne? I know he was Killed off by Garrosh, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of story behind. Feels like they swept him under the rug. They gave sylvannas such a big part, it's a shame cairne just vanished. Guess I should do the mulgore quests, maybe that will shed more light on him.

Sylvannas seems like she is going to be a huge part in Cata, just going off her clashings with Garrosh and the Silverpine quests.

I just hope they don't turn her into a raid boss, or kill her. I'm a big fan of hers.

It's in The Shattering book:

He's upset with how Garrosh is leading the Horde and challenges him to a duel to the death to settle the matter in Thrall's absence. Magatha Grimtotem poisons Gorehowl and Garrosh scratches Cairne but enough for the point to take effect. Garrosh kills him while he's defenseless. A good portion of the book up until that part dealt with Cairne struggling internally with the matter.

DeathNote said:
4 fresh 80's in normal dungeon gear can aoe faceroll the WOTLK heroics can't they? i haven't tried it.
I remember when Wrath launched and my guild was starting heroics--they were actually tough. Not as tough as Scarlet Monastery was in vanilla, but I remember having some wipes.

So I activated after being absent since a couple months after ICC opened. What should I be doing to prepare for Cataclysm? Are there any chains I should go do? Any suggestions in general?

ToyMachine228 said:
So I activated after being absent since a couple months after ICC opened. What should I be doing to prepare for Cataclysm? Are there any chains I should go do? Any suggestions in general?
Not really... Get anybody to 80 that you want to main in cata. Otherwise, start an alt and enjoy the new zones.

HildyB

Deadly Cyclone said:
Aha! Worked. Nice. Thanks for the help.

Now that I have that done, I am back to playing for the first time in almost a year and can't remember the add-ons I had, can anyone recommend good ones?

EDIT: And where are my mounts? They are not in my bag anymore.

Just getting started again I'd stay away from the Actionbar mods like Bartender and the like till you get used to what you have and need more from it.

Simple mods. OneBag or ArcInventory for inventory management. OmniCC for cooldown counter, TipTac for tool tip tweaks. OverAchiever for keeping track of those addictive achievements. Deadly Boss Mods is a must for dungeon running, you don't need to do anything but install it.

zlatko

Banned
So I'm dumb and just realized you have to have a level 55 character on any server in order to roll a DK. I had a level 60 Tauren, and I can't find him on any of the servers. Took forever to find some of my other old characters because around 30 servers had a character on it due to that account jacker making so many level 1's.

How fast does it take to get to 55? I have a naked a level 31 warrior and 30 rogue on one server.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Question. Is there anyway to get these rocket mounts outside of RAF or card stuff? Like with Engineering or something?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Manus

I have 10 pieces of ilevel 187 gear on my DK alt and it still won't let me do heroics. This is total BS, I don't remember it being this hard getting into heroics.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
SquirrelNuckle said:
I have 10 pieces of ilevel 187 gear on my DK alt and it still won't let me do heroics. This is total BS, I don't remember it being this hard getting into heroics.
is needing to explore the instances implemented?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
SquirrelNuckle said:
No, the DF says I need to have an average of i180 item level. Which I clearly have. Currently says I have 176.
180-176= 4 too little son

can you buy something from the AH to bump it up?

Narag

SquirrelNuckle said:
It just sucks. Their's no way you're gonna be able to get into heroics, by just solely doing quests than. I'm tired of doing the same dungeon just for one piece.

In a little over a week, it'll all be replaced by questing gear anyhow. No reason to get too hung up on it.

McNei1y

MagicJackBauer said:
What does everyone use for UI on here? Just the default? I tried Spartan UI and it just seemed like a mess to me. Any other suggestions?

I use Shadow Unit Frames.

Link to Download

example.png

JesseZao

MagicJackBauer said:
What does everyone use for UI on here? Just the default? I tried Spartan UI and it just seemed like a mess to me. Any other suggestions?

I don't use anything fancy, but if I were to stumble upon a light-weight UI package I'd try it out. The main thing I can't go without is bartender. I also usually have x-perl on as well.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Bisnic said:
Ew, pink rocket.

Guess i'll never have one that looks cool.
The funny part is that people pay 300 bucks for the Nether rocket even though you can just pay for your own RAF account for like ~60 bucks and get one if you really wanted one that bad.

Angry Grimace

Deadly Cyclone said:
Ugh, did something very dumb, thought you could send cross server mail and sent myself 500 gold, that gold is now gone i guess. :(
Somebody else has your name?

zlatko

Banned
I was reading up the shattering thread here on Gaf, and listened to some of the new music samplings.

:( So sad the stormwind music was replaced. That was my most memorable piece of music to this day from vanilla WoW times. While the new theme is good I thought the other was much better.

Atomski

Deadly Cyclone said:
Ugh, did something very dumb, thought you could send cross server mail and sent myself 500 gold, that gold is now gone i guess. :(

Send a message to a gm, maybe they can fix it before the guy gets the money.

Aurarian

notworksafe said:
We worked that out to be a mobo issue eventually iirc.

Actually, that hasn't done anything at all. I have no idea what to do at this point, I've even made a thread on the forums to ask them what's up with my shoddy performance.

JesseZao

I totally forgot Area 52 is the realm that had the Sunwell Legendary Bow drama (given to rogue over hunter). Was GAF on there before or after that happened? :D

Flib

So last week, my newly reformed guild got up to LK in two nights (4 1/2 hours total), and only half the group had been past deathbringer (guild i mostly old-school vanilla raiders who leveled to 80 and quit for 90% of LK...i quit in TOC and came back over the summer, didn't raid at all once i got back). This week was shot because of Thanksgiving, so we went tonight to start LK attempts.

KINGSLAYER GET. That was a lot of fun, and it was an awesome lead into cata for this group. Pretty much checked off all of my to-do-before-cata list.

notworksafe

JesseZao said:
I totally forgot Area 52 is the realm that had the Sunwell Legendary Bow drama (given to rogue over hunter). Was GAF on there before or after that happened? :D
After sadly. Would have loved to be there at the time for Hunter tears.

Aesthet1c

Alright, quick question for you guys who have done One Light in the Darkness.

Is Thorim needed with a geared group? I know a couple of you suggested we take either Freya or Hodir, both seem like great options. But Thorim seems to make phase 3 easy mode. Without him what do you do? Can you just burn Yogg down without killing adds? Or do you have to do some special mechanic to bring the adds down?

notworksafe

The adds won't die without Thorim. You just have to tank all of them until Yogg goes down. That's why I personally think Thorim is the guardian that helps the most.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Aesthet1c said:
Alright, quick question for you guys who have done One Light in the Darkness.

Is Thorim needed with a geared group? I know a couple of you suggested we take either Freya or Hodir, both seem like great options. But Thorim seems to make phase 3 easy mode. Without him what do you do? Can you just burn Yogg down without killing adds? Or do you have to do some special mechanic to bring the adds down?

Thorim.

If you can't do the fight without going insane, then you shouldn't be bothering.

Angry Grimace

AceBandage said:
It's not the gear that's going to hold people back.
It's the fact that people will actually have to learn to play the game, rather than faceroll mobs and bosses.
You couldn't faceroll U-Pinnacle on heroic when Wrath came out. People that signed up in ToC and beyond era just believe that you could. They weren't a ballbusting cockblock like TBC heroics, and certainly weren't HARD, but it was certainly possible to die or fail at them.

It just cracks me up seeing people just announcing, "you will have to sheep and trap mobs in Cataclsym." Bullshit you will. Maybe when everyone has heroic blues you do.

But call me up when the 2nd raid tier comes out and everyone has full justice pt. purples and show me all the people sheeping mobs. Sheeping things is really boring and tedious after the 3rd pull of having to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom