• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Hey GAF,

I was thinking about returning to World of Warcraft because of Cataclysm coming out. I haven't played since before Burning Crusade when Nax was the new instance. I'll most likely be playing on Illidan on the Horde side.

Tamanon

Banned
Man, my little gnome disc priest is just burning through mobs with Penance. It's absolutely silly.:D

Oh and "Varian Wrynn doesn't care about Wetlands people"

Trojita said:
Hey GAF,

I was thinking about returning to World of Warcraft because of Cataclysm coming out. I haven't played since before Burning Crusade when Nax was the new instance. I'll most likely be playing on Illidan on the Horde side.

Well, Naxx is in Northrend now.

Other than that, you will probably be shocked, SHOCKED at how much the game has changed/improved.

Other than that, Illidan Horde is a great place to be - one of the top tier raiding realms with no shortage of good guilds (and as a result, pugs). Healthy economy since it's old too.

If you want a scroll of resurrection (7-day trial that has more benefit for the giver than the getter, but it's harmless either way), hit me, or one of the various other gaffers up!

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
You couldn't faceroll U-Pinnacle on heroic when Wrath came out. People that signed up in ToC and beyond era just believe that you could. They weren't a ballbusting cockblock like TBC heroics, and certainly weren't HARD, but it was certainly possible to die or fail at them.

It just cracks me up seeing people just announcing, "you will have to sheep and trap mobs in Cataclsym." Bullshit you will. Maybe when everyone has heroic blues you do.

But call me up when the 2nd raid tier comes out and everyone has full justice pt. purples and show me all the people sheeping mobs. Sheeping things is really boring and tedious after the 3rd pull of having to do it.
There's reports that people in pre-made raid gear having problems on the beta dying to instakill mechanics in heroics. During the next tier, people will still need to think and be awake because they wont be able to eat all that damage.

You may not need to CC, but you surely wont be able to pull large groups. Assuming your group has a lot of raiders in it.

"you will have to sheep and trap mobs in Cataclsym" is vague. Assuming your group has a lot of raiders in it, you may not need to CC, but you surely wont be able to pull large groups. Also, assuming they release new 5 mans, they will need CC.

Sai-kun

Banned
My friend and I went from 3 to 33 today :lol Goddamn leveling is fast with RAF. We're gonna get as many characters to 60 as we can before our Link time expires.

Hey y'all, how come the pet-action-bar is now above this 'aspect-bar'?

I don't like it this way at all.. :(

3W38d.png

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
DeathNote said:
There's reports that people in pre-made raid gear having problems on the beta dying to instakill mechanics in heroics. During the next tier, people will still need to think and be awake because they wont be able to eat all that damage.

You may not need to CC, but you surely wont be able to pull large groups. Assuming your group has a lot of raiders in it.

"you will have to sheep and trap mobs in Cataclsym" is vague. Assuming your group has a lot of raiders in it, you may not need to CC, but you surely wont be able to pull large groups. Also, assuming they release new 5 mans, they will need CC.
Let me reiterate how much you will hate CCing shit. The people who claim to like CCing crap either a) weren't around for TBC/Vanilla or b) are poopsockers who probably liked grinding out resist gear.

It's neat the first 3 pulls and then quickly becomes tedious as fuck, especially when you realize you hate all those dungeons anyways regardless of layout, mobs, etc.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
After going through Stonetalon and Southern Barrens as Horde, I gotta say that Garrosh and his immediate high command are completely badass. No messing around, no chicken-shit antics, and if you're Tauren or Troll then you're considered an ally for life. Those that step out of line continually get their heads knocked in.

glaurung

Banzaiaap said:
Hey y'all, how come the pet-action-bar is now above this 'aspect-bar'?

I don't like it this way at all.. :(

3W38d.png
The new default location for the pet commands is actually on the right, replacing the hovering customizable commands bar.

I don't like it either, but they moved it there to make room for the aspect hotbar.

If you don't want to look at that crap, move your customized commands to the right vertical hotbar. That's what I did.

Except 4.0.3 broke my game and I cannot pay at all, getting the ambiguous #132 error ten seconds to three minutes after logging in and crashing the game. If Blizzard does not fix that with Cataclysm, I will cancel my subscription.

Lolligag

Have you tried deleting the Cache folder in the World of Warcraft>Data folder?
Do not delete the Cache folder that's in the WoW folder, it's the one in the Data folder.

That seems to be an extremely common fix for your problem for 4.0.3.

glaurung said:
Except 4.0.3 broke my game and I cannot pay at all, getting the ambiguous #132 error ten seconds to three minutes after logging in and crashing the game. If Blizzard does not fix that with Cataclysm, I will cancel my subscription.
Like Lolligag points out, try deleted the Cache folder and maybe try to rename the WTF folder? To something like WTF_OLD ?

Lolligag

Angry Grimace said:
Let me reiterate how much you will hate CCing shit. The people who claim to like CCing crap either a) weren't around for TBC/Vanilla or b) are poopsockers who probably liked grinding out resist gear.

It's neat the first 3 pulls and then quickly becomes tedious as fuck, especially when you realize you hate all those dungeons anyways regardless of layout, mobs, etc.
I use to like CCing. Especially as a hunter because it showed some skill. Having to grab aggro on a specific mob and dragging it over the trap, sometimes setting a 2nd trap for it(before the stupid nerf).

This wasn't relying on marks either. Generally used CC as the puller and if CC is slow, I'd just pull anyway as a tank. Also use to replace tanks that would stand there for a minute, clicking the drop down menu to mark, you can keybind that... Thankfully most runs were within the guild for heroics.

When marks were introduced in Vanilla, I never touched them outside of raids. CC wasn't necessary for normal content anyway, with 10-15 people. Dungeon crawling mostly stopped by the time they nerfed the size for all the dungeons.

HildyB

So, I was looking into the Worgen casting animation. Anyone who was in beta know if they fixed the timing on that? The casting animation is pretty awesome, but the projectile shoots from the top right and before the animation is finished, anyone know if that got tweaked before beta ended?

KJTB

Entropia said:
Taking a break from my Troll Warlock to do quests on my Shaman. The Redridge questline is so damn awesome.

Redridge was pretty nice :D

Just hit 55 on my new druid alt... kinda not looking forward to outlands/northrend :lol

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Dipindots said:

Just hit 55 on my new druid alt... kinda not looking forward to outlands/northrend :lol

The best solution is... to make another alt! Try a race who is on another continent, or try a race from the other faction. And let the one who just hit outlands gather all that nice rested XP.

Dipindots said:

You guys are stressing too much on Outlands. =)

It took me very little time, and by just doing dungeons (which was amazingly efficient), I got through to 68 and didn't do a quest outside of Hellfire Peninsula.

Northrend, on the other hand, is a bit more tedious. However, I just hit 77 and have only done Howling Fjord.

HildyB

SnakeswithLasers said:
You guys are stressing too much on Outlands. =)

It took me very little time, and by just doing dungeons (which was amazingly efficient), I got through to 68 and didn't do a quest outside of Hellfire Peninsula.

Northrend, on the other hand, is a bit more tedious. However, I just hit 77 and have only done Howling Fjord.

Northrend will be reduced soon enough though.

Wow, just WOW. I requested an address change for my collectors ed. of Cataclysm because Amazon kept generating errors anytime I tried. I hit them up and asked them to change my address for me. I guess they received the same error I was getting AND CANCELED MY ORDER, suggesting I re-order my collectors edition I had preordered since it was announced. I can't re order something that has been sold out for months. What the fuck! FUCK those guys.

I have all the collectors editions and am now screwed. What are the odds I can walk into Best Buy or Fry's and picking one up?

Infinitemadness said:
I have all the collectors editions and am now screwed. What are the odds I can walk into Best Buy or Fry's and picking one up?

Pretty good. I got screwed out of my CE for Wrath so I just showed up at BB about an hour early on release day and I got one there. But obviously YMMV depending on how high demand is in your area.

HildyB said:
Northrend will be reduced soon enough though.
Northrend has already been hit by the 20% xp nerf. But it still takes a while when compared to Outland or 1-60 content. (In the grand scheme of MMO levels grinds it's really nothing of course.)

For people wondering about Northrend now, I tend to get about 2 bubbles of xp for a dungeon run. The runs usually only take around 15 minutes, so that's pretty quick leveling. I'm just impatient to get some heroics in at 80 prior to Cataclysm to practice healing.

mclem

I'm curious as to why they even bother with worrying about breaking street date, really. It's not like anyone can use it 'til someone flicks the big switch on the servers, so they may as well release the box a week before it goes live and give people plenty of time to get it to ensure that the servers crash on the dot on launch night.

Bisnic

SnakeswithLasers said:
Northrend has already been hit by the 20% xp nerf. But it still takes a while when compared to Outland or 1-60 content. (In the grand scheme of MMO levels grinds it's really nothing of course.)

For people wondering about Northrend now, I tend to get about 2 bubbles of xp for a dungeon run. The runs usually only take around 15 minutes, so that's pretty quick leveling. I'm just impatient to get some heroics in at 80 prior to Cataclysm to practice healing.

I wouldnt waste too much time "praticing" healing in the current heroics. Tanks are so overgeared, they barely need any serious healing. Whatever healing you'll do, it won't prepare you for harder 5 mans that require CC, cleansing and other kind of stuff people dont even bother to do right now.

HildyB

Infinitemadness said:
Wow, just WOW. I requested an address change for my collectors ed. of Cataclysm because Amazon kept generating errors anytime I tried. I hit them up and asked them to change my address for me. I guess they received the same error I was getting AND CANCELED MY ORDER, suggesting I re-order my collectors edition I had preordered since it was announced. I can't re order something that has been sold out for months. What the fuck! FUCK those guys.

Better than you would think. 10AM most people are stuck at work, and the real hardcore folks went to a midnight launch. My wife grabbed her LK CE at a BestBuy at 10am, she went at 9am and hung out. Walked in, nabbed it off the table in the front of store and walked out.

Bisnic said:
I wouldnt waste too much time "praticing" healing in the current heroics. Tanks are so overgeared, they barely need any serious healing. Whatever healing you'll do, it won't prepare you for harder 5 mans that require CC, cleansing and other kind of stuff people dont even bother to do right now.
I agree that there is a lot of truth to that, but I have close to zero experience healing now, so I feel that any practice will be better than none. I also really need to learn the proper use of the tools that paladins have, and the only way to do that is through using them. I really don't want to jump into Cata healing after doing nothing but WotLK tanking.

Bisnic

SnakeswithLasers said:
I agree that there is a lot of truth to that, but I have close to zero experience healing now, so I feel that any practice will be better than none. I also really need to learn the proper use of the tools that paladins have, and the only way to do that is through using them. I really don't want to jump into Cata healing after doing nothing but WotLK tanking.

Well, you don't need to wait to be lvl 80 and do heroics to practice healing. If anything, it's harder to heal the regular ones while lvling. :lol

Except maybe the heroic ICC 5 mans i guess. Mostly HOR.

nataku

So, I leveled past the level range for Deadmines and now it doesn't show in my dungeon finder list. Is there any way to queue up through that still, or do I need to shout that I'm LFG for it now and hope someone takes pity on a Hunter and invites me? :(

I completely forgot about the dungeon and before I knew it I hit 22 and it disappeared my the list of dungeons I could do.

EDIT: Maybe I missed it because I haven't got a single quest for the dungeon. I did get one when I went into it, but other than that I haven't come across any, which is surprising.

Flib

nataku said:
So, I leveled past the level range for Deadmines and now it doesn't show in my dungeon finder list. Is there any way to queue up through that still, or do I need to shout that I'm LFG for it now and hope someone takes pity on a Hunter and invites me? :(

I completely forgot about the dungeon and before I knew it I hit 22 and it disappeared my the list of dungeons I could do.

EDIT: Maybe I missed it because I haven't got a single quest for the dungeon. I did get one when I went into it, but other than that I haven't come across any, which is surprising.

You can't queue for it, or queue with lower levels for it. All quests are inside of the dungeons now.

Bisnic said:
Well, you don't need to wait to be lvl 80 and do heroics to practice healing. If anything, it's harder to heal the regular ones while lvling. :lol

Except maybe the heroic ICC 5 mans i guess. Mostly HOR.
Ya, I've been healing a lot more lately and have been trying to heal exclusively for the last level. I just want to get to 80 and get to the ICC 5 man Heroics. I'm so bad at pally healing that I'm sure the practice, even with an op group, will do me good.

Anyone know if it's completely nuts to generate holy power in melee using crusader strike on my healer? I'm loving this, but have a feeling it isn't a good long term strategy.

Guys I only have caters (mage and lock) and wanted to try out a melee class. I tend to play instances and a few pvp matches here and there.
Now I wonder what class is less gear dependant in order to perform well, warr or rogue? I wont be raiding so no high lvl gear

Flib said:
You can't queue for it, or queue with lower levels for it. All quests are inside of the dungeons now.
Yeah, quests inside of dungeons is cool. But last night I queued up and ran several instances with the same group. Eventually we were thrown into Mauradon and we never received a single quest for the dungeon. It was weird, we just ran through the whole place and killed everything, not a single quest popped up.

Anyone ever run into something like that? I guess it was a glitch...

LowParry

Melhisedek said:
Guys I only have caters (mage and lock) and wanted to try out a melee class. I tend to play instances and a few pvp matches here and there.
Now I wonder what class is less gear dependant in order to perform well, warr or rogue? I wont be raiding so no high lvl gear

If you plan to PvP, Rogue all the way. Warriors don't do so well however they are fantastic for PvE.

Reluctant-Hero said:
Yeah, quests inside of dungeons is cool. But last night I queued up and ran several instances with the same group. Eventually we were thrown into Mauradon and we never received a single quest for the dungeon. It was weird, we just ran through the whole place and killed everything, not a single quest popped up.

Not high enough in level is my guess. Happened to me in Blackrock Spire.

Flib

Reluctant-Hero said:

Which wing did it put you in?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
SnakeswithLasers said:
Ya, I've been healing a lot more lately and have been trying to heal exclusively for the last level. I just want to get to 80 and get to the ICC 5 man Heroics. I'm so bad at pally healing that I'm sure the practice, even with an op group, will do me good.

Anyone know if it's completely nuts to generate holy power in melee using crusader strike on my healer? I'm loving this, but have a feeling it isn't a good long term strategy.
I'm actually suspect that you could even get the gear for the LFG to let you into the ICC 5 mans in a reasonable time. Cataclysm is 8 days away.

HildyB

nataku said:

The Westfall Quest line is cool, takes you up to the Deadmines but never tells you to go in. Once inside, it has it's own quests with a handy teleporter to take you back to the top after every boss to hand in and get the next quest. I never got the last quest finished because I out leveled the dungeon on my last run. Very annoying.

Redridge (your next stop) doesn't have a dungeon, but has some epic encounters along it's quest line :)

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
SnakeswithLasers said:

I generally just use holy shock to generate holy power.

nataku

HildyB said:
The Westfall Quest line is cool, takes you up to the Deadmines but never tells you to go in. Once inside, it has it's own quests with a handy teleporter to take you back to the top after every boss to hand in and get the next quest. I never got the last quest finished because I out leveled the dungeon on my last run. Very annoying.

Redridge (your next stop) doesn't have a dungeon, but has some epic encounters along it's quest line :)

Yeah, I actually just finished up Redridge after I posted that. I'm loving the new quests they're putting in. Seeing old areas I've been to before change so much is a lot of fun.

It's disappointing I can't queue for Deadmines, but oh well I guess. I doubt I'll find anyone randomly accepting people shouting for a group so I guess I'll just skip it then solo it when I'm high enough, just to see how it was redone. I'll just have to make sure to keep an eye on level ranges for any future dungeons.

HildyB

nataku said:
It's disappointing I can't queue for Deadmines, but oh well I guess. I doubt I'll find anyone randomly accepting people shouting for a group so I guess I'll just skip it then solo it when I'm high enough, just to see how it was redone. I'll just have to make sure to keep an eye on level ranges for any future dungeons.

The ending of DM had me going "NO F'ING WAY!" then laughing. Well worth it.

Bisnic

Are Deadmines & SFK the only classic 5 mans that got a nice update with Cataclysm? I know it's mostly because they are also lvl 85 heroics that they even bothered to change them, but i was wondering if everything else is still the same old "Run, kill trash, kill simple boss that is basically just tank & spank."

notworksafe

VC, Stocks, and SFK got the biggest upgrades. I believe they all got some minor tweaking to make them easier...for better or worse. RFC got a level upgrade and they moved some bosses around, I know.

Angry Grimace said:
I'm actually suspect that you could even get the gear for the LFG to let you into the ICC 5 mans in a reasonable time. Cataclysm is 8 days away.
If I don't, I don't... Like I said, it's just what I'd like to do. I've never done HoR in Heroic (I quit before the ICC 5 mans were in the game and started on my alt a bit after returning in October) and want to play it.

Doesn't seem like that offensive of a goal, right? I'm just playing to have fun after all. :D

Flib

notworksafe said:
VC, Stocks, and SFK got the biggest upgrades. I believe they all got some minor tweaking to make them easier...for better or worse. RFC got a level upgrade and they moved some bosses around, I know.

The lower levels dungeons are more difficult than they were in 3.3. The bosses have way more health and everything hits harder. They just cleared out some of the packs a bit.

notworksafe

I guess I should say "less confusing". Bosses have been moved or removed and some places have been redesigned to be a bit more streamlined.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom